REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #12851
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the virus.
ok, but isn't this generalizing it too much?

According to PHO currently, if someone in your household tests positive, but if you're vaccinated and have a negative test, you don't need to self isolate.

So it prevents SOME people from getting the virus (would depend on circumstances I imagine), and for those that still do, the symptoms are reduced greatly.
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #12852
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I'm Pfizer double vaccinated ...let's just say I would not go to a Covid party. Would you?

I personally know someone double vaccinated who got it. So it's a bit of a roulette. Having said that, this person's symptoms was a lot less than others whom I know were not vaccinated that caught it. So this is what real life evidence is demonstrating.

In your scenario, if you came into contact with someone covid positive, and you do not show any symptoms, you do not need to self isolate regardless.

Last edited by whitev70r; 09-30-2021 at 10:53 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #12853

Quote:
In your scenario, if you came into contact with someone covid positive, and you do not show any symptoms, you do not need to self isolate regardless.
This is a change since vaccines came into play.

Previously, if you were identified as a close contact of a positive case or within the same household, you have to self isolate for 14 days since day of contact regardless of test results or symptoms.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #12854
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Those who say that even at the outset, they knew that this vaccine isn't meant to prevent you from getting Covid is blowing smoke out of their arse. I've been following this just as close as anyone, right from the beginning. They marketed as a prevention of covid.
This is not true whatsoever... You can go back and look at this very thread when the data was first starting to come out. We knew what it was going to be from the very start.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #12855
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Closest corollary to the COVID vaccine is the Flu vaccine. No one says taking the Flu Vaccine is going to stop you from getting the Flu.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #12856
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
This is not true whatsoever... You can go back and look at this very thread when the data was first starting to come out. We knew what it was going to be from the very start.
+1

Science said nothing about covid prevention.

Misinformed dolts on Facebook and TikTok made claims about prevention while they discussed 5g microchips, magnetism, and spike protein shedding
Old 09-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #12857

Ok. When the vaccine was first released and numbers like "Pfizer or Moderna are 85-90% effective" what did that mean to you? Effective at what? Effective in reducing symptoms? Effective in prevention of Covid?

What did you know from the start? Even the epidemiologist didn't know whether you could be a carrier or could catch it if you were vaccinated.

Last edited by whitev70r; 09-30-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #12858
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
It was 85-90% effective in preventing infection. It was reduced to 65%(ish) when the delta variant came on the scene. When you look at the amount of those infected in comparison to population percentages that are vaccinated/unvaccinated, I’d say those numbers are still relatively aligned?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:24 PM   #12859

Granted ...Delta variant threw a bit of a curve and reduced the prevention %.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #12860

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I honestly don’t know, I haven’t been paying as much attention to the numbers lately. But I do think when we look at actual prevention levels they might add up, but it’s hard to tell, because if you’re vaccinated and have no symptoms you aren’t getting tested. That said, if you’re unvaccinated, and have symptoms, you also probably aren’t getting tested cause you don’t think it’s real unless it’s about to kill you. Truthfully we will never know the numbers because it relies too much on the way individuals handle it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #12861

Quote:
Ok. When the vaccine was first released and numbers like "Pfizer or Moderna are 85-90% effective" what did that mean to you? Effective at what? Effective in reducing symptoms? Effective in prevention of Covid?

What did you know from the start? Even the epidemiologist didn't know whether you could be a carrier or could catch it if you were vaccinated.
To varying degrees, it's effective at preventing death, effective at preventing symptoms, effective at preventing spreading. Those three things. Epidemiologists knew it, shared it with us, so we knew it too. If you'd posted the rest of the quote, you'd know this too

If everyone got vaccinated somehow before Delta showed up, we'd have essentially cured covid by now. Things are a bit different now, but vaccination is still required to deal with it.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:29 AM   #12862
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
What's worse is there are stories of Murican's who do not regret their non-vaxxed stance on their death beds.

They claim it is their choice, right or wrong, their choice to make.

Let em go then. Better yet, take em off the ventilators immediately so someone else has a chance of getting treatment.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2021, 06:49 AM   #12863
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Closest corollary to the COVID vaccine is the Flu vaccine. No one says taking the Flu Vaccine is going to stop you from getting the Flu.
This.

I know someone who is double vaxxed that got hit hard with Covid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2021, 07:26 AM   #12864

Quote:
This.

Amectodal, but one person out of the hundreds or thousands of people you know that got the shot and are trying to make life normal again.

But nooo "vACcInEs DoNt WoRk!!!!"
Old 10-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #12865

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
Quote:
This.

obese people or people with declining Lung Heath has a huge effect on how covid will effect you.

getting you're lungs attacked with a virus while its already having issues is a huge problem.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #12866
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
i want to see the stats on those who are double vaxxed and still getting really sick...

what's their general health? age?

i know a few people who are double vaxxed and still got it, but it was limited to the taste and smell issues and headaches but no hospitalizations.
blkgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #12867
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
This.

So that someone probably would of died if they werent double vaxxed. Thats how i see it, but we will never really know unless they test covid on identical twins or something.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #12868

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i want to see the stats on those who are double vaxxed and still getting really sick...

what's their general health? age?

i know a few people who are double vaxxed and still got it, but it was limited to the taste and smell issues and headaches but no hospitalizations.
Adrian Dix posts the stats every day

145 people are really sick with covid in BC today. 14 of them are double vaxxed.

2 of them are under 50 years old.

Unfortunately no other comorbidities are listed, but based on previous stats we can probably assume they're sick in other ways.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #12869
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
ya I saw that table a page or two back...

2 of them are under 50 years old.......just what i was expecting
blkgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #12870
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
So all this talk of Alberta having “only 30 ICU beds left” the system on the brink of collapse etc. clearly this is somewhat hyperbole

So in Florida where they’ve been going full retard since the begging with hundreds of deaths a day, thousands of cases a day, they aren’t in full collapse?

Disney world and all the major theme parks are still open, the state is seemingly fully open for business and travel etc etc. can come and go as you please, virtually no restrictions

Obviously urgent/necessary/optional surgeries are likely cancelled and the resulting trickle down effect on the general health of the residents there. But clearly they are operating almost as usual and just choose to live with the situation?

I would think sooner than later everywhere is going to basically be forced into that type of situation as really, how long can you cater to the unvaccinated? The entire population has to suffer for their choices? Ehhhh
Old 10-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #12871
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,575 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:

It was pretty clear from the start that the efficacy rates stated were based on efficacy of reducing serious/life-threatening COVID symptoms of getting sick, nothing to do with actually carrying the virus or not.

This video was shared widely at the beginning and even they state the efficacy is based on the reduction of symptoms:

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #12872

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Cuz you pay for healthcare in the US, so you get COVID you die at home. I was just talking to a couple who used to live in the States a few years ago. It could cost like $5000 to get an ambulance to drive you to the hospital. It's cheaper to Uber to the hospital.

I'm sure we'll be fully vaccinated if we started charging people or just deduct it from their pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So all this talk of Alberta having “only 30 ICU beds left” the system on the brink of collapse etc. clearly this is somewhat hyperbole

So in Florida where they’ve been going full retard since the begging with hundreds of deaths a day, thousands of cases a day, they aren’t in full collapse?

Disney world and all the major theme parks are still open, the state is seemingly fully open for business and travel etc etc. can come and go as you please, virtually no restrictions

Obviously urgent/necessary/optional surgeries are likely cancelled and the resulting trickle down effect on the general health of the residents there. But clearly they are operating almost as usual and just choose to live with the situation?

I would think sooner than later everywhere is going to basically be forced into that type of situation as really, how long can you cater to the unvaccinated? The entire population has to suffer for their choices? Ehhhh
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #12873

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Had my first run-in with an anti-masker the other day while Shopping with my son at Save-On. I just turned the corner into an aisle and there was a woman to my right looking at some things on the lower shelf, but I didn't really focus on her as I was looking at stuff on the opposite side.

As I walk just past her I hear "Take it off him"? At first I'm like "What? Who's talking to me?".

And then I hear it again coming from her "Take it off him! His mask, he doesn't need it in here". I kind of look at her for a second, stunned, notice that she wasn't wearing a mask, and say to her "Yeah, you don't need to worry about my son thanks" and then keep walking.

Just a bizarre experience that I wasn't expecting.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #12874

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
^^ should have told her he has an exemption
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #12875
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Cuz you pay for healthcare in the US, so you get COVID you die at home. I was just talking to a couple who used to live in the States a few years ago. It could cost like $5000 to get an ambulance to drive you to the hospital. It's cheaper to Uber to the hospital.

I'm sure we'll be fully vaccinated if we started charging people or just deduct it from their pay.
According to a bunch of stats I read a while back I believe like 80-90% of Americans actually have some sort of coverage/insurance so I wouldn’t say that’s really the case

Unless people just die at home because they can’t even afford the deductible I guess