REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #15251
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Spoiler!
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:02 AM   #15252
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
https://www.hkupasteur.hku.hk/post/m...ine-recipients

It isn't just COVID-induced death that is problematic. Infection and severe cases would also bring a collaspe of the hospital system, and that in turn will lead to additional non-COVID-related deaths.

And then there is the impact to the economy. Certainly you've seen the impact of Welcome and Park'n Shop -- the 2 biggest HK supermarket chains, for those who don't know -- needing to close at 3pm because they don't have enough staff? And the goods delivery problem because warehouse staff are sick as well? And that the slaughter houses in Hong Kong all closing down because the butchers got sick? If Omicron hits China as hard as it is hitting Hong Kong, the results would be disastrous (for the CCP).
The numbers are out:

Fatality rate with patients over 80 years old:

First of all, 74% of all covid deaths over 80 are unvaccinated.

15% of all over 80 unvaccinated who got covid died.

So fucking get vaccinated.

Stats of vaccinated deaths:

One dose
Sinovac: 5.83%
BioNTech (called Pfizer in Canada): 3.44%

Two doses
Sinovac: 2.95%
BioNTech: 1.51%

Edit: Visualization helps sometimes:

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #15253
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
that's what we've been talking about here for months and months..

its not only deaths though, its the vast majority of ICU and hospitalizations are the 70+ unvaccinated crowd.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #15254
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Push all the oldies out! Make room!

68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #15255
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
that's what we've been talking about here for months and months..

its not only deaths though, its the vast majority of ICU and hospitalizations are the 70+ unvaccinated crowd.
A lot of people were wondering how effective Sinovac is, since it's the main one used in China, and there's a 'study' people constantly refer to that says it's utterly useless. Based on this, it isn't as effective as Biontech, but still pretty effective
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2022, 10:22 AM   #15256

According to some quick searches, the mortality of Pneumonia in that same demographic is almost double Covid:

https://www.caringseniorservice.com/...rs?hs_amp=true

In short, old people die ALOT from -any- respiratory illness.. lol
Old 03-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #15257
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Pneumonia is a side effect of many other illnesses, including covid 19. That’s not a reasonable comparison as it’s not just people randomly catching it in most cases.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2022, 11:26 AM   #15258
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
A lot of people were wondering how effective Sinovac is, since it's the main one used in China, and there's a 'study' people constantly refer to that says it's utterly useless. Based on this, it isn't as effective as Biontech, but still pretty effective
It is utterly useless against infection, and BNT / Pfizer is more effective in that regard, although of course protection against infection wanes over time for BNT / Pfizer as well.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...dy-2021-12-23/
Quote:
Three doses of Sinovac's CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine do not produce adequate levels of antibodies to fight the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, researchers from Hong Kong said in a statement.
And then when you look at the death numbers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Stats of vaccinated deaths:

One dose
Sinovac: 5.83%
BioNTech (called Pfizer in Canada): 3.44%

Two doses
Sinovac: 2.95%
BioNTech: 1.51%
BNT is almost twice as effective in preventing death as Sinovac. When something is almost twice as effective, I'd say it is pretty stupid to not take advantage of that and go for the weak sauce option instead. And then when you scale it up to the overall population size of a country -- say China? -- the higher level of effectiveness becomes a big number in human headcounts.

To add more insult to injury, Hong Kong is paying a significantly higher price for each dose of Sinovac compared to the BNT vaccine. Of course, this is nothing new, since China has been ripping off Hong Kong and its government reserves forever. Infrastructure projects, in particular, has been a main source of overcharging HK (for subpar quality builds). The most recent caretaker hiring spree is also an insult to Hong Kong's finances when there is no justifiable reasons to hire Mainlanders instead of Hong Kong residents for the job.

Last edited by Traum; 03-20-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #15259

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Pneumonia is a side effect of many other illnesses, including covid 19. That’s not a reasonable comparison as it’s not just people randomly catching it in most cases.
https://www.lung.org/research/trends...copd-mortality

K so how about COPD then. Almost all these respiratory diseases follow the exact same demographic curve as Covid. 75+ with deaths going up exponentially 85+
Old 03-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #15260

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
You mean the disease that people often live with for decades from external factors like asbestos inhalation, chemical exposure, smoking, heart disease, etc?
I’m not sure what you’re trying to get across here. Are you “debunking” the covid pandemic or are you just saying that people die from other stuff? No one has argued otherwise, yet still, they aren’t the same thing, or relevant to how things have been handled.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #15261

Went to Costco Willingdon today, I’d say there’s enough people not wearing masks that you wouldn’t feel like a dick not wearing one, 30% or so of customers

I’d say 25-30% of employees also not wearing them. To me if the employee of a place isn’t, that’s kind of the indicator whether I will or won’t. I wore it today cause I’m still not feeling 100%
Old 03-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #15262
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I'm seeing more people without masks this 2nd week than the 1st ... exactly predictable in terms of human behaviour, a gradual adaptation to change. Certain percentage are early adoptors, bulk are middle and you'll see small percentage as late adaptors.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #15263

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
90% of people not wearing mask at Willowbrook Mall yesterday. Guess we're just all rednecks out this way lol.

I should qualify, I'm in the not wearing a mask unless required or asked to camp.

Also if anything good came out of covid it looks like I'll be working from home as long as I'm employed by this company. Had the talk with my boss last week and he said you're one of the ones I trust if you want to stay home indefinitely I'm ok with it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #15264

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
My company issued a new "hybrid" work policy. They would like 3 days in the office and 2 days can work from home.

The funny thing is that we have a good number of people who were hired as 100% remote, especially common in our BC interior regions. Fuck, we have a guy that's been working from England for like 3 years now.

So it's really mostly a policy for the general admin staff.

As a PM I've never been chained to my desk anyways, even before COVID I'd work from home when I wanted, or have days out in the field. My boss is in Vancouver, so it's not like he knows what I'm up to on a day to day basis. As long as we're bringing in profit he doesn't give a shit.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #15265

Call me paranoid, but when I was out with my kid at Science World today, I've heard more than a few people coughing, including a young-looking couple that weren't wearing a mask. (I quickly herded my kid away from that area.) I also heard a cough or two when I was at Superstore and at Safeway.

I am keeping my mask on for now.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #15266

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
My company issued a new "hybrid" work policy. They would like 3 days in the office and 2 days can work from home.

The funny thing is that we have a good number of people who were hired as 100% remote, especially common in our BC interior regions. Fuck, we have a guy that's been working from England for like 3 years now.

So it's really mostly a policy for the general admin staff.

As a PM I've never been chained to my desk anyways, even before COVID I'd work from home when I wanted, or have days out in the field. My boss is in Vancouver, so it's not like he knows what I'm up to on a day to day basis. As long as we're bringing in profit he doesn't give a shit.

Yeah, production/result wise for me the last two years at home have been the best years I've had here, been with.this company 11 years. So little distractions at home, no chit chat just work. I can get more done in 5 hours at home than I can in 8-9 hours in the office.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2022, 07:47 PM   #15267
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Call me paranoid, but when I was out with my kid at Science World today, I've heard more than a few people coughing, including a young-looking couple that weren't wearing a mask. (I quickly herded my kid away from that area.) I also heard a cough or two when I was at Superstore and at Safeway.

Yeah I'd say that's pretty paranoid. If that's all it takes for someone to usher their kids away from me then that's good to know though.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #15268
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
How the heck does the guy in England manage to work during the same hours as you guys? LOL
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #15269

Kids wiping their hands over all sorts of shit, people go entire days on public transport etc. walking through malls without using hand sanitizer, eating fast food without washing your hands all day etc.

Then the same people hear a cough and have a panic attic. It’s illogical.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #15270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Kids wiping their hands over all sorts of shit, people go entire days on public transport etc. walking through malls without using hand sanitizer, eating fast food without washing your hands all day etc.

Then the same people hear a cough and have a panic attic. It’s illogical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Yeah I'd say that's pretty paranoid. If that's all it takes for someone to usher their kids away from me then that's good to know though.
You do realize that COVID is an airborne disease, and what being an airborne disease means, right?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2022, 08:07 PM   #15271
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:

You're paranoid. Coughing has been around before all this nonsense and, if I was a betting man, I'd say it'll be here after as well. That said, everyone has the right to protect themselves. So mask up and social distance to your hearts content. Freedom of choice is what it's all about. Just because the gov says it's ok to not mask up you can still choose to. I mean, it's not like the government has been wrong about anything over the past two years right?

I drove through Peace Arch last Wednesday to fly to Palm Springs with the fam jam. Not a single person at the border gave a flying fuck about vax status or masks. And we even got put through the vehicle x-ray machine and spent an hour in the office getting cleared (I have a common name and get flagged every time). There was even a sign on the door that said "Mask are NOT REQUIRED for entry" Lol! We had to test in Cali on Saturday to fly back though. Coming back today we had to mask up in our car, kids too, before even getting to the booth and answer a bunch of BS questions on ArriveCAN. What a comedy show. It was crazy to see the difference. And isn't this all ending next week too?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #15272
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Caught something at a concert a week ago. 2x negative rapid tests.
Flu is back, baby!
Still not 100%, but I'm wearing a mask when I go out so I don't spread it around.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #15273
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
And we even got put through the vehicle x-ray machine and spent an hour in the office getting cleared (I have a common name and get flagged every time).
Ever look into the DHS redress program? Supposed to be for situations like yours where you get flagged all the time.

https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2022, 10:55 PM   #15274
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Caught something at a concert a week ago. 2x negative rapid tests.
Flu is back, baby!
Still not 100%, but I'm wearing a mask when I go out so I don't spread it around.
My son went to his first play class with grandma. A few days after He had a fever, grandma got sick, and my wife got sick. I got the sniffles. All negative tests. Seasonal flu back in full force

Last edited by 320icar; 03-21-2022 at 11:00 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:10 PM   #15275
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Seasonal flu be like "I just want you guys know you got another coming bitch, I'm still around"
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote