REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #13651
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Swear JDM gotta be Skinny’s troll account lol
Advertisement

Last edited by Hondaracer; 12-16-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #13652
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
The thing with omiricon is that even if you have two shots, 3 shots you can still get it. I'm sure the current vaccines aren't that effective or else the numbers will not go up this quicky. The gov is just trying to hush hush about it and try to get everyone on the third shot. They don't want to create mass panic like how they said no masks required guys, best summer ever, best Christmas ever!

Even if every one is vaccinated in a concert, doesn't mean that ppl aren't positive and it's not being spread since the data shows how infectious it is.

So you can't really just be like hurr Durr I have three shots bro, won't die, you can still get infected and test positive. Which = stay at home quarantine, sick, infect others. I'm sure they don't want massive outbreaks with thousands of cases from a concert. when the modelling is already predicting thousands of cases.

Taiwanese news says 2 shots of mrna gives 40%ish defense, 3= 75

Two doses of AZ = 10-20% or so can't recall, anyhow it was like no defense
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #13653
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Hate to say it but I think we will face some sort of restrictions in the near future, possibly another lockdown. Virus dgaf if we are exhausted or not. Check out this deck published by Ontario Science Advisory Table today. Specifically, look at slide 6-8 related to the severity of Omicron. Even if Omicron is less severe than Delta, it can still overwhelm hospitals if the rate of infection is exponentially higher.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...tions_20211216
  • South Africa is cited as evidence of Omicron’s lower severity, but hospitalizations, ICU occupancy, and in-hospital deaths are rising despite a younger population with some immunity
  • A steep rise in cases in South Africa during the current Omicron wave is followed by a steep rise in hospitalizations, while the rise in deaths currently is less steep than in previous waves
  • Initial data from Denmark indicate that the percentage of cases requiring hospital admission is not lower with Omicron

In Ontario, they are essentially recommending a "circuit breaker" lockdown + boosters immediately.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #13654
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,117 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
won't do much at this point. it's everywhere. i think the city is absolutely full of asymptomatic and mild case carriers

vaccinated people are going to test positive
vaccinated people are going to exhibit some mild symptoms
the virus will continue to do it's job which is to become endemic. can't do that if everybody dies.

Trying to prevent this from happening is futile and not a good reason to destroy the economy again. small business/hospitality/travel/tourism/entertainment/gig the lifeblood of a community. these people deserve to stay the course of the road to recovery, to start to rebuild after making real economic sacrifices over the past 2 years. There's finally a light at the end of the tunnel - and far far too many people are willing to just toss these folks back in the hole to make themselves feel safe (from the comfort of their job security)

get the boosters going (I expect my invite in the next few days) and let it roll.

can I start petition to get the daily numbers reported as percentage of population? it's the exact same metric - i just don't want the media to get to use big numbers to scare people anymore

fixed this for you JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
It's happening, 0.00014% of BC population cases and 0.000027% of BC population ormicon, better go on that vacation before they close the border
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #13655
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
Again, nobody is "trying to prevent covid from happening". We want it to become endemic and achieve "herd immunity" which is impossible with current vaccines (and probably impossible no matter what, since many people around the world don't have access to vaccines)

HOWEVA!

You want that to happen gradually, so hospitals aren't completely overwhelmed.

That's why certain measures need to be taken.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #13656
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
Old, immunocompromised, come on in.
Young, unvaccinated, don’t believe in medicine? Why start now? Here’s a link to a Joe Rogan podcast. Best of luck.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #13657
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,117 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

That's why certain measures need to be taken.
how will we make sure that "certain measures" don't affect the economy disproportionally as they have in each previous instance?

politicians will once again decide who prospers and who crashes and burns.

rinse and repeat...
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #13658
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Weather, real estate and stock prices cannot be predicted after a century of daily data. What makes anyone think a once in a century event with such a short history can be modelled with any accuracy.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #13659

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
how will we make sure that "certain measures" don't affect the economy disproportionally as they have in each previous instance?

politicians will once again decide who prospers and who crashes and burns.

rinse and repeat...
Pretty much every policy in most countries in the world will favor rich people. That's a separate thing that needs to be addressed, but a lot of powerful opposition is making sure that won't happen. Election reform is probably the first step, but again a lot of boot lickers and rich cucks don't want this to change.

When someone who DOES want to make these changes, like Bernie or Ocasio-Cortez, they get campaigned against and turned into laughing stocks, etc
Old 12-16-2021, 10:34 PM   #13660
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Let’s look on the bright side. Each wave is proving to be more infectious BUT milder. A year ago, catching covid was almost a death sentence or a guaranteed trip to the ICU. Now, we are seeing tons of asymptomatic cases everywhere.
Isn’t this how it is supposed to work? Higher infectious rates, but milder cases. Sure, I would love if covid just disappeared, but this is basically the most realistic and positive outcome.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #13661
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Let’s look on the bright side. Each wave is proving to be more infectious BUT milder. A year ago, catching covid was almost a death sentence or a guaranteed trip to the ICU. Now, we are seeing tons of asymptomatic cases everywhere.
Isn’t this how it is supposed to work? Higher infectious rates, but milder cases. Sure, I would love if covid just disappeared, but this is basically the most realistic and positive outcome.
According to the Ontario Science Table findings (that GGnoRE posted), it is inconclusive how Omicron's severity has changed compared to past variants. S.Africa's data suggests that it is ~25% milder, but it has a differently aged population with a different level of community immunity than what we have. Early Danish data is suggesting that Omicron is has roughly the same severity as past variants.

