REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #10526
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...027830?cmp=rss
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #10527
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Damn, he sought help too
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #10528
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Good article. Genuinely makes me a bit worried as I believe him when he says he wasn’t properly informed.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #10529
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
I’ll walk if the second dose is AZ.

If the choice was between AZ and nothing honestly I’d probably take nothing lol.. guy would have been fine and almost certainly would have survived covid without taking the az but now he’s gonna he fucked for life

I get numbers are numbers, but this isn’t like hepatitis or TB etc. Buddy would have certainly taken any “long term” covid effects over losing half his guts
Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #10530
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,090 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
Yah ... "eff those boomers who didn't line up for 4 hrs to get the AZ vaccine when it was offered and waited a few more weeks for the Pfizer and Moderna." Just look back a few pages to see that sentiment expressed by some otherwise reasonable individuals here.

And no ... the stats for blood clot is NOT the same for AZ, Pfizer, and Moderna.

The drip drip bad news of AZ is what was legitimately a concern. You don't have to be an effin anti-vaxxer to say no thanks to AZ.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #10531
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,098 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
That’s my coworker’s buddy. Scary stuff. I was a little bummed I had to pass on AZ while we were self-isolating but quite happy to have got Pfizer yesterday just a few weeks later. Might’ve dodged a bullet there.

Arm is quite a bit more sore today and I’m feeling a little off for sure. Not quite nauseous but almost.. definitely cloudy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #10532
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
The most eye catching piece from that article:

Quote:
He predicts — based on global trends — that adverse effects could potentially hit one in every 22,000 people who get the AstraZeneca jab — five times what was predicted.
Canada needs to stop the AZ roll out immediately if those numbers are even half correct. This AZ debacle has got people skeptical about vaccines even more hesitant to take one, even if it's one of the rMNA's.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #10533

Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,207 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Got my Moderna shot today, my scheduled appointment was at 3:00pm, showed up at 2:30pm and was out by 3pm, no wait times.

With flu shots, I'm totally okay with. But with this vaccine shot, it was completely a different hit. Didn't really feel the needle but I felt the fluids going through my left arm.

As of 8pm, my left arm is pretty sore and a bit numb on my left leg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #10534
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
VPD used Air 1 to disperse beach-goers Sat night

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...xEKq4li8Eyd-EE

what drive-by shootings
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:07 PM   #10535
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,256 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
VPD used Air 1 to disperse beach-goers Sat night

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...xEKq4li8Eyd-EE

what drive-by shootings
In defense of the helicopter not being used for the YVR incident, it probably happened too quickly, and their response time is terrible compared to a high crime city in the US.

But using Air 1 to disperse beach goers? Is that good use of police resources?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #10536

apparently it’s not a new tactic, I sure hope it was already in the air and they just asked for a detour

there’s more than 1 around in case the other has to refuel/do maintenance but not sure how feasible it is to have it up often/ how fast it can be deployed and it covers a large area
Old 05-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #10537
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,117 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Damn, he sought help too
Quote:
Her husband was vaccinated on April 22 and ended up in emergency surgery on May 9. She said that he initially felt nauseous but symptoms progressed to fever, headache and vomiting. Each time he felt ill he called his doctor or the HealthLinkBC line at 811 and was advised to stay home — even after going in to have a test for COVID-19 — which turned out to be negative.
this is damning. at the very least this situation needs to be carefully reviewed.

this seems to be less about VITT and more about being blown off by doctors when he knew something was wrong. Same thing happened w the woman in edmonton, who was sent him from the ER instead of being thoroughly checked

obviously these are trying times, but it's extremely disappointing that people can't get help until it's too late.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #10538
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,090 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
Obviously this is not anything remotely close to 'compensation'. Nothing can replace what the guy (& others) went through but the government saw this coming.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...t-program.html

It's like car companies setting aside a fund to pay off injuries or death as a result of defective parts vs. doing a full recall.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:50 PM   #10539
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
All governments have indemnity programs for the vaccines. When you pass a drug through quickly for emergency use you kind of have to.

It's also why most were quick to halt AZ vaccines as soon as things started looking screwy.

It doesn't help anyone to pretend it's not a big deal when people keep getting bloodclots. I don't know why people keep doing that here
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:41 AM   #10540
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
Taiwan up to 300 cases a day. Thailand had just under 10K cases today, most of which are in their prisons

Maybe the countries that "had it easy" over the past year are going to learn the hard way that they can't just "wait it out" as the rest of the world gets vaccinated. They're going to have to do it too.

And these places are still acting like it's March 2020

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:02 AM   #10541
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
All governments have indemnity programs for the vaccines. When you pass a drug through quickly for emergency use you kind of have to.

It's also why most were quick to halt AZ vaccines as soon as things started looking screwy.

It doesn't help anyone to pretend it's not a big deal when people keep getting bloodclots. I don't know why people keep doing that here
No ones pretending the blood clots aren’t a big deal. Certainly not anymore than people are acting like covid isn’t a big deal.
This is the way science works. Things evolve as the sample size gets bigger, and if it evolves in this direction, certainly things should be put on hold, especially with the shipments of moderna and Pfizer ramping up.
However UK is still sitting at 209 instances of blood clots in over 22 million people, so now the question is why is that number expected to go up so drastically in the rest of the world?
As said, the issue here was more about the medical treatment he received than the vaccine. The second he called he should have either had an ambulance sent out or have been told to get to the hospital ASAP.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #10542
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,275 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
We've been living with Covid for over a year. No one's saying it's not a big deal, but the wait difference between getting an AZ shot and one of the Pfizer/Moderna shots was a matter of a few weeks. Meanwhile the government is telling you the first shot available is the best one, and then suddenly "Uhhh maybe not, but you made the right choice if you took it and didn't end up with a life altering complication!"
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #10543
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
You’re saying that based on current knowledge, not the knowledge that we had a few weeks ago.
If we had continued at the pace we did a couple months ago we wouldn’t have been talking about a few weeks, we’d be talking a few extra months. Turning down the az shot today, is a whole lot different than turning it down 2 months ago. No one I know can predict the future, so the decisions someone made in March definitely wasn’t based on the info we have here in may.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #10544

Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,546 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
I got the AZ shot, while I am not TOO concerned about blood clot side effects, this opinion piece by local author Douglas Coupland summarized my thoughts/concerns pretty well:

https://archive.is/2QsaO

Quote:
So, do I mind getting a different vaccine as a booster? Not necessarily. Am I pissed off? Yes. I’m pissed off because I’m imagining a room full of politicians, not scientists, somewhere in Ottawa, having a meeting to try and gloss over this latest vaccine fiasco. I’m imagining someone’s personal assistant putting up their arm and suggesting, “Maybe we can turn this into a plus. Maybe if we allow people to choose their second shot, they’ll perceive it as a fun and empowering bonus. An opportunity even!” And then all the heads in the room nod and say, “You know, I think you’re onto something.”
Quote:
Comments sections being what they are I received several patronizing replies from readers saying that vaccines are safe and effective and that there’s nothing to worry about. This little smugfest failed to address the actual issue, that of politicians making up pretend science to cover their butts. Immunology is not a smorgasbord. How dare you make us subsidize your cluelessness with our bodies.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #10545
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
We've been living with Covid for over a year. No one's saying it's not a big deal, but the wait difference between getting an AZ shot and one of the Pfizer/Moderna shots was a matter of a few weeks. Meanwhile the government is telling you the first shot available is the best one, and then suddenly "Uhhh maybe not, but you made the right choice if you took it and didn't end up with a life altering complication!"
Not only that, the immunization board came out and basically said the AZ shot was in fact inferior and the govt. still tried to push the idea that the best shot was the first one you could get only until they saw the Pfizer Moderna shots arriving and then essentially backtrack on that by pulling AZ as the first dose.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #10546

Taiwan only has the az shot though so those Facebook scares from aunties turned out somewhat warranted. They made it this far so I’ll give the govt benefit of doubt to get mrna ones soon or stay on schedule to mfg indigenously but certainly the public needs to change their mindset sitting on its laurels and getting too comfortable with normal
Old 05-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #10547

the issue with the clot may also be underreported

if the system didn’t act timely enough for this guy who had lost part of his guts how many more did they turn away?

health canada should just be honest/careful about continually using the term extremely rare
Old 05-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #10548
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
When I was trying to decide whether or not to sign up for the AZ shot or wait for the Pfizer/Moderna shot, I went to this site to look at forecasted vaccine schedules:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...e-rollout.html

I remember seeing that back in April, Pfizer was at ~1m nationwide, but then it was forecasted to jumped to ~2m (double all previous shipments) in the first week of May. The number of AZ shots coming the future also did not give me much confidence in receiving a second dose.

I decided then and there that I would wait and see until the first 2 weeks of May and hopefully they will move to my age group. Good thing because I got my Pfizer shot on May 10 and was able to skip the anxiety caused by an AZ shot.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #10549
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,275 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You’re saying that based on current knowledge, not the knowledge that we had a few weeks ago.
If we had continued at the pace we did a couple months ago we wouldn’t have been talking about a few weeks, we’d be talking a few extra months. Turning down the az shot today, is a whole lot different than turning it down 2 months ago. No one I know can predict the future, so the decisions someone made in March definitely wasn’t based on the info we have here in may.
We knew a couple of months ago that AZ was linked to blood clots, we just didn't know how bad it was. What we all knew was that there were two other options that weren't linked to them, which is why I was against taking the AZ shot from the start.

It's more upsetting that people took how rare problems were as gospel and pretty much made doubters sound stupid for not wanting it injected into their body. Now more cases pop up and it's "Ah well back then the data said..."
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #10550
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
We knew a couple of months ago that AZ was linked to blood clots, we just didn't know how bad it was. What we all knew was that there were two other options that weren't linked to them, which is why I was against taking the AZ shot from the start.

It's more upsetting that people took how rare problems were as gospel and pretty much made doubters sound stupid for not wanting it injected into their body. Now more cases pop up and it's "Ah well back then the data said..."
Hindsight bias is always 20/20 but I agree.

I think all we can do is learn from this experience and not vilify people next time this comes around. All it takes is for you to be that unlucky statistic and it's all over. Imagine being one of those that have been affected by the AZ blood clots. I don't even know how I'd even begin to live life knowing that there were other safer options out there and I took the jump because the government said it's all good.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote