REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:28 AM   #1226
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 299 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
The elderly and ppl with preexisting conditions have a far higher chance of dying due to covid (Double digit %), we all have ppl in our family who fall into that category, why the fuck would I not take any precautions? Even the basics that doctors are recommending? (frequent hand washing, social distancing, being prepared) if I don't do the basics, it increases their chances of contracting covid... twdm proving once again he's an unreasonable, selfish, idiot
Lol dude. Quote anywhere that I said don't do basic precautions. I said to not make it overblown to more than what it is. Fear leads to disproportionate actions which is what we're seeing today with bucketheads etc. All the people who are calling me selfish probably didn't get their yearly flu vaccine to protect others.

Some people are making claims that the CDC and WHO are taking it too lightly by not telling people to wear masks and avoid travel, gatherings etc. I am saying none of those measures are evidence based and only fear mongering by honestly people who dont know shit and just regurgitate what they read on facebook.
Advertisement
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 01:12 AM   #1227
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 74 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
I think the most important thing is the wash your hands frequently with soap and water and sanitizer (if soap and water is not available), touching your face, eyes, stay home when sick etc.

Telling people to avoid travel and large gatherings, wear masks when outside only spreads fear and distracts from the actual cause of transmission which is poor hygiene and working/going out when sick.

Hand sanitizer is close to non existence right now. So scratch that out. Also employers should enforce the policy that sick employees should not go in to work when sick. I don't see that happening at all. At least Uber is stepping up and paying their drivers while on 14 day quarantine if they get sick on the job.

By the way, let me tell you a true story, there are ppl that I know who came from outbreak countries to Canada for a funeral 2 weeks ago. The border guards told them to self isolate only if they have symptoms, but some ppl can be a carrier of the virus and be asymptomatic during the incubation period. The next day they went all over crystal mall, dimsum places and the funeral. And as of today, nothing has changed. Gov are still letting people in from outbreak countries without mandatory isolation. At most they will tell you to self isolate for 14 days after arrival, but if you are on vacation, u wouldn't want to spend the whole vacation in isolation right? So what do people do? Disregard the information and just go out and possibly spread the virus to Canadian residents. So much for "slowing" down the pandemic. It's not a matter of IF, it is now a matter of WHEN. And at this rate Bonnie and Justin are only speeding up the process, so It's going to be SOON.

If there was some sort of gate keeping, or some sort of reassurance through action rather than repeated words like "situation in b.c stable" or "remains low risk", I bet you less people would be panicking /worried. But the 6 new cases yesterday at senior home just proved people should be worried. They allowed people back from cruise ship in Cali & Iran without quarantine.

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 03-08-2020 at 01:31 AM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #1228
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
What's interesting is how it appears our society is completely incapable of doing anything when these pandemics get going, regardless of how advanced we think we are. Instead of doing everything we can, we are all arguing about whether losing 20% of our grandparents is worth washing our hands or not. What happens when the next crazy person from the slums of China or south east Asia eat a live bat while being balls deep in a monkey carcass standing under a 5G tower and a real plague spawns?
The weird thing to me is the sheer resistance to accept that this is may be a serious matter. As in, maybe you won't die if you get it, but it's a legitimate thing to be concerned about. Instead, they have to compare it to the flu, or non-sequiturs like STDs and heart disease. Or car accidents, lottery winning, or meteor strikes. It's like burying your head in the sand and hope there's enough people that are active enough to prevent them from being seriously damaged.

Sure, make fun of the bucket heads and toilet paper hoarders. But don't just laugh off the entire thing. Like what is even the point if their opinion ends up being "right" and thousands (or millions) don't die, and the damage is only a crashed economy. Congratulations?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 03:01 AM   #1229
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
to all those who thinks this virus is not a big deal

would you send your aging parents/family to iran/italy/an infected cruise ship/senior home right now?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:17 AM   #1230
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
There's a conspiracy going around that this virus was man-made for Hong Kong protester but leaked and contaminated its own people in China.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:48 AM   #1231
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

would you send your aging parents/family to iran/italy/an infected cruise ship/senior home right now?
First of all, what kind of a question is that? Iran is a shithole, Italy is on lockdown, an infected cruise ship/senior home is a high risk area because you're stuck in the same area 24/7 with KNOWN INFECTED CASES.

Hell if Italy wasnt on lockdown I'd bring my whole family if you pay the expenses.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 05:51 AM   #1232

Quote:
Hell if Italy wasnt on lockdown I'd bring my whole family if you pay the expenses.
In other words, once the shit hits the fan, THEN you're worried about it. The only difference between Italy and Canada is that it happened in Italy first.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #1233
Banned By Establishment

Failed 275 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:

I wouldn't send them to those places without a virus. Especially cruise ships, you need to be some kinda special to get onto one of those floating environmental disasters packed with thousands of old, fat white people.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #1234
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,137 Times in 3,627 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
What’s the point of arguing this crap.

Over reacting, Ie hoarding the shit out of supplies to last half a year is stupid. But dismissing this virus as a non factor is also stupid. Just be cautions but not extremist in your approach and it’s the best thing for your families.

They being said, I couldn’t help think that going to pacific center yesterday wasn’t the best choice in this situation.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
What’s the point of arguing this crap.

Over reacting, Ie hoarding the shit out of supplies to last half a year is stupid. But dismissing this virus as a non factor is also stupid. Just be cautions but not extremist in your approach and it’s the best thing for your families.

They being said, I couldn’t help think that going to pacific center yesterday wasn’t the best choice in this situation.
Right, that's why I'm done arguing about it. It's like arguing with a climate change denier. What is the point? If they're not going to believe it, then they're not. Just hope there's not enough of them to cause serious harm to the rest of us.

Unfortunately with climate change deniers, it's the billionaires who don't believe it due to the inconvenience, and CAN cause that much harm
Old 03-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #1236
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Failed 37 Times in 21 Posts
Everyone hoarding tp should just invest in a bidet

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #1237
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Right, that's why I'm done arguing about it. It's like arguing with a climate change denier. What is the point? If they're not going to believe it, then they're not. Just hope there's not enough of them to cause serious harm to the rest of us.

Unfortunately with climate change deniers, it's the billionaires who don't believe it due to the inconvenience, and CAN cause that much harm
Sorry you're right. The people who are panicking should go treat the coronavirus patients. I should be more careful and refuse to treat patients even with a mask on because I'm gonna get infected and kill my parents.

This type of selfish behaviour is exactly what causes breakdown in society. I have coworkers who refuse to counsel patients on how to properly use inhalers because they're afraid asthma or COPD patients have coronavirus. But hey, better they die of asthma than me getting infected
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #1238
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,709 Times in 1,581 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
Hand sanitizer is close to non existence right now. So scratch that out.
I was in Blaine yesterday, apparently there's a Nation wide shortage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #1239
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
First of all, what kind of a question is that? Iran is a shithole, Italy is on lockdown, an infected cruise ship/senior home is a high risk area because you're stuck in the same area 24/7 with KNOWN INFECTED CASES.

the argument is not much different than the system that deems it safe to release repeat sex criminals

if it's low risk would you invite them to stay over with your kids/wife?

Quote:
Sorry you're right. The people who are panicking should go treat the coronavirus patients. I should be more careful and refuse to treat patients even with a mask on because I'm gonna get infected and kill my parents.

This type of selfish behaviour is exactly what causes breakdown in society. I have coworkers who refuse to counsel patients on how to properly use inhalers because they're afraid asthma or COPD patients have coronavirus. But hey, better they die of asthma than me getting infected
bolded part in the two quotes is a bit ironic, no?

i dont know where you're trained but the onus of disease is not on the provider

if the masks/gloves runs out and my workplace is no longer safe, i'm walking out

sorry if some medical personnel put their families above the at-risk/their work but i'm sure someone will give you a trophy for being noble
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #1240
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Not going to argue about the virus potential as we are all entitled to our own opinion. I'd leave at that, agree to disagree.

However, even though I think the panic of hoarding on supplies is dumb and not a way to do this. I have said it before, but here it is again, we should stock up at home for the worst case scenario... not just epidemics, but other events such as quakes and whatnot. 2wks would be what I consider normal and extend to a month if you are more risk averse like my wife.

Given our shopping habits and our food distribution infrastructure, most people are used to always shop with at least a week worth of food already anyway. Why not go a tad bit extra, say another week worth of food plus basic supplies such as clean water, toilet papers (seems to be the hot item, I thought I'd throw in here. ), first aids, basic OTC drugs and SANITIZING items. (this last component is important for one's general hygiene anyway... with 2 kids, I carry a lot of cleaning stuff because school is like a breeding bed for virus/bacterias spread).

