REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #1951
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Italy's healthcare was/is world-class.
Canada typically ranks in the twenties.
Good chance it could be even worse for us.

This human teleprompter of a leader is acting like the "measures" they imposed yesterday are harsh.
Just drive by your local coffee shop, or any of the many many businesses that are still open, and tell me that things don't seem to be just carrying on as normal.

And for anyone who's worried about the economy, it's dead. It has been ever since China shut down its main industrial hub.
Yesterday was the third day in the past week they had to pause trading due to mass selloffs at opening.
It's funny that Trudeau thinks some strongly worded recommendations are going to do anything ... there are too many idiots in this world to rely on the honor system. smh.
Advertisement
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 07:06 AM   #1952
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Especially when so many ppl still think this is either a hoax or overreaction, my friends seem to be rather intelligent.... But their friend groups are frighteningly tinfoil-hatty
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #1953
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,758 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
The fucking idiot strikes again with this tweet.

Trumpty can kiss goodbye a phase 2 completion of a trade deal between U.S. and China.
Talking about stigmatizing a particular ethnic group.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

The United States will be powerfully supporting those industries, like Airlines and others, that are particularly affected by the Chinese Virus. We will be stronger than ever before!

Last edited by pastarocket; 03-17-2020 at 07:37 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #1954
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
I haven't seen evidence of it, but apparently China is trying to claim the US military released the virus. If this is the case, then Trump seem to be hitting back against those claims and rightly so.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #1955
I don't get it

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #1956
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
I haven't seen evidence of it, but apparently China is trying to claim the US military released the virus. If this is the case, then Trump seem to be hitting back against those claims and rightly so.
So at this point this virus is either,

1. naturally occurring and got transmitted through wild animals to humans
2. China's own bio weapon that got accidentally released
3. American soldiers unknowingly brought it to Wuhan during the military games

neither of these have any concrete evidence, so just like aliens, there's no way will we ever know the truth haha.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #1957
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Why accidental release? I like the conspiracy it was on purpose. They sure acted quickly and are already on the rise! Aren’t conspiracies fun?
Old 03-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #1958
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
The government is in a tough situation. Essentially, the government would have to see this as equivalent to fighting a war and enact the Emergency Act through Parliament. There's no guarantee that it would pass in a minority situation. Also, you can be sure there would be legal challenges that would argue that limiting freedom of movement violates the Charter. Our legal system is what separates us from dictatorships.

Is this a war? I think public opinion is pretty divided.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #1959
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
People have bills to pay. Ei only covers 2 weeks of staying home from work. Sure we can get a break from paying a mortgage and fortis bills Etc.
All those bills are going to add up and then were fucked when its time to pay up.
the time to act is now or maybe already too late....we can't afford to wait until friday or next week if we wanna avoid 100+ deaths a day to go into shelter mode for non-essentials

i see it two ways, we wait it out for 2-3 weeks now, or wait a week then shut down for 6 weeks+

what's more painful financially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Friend works at downtown and he has no work starting today...
55% EI barely covers his $2.5k+ downtown rent.
There is lot of people living pay cheque to pay cheque, now suddenly have no way to pay next rent....
there's always gonna be exceptions like perhaps a single income is also supporting elderly parents and kids with disabilities, but this goes to suggest there are way too many people in vancouver living beyond their means

50% gross going into rent? no rainy day fund? no i dont think you have to make lots to manage personal finances well...it's almost unfortunate 2008 didn't really impact Vancouver because now people have to learn the hard way
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #1960
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
The majority of RS is pretty well off, but there are lots of people in Toronto and Vancouver who live paycheque to paycheque. Many people have made the choice of living in an urban environment because of better employment prospects and recreational opportunities, despite the high cost of living.

It's not just the health impacts that the government needs to consider - there are economic and legal ones as well. Not to mention that our supply chain is linked to the States which has highly unpredictable political leadership at the moment.

We live in very interesting times.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #1961
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
This virus is considered pretty mild in terms of death rate. Way more people will go bankrupt than die. Unless you have no debt and have an extra $50k to live off of for 6 months, this will hurt you financially if it gets out of hand like in China or Italy. China's economy was hit 10 times worse than predicted during the first 2 months of the year. Imagine that happening in Canada... as if the economy isn't bad enough already.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #1962
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
This virus is considered pretty mild in terms of death rate. Way more people will go bankrupt than die. Unless you have no debt and have an extra $50k to live off of for 6 months, this will hurt you financially if it gets out of hand like in China or Italy. China's economy was hit 10 times worse than predicted during the first 2 months of the year. Imagine that happening in Canada... as if the economy isn't bad enough already.
Economic damage is my biggest concern for sure, all the people that are going to be unemployed is unprecedented in our lifetime, hopefully most of that is only temporary but a lot of mom and pop business and businesses that were already teetering are going to go tits up for sure.

I'm still not sure how this is going to affect my work fully, my owner is pretty good to his workers and fairly well off I wouldn't be surprised that even if he shut down temporarily he continued to pay his management staff. That said I'm prepared for the worst, I'll continue to work at home and if things escalate I'm prepared after being laid off in 2010 I've made sure I always have a good chunk of money in the bank just in case.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #1963

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
So at this point this virus is either,

1. naturally occurring and got transmitted through wild animals to humans
2. China's own bio weapon that got accidentally released
3. American soldiers unknowingly brought it to Wuhan during the military games

neither of these have any concrete evidence, so just like aliens, there's no way will we ever know the truth haha.
Don't forget the one about it being smuggled from Winnipeg.
This one actually had legs considering the head of that lab died "suddenly" following the outbreak.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/frank-pl...t-67-1.4797116

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...racy-1.5442376
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #1964
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Heard about the rumors on US army bringing virus to wuhan competition; i told her to STFU, stop spreading rumors.
-you have not fact checked your sources and where are the sources?
-even if maybe its right... we are way beyong trying to find the source... nows it's self isolation now.... so why beat on a dead horse

Yup, Keg, Donelley's, Catcus club closed; people who are RENTING will be FOOKED. I see some who depends on their tips to live a life.. reality is going to sink in hard.
EI ain't even going to cover their basic needs.

Dilemma is either work with your tenant on rent of you better start dealing with no rental payments for 3 months until you might get a hearing.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #1965
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
https://twitter.com/joshchin/status/...792078337?s=20

CCP must want to keep their citizens in check after all the criticism during the outbreak

China #1
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #1966
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 405 Times in 91 Posts
Coronavirus: Asylum seekers irregularly crossing to Canada will be screened

Wow. Flat out stupid. Let's close the borders but let's keep letting the illegals walk across freely and give them a warm welcoming hug. Would a 24hr screening process even prove anything if they weren't already showing symptoms?? Let's also give them priority quarantine space at hospitals since they've nowhere else to go.

Welcome to Canada.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #1967
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 77 Times in 32 Posts
I feel like coughing or sneezing is a crime now
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #1968
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
March 17

Vancouver Coastal Health expands St. Patrick's Day closure of bars and restaurants beyond downtown core

Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Coastal Health Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. Patricia Daly is requiring that all restaurants, bars, lounges and similar venues throughout the City of Vancouver close their doors today — St. Patrick's Day — as part of efforts to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This expands the closure beyond the initially announced downtown core.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #1969
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
The fucking idiot strikes again with this tweet.

Trumpty can kiss goodbye a phase 2 completion of a trade deal between U.S. and China.
Talking about stigmatizing a particular ethnic group.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

The United States will be powerfully supporting those industries, like Airlines and others, that are particularly affected by the Chinese Virus. We will be stronger than ever before!
he is doing this because chinese govt is promoting theories that virus is from USA. he is putting china in its place.

For once i agree w/ him
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #1970
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
all these theories. bioweapon, American solders. lol

maybe the simplest one is usually the right one. it got transferred from wet markets/animals.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #1971
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
can you still take-out?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #1972
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
all these theories. bioweapon, American solders. lol

maybe the simplest one is usually the right one. it got transferred from wet markets/animals.
Like every other SARS, MERS, Avian flu, etc. All come from the same place.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #1973

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Economic damage is my biggest concern for sure, all the people that are going to be unemployed is unprecedented in our lifetime, hopefully most of that is only temporary but a lot of mom and pop business and businesses that were already teetering are going to go tits up for sure.

I'm still not sure how this is going to affect my work fully, my owner is pretty good to his workers and fairly well off I wouldn't be surprised that even if he shut down temporarily he continued to pay his management staff. That said I'm prepared for the worst, I'll continue to work at home and if things escalate I'm prepared after being laid off in 2010 I've made sure I always have a good chunk of money in the bank just in case.
Unemployment is one thing, but if our currency sinks, which it has been, since it's tied closely to the price of oil, and I mean really sinks, it won't matter who has a job.
Governments/banks are trying to maintain currency value through measures like mass quantitative easing, (US)federal reserve Bank lending (repo), interest rates etc..

I think coming out the other end of this, those involved in trades will be best situated. Governments tend to spend on infrastructure to stimulate after recessions/depressions.
Those in retail, will almost definitely not fair well though.
Just my humble opinion, of course.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #1974

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
K-12 schools closed until further notice.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #1975
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
can you still take-out?
Yes.