REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #12776
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,724 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
I went to the movies recently. They checked my name on the passport against my ID but didn't scan anything. I guess it's kind of a crapshoot as to how they "enforce" this.
Advertisement
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #12777
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
My friend said a restaurant checked his QR code and ID, but didn't bother telling him to remove his mask to compare the ID with his face. lol.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #12778
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
What are the odds that someone stole an ID and managed to download the matching vaccine passport? Does your friend really think it needs to go that far? People are going into a restaurant not skipping the country while a warrant is out for their arrest.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #12779
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,380 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 51 Times in 26 Posts
a couple of restaurants i went to, scanned the QR code and looked at the ID, some didn't even check QR code/ID
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #12780
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
What are the odds that someone stole an ID and managed to download the matching vaccine passport? Does your friend really think it needs to go that far? People are going into a restaurant not skipping the country while a warrant is out for their arrest.
Sure but if you don't have at least a reasonably high level of compliance, it will fall apart very quickly and it will have ended up being a total waste of time.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #12781
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
they still have options like corduroy

CoV never pulled their license eh
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #12782
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
I don't think my friend really cares.
It's just that if it sounds like such a big deal, he didn't expect it to be half assed when it came to checking.

I mean, the chances someone even stole a QR code is already pretty unlikely.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #12783
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
They don't need to steal ID for a QR code, they could just have a friend/relative/etc send em their screenshot, and then the anti vax collective would just share it in their group chats

Edit: Ohhhh I see the rest of the convo nevermind
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #12784

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,248 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
They don't need to steal ID for a QR code, they could just have a friend/relative/etc send em their screenshot, and then the anti vax collective would just share it in their group chats

Edit: Ohhhh I see the rest of the convo nevermind
Wait, if someone was anti-vax, why would they pretend that they got the vaccine and have their rights oppressed?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #12785

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Sure but if you don't have at least a reasonably high level of compliance, it will fall apart very quickly and it will have ended up being a total waste of time.
It's just like people underage drinking. It still happens, and people still get their hands on booze if they are under 19. I sure know I did, but that said, it was certainly not as easy as just walking in and buying it somewhere most of the time. It was still a deterrent.
The way the government has rolled it out has been a waste more than it needs to be though. It should be easy for it to be in the password protected BC care card app that clearly has our name, DOB and should have our face as well, but instead they made this half assed screen shot in your photos the way to do it. If they were going to roll it out it should have been developed, or they should have used the time since to develop it further.
That said, we have asked maybe 6-10 people to leave since it started, the rest of people have walked in with an id and passport ready to go with no issues for the most part.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #12786
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
It's just like people underage drinking. It still happens, and people still get their hands on booze if they are under 19. I sure know I did, but that said, it was certainly not as easy as just walking in and buying it somewhere most of the time. It was still a deterrent.
The way the government has rolled it out has been a waste more than it needs to be though. It should be easy for it to be in the password protected BC care card app that clearly has our name, DOB and should have our face as well, but instead they made this half assed screen shot in your photos the way to do it. If they were going to roll it out it should have been developed, or they should have used the time since to develop it further.
That said, we have asked maybe 6-10 people to leave since it started, the rest of people have walked in with an id and passport ready to go with no issues for the most part.
I just think with all the stories people are posting here, it won't be long before it's not effect as a deterrent whatsoever... I guess it depends on how many people really are using random screenshots and whatnot.. If it's just a few antivax weirdos it doesn't matter... What percentage is even antivax in BC?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #12787

1/10 people(ish) aren't vaccinated. Those odds mean that 1/10 restaurant owners/managers/those in charge of checking aren't vaccinated, so word of that will travel pretty fast if people aren't being checked because those that don't think they are doing enough will tell everyone, and those that want to give their antivax business to the "vaccine nazis" will also tell everyone.
Like I said, we've only had a few people in the last few weeks not clearly ready to show proof. At 300-400 people a day those odds seem pretty good. They need to use the right avenue to police it, and just like they do with underage drinkers, they should send people in with the expectation that they show proof of vaccination, and if they aren't asked, establishments should be fined. If that had been happening I'm sure I'd have heard about it by now with the amount of people I (and people I work/have worked with) know in the industry. Word travels fast.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #12788
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,233 Times in 424 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
they still have options like corduroy

CoV never pulled their license eh
They apparently went to counter service, like fast food so they now fall under the exempt category.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #12789
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Been to a few restuarants and half scanned the QR code and checked for matching ID and some just looked at the QR code and ID.... None asked us to remove our masks. Theres obviously soo many ways to get into restuarants without being vaccinated.

i think i knew about 15 people who were not vaccinated but after the QR code thing, its gone down to 2 people.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #12790
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
I've been to restaurants 3 times, and they have properly scanned mine and my friends QR codes every time. I don't think I really want to go back to a place that doesn't put in the effort to do it properly.
Liquid_o2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #12791
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,101 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
i went to two restaurants this weekend, both of them asked for my ID to go along with my QR code.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #12792

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
I've been out to eat twice now that this thing has been implemented:

Restaurant #1: Scanned everyone's QR code first, then looked at everyone's ID afterwards, so they weren't really checking names to make sure the names matched up or anything.

Restaurant #2: Just checked that we had the QR code, did not scan and did not check ID.

What I found really odd was that I was at Western Speedway this weekend, sold out crowd (3000 people) jammed up like sardines in the bleachers but no Vaccine Card requirement. I get that it's outside, but people are literally hovering overtop of others, and if anything the hillbillies of langford are probably the least likely in Victoria to be vaccinated. I was scratching my head over that one a bit.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #12793

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I just think with all the stories people are posting here, it won't be long before it's not effect as a deterrent whatsoever... I guess it depends on how many people really are using random screenshots and whatnot.. If it's just a few antivax weirdos it doesn't matter... What percentage is even antivax in BC?
I think the BC Government knew this program wouldn't have the sharpest teeth
The only real way to enforce this is by either:
A) A restaurant being reported for non-compliance
or
B) Random checks by officials, same way they do liquor license checks

I doubt they increased budgets for inspectors to do those checks. And with the government basically leaving restaurants to fend for themselves in dealing with the antivax crazies, many restaurants probably don't want to deal with the hassle so just put up a weak façade to look like they're following it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #12794
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Been to a few places here in ON that are checking our PDF/hardcopy receipt of a 2nd dose along with government issued ID to accompany it now that our Vaccine Certificate program is in effect. Next month they are suppose to release the app that will have a QR code.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #12795
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Been to probably a dozen places now and I've been to a total of ONE restaurant that has done the correct procedure checking. Some places only check QR codes. Some scan, some don't. Some check ID, some don't. Some even did it half-assed and correctly checked for some of us but not others in the same party!

I think the trick is to show a QR code without your name on it. If they don't scan it or check your ID, kindly remind them you just showed them a random QR code and anyone could have faked it to get in.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #12796
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Been to a few places here in ON that are checking our PDF/hardcopy receipt of a 2nd dose along with government issued ID to accompany it now that our Vaccine Certificate program is in effect. Next month they are suppose to release the app that will have a QR code.
Are you a tourist or resident of ON? What's your experience with out of province IDs?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #12797
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Are you a tourist or resident of ON? What's your experience with out of province IDs?
I’ve been in Toronto for 5 days so far, every single place that asked for it accepted a photo of my physical card as proof. Many places didn’t check at all
Old 09-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #12798
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Even if it doesn't have a lot of teeth, it is reassuring that say 85-90% of those in the same restaurant are double vaccinated. Assuming 15% fraud ... if that.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #12799
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
ON ID so can't comment.

Every restaurant and recreational facility I've been to has asked to check. They aren't checking certain places deemed essential such as grocery stores, possibly when entering a mall as well. But I believe the actual stores in the mall probably (rather, should) be checking.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #12800
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I think the BC Government knew this program wouldn't have the sharpest teeth
The only real way to enforce this is by either:
A) A restaurant being reported for non-compliance
or
B) Random checks by officials, same way they do liquor license checks

I doubt they increased budgets for inspectors to do those checks. And with the government basically leaving restaurants to fend for themselves in dealing with the antivax crazies, many restaurants probably don't want to deal with the hassle so just put up a weak façade to look like they're following it.
Another dumb feature - If your name has three words, which a majority of asian ethnicities do, it only shows the first two words.

So for example, if you have someone with the name Chan Wong Lee (for example sake), it will only show Chan Wong on the QR Code. That means, anyone with the name Chan Wong ___ can use it and theres no way to actually know even if you check both the ID and QR Code.
G is offline   Reply With Quote