REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #15501
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
You seem to be with the tribe of if you can prevent one person from getting Covid then it's worth whatever measures needed to make that happen.
No, I have literally said many times that it's worth reasonable measures to prevent more deaths and make it so we're at the point where "we can move on". In fact I am very careful to put it that way specifically.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #15502
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
No, I have literally said many times that it's worth reasonable measures to prevent more deaths and make it so we're at the point where "we can move on". In fact I am very careful to put it that way specifically.
Sure but reasonable measures to you contradict what health officials feel is safe enough to not be required so calling people selfish for listening to them instead of you just doesn't come off very well.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #15503

Quote:
Sure but reasonable measures to you contradict what health officials feel is safe enough to not be required so calling people selfish for listening to them instead of you just doesn't come off very well.
These are judges making some of these rulings, not health officials.. They are literally overturning the rules put in place by health officials, because of politics and not science. And other lawmakers try to keep up. Judges, by the way, who were put in place by people who I absolutely disagree with on most things (and I think you would too)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #15504

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Are we talking about BC or USA? I haven't watched the news a ton but I don't recall judges removing our mask mandates?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #15505
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
US. The US Supreme Court declared the mask mandates on flights to be out of the CDC scope of practice. Launched by Desantis and latched onto by other republican governors. It's politics, not safety.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #15506

Quote:
Are we talking about BC or USA? I haven't watched the news a ton but I don't recall judges removing our mask mandates?
Trump's judge struck down the mandate for masks on buses and planes in the US. Canada followed suit for flights to the US, but is keeping them for flights within Canada.

Canada is still following science. The US is not... And this isn't a "hardliner" or "covid denier" thing either, because China is more hardline than anyone and they aren't following science either. It's all about politics in certain countries. Canada is probably one of the most reasonable on the entire planet.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #15507
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Sounds like the judges were following the science behind filtration and transmission?

So now there’s some weird lifelong grudge against republicans and judges you probably know nothing about other than their relation to a party clouding your judgement on rulings simply upholding existing laws within a different country? I see.. this continuous obsession some people seem to have with trump is really weird..not healthy.

The ruling however seems quite reasonable in the grander scope of things in terms of mask mandates.

So in Canada, where I think virtually all of us here have been following the guidance of Bonny Henry and Dix for the last two and a half years, “Doing our part” at basically every ask, when the health authorities we take as gospel start saying we don’t need to use masks anymore…we’re now assholes because we aren’t going out of our way to go BEYOND the people we’ve trusted this entire time? Right..

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-20-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #15508

I don't know if your trying to put words in my mouth, but I assume you aren't talking to me here. I'll clarify regardless. When Canada says no more masks, I'd trust that, but I also had, and have the ability to understand the value masks have provided in enclosed areas. The filtration and air purification means I'm not gonna be in the 8th row and get Covid from someone in the 23rd row, the mask means I'm less likely to get it from (or give it to) someone in the 8th row. And yeah, my grudge against the republicans and the judges they have put in place are pretty founded by their actions, past and current over the course of the pandemic, covid related and otherwise.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #15509

Imagine thinking that people critical of US Republicans and Trump in particular do so only out of some sort of "grudge" or "obsession"

jfc
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #15510
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Haha not afraid to admit I have a grudge against Trump, always have, even before he was ever political I hated that mf’er… but there’s a different thread for that
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:13 PM   #15511

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I don't know if your trying to put words in my mouth, but I assume you aren't talking to me here. I'll clarify regardless. When Canada says no more masks, I'd trust that, but I also had, and have the ability to understand the value masks have provided in enclosed areas. The filtration and air purification means I'm not gonna be in the 8th row and get Covid from someone in the 23rd row, the mask means I'm less likely to get it from (or give it to) someone in the 8th row. And yeah, my grudge against the republicans and the judges they have put in place are pretty founded by their actions, past and current over the course of the pandemic, covid related and otherwise.
No it wasn’t towards you.

So I guess my follow up to your post here however is when will you feel comfortable in not having that mask on a plane scenario play out?

It might be too broad of a question but under what circumstance are you not worried about having a mask to wear?
Old 04-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #15512

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,248 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Hondaracer posted some links from Transport Canada/IATA about COVID transmission on aircraft. Keep in mind that these sources want you to travel; they have everything to lose if travel was made even more difficult. Whereas the epidemiologist blog Mikoyan posted, this person has no connection to the travel industry. They are more likely to provide unbiased information.

Markymark mentioned "Personal risk assessments are the key words here" and I agree 100%. The point I'm trying to make is this: Do what you are comfortable with, but also take into consideration others around you.

For example, I work at UBC and masks are still required in indoor public areas until June 30th. Technically, my office is not open to the public, so masks are optional. I don't wear a mask when I'm in my cubicle, and neither do my immediate neighbours. When we talk openly, we try to keep our distance. However, I have another colleague ~30 feet away, and I always see him wearing a mask. So when I go talk to him, I put on my mask because that probably makes him feel more at ease.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #15513

Absolutely.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #15514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
No it wasn’t towards you.

So I guess my follow up to your post here however is when will you feel comfortable in not having that mask on a plane scenario play out?

It might be too broad of a question but under what circumstance are you not worried about having a mask to wear?
I’m fine either way TBH. I had a gnarly sinus infection the last week or so and thought it somehow magically was covid again, and I admit it definitely made me feel a little more cautious thinking I could get it again in a short period. Once I found out it wasn’t covid, I wore a mask and went on about my life as much as I could based on my energy level which was fuckin shot.
Maybe I’m being arrogant, but I don’t trust 50% of the general public to do the same. The same being test, confirm it isn’t covid, stay home, wear a mask, etc.
It’s kinda like the speed limit. You have to set them based on the cracked out guy in the shitbox Corolla that hasn’t changed his brake fluid in 37 years, when I’d feel perfectly comfortable if the speed limit was 30km/h higher in most places if dipshits like this didn’t exist.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #15515
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Skinny your fail warms my myocardiatic heart
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #15516

Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,312 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
You guys need to move this shit to fight club or something?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 09:00 PM   #15517

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
You guys need to move this shit to fight club or something?
Nah we're going back and forth on an interesting and important topic... I do wish honda would stop putting words in peoples' mouths though, and discontinue going on about "tribes" and "grudges".

There's only one person trying to shit up the thread, and that's our own Joe Rogan.. Covid obviously changes people, and I don't want to make light of mental health issues... It affected me both physically and mentally, so I get it. But I wish we could get along better.. discuss, disagree, and learn each way.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:18 PM   #15518
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I’m fine either way TBH. I had a gnarly sinus infection the last week or so and thought it somehow magically was covid again, and I admit it definitely made me feel a little more cautious thinking I could get it again in a short period. Once I found out it wasn’t covid, I wore a mask and went on about my life as much as I could based on my energy level which was fuckin shot.
Maybe I’m being arrogant, but I don’t trust 50% of the general public to do the same. The same being test, confirm it isn’t covid, stay home, wear a mask, etc.
It’s kinda like the speed limit. You have to set them based on the cracked out guy in the shitbox Corolla that hasn’t changed his brake fluid in 37 years, when I’d feel perfectly comfortable if the speed limit was 30km/h higher in most places if dipshits like this didn’t exist.
The driver of the 37 year old Corolla must be skilled if their car is still in one piece after so long with no reverse camera, abs, and managing to merge with 80hp.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2022, 10:57 PM   #15519
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Fun fact: someone at work today on a chat asked a question that was obviously antivax / covid denial based and their name was Joe Rogan.

I assumed they had found a way to edit the “Anonymous” field and put the name in for fun, but I looked them up and wow that really is their name. What a coincidence lol…
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #15520
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
If you go back 2 years we talked about transmission on airplanes. The amount of filtration and airflow is really good. But there is no denying if your negative 6 inches apart, and someone coughs or sneezes, your getting all the snizz.

I can’t see Canada getting rid of masks on planes anytime soon. It does seem more political to me then anything. But if the public gets angry enough, the restriction will be gone I’m sure.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-21-2022 at 06:36 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #15521

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
These are judges making some of these rulings, not health officials.. They are literally overturning the rules put in place by health officials, because of politics and not science. And other lawmakers try to keep up. Judges, by the way, who were put in place by people who I absolutely disagree with on most things (and I think you would too)
This is a completely different argument and yes I would totally agree, health policies should be determined by health professionals, not politicians or lawyers (judges) unless those politicians or lawyers hold some sort of relevant medical accreditation. (IE a politician who used to be an ophthalmologist really has no relevance to be speaking towards respiratory viruses)

But I try not to concern myself or get upset about what's going on in other countries like the USA. All that matters to me is what our health officials here say.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #15522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This is a completely different argument and yes I would totally agree, health policies should be determined by health professionals, not politicians or lawyers (judges) unless those politicians or lawyers hold some sort of relevant medical accreditation. (IE a politician who used to be an ophthalmologist really has no relevance to be speaking towards respiratory viruses)

But I try not to concern myself or get upset about what's going on in other countries like the USA. All that matters to me is what our health officials here say.
Right, but if you recall this all started when people started saying they want Canada to follow USA's lead in striking down mask mandates in cramped and crowded public transportation scenarios... If they do, that's that. But it doesn't seem like they're going to at this point.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:41 AM   #15523

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Well, I mean it does seem counterintuitive or conflicting that our provincial health officials say it's now perfectly fine to ride a crowded bus or skytrain to the airport maskless, but once your inside that airport the federal health officials say you have to mask up...

Doesn't it?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #15524

Perfectly fine =/= we strongly suggest you still wear a mask but don’t require you to because we know that you’re sick of it and might cause a problem over it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #15525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Well, I mean it does seem counterintuitive or conflicting that our provincial health officials say it's now perfectly fine to ride a crowded bus or skytrain to the airport maskless, but once your inside that airport the federal health officials say you have to mask up...

Doesn't it?
Yes, very

Most likely they removed the bus and skytrain rules for reasons that have nothing to do with science