REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #14901
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Moving to Saskatchewan with my pangolin
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #14902
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Moving to Saskatchewan with my pangolin
I wouldn't wish that place on anyone, Armpit of Canada the only place maybe equally as bad is Manitoba hah.

My parents went back there after being here 25 years, been there the last 10 and now they want to retire here.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #14903
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,000 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The 2 months of that being the message already happened, then a wexit supporter and a literal nazi decided to fundraise millions of dollars on a website that decided we don’t actually like the idea of this and returned the money to those that donated only to have people believe that Justin Trudeau quickly became the CEO of gofundme and personally stole all the money.
You think a nice chat is gonna solve this?
Honestly, sometimes you need to fight that rhetoric with the same, simplified answers.

Trudeau is a terrible orator and his messaging is usually crap.

He should simply continue to repeat "Mandates are in place by the US to cross the border, this has nothing to do with any Federal jurisdiction to that degree."

Treat these people like children, repeat the message, and do not allow the propaganda to fester. Many of these people don't even understand that Provinces/Premiers can enact whatever rules they wish, and they have.

This is not a Federal issue (outside of planes/trains, which the carriers would've required such mandates anyways).
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #14904
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Can we make a separate freedumb rally thread or just move this crap to the Canadian politics thread. Not what I come in to the virus thread for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #14905

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,774 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Enough is enough with these right wing fringe groups who are latching on to the truckers' protest. -gotta stop these protesters before things turn ugly and violent.

Take back the city of Ottawa from these Covidiots!

Trudeau's father, Pierre Trudeau, invoked the War Measures Act in 1970. C'mon, Turd, stop being soft!

Be bold and send in the army to get those swastika flag, Confederate flag waving, Trump loving right wing nut jobs, and the Flu Truck Klan so that they go home.

Opinion: The Ottawa occupation is the October Crisis revisited. Justin Trudeau must be bold - The Globe and Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ustin-trudeau/

We’ve been here before. In October 1970, the Front de libération du Québec (FLQ), a cadre of violent separatists that had been sowing chaos since 1963, kidnapped James Cross, the British trade commissioner in Montreal. Then it abducted and murdered Pierre Laporte, a provincial cabinet minister. It issued a manifesto of impossible demands.

Fearing the provincial government might collapse, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act, suspended civil liberties and sent troops into Montreal. Pressed to defend his draconian response, he declared: “There’s a lot of bleeding hearts around that just don’t like to see people with helmets and guns. Well, all I can say is, go on and bleed, but it’s more important to keep law and order in this society.”

Pressed how far he would go, his answer for the ages: “Just watch me.”
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #14906
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
It’s pretty clear even the military doesn’t want a part in forcibly breaking up a peaceful protest. Honking horns isn’t kidnapping and murder.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #14907
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
A great way to make this protest look more legitimate is to become actual victims, as it’s all based around that idea to begin with.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:12 PM   #14908
Performance Moderator

Thanked 17,071 Times in 5,704 Posts
Failed 289 Times in 185 Posts
320icar is right, let's move the freedumb rally stuff to the Canadian Politics thread!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #14909

Honestly guys, if you have these right wing fringe groups start seriously hurting police, police who are out numbered, would you just want Turd to sit on his hands and make a few speeches in the House of Commons to condemn the Flu Truck Klan?

I'm not worried about the moderates, the truckers who have left Ottawa.

I am concerned about the extreme right wing idiots , here in Canada and the US, with a penchant for violence.

Those fuckers are not just anti-government mandates. They are "ANTI government" period.

Something has to be done to bring back peace to the city of Ottawa and its residents.

Clearly, the police do not have the resources in terms number of police and equipment to make these idiot truckers leave.

This is the twelfth day of protests in Ottawa. Things can escalate very quickly with these nut jobs.

Are our government leaders that inept that they would not bring enough assistance to the police and allow things to escalate to violence?

The Ottawa police chief is asking for 1800 police officers. Do we even have 900, half of that number of police officers, in Ottawa??
Old 02-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #14910
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Failed 416 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
320icar is right, let's move the freedumb rally stuff to the Canadian Politics thread!
I created a specific thread for the freedom rally because there are political things happening apart from the rally that warrant discussion.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #14911

Pasta If that’s what you got from this conversation, I’m not sure where to start, so I just won’t.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #14912

Sorry guys, I did not see that new thread about the "Freedom" rally until now.

I will post there.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #14913

Alberta drops passport mandate as of tonight

https://globalnews.ca/news/8603220/a...te-february-8/

Hard to think this doesn't have anything to do with the protests given the immediacy of the order?

Quote:
Beginning Mar. 1, Kenney outlined Stage 2 of the province’s plan which includes a significant removal of several public health restrictions.

Some of the mandates lifted will include:

Indoor masking for all Albertans
All remaining school requirements
Youth screening no longer required for entertainment and sports
Capacity limits removed for all venues
Limits removed on indoor and outdoor gatherings
Work from home mandate lifted

Last edited by Hondaracer; 02-08-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #14914

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
^^ that is madness. Alberta had over 4,600 new cases yesterday. Bc had 3,287 new cases.

Passport aside, removing all those other restrictions will only hurt, not help. I hope BC does not follow suit
Old 02-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #14915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Alberta drops passport mandate as of tonight

https://globalnews.ca/news/8603220/a...te-february-8/

Hard to think this doesn't have anything to do with the protests given the immediacy of the order?

Jason bobason the cheeseburger walrus is letting the park run wild.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2022, 05:08 PM   #14916
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,090 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
Well ... as omicron dies down, the mandates would have eventually been decreased and gradually lifted so if the truckers wait long enough, they can claim victory and that it was their protest.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #14917
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
They already claimed victory for Monday Jan. 31st when Ontario reinstated indoor dining again, which was already announced weeks before the convoy that it was happening. But the truckers subsequently shutdown Rideau Mall for a week because they were harassing shoppers and store employees.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:54 PM   #14918
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
Omicron is finally hitting the fan here and we're up to 600 cases a day (highest number of the 4 previous waves was just over 100). A bunch of mandates take place tomorrow, including a vaccine passport required to enter most public places (markets, restaurants, even malls, but not public transport yet).

On the weekend I made a haircut appointment for today because I knew they'd be shut down very soon - turns out that day is tomorrow

They're still ridiculously strict, and if you get positive it can be a nightmare. Not because of covid itself, but because your life could be turned upside down with being sent to a quarantine for weeks. If you are a close contact you'll have to line up for 2-6 hours to be tested - 3 times!

I'm glad I got boosted in time, and hope it keeps covid away long enough for these rules to be lifted, which will HAVE happen because they won't be able to keep up with the spread of the virus. They've been removing them bit by bit as the numbers grow, and once it's at like 5000-10000 a day, they will just have to sit and wait it out.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #14919
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,225 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

I'm glad I got boosted in time, and hope it keeps covid away long enough for these rules to be lifted, which will HAVE happen because they won't be able to keep up with the spread of the virus. They've been removing them bit by bit as the numbers grow, and once it's at like 5000-10000 a day, they will just have to sit and wait it out.
Take care Skinny. Just remember one thing... the vaccine does NOT give you immunity against the virus. If you want to avoid getting it... avoid going out and that includes anyone in the household/who would come close to you.

Omicron transmissibility is no joke; probably the strongest yet.

A buddy of mine, who's an expat living in China, came back to Canada for x'mas and despite his best effort, got hit with omicron. And he basically postponed the plan to go back to China indefinitely for now fearing the treatment he's going to get by going to China even after he fully recovered.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:25 PM   #14920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Take care Skinny. Just remember one thing... the vaccine does NOT give you immunity against the virus. If you want to avoid getting it... avoid going out and that includes anyone in the household/who would come close to you.

Omicron transmissibility is no joke; probably the strongest yet.

A buddy of mine, who's an expat living in China, came back to Canada for x'mas and despite his best effort, got hit with omicron. And he basically postponed the plan to go back to China indefinitely for now fearing the treatment he's going to get by going to China even after he fully recovered.
Yup I know it won't prevent it, but it will probably be better than not.

We definitely don't go out anymore, but my wife and her sister still go to work so it's pretty much bound to happen (though her sister will do WFH in week long intervals starting next week). My hope is that not many people go looking to adopt dogs for the next couple weeks, and when it does happen we don't have to deal with quarantine. But I think a lot of people are acting like there's nothing going on.

China seems to be the only country left that is treating this extremely seriously. That supports my belief that they'll be the only country that will come out of this relatively unscathed, and when that does happen the world will look very different.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:11 AM   #14921
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
China seems to be the only country left that is treating this extremely seriously. That supports my belief that they'll be the only country that will come out of this relatively unscathed, and when that does happen the world will look very different.
FWIW, I think things are going to play out in exactly the opposite manner. COVID will continue to exist as an endemic for at least a few years, if not longer. If China (and by extension, Hong Kong) continues to keep up with its COVID zero policy while the rest of the world has adapted to only having limited restrictions, then China's economy will suffer immensely because a gob ton of international trading and business activities simply cannot continue. Meanwhile, the RoW continues with minor restrictions, so their economies do not suffer to the same extend as China.

And if China eventually re-opens to the rest of the world, because there have been relatively fewer cases of COVID among its population, it also means they have little to no immunity against it. So if China re-opens, its population will get hit hard with infections and see major disruptions.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2022, 06:16 AM   #14922
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^ that is madness. Alberta had over 4,600 new cases yesterday. Bc had 3,287 new cases.

Passport aside, removing all those other restrictions will only hurt, not help. I hope BC does not follow suit
that's the three day total not one day.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2022, 06:17 AM   #14923

Lol yea.. you don’t have to be a convoy trucker to realize the zero Covid approach is futile. Especially for a place like China.

All you’re doing is prolonging the pandemic. Countries around the world start to treat Covid as endemic and most of their citizens have had Covid etc. China and other places walk this tight rope of zero cases while trying to he global hubs? Lol good luck.

Korea still doing its 10 day mandatory quarantine upon arrival:

Completely unsustainable to participate in the global economy/tourist industry.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:18 AM   #14924
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Omicron is finally hitting the fan here and we're up to 600 cases a day (highest number of the 4 previous waves was just over 100). A bunch of mandates take place tomorrow, including a vaccine passport required to enter most public places (markets, restaurants, even malls, but not public transport yet).

On the weekend I made a haircut appointment for today because I knew they'd be shut down very soon - turns out that day is tomorrow

They're still ridiculously strict, and if you get positive it can be a nightmare. Not because of covid itself, but because your life could be turned upside down with being sent to a quarantine for weeks. If you are a close contact you'll have to line up for 2-6 hours to be tested - 3 times!

what vaccine is being handed out over there? their shitty home brew one that isn't supposed to work or Pfizer/moderna?

i wonder how much of their strict lock downs are because they know what their handing out doesn't work?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #14925

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
what vaccine is being handed out over there? their shitty home brew one that isn't supposed to work or Pfizer/moderna?

i wonder how much of their strict lock downs are because they know what their handing out doesn't work?
You can choose between BioNTech (which is distributed by Pfizer in Canada so you'd be familiar with that) and Sinovac (the Chinese one). Kids 5-11 can only get BioNTech, anyone over 12 can get either.

Sinovac is the only one you can get at clinics, so a lot of old people who don't or can't go to Vaccination Centres for whatever reason are getting that one. Overall it's about 65% BioNTech, but lately more people are getting Sinovac just because it's easier for some people (and there's a ton of misinformation about mRNA vaccines which we all know about)

So really, almost half of the vaccinated population may be considered as barely vaccinated for Omicron

Delta is still around accounting for about 2.5% of cases, but 100% of deaths and 75% of current serious cases.

The strict lock downs and other policies in HK at least are there for one reason: because China does it, and they want to do whatever China does in hopes that they'll open the border.
This post thanked by: