REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #15301
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I don't know why people think that its so crazy to "blindly" follow things where you don't know shit about fuck. You blindly let pilots fly an airplane. You blindly let people cook your food. People blindly let you renovate their house. It's how the world works. It's why we aren't eating poisonous berries by accident while wandering around a forest and living to the ripe old age of 17.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:56 PM   #15302
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Are there stats for people in rehab post covid?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #15303
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Well blindly might just be a poor choice of words. Maybe I just prefer to be more critical of my personal choices going forward after already “doing my part” to this point.

As well, it doesn’t really entstill faith in the system when they are actively pulling statistics from their website that show the unvaccinated continue to be the primary strain on the system.

As well, continually restrictions and mandates are becoming less and less about public safety and more and more about political outcomes, this article is behind a pay wall but I read it earlier through the apple news inserts:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...rictions-ease/

It’s basically showing mandates will not be even considered in many provinces regardless of surges, hospitalizations, etc. because the ruling parties would almost certainly be voted out if they were ie. Ontario.

When we’ve got to that point where holding onto your seat in politics Is more important than the lives of your constituents…if they don’t care, why would I?
Old 03-30-2022, 08:06 PM   #15304

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Are there stats for people in rehab post covid?
With the “if it bleeds it leads” type mentality that virtually every news outlet runs under these days, where profits and viewership are more important than credible news, I find it hard to believe that “long Covid” is an issue whatsoever given it’s basically never reported by any news outlet.

If there were enough cases to create that fear mongering news headline, they would have been pumping that down our throats for months already
Old 03-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #15305
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
This is anecdotal, but we have a field guy at work who "recovered" from Covid about a month ago. Late 20's, fit, no other conditions. No booster.

He was out bedridden for a week, and slowly recovered to no symptoms a week after that. He's been "recovered" for about 3 weeks now but he's tired af after 8pm, he can't remember stuff that I asked him to do hours before, and loses breath much faster than before. His gf whom he lives with had a booster and she had the sniffles and a sore throat for a few days, but she's fine. And physically speaking she's much 'higher risk' than him.

I know it's too short to call it "long covid", and I know people who had covid who recovered fully, but it's literally luck of the draw. Remember all statistics have outliers, and averages have extremes.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2022, 05:04 PM   #15306
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Lots of people have "long covid" symptoms, some very dangerous like they basically have semi working hearts now. It is happening more often with women than men.

It's so weird to pretend this isn't happening and just passing it off as "fear mongering"

News is scary sometimes. Are people reporting Russia's invasion "fear mongering" Ukrainians?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 PM   #15307

News does not report long Covid period. That’s the point.

On top of this, with the public health office telling people not to get PCR tests, you basically have no way to prove your infection to be part of the compensation allotted by the govt. either.

So on top of being incredibly unlucky if you are one of the few to suffer from long Covid, you’ll likely have no way to prove it.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:29 PM   #15308
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
News does not report long Covid period. That’s the point.
These articles were from today

Fortune.com ‘Brain on fire,’ ear numbness, hallucinations: Just what are the symptoms of ‘Long COVID’? - today

Guardian.com Failure to consider long Covid impact will hit UK economy, says expert - today

Bloomberg The Long Covid Puzzle Is Getting More Complicated - today

NPR Oklahoma Memory loss, debilitating fatigue and more: Oklahomans share their experiences with long COVID symptoms - today

DailyMail Clinic to help fight long Covid opens in Australia as experts warn thousands may suffer from debilitating physical and cognitive issues for YEARS after being infected with the virus - today

Independent MP admits almost collapsing in Commons chamber due to long Covid - today

ABC Australia Why no one is safe from long COVID - TODAY

There's literally dozens more news articles on long covid posted TODAY on smaller outlets if you do a news search

And if you go back a few more days, you'll find H-H-H-H-H-HUNDREDS MORE

If you go back a month, you will literally find THOUSANDS OF ARTICLES ON LONG COVID. THOUSANDS.

So yeah, no. They are reporting it. It's real. Vaccines are safe. Covid is not the flu. It's still a pandemic. Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Don't be silly.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #15309

Gonna be a no from me dawg.

Anyways.. my wife has some colleagues over and one has a couple teenagers in highschool, so there’s this thing going on there..

“Mask Fishing”

Cat fishing but via masks. High school kids don’t want to take off their masks because now they are self conscious of their faces or they feel like they are doing better in social interactions wearing a mask than showing their faces. She said some people in these groups will not remove masks ecen outside of school, going into a restaurant etc. because they have become so self conscious of their actual face.. fuckkkk…
Old 04-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #15310
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
You think highschool kids being self conscious about their face is a new thing?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #15311

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Now that you mention it, I've yet to meet one good looking person that still wants to wear a mask after the mandates were lifted lol. I see your motives now uglies, stop trying to keep everyone on the same playing field as you!
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #15312
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Gonna be a no from me dawg.

Anyways.. my wife has some colleagues over and one has a couple teenagers in highschool, so...

Classic response. Facts presented and either move the goalposts or remain blissfully ignorant.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #15313
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/h...alization.html

Quote:
Ivermectin Does Not Reduce Risk of Covid Hospitalization, Large Study Finds
“At some point it will become a waste of resources to continue studying an unpromising approach,” one expert said.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #15314

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post

Classic response. Facts presented and either move the goalposts or remain blissfully ignorant.
You can dig up posts from any media source you want and you’ll find somthing to back up the most random shit.

I watch global and CTV news on a daily basis in the morning/evening and necer once have they run a story on long Covid.

Want to know when sonthing is serious? Watch government ads. For 2-3 years the opioid crisis was dire, then both the federal and provincial govt. start running drug addiction ads focused on Asian, south Asian, and other minority groups. At that point you know this is a BIG issue.

When global, etc. and all the “national” new media literally -never- run stories on long Covid, that means there’s nothing to report. They can’t spin a story far enough to scare people into watching. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen or it’s not terrible. But it’s not prevalent enough in society to warrant these stories in the daily news.

Skinny can pull up as many internet articles as he wants. The fact is, those don’t have nearly the reach or viewership as regular news broadcasts on television. Nor are people seeking those articles out.

Bonnie Henry, Cancer recovering John Horgan, Celebrity guests etc. just played a media climate change game of hockey and then did a media press conference inside a closed space. Yet I’m suppose to take the advice of random people on the internet “wurrrrr yerrr mask!!!!”

When people cooking my food at a restaurant aren’t wearing a mask, I’m not wearing one to come in, sorry.

I’m not trying to be some contrarian dick, I’m just reading between the lines and making my own choices. I also may contradict myself but you can do whatever you want, wear a mask wherever I don’t care. I’ll never say anything to anyone. More power to you. When I make a post I’m basically just spitting out my internal views on the matter. If you aren’t impacting my life directly in a negative way I don’t care what you do, go crazy.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #15315
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I know you wanted to play in that hockey game so bad
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #15316

None of this came from a mask conversation. You said Covid is only killing the unvaccinated elderly. Someone mentioned long covid. You said stories of long covid aren't being covered in the media.
Like we've both said, we've been vaccinated, had covid, if I don't have to wear a mask, I'm not going to unless I can read the situation where someones comfort hinges on it, or I'm asked, but that's totally irrelevant to just making things up about what's actually happening, and then getting called out on it. If you do, at least eat shit on it when someone shows you that it's completely false.
Here's a list of a couple dozen long covid articles from global news which you watch nightly, maybe you missed them when you were browsing the RS covid thread.
https://globalnews.ca/tag/long-covid/
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 04-01-2022 at 08:53 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #15317

So as I said, Alberta etc. have removed those unvaccinated stats. Those stats I posed earlier where they say the median age on top of the graphs basically align with 65+ unvaccinated serious outcomes.

I can’t refer to those stats now because the bodies that produce them have now removed those stats from the active tracking.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #15318

October stats say 45% of the deaths were vaccinated. That was the easiest, and most recent data I could find in 15 seconds.
As we’ve established before, your risk of dying is about 10x higher as an unvaccinated individual.
Yes they were elderly most likely
Yes some or even all may have had pre-existing conditions
No they wouldn’t all be dead anyways from something else by now.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #15319
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
In some positive news... 93% of British Columbians age 5 or higher are fully vaccinated. That's huge.

In terms of the booster shots, I just wanted to say that multiple studies have all confirmed the same thing: immunity wanes over time. That's why it's useful to get boosted. Again, it's for all the same reasons as before (protecting yourself and the people in your community). I fully understand that the younger, healthier crowd doesn't feel like it's necessary but again, it's really just a minor inconvenience to your day.

If anyone is still curious, hospitals are still quite busy at times and everyone is still under staffed. Yes, people still come in with covid but luckily it's not in the numbers we had been seeing before. Personally, I've already done almost 200 hours of OT in the first 3 months of the year so far. Huge thank yous to everyone who helped us out by getting vaccinated and boosted. It's great to see things mostly back to normal these days
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #15320
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Not to rain on your positive news, but as a counterpoint, I have continually read that the vaccination rates among children in the 5 - 11 range in BC is among the lowest across Canada. According to this:

https://www.newwestrecord.ca/coronav...-rates-5118382

Quote:
As of March 1, just 56% of five-to-11-year-olds in B.C. had received their first dose of Pfizer pediatric vaccine against COVID-19, and only 27% had received a second dose.
(I should also note that most areas in Vancouver Coastal Health have a 70%+ vaccination rate for children in the 5-11 range, so that's pretty good.)

Purely among the people I know, there have been a few incidents where where the child was the first to get sick from COVID, likely bringing it back from school or daycare. Children tend to recover quite quickly from COVID, but 2 of them still racked up a worryingly high fever in the 39 - 40C range, lasting for 2 - 3 days. Then the parents & siblings got infected with varying degrees of severity as well even though they were vaccinated.

I am not at all anti-vax, and will happily obtain another booster if the Health Ministry authorizes it for adults my age. But I honestly question the need to boost as often as we had been doing -- 6 months after the last shot -- bcos it seems like we are only doing so to prevent infection. Yes, immunity wanes over time, but if infection is not deadly (for those who have already been vaccinated), then I am really not sure whether it is still a good public health policy to keep doing this because it takes a colossal amount of resources to keep hosting these vaccination campaign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
In some positive news... 93% of British Columbians age 5 or higher are fully vaccinated. That's huge.

In terms of the booster shots, I just wanted to say that multiple studies have all confirmed the same thing: immunity wanes over time. That's why it's useful to get boosted. Again, it's for all the same reasons as before (protecting yourself and the people in your community). I fully understand that the younger, healthier crowd doesn't feel like it's necessary but again, it's really just a minor inconvenience to your day.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #15321
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
actually, according to our internal newsletter, because of our high vaccination rate demand at our local clinics has been steadily decreasing and therefore many of these sites are either shutting down or reducing hours. local pharmacies are capable of filling in the gaps now as there aren't that many more that need follow up doses. also, your quote is dated March 1. being a full month ago, that makes sense because second dose interval is 4-6 weeks after the first.

as a reminder, the vaccine does not prevent infection. they prevent severe illness leading to hospitalization and/or death (which is exactly what it's done). the problem is the breakthrough infections due to the omicron variant. again, the vaccines were designed for the original strain and luckily had shown some efficacy against the delta variant as well. manufacturers are currently retooling their vaccines to target omicron and future strains.

I talked about it a long time ago but there's a documentary on netflix that goes into pretty good detail about the universal flu shot they are developing. Hopefully the same thing happens for the future covid vaccines because the whack-a-mole approach only helps for so long. We are very fortunate that the omicron variant has proven to be more mild on average than it's predecessors.

On the topic of long covid, there are plenty of cases out there. Even among my coworkers (young/youngish and healthy) still have persistent coughing and mild breathing issues they never had before. Oh and, hondaracer, Brandon Sutter would like to have a word with you
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #15322

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I'm sure by September, everyone who's I'm twice vaccinated bro, will have zero protection by then. So good luck y'all maybe it will be ba3 then
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:04 PM   #15323

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Since COVID has not affected him or a close relative negatively, Hondaracer truly believes the virus is no big deal.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #15324

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Just curious, how many of you were getting your flu shot every year for the past 20 years?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #15325
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I’ve gotten 2 flu shots ever personally… nothing really against it, just lazy and didn’t feel like it was necessary at my age… figured I’d do it when that one that’s supposed to cover all of them is developed and I’m a bit older
68style is offline   Reply With Quote