In short, we are not looking for any major changes, just GET INTO A HABIT of a GOOD hygiene practice and be prepared for anything; something we can see that many people are lacking... hence the panic.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #1241
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
Everyone hoarding tp should just invest in a bidet

You can blow your nose with a bidet?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #1242
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
Bidet is better for plumbing and ur ass also.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #1243
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Japanese toilets r tha best!

BBC just interviewed some hospital workers in northern Italy, and they're exhausted, and overwhelmed, saying there aren't enough rooms, so patients are being placed in the hallways. There's only 7300ish cases across northern italy
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #1244
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Japanese toilets r tha best!

BBC just interviewed some hospital workers in northern Italy, and they're exhausted, and overwhelmed, saying there aren't enough rooms, so patients are being placed in the hallways. There's only 7300ish cases across northern italy
My dad spent 3 days in the hallway here back in 2011 when he had complications from heart surgery, how abnormal is that? Serious question

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #1245
Survivor MOD

Quote:
I am a frontline healthcare professional with 10 years of experience managing these exact types of patients. What medical training do you have?
Since you seem to be the only medical professional posting in this thread do you mind qualifying yourself?

Are you a doctor, registered nurse, epidemiologist, etc?.

Just curious

Old 03-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #1246
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
if the masks/gloves runs out and my workplace is no longer safe, i'm walking out

sorry if some medical personnel put their families above the at-risk/their work but i'm sure someone will give you a trophy for being noble
They have all the proper workwear, masks, gloves etc and they are refusing to do their job.

Should firemen walk out if they think the fire is too dangerous? Should police walk away from a hostage situatiom if they think the situation is too dangerous? These people are healthcare professionals not fast food clerks.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #1247
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
Since you seem to be the only medical professional posting in this thread do you mind qualifying yourself?

Are you a doctor, registered nurse, epidemiologist, etc?.

Just curious

I am a clinical pharmacist specializing in ICU/medical ward care. I am working in Hong Kong where everyone is scared shitless. Compared to SARS where people banded together to help the sick, you now have people threatening to walk off the job, setting fires to designated treatment clinics, rampant NIMBY and racial discrimination.

Ever wonder how it would feel if your family member was one of the infected? Healthcare workers refusing to help them? So yes, let's keep spreading the panic, hate, and bigotry. Eventually you're gonna start seeing people hating on the Chinese, then the Italians, then the Iranians. Who cares about real life data. Let's just make decisions based on emotions. That's how medicine works. Duhhhh.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #1248
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
In other words, once the shit hits the fan, THEN you're worried about it. The only difference between Italy and Canada is that it happened in Italy first.
No. What's the point of going to Italy if you cant go anywhere and everything is closed.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #1249
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
I am a clinical pharmacist specializing in ICU/medical ward care. I am working in Hong Kong where everyone is scared shitless. Compared to SARS where people banded together to help the sick, you now have people threatening to walk off the job, setting fires to designated treatment clinics, rampant NIMBY and racial discrimination.

Ever wonder how it would feel if your family member was one of the infected? Healthcare workers refusing to help them? So yes, let's keep spreading the panic, hate, and bigotry. Eventually you're gonna start seeing people hating on the Chinese, then the Italians, then the Iranians. Who cares about real life data. Let's just make decisions based on emotions. That's how medicine works. Duhhhh.
I think people banded together during SARS because we all didn't know what it was, and most haven't experienced it in their lifetime.

Sometimes it's good to have previous experience, so technically, you should be well prepared for it. But the other end of the spectrum is, people remember how bad it was, and panic at even the slightest thing because they afraid of what could happen.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #1250
Survivor MOD

Quote:
I am a clinical pharmacist specializing in ICU/medical ward care.
Thank you. My question wasnt a personal attack just helps me understand your rationale and give weight to the value of your arguements.

Edit: as a clinical pharmacist do you come into direct contact with persons who are infected or dispense medication for medical staff to administer?

Quote:
I do wonder about how I would feel if my family member was infected. I would hope that they receive fair and equal treatment to the best of the medical staffs ability to be able to care for them.

I could see an adversity by health care staff in wanting to help those that are infected. They are human after all and their survival mechanisms are kicking in. I'm sure not everyone thought about treating people who were infected with a virus when they joined the medical profession.

I dont see a spread of panic or hate in this thread per se. Nothing really malicious just a sense of precaution mixed in with some racial bias.

Havent noticed any racism or hatred in the LMD targeting specific minorities. Just the odd facebook post that shows asians in make shift cbrne gear shopping costco.

Is there racism and hate going on in HK?