Hospitalizations and death counts have always lagged behind the new infections count by some length of time. So I guess we'd have to look at our own data before we can arrive at anything semi-conclusive.

(And yes, that goal post has just shifted right in front of our eyes again... just like the N-th time that it has done so since March 2020... )
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #13662
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,175 Posts
Failed 61 Times in 23 Posts
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...-update-dec-17

Well, this is not good news.

I traditionally host Xmas dinner for my extended family (19 people) but this year is kinda up in the air - had been hoping to get this restarted after skipping last year. There's one nephew who is now old enough for a shot but the parents have held him back for now and that's become a sticking point for other family members to come out. How are folks dealing with those kinds of decisions?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #13663

During a Pfizer investor call just now, they said they expect covid to be endemic by 2024

So enjoy another year or more of this
Old 12-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #13664
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Pfizer's probably wishing for covid to last forever. $36B in sales just from covid vaccine this year, another $30B next year with R&D costs paid by the govt. $1B in annual sales is considered a blockbuster drug (after pouring hundreds of millions in multi-year R&D).
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #13665
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,090 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
In regards to mild symptoms or harsh symptoms ... that's secondary when it comes to over burdening healthcare and hospitals. It's all a matter of numbers and percentages. Suppose 100 beds is hospital capacity.

Delta - 1000 infections with 10% hospitalization = 100 = capacity.
Omicron - 10,000 infections with 1.5% hospitalization = 150 = over capacity
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #13666
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...-update-dec-17

Well, this is not good news.

I traditionally host Xmas dinner for my extended family (19 people) but this year is kinda up in the air - had been hoping to get this restarted after skipping last year. There's one nephew who is now old enough for a shot but the parents have held him back for now and that's become a sticking point for other family members to come out. How are folks dealing with those kinds of decisions?
Hold off till 2025 and you’ll be ok
Old 12-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #13667
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,774 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
More bad news.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=entnewsntp

(Reuters) - The risk of reinfection with the Omicron coronavirus variant is more than five times higher and it has shown no sign of being milder than Delta, a study by Imperial College London showed, as cases soar across Europe and threaten year-end festivities.

The results were based on UK Health Security Agency and National Health Service data on people who tested positive for COVID-19 in a PCR test in England between Nov. 29 and Dec. 11.

"We find no evidence (for both risk of hospitalisation attendance and symptom status) of Omicron having different severity from Delta," the study said, although it noted that data on hospitalisations remains very limited.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #13668
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,282 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Pre-entry PCR tests are coming back for short trips
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:59 AM   #13669
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Pretty much every policy in most countries in the world will favor rich people. That's a separate thing that needs to be addressed, but a lot of powerful opposition is making sure that won't happen. Election reform is probably the first step, but again a lot of boot lickers and rich cucks don't want this to change.

When someone who DOES want to make these changes, like Bernie or Ocasio-Cortez, they get campaigned against and turned into laughing stocks, etc
Newsflash: you are rich. There are a billion people who would trade places with you. Depends which lens you are looking through.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #13670
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,356 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Pre-entry PCR tests are coming back for short trips
Well there goes any more cross-border shopping trips. Nice while it lasted

In related news, you can now fly back from S. Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, etc!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #13671
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6289497
Old 12-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #13672
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,012 Posts
Failed 198 Times in 123 Posts
No need for shut downs, the economy will shut itself down. That's an easy 5000 cases a day if you only add in Quebec. Thousands of people having to call in sick and stay home to quarantine.

Ontario reports 3,124 new COVID cases as Ford expected to meet with cabinet today

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ases-1.6289571
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #13673
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
We are gonna do separate Christmas dinners now. Grandma is still gonna do the Christmas cooking, and one of the siblings' family -- probably mine -- is gonna be having Christmas dinner there since Grandma helps us with looking after our kid anyway. The other siblings are just going to pick up the turkey and ham from Grandma, and we'll probably do some sort of Zoom / Google Hangout / Facetime thing for a bit during the eating part. Separate Christmas meal with the MIL as well, when we normally would have invited her to join the big family festivities too.

It is what it is, but I don't remember myself resenting this BS nearly as much last year even though things probably looked more bleak last Christmas. As Turd was saying, "this sucks."
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #13674
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
fuck off with the molecular test
at least offer free rapid test
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #13675
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,000 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Welp we fly out to Puerto Vallarta for 3 weeks on Christmas Day.

Better bring my work laptop as I might be down there longer with all this Omicron crap

Ah well.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: