REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #15576
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Just came back from a cruise with my family. My sister and her 2 yr old got COVID while on the cruise. Her husband and their 4 year old tested negative. They had to split up and go into isolation on the last day of the voyage. My wife and I tested negative along with my mom and dad. Prior to boarding, every passenger including children had to get tested for COVID.

The isolated passengers were the last to be let off the ship, and transport back home was provided by the cruise company.

Didn't care to go on the cruise, and I don't ever care to go again.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2022, 01:54 PM   #15577
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I think the point underscore was trying to make is that the unvaccinated person might have had COVID, except they were asymptomatic so they didn't even know they had it.

In addition, he mentioned "how vaccines work", so I think he's referring to herd immunity - i.e. most people are now vaccinated and do not have the virus, so if the unvaccinated were to hang out with the same people, there's less chance of catching the virus.
I was referring to how they're intended to reduce severity of symptoms, not prevent you from getting it at all, but you guys raise good points too. They're somewhat being covered by the vaccinated and even then I doubt many of the unvaxxed will get tested or admit to having it. They just had a cough and fever few days but it totally wasn't COVID. No sir. Definitely some totally different thing.

At this point I'm assuming Honda is just being deliberately obtuse, but maybe I'm giving too much credit there.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #15578
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Just came back from a cruise with my family. My sister and her 2 yr old got COVID while on the cruise. Her husband and their 4 year old tested negative. They had to split up and go into isolation on the last day of the voyage. My wife and I tested negative along with my mom and dad. Prior to boarding, every passenger including children had to get tested for COVID.

The isolated passengers were the last to be let off the ship, and transport back home was provided by the cruise company.

Didn't care to go on the cruise, and I don't ever care to go again.
Assuming this was your first time, sucks that it was ruined by COVID.

Pre-pandemic, I used to love going on cruises as everything (well, regular food/beverage, lodging, and entertainment) is paid for and you wake up in a new city every morning. The kids programs are usually well run so they can be occupied if you choose as well. But I'm not going on a cruise anytime soon.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #15579
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
When was the last time hondaracer raced a Honda?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #15580
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Hmm maybe 06? Lol
Old 06-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #15581
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
So vaccines actually cause covid now?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:50 PM   #15582
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #15583
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So vaccines actually cause covid now?
Haven't you heard? You get the vaccines and having those dead covid cells in your body acts like magnets for other hungry covid cells looking to avenge the death of their bretherin and they attack 10x harder than they would a defenseless body. It's called the magneto effect. No surprise that Jeff Bezos looks kind of like Magneto, because billionare.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2022, 08:32 PM   #15584
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
Everyone in my social circle has tested positive for Covid recently yet I'm still somehow okay lol. Went to the Canada vs Curacao game and 3 of my buddies were positive after a day but I'm still good...
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:51 PM   #15585
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Everyone in my social circle has tested positive for Covid recently yet I'm still somehow okay lol. Went to the Canada vs Curacao game and 3 of my buddies were positive after a day but I'm still good...
Maybe you got lucky and the vaccine didn't actually work!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #15586
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Canada dropping vaccine mandate for domestic and outbound international travel as of June 20

Quote:
The Canadian government is dropping the requirement that domestic and outbound international travellers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, effective June 20. However, all re-entry requirements will remain in effect, and all passengers will continue to have to wear face masks.

This change will allow unvaccinated Canadians to board planes and trains heading to either domestic or international locations, but they will still be required to follow the current testing and quarantine requirements upon re-entry from international destinations.

Further, "due to the unique nature of cruise ship travel," the vaccination requirements for passengers and crew of cruise ships will remain in effect.

The requirement to use the ArriveCAN app to show proof of vaccination upon arrival to avoid a federal quarantine will continue, and all travellers will have to continue to abide by other country's entry requirements, potentially limiting the destinations unvaccinated travellers will be able to visit. Many countries, including the U.S., continue to require proof of vaccination upon entry.

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Treasury Board President Mona Fortier, and Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos made the announcement on Tuesday, alongside major updates to Canada’s vaccine mandates for transportation workers, and federal employees.

In revealing the updated policies, government says the mandates have been effective through the thick of the pandemic, but were never meant to be permanent. Though, should case counts climb again, federal officials say they won’t hesitate to reinstate any suspended COVID-19 travel restrictions.

The Canadian government says this move is coming now "following a successful vaccination campaign." Nearly 90 per cent of eligible Canadians are vaccinated against COVID-19.

"The decision today is not based on something that we woke up yesterday or this morning, and decided to do. We've done our homework… What got us [to] today was a period of discussions, of consultations, of looking at the big picture, of preparing ourselves for a potential wave in the fall, but [also] the current situation today," Alghabra said. "It's clear that the COVID situation is not the same now as it was last fall when we implemented the vaccine mandate."

The federal mandates requiring all passengers on planes or trains to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before boarding were first promised by the Liberals during the last federal election, and came into effect in October 2021.

In recent months, pressure has been mounting for the government to lift the travel vaccination requirements from opposition politicians and the travel industry, citing the significant strains and delays at Canadian airports, as well as the easing provincial public health rules.

Throughout these calls, the Liberals have defended the mandates, repeatedly referring to the need to follow the science and advice of public health officials.

On Tuesday, ministers said that the federal government’s “top priority” remains keeping Canadians safe, and that this decision is not related to easing the strain at Canadian airports, which they attribute to "staffing shortages."

Rather, the ministers cited the virus' evolution, the current epidemiological and modelling projections, and the high vaccination rate in Canada as key factors in lifting the mandates now.

With the policy change likely prompting even more of an influx in travellers descending on Canadian airports, the transport minister faced several questions about whether the government is equipped to adequately handle the added crowds. He said work continues with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to "increase efficiencies."

Last week the government halted its mandatory random testing of vaccinated travellers at airports, but maintained the requirement for any unvaccinated travellers to be swabbed.

In order to be considered fully vaccinated under the federal policy, people have had to show proof of a full vaccination series, but not a booster dose, despite calls from public health officials to make a third dose part of the requirement to better protect against severe illness and to shore-up waning immunity.

On Tuesday, Duclos said the Omicron variant has made it evident that two doses "are no longer enough," though the government is not going beyond encouraging those who have not yet received a booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to do so.

"Our rate of boosters in Canada is too low. It's lower than all other G7 countries, and that is not good. However, we know we can do better… and that's [what] we're going to do also in the next weeks and months with all provinces and territories, so that we are better prepared and sufficiently prepared for what… may be coming in the fall."

Reacting to the news, the National Airlines Council of Canada—which represents Canada's largest carriers, including Air Canada and WestJet—said it views the move as a "major milestone for the aviation sector, the tourism industry, and for Canadian travellers," but said it is not enough to resolve the problems at airports.

The Council is calling for immediate changes to ArriveCAN to eliminate duplicative health checks, end the mandate for inbound international travellers, and a commitment to make permanent the recent suspensions of mandates and random testing.

"The government’s decision to suspend the national vaccine mandate for air travel and transportation employees is a positive step, one that will simplify many aspects of travel and bring Canada closer to the emerging standard currently in place around the world. Airlines will work diligently to implement these changes," said the Council's interim president and CEO Suzanne Acton-Gervais in a statement.

Conservative transport critic Melissa Lantsman said that while the government has "finally" moved to end travel mandates, she said a suspension is not the same as a full elimination. "Some vaccine mandates is not all vaccine mandates. Still NO science we’ve seen to justify any mandates," she tweeted.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says his team was consulted about the decision to remove these mandates before the announcement was made, given the NDP are in a confidence and supply deal with the Liberals.

"We said it's a very important factor in any decision, that we are following best evidence, and that we are letting Canadians know why certain orders are in place… And if there is no longer evidence we should no longer continue with a [public health] order," Singh said. "We supported that decision."
Old 07-04-2022, 08:30 AM   #15587
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,264 Times in 2,045 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
It sux but here we go folks .... don't shoot the messenger.

Vancouver Sun - Third Omicron Wave Has Begun
https://vancouversun.com/health/loca...o-grow-rapidly
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #15588

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
It sux but here we go folks .... don't shoot the messenger.

B.C. confirms 3rd wave of COVID-19 has arrived, as number of patients in ICU hits record high
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...l-12-1.5984289
Is this an April fools attempt?
Quote:
CBC News · Posted: Apr 12, 2021 2:24 PM PT | Last Updated: April 12, 2021
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #15589
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,264 Times in 2,045 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ sorry wrong link, dated article. I've edited in original. Kinda to be expected that case numbers will rise but be cautious .. that's all. I constantly know a handful of people who are Covid positive.

Excerpt from article:
The third Omicron wave has begun and is expected to increase rapidly and peak in August, says a COVID modelling expert.

“You go to the grocery store now and your risk is reasonably low. You go to the grocery store in three weeks and there is a high chance that somebody else will have COVID.”

“Every week in July that passes, COVID risk is doubling and that should help give people a sense of how much more likely they are to encounter COVID in their communities,” Otto said.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #15590

Yeah to be honest I feel like it's really not slowed down in my circle of friends and co workers. I always seem to know at least 2 people with it, but that said, no one out of those I know anymore is getting unmanageably sick. At the beginning it was taking people out much longer.
I think it's milder, but clearly other parts of it is that people don't care anymore. No ones going to get serious about it again, unless they are forced to.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #15591
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
A lot of people I know, including myself got this sore throat, coughing thing but it's not COVID these last few weeks. So better prepare your cheeks. Wonder when they are gonna announce 4th shots/ flu shots.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #15592
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
If restrictions are enforced again, even the people that were for it before will be saying f#ck that this time around. No one wants to hear about this anymore. Yes it's still around and people are still getting it but it's no longer deadly as it once was.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2022, 11:52 AM   #15593
Performance Moderator

^ Agreed, I still put a mask on for the train ride (for example) just being much more conscious of all cold and flu stuff I feel like it’s just a good practice to take on some ideals that metropolitan Asian cultures have been practicing for decades to abate cold and flu spreading… but that’s about the extent of it.

I’ve donated enough of my life and efforts to this stuff.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:59 AM   #15594

Quote:
We will never be fully vaccinated against COVID’: Canadians may be required to get booster shot every 9 months
https://fortune.com/2022/07/05/canad...-9-months/amp/
Old 07-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #15595

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Required or recommended? The only way I'll get a booster is if I have a trip planned and I can't fly without it.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #15596
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Meh, its like an annual flu shot. Not a big deal at all. People will turn it into a big deal though.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #15597

It works so well, you need 4 in a calendar year
Old 07-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #15598

36 months in a year now
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #15599

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Meh, its like an annual flu shot. Not a big deal at all. People will turn it into a big deal though.
Flu shot isn't a big deal because you don't have to get it, so if it's the same as that then I imagine no one will really make much of a fuss about it.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #15600

Flu mutates, that’s why we are supposed to get a shot once a year.
Covid mutates, what should we expect in that case? I thought it was just a flu anyways?
We wanted tools to manage it, got the tools, now people don’t like the tools. If you want to solve the problem, find some new tools I guess.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: