REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #15476
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Coming back from Mexico had to stick our passports in that scanner on arrival and get photo taken, and then had to hand passport over to the guy at the desk again before going to baggage claim?
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2022, 01:02 PM   #15477
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Where’s all the middle ground people? This threads deteriorating fast
Meh keep it going. I could use the entertainment.
I read that Trudeau was going to shut off the internet for a week to help accelerate the great reset, and that inflation was staged so we would get all our home repossessed and replaced with communist style buildings for equal public housing for all except the Canadian elite.
Does anyone know about this?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #15478

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
I don't know what's middle ground anymore, the posts keep shifting?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:24 PM   #15479
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Meh keep it going. I could use the entertainment.
I read that Trudeau was going to shut off the internet for a week to help accelerate the great reset, and that inflation was staged so we would get all our home repossessed and replaced with communist style buildings for equal public housing for all except the Canadian elite.
Does anyone know about this?
What about the truck tax? no one is going to be able to afford a new truck and you will have to ride a bike everywhere.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:53 PM   #15480
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
I thought following public health guidelines and using common sense was considered middle ground but I guess not?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #15481
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I feel pretty middle ground, I can see validity to some of both Hondaracer’s and SP’s posts… I can even see glimmers of it in Zedbra’s although he’s pretty extreme in his views so I tend to not bother following his rabbit hole.

I still carry a mask, I put it on depending where I am, sometimes I forget it and I pause and go shit…… yolo? and take my chances, still go into the store but definitely keep clear of people and go about my business as quickly as possible. Just adjust myself to what I feel comfortable. To be honest going forward, even if there isn’t a pandemic anymore, with what we have seen on communicable diseases I may even take on an “Asian country” philosophy and wear one on public transit ie: Canada Line and sanitize my hands more often because I sure have enjoyed not getting sick 4-5 times a year like I used to going on that thing.

That’s all thinking about myself though… thinking about others yah I’m more aware that if I’m sick I shouldn’t expose others to it. I wore a mask the whole time at LAX… there’s a ball hockey game with my regular group tonight but I’m not going to play just in case… Give it 3-5 days see if I’m sick…. and if I am sick (non-Covid) I’ll wear a mask going forward.

Just seems common sense to me, gotta evolve with the world. If some bro thinks I’m a cuck cuz I’m wearing a mask in WalMart then well… I’m glad they’re in a sadomasochist state of mind when they’re shopping? Likewise when I see people without masks in those situations I don’t look at them weird, but I probably do keep my distance a bit more. I don’t give them the white knight eyeroll though.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 02:51 PM   #15482
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Most of the people here are middle ground people.

On one side you have hardliners who put everyone ahead of themselves, and want extreme measures to prevent every death possible. I think a lot of these people are shut-ins, and reveled in not having to go out for months. You see a lot of them on reddit, not so many here.

On the other, you have the selfish people who only give a shit about themselves, and put their own interests over absolutely everyone else. Often absolutely frivolous things like not having to wear a mask for a few hours while seated on a plane.

In the middle, you have people who think it's reasonable to try to prevent a pandemic from getting out of control for the millionth time, try to prevent another lockdown like situation. And they will take reasonable measures to help prevent others getting sick who are at high risk of serious consequences.

Like 99% of the people here are in the middle. I think we have like 1 or 2 hardliners, and 4 or 5 selfish people. Then we have one weirdo who just tries to rile me up now and then, probably because he got embarrassed who knows how long ago (watch for the incoming long offensive rant).
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 03:15 PM   #15483

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
On the other, you have the selfish people who only give a shit about themselves, and put their own interests over absolutely everyone else. Often absolutely frivolous things like not having to wear a mask for a few hours while seated on a plane.
Just so we're clear, you realize the vast majority of people in BC stop wearing masks anywhere once they don't have to right? You can paint them as all assholes who don't care about anyone else but I think you're very wrong about that. You seem to just not want to accept that Covid isn't that scary for most people anymore and they are living their life accordingly. It's not a small group of people, your views are the minority not theirs.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:15 PM   #15484

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Just so we're clear, you realize the vast majority of people in BC stop wearing masks anywhere once they don't have to right? You can paint them as all assholes who don't care about anyone else but I think you're very wrong about that. You seem to just not want to accept that Covid isn't that scary for most people anymore and they are living their life accordingly. It's not a small group of people, your views are the minority not theirs.
I didn't say they are assholes, I said they are putting their own interests ahead of the community's. Being selfish doesn't make you an asshole, it makes you selfish. There are plenty of selfish assholes and unselfish assholes!

I'm waiting to be able to take my mask off in many situations that are required by law here currently. Because to me, the risk is not worth the hassle.

But sometimes it is worth the hassle, like in a hospital, on a crowded bus or plane, etc. Those are "my views" and I don't think it makes me any better or worse than anyone who disagrees. More considerate maybe.

I'm not "scared" of covid either, but I know it is 100% a fact that many people who aren't me are very susceptible to getting extremely sick or dead from it. So I am willing to sacrifice my comfort to help those people out.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #15485
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I'd prefer to keep masks on flights a little longer since I have to fly for work next week. I'm sure the filtration is great but how much does that really do if the person next to you is the sick one? If I get anything on the way there it screws me because I can't do the work I need to do for a customer. If I get sick on the way back it likely screws me out of attending a wedding.

Not to mention my kids still can't get vaccinated. Have their been any updates on the <5 year olds yet? I feel like nobody has said much of anything about that in forever.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:31 PM   #15486

Quote:
I didn't say they are assholes
"Selfish people who only care about themselves"

I mean you did just about everything but use the word 'asshole' but ok

I think masks have their place, hospitals and care homes I have no issue putting one on because you're entering a world of immunocompromised people. I wouldn't even bring snacks so I could keep my mask off the whole time like on a plane either.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #15487
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Source? Maybe the vast majority where I live but in Vancouver proper mask wearing hasn't changed much since the mandates were lifted. Only noticeable place is now in restaurants but people never wore them anyways.

Grocery stores went from 95% masking to maybe 80% now.

Heck I'm looking out the window now and am still seeing people with masks on outdoors.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #15488

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Source? Maybe the vast majority where I live but in Vancouver proper mask wearing hasn't changed much since the mandates were lifted. Only noticeable place is now in restaurants but people never wore them anyways.

Heck I'm looking out the window now and am still seeing people with masks on outdoors.
I'll be honest the wife does most of the grocery shopping lol, but everywhere I go such as the gym, mall, haircuts, pet store etc it's at least 80% no mask.

Also went to the Giants game last Friday and same thing

Last edited by MarkyMark; 04-20-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #15489

Quote:
"Selfish people who only care about themselves"

I mean you did just about everything but use the word 'asshole' but ok

I think masks have their place, hospitals and care homes I have no issue putting one on because you're entering a world of immunocompromised people. I wouldn't even bring snacks so I could keep my mask off the whole time like on a plane either.
I mean if you're wanting to not wear a mask during a pandemic in a small crowded area with many people who may have covid or be susceptible to it, what other way is there to describe it?

You have decided that your personal comfort is more of a priority than preventing the spread of covid, to you and everyone else you came across in the next week or so.

That's literally describing someone who is being selfish, and only caring about themselves and not others. Not even their own spouse and children and parents.

They could be the nicest people in the world otherwise. But for whatever reason, wearing a mask while seated and not going through any physical exertion is where they draw the line. Selfish, yes. Asshole? I'm not going to judge them that way.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #15490

Quote:

Costco is less than 40% or so masked up. Starbucks I go to are like 25%

Went to Savio Volpe last weekend, zero masks from anyone. Most restaurants I’ve been to have zero mask usage.

It’s exponentially being taken off since the announcement imo

Even places where I see a “please wear a mask sign” like my local beer store, almost no one puts one on, and when I see a staff member there not wearing one, I don’t feel too bad taking mine off inside
Old 04-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #15491
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Well yeah restaurants were pretty much a no-brainer. You can't eat while masked, and needing one to go to the washroom is questionable but then again masking up in a tiny room where someone may have taken a dump minutes earlier still has other benefits.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #15492

Skinny is just throwing out these “opinions” which have no basis in logic lol

I totally broke apart your airplane argument with actual data and facts and hard evidence transmission even masksless is virtually zero and you’re still an asshole for not wearing on during leisure travel? You’re just spinning your wheels.

If you’re in a place of business where the employees are not wearing masks, where there isn’t a sign even “recommending” one. Who are you doing a favour? The “community” who are inside this same business not wearing masks? The employees inside not wearing masks?

Your argument is falling flat.

The places that continue to require them will tell you so. Most people will probably be proactive in using them in places with vulnerable people. However, these are not places the general public goes on a frequent basis, and these places have communicable disease protocols in place.

Uber is going to stop requiring then very soon, you hop in an Uber and the driver isn’t wearing one, a driver exposed to what, thousands of strangers in a week? And You’re the asshole not putting one on? Lol nah bra
Old 04-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #15493

Quote:
Well yeah restaurants were pretty much a no-brainer. You can't eat while masked, and needing one to go to the washroom is questionable but then again masking up in a tiny room where someone may have taken a dump minutes earlier still has other benefits.
Hosts/servers/cooks/managers?
Old 04-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #15494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Skinny is just throwing out these “opinions” which have no basis in logic lol

I totally broke apart your airplane argument with actual data and facts and hard evidence transmission even masksless is virtually zero and you’re still an asshole for not wearing on during leisure travel? You’re just spinning your wheels.

If you’re in a place of business where the employees are not wearing masks, where there isn’t a sign even “recommending” one. Who are you doing a favour? The “community” who are inside this same business not wearing masks? The employees inside not wearing masks?

Your argument is falling flat.

The places that continue to require them will tell you so. Most people will probably be proactive in using them in places with vulnerable people. However, these are not places the general public goes on a frequent basis, and these places have communicable disease protocols in place.

Uber is going to stop requiring then very soon, you hop in an Uber and the driver isn’t wearing one, a driver exposed to what, thousands of strangers in a week? And You’re the asshole not putting one on? Lol nah bra
Good filtration and airflow certainly reduce the risk of infection... Nobody argues against that.

So there's nothing to "fall flat". You're arguing with yourself here.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #15495

Middle ground to me is more like:

- Followed masks mandates when they were required, no public rampages. Even if they disliked it, they tolerated it.

- Got fully vaccinated (didn't need to be coerced)

- Believe vaccines work at preventing serious illness from COVID (or really any disease)

- Believe it's time to move on and for people to look after their own personal protection, and not chastise others for their own personal choices.

I think those who are bitching about the "selfishness" of others choosing not to wear masks fall more closely with the shut in hypochondriacs.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #15496
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/air...ghts-canceled/

Quote:
According to Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding, an epidemiologist and health economist, such flight cancellations were all but guaranteed once passengers and crew members took off their masks.

"So damn predictable — UK govt drops restrictions, airlines like @easyJet drops masks ... and less than 2 weeks later ... huge spike in pilots and flight attendants out sick with #COVID19 unable to work, and 120 flights cancelled! Airline CEOs asked for this," he said on Twitter.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #15497
in the butt

Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,285 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
The middle ground people have entered the chat on this page clearly, and westophers flat earth theory of course

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #15498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Middle ground to me is more like:

- Followed masks mandates when they were required, no public rampages. Even if they disliked it, they tolerated it.

- Got fully vaccinated (didn't need to be coerced)

- Believe vaccines work at preventing serious illness from COVID (or really any disease)

- Believe it's time to move on and for people to look after their own personal protection, and not chastise others for their own personal choices.

I think those who are bitching about the "selfishness" of others choosing not to wear masks fall more closely with the shut in hypochondriacs.
Agree with all those except the last.. We all WANT it to be "time to move on" but we're not there yet.

And nobody is "bitching" about selfishness. It's a base emotion we all have. It's how you handle your selfishness that matters.

Nobody fucking WANTS to wear a mask. Not on planes, not anywhere. Nobody WANTS lockdowns and social distancing. Middle ground people want that shit to be over just as much as anyone else. We also want less people to get sick and die, and think it's reasonable to suffer a mask once in a while when appropriate. Like on planes, buses, hospitals, etc

I don't know why this is so controversial to some
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #15499

Quote:
I mean if you're wanting to not wear a mask during a pandemic in a small crowded area with many people who may have covid or be susceptible to it, what other way is there to describe it?

You have decided that your personal comfort is more of a priority than preventing the spread of covid, to you and everyone else you came across in the next week or so.

That's literally describing someone who is being selfish, and only caring about themselves and not others. Not even their own spouse and children and parents.

They could be the nicest people in the world otherwise. But for whatever reason, wearing a mask while seated and not going through any physical exertion is where they draw the line. Selfish, yes. Asshole? I'm not going to judge them that way.
You seem to be with the tribe of if you can prevent one person from getting Covid then it's worth whatever measures needed to make that happen. When Covid was at its peak and deaths were going crazy I was right there with you. Now that it's under control and people are ditching the masks before and after the flight anyways I'm using what I consider to be common sense that you're not stopping the spread of anything.

Someone who's more at risk will still wear a mask I'd assume, and I'm not going to turn and cough in their face just because I'm not wearing a mask. Putting a mask on when I'm on a plane made me feel nauseous as some points so I had to pull it down for a minute every now and then. If I had to throw up in a bag on a plane I wonder how well that would have went over lol
Old 04-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #15500

I don't personally have an opinion about masks on planes specifically, I don't have any plans to fly anywhere in the foreseeable future.

But as for mandates in the province, I trust that our medical professionals' decisions to drop them was correlated with data which indicates that they have minimal impact versus the risk of not wearing them to the public, or else, I'd have to believe they'd still be mandatory now, along with all the other restrictions and things that have been removed.
So based on that we're "there yet" enough for me.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4