REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #2326
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
at the time of the initial outbreak in china, my friends who worked in the front line as doctors and nurses estimated the actual death vs official numbers were about 10 fold. The official numbers didn't include those who died at home because they were turned away at the hospitals due to lack of space. Also on certain days where reports would be like 16 dead, they saw at least half that death at just her own hospital. Count in the numbers of hospitals in Wuhan at the time, no way the total number would be 16.
I think this is a pretty fair analysis on calculating actual cases by using number of deaths.

Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #2327

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
I think that the numbers from China is manipulated goes without saying.

However, this new focus on mobile cancellation might bring an insight.

For those who don't know about the cellphone in China, it's something that EVERYONE has because it's linked to your name and pretty much everything would ask you for verification via SMS. (use free wifi? SMS verification, getting a promo at a store? register your number via SMS verification, having an appt somewhere? SMS verification) Thus, I find it very unusual to have a decline of over 11M (between 3 major carriers) accounts over this period of time.

If anyone has data to 2019, that'd be interesting to see if this is a seasonal phenomenon. But if not, we might have a glimpse into the potential real data with minimum manipulation since the Chinese official hasn't touched it yet.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #2328
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The natural death rate will have been pretty steady month-to-month for the last few years. If there's a sudden spike of, say, 13-15 million, that would stand out quite easily.
I would add that since the hospitals are overwhelmed(especially in Wuhan), some deaths could be from other illnesses that could be treated normally, but not so under the crushed healthcare system.

Those are not directly caused by COVID-19, but would still be related.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #2329
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
I don't believe a single thing that comes out of China. I've personally dealt with suppliers in China in different regions for business and they are unethical as fuck. It may not be directly related to Covid but it sure tells you what kind of people they are.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #2330

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
I almost pissed myself in my car yesterday morning before work since I found out that the first gas station in surrey didn't allow customers into the store and the second gas station 1 minute away closed their washrooms. Now with dine in restaurants going to close soon..
Old 03-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #2331
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Any dine in restaurant that hasn't closed yet doesn't deserve any support when this is all over. So irresponsible.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #2332
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
I almost pissed myself in my car yesterday morning before work since I found out that the first gas station in surrey didn't allow customers into the store and the second gas station 1 minute away closed their washrooms. Now with dine in restaurants going to close soon..
For our gas station, we removed a window and I built a pass-thru window. The store doors are locked and we stopped selling lotto. Some people are pissed because we stopped selling lotto. Yesterday I was talking to a customer about California, he mentions he was there last week. Told him to go home and quarantine. I hope people start taking this more seriously.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #2333

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think that the numbers from China is manipulated goes without saying.

However, this new focus on mobile cancellation might bring an insight.

For those who don't know about the cellphone in China, it's something that EVERYONE has because it's linked to your name and pretty much everything would ask you for verification via SMS. (use free wifi? SMS verification, getting a promo at a store? register your number via SMS verification, having an appt somewhere? SMS verification) Thus, I find it very unusual to have a decline of over 11M (between 3 major carriers) accounts over this period of time.

If anyone has data to 2019, that'd be interesting to see if this is a seasonal phenomenon. But if not, we might have a glimpse into the potential real data with minimum manipulation since the Chinese official hasn't touched it yet.
I always thought cell phone plans in Asia are a lot cheaper than what we have in Canada, so why would they cancel their account and lose their phone number? Most would just downgrade their service if they don't need to use it that much.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #2334
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
^ most people in Asia don't use calling via phone instead use whatapp or other data apps to make calls etc. So number is pretty much irrelevant.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #2335
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 74 Times in 20 Posts
Finally, a doctor at RCH is voicing his concern.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sqt...cnWajG7h1/view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200321-121734.jpg (127.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200321-120644.jpg (177.1 KB, 0 views)
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #2336

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Itll never happen but im wishing for a plot twist like Elderly will be given priority at the hospitals over young people. Maybe that will deter people from going outside. Its pretty sad that the older generation will have to suffer the consequenses for the younger generations inability to listen
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #2337
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Itll never happen but im wishing for a plot twist like Elderly will be given priority at the hospitals over young people. Maybe that will deter people from going outside. Its pretty sad that the older generation will have to suffer the consequenses for the younger generations inability to listen
Someone needs to tell the old people to stay at home. A lot of them are still going out.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #2338
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Older people are out and about to it’s not just young people. Costco at 2pm tons of older people. Lots of older people coming into the shop aswell
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #2339
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sKT...w?usp=drivesdk

She spoke in English with Chinese subtitles. Sharing insights about what's happening in Surrey's hospital.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #2340
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 31 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Older people are out and about to it’s not just young people. Costco at 2pm tons of older people. Lots of older people coming into the shop aswell
Fuck I feel like people won't be staying home unless it is enforced. Instead of giving out VI's, VPD should be citing up for people out and about in groups.

I really don't want to see Canada become the next Italy.

#StayTheFuckHome
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #2341
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,828 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
It will help when it starts raining for a week
Old 03-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #2342
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
I would l like to stay home from work but dealerships are considered an essential service.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #2343
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Was at Rocky Point park today coz Rocky ice cream is closing and they have a lot of inventory and they did online sale. Anyways went there it was super busy so tell them I will be back in an hour. Walk around the park. Lots of people there. Feels weird to see so many people in the park......

Came back to get my order waited a while and I am pretty sure I was at least 2m away from this mom and her daughter also waiting. She turn around and told me to stay farther from her..... so werid coz there were also a group of teenagers that's closer to her than me yet she said nothing to them (racist much?). Anyways I brush it off didn't want to ruin my mood.

Went home and notice a lot more people wearing mask at the supermarket.

I feel there shouldn't be this many people going parks at this point and people aren't really practicing social distancing......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #2344
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
My cousin is a nurse at Burnaby hospital, he said there's people in their 20's and 30's on ventilators. He also backed the claim from the nurse on FB that the media is under reporting because there's no way they can keep up with the patient intake.

He moved his grandparents with his sister because he's certain he will get the covid and doesn't want to risk their lives.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #2345
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 15 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
I would l like to stay home from work but dealerships are considered an essential service.
Says who?
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #2346

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
^ most people in Asia don't use calling via phone instead use whatapp or other data apps to make calls etc. So number is pretty much irrelevant.
Not sure how this apply. There's no such thing as data only sim in China as they rely heavily on a cellphone number as a way to ID a person.

A person could have multiple numbers, but a sudden decrease in masses is definitely not common in China where a cell number is basically your ID number.

And most of their plans are basically prepaid. Meaning that you deposit x amount of money and they deduct depending on service. For example (not actual figures, but the system is like this)... say 30RMB/mth for 3GB of data, and call is billed by seconds at 0.1RMB/sec. One'd usually load $300RMB in their account and only pay attention to it again when they are low in fund.

So, I find it very unusual to hear a sudden decrease in numbers.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #2347
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Cruised the strip in White Rock and checked out crescent beach today. Every patio that was open had people on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #2348
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
We finally have a study directly on this specific virus and how long it can survive on surfaces.

The results: detectable in aerosols for up to 3 hrs, up to 24 hrs on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic/stainless steel.

This really highlights the importance of washing your hands and cleaning surfaces that are commonly used in households. Another study found that cleaning surfaces with proper disinfectants effectively decontaminated the virus.

12 pages of Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2

TLDR: Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, Alcohol, Ammonium... basically every household cleaner works against this virus.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #2349
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
That sounds pretty serious, but I doubt all 8 million of those lost subs are due to people dying. Like some one else had said some people might have cancelled their lines because they aren't working. Other factors include some one who died that may have multiple lines. Businesses going under and cancelling.

But then.... even considering all those factors, would it be wrong for it to have been 3-4million dead out of 8 million subs cancelled? We all know the numbers are fudged, just how fudged?
Of course not all 8 million are each a subscriber who disappeared. There are more mobile subs in China than there are people. CM alone has over 900M subs

But this isn't nothing. All I'm saying. We need to pay attention to this.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #2350
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Convincing Boomer Parents to Take the Coronavirus Seriously (from New Yorker, well ... look where the state of NY is at now)

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...irus-seriously

Last Wednesday night, not long after President Trump’s Oval Office address, I called my mother to check in about the, you know, unprecedented global health crisis that’s happening. She told me that she and my father were in a cab on the way home from a fun dinner at the Polo Bar, in midtown Manhattan, with another couple who were old friends.

“You went to a restaurant?!” I shrieked. This was several days after she had told me, through sniffles, that she was recovering from a cold but didn’t see any reason that she shouldn’t go to the school where she works. Also, she was still hoping to make a trip to Florida at the end of the month. My dad, a lawyer, was planning to go into the office on Thursday, but thought that he might work from home on Friday, if he could figure out how to link up his personal computer. That night, moments after getting into bed, I sprang up and wrote them an anxious e-mail. “I feel like the two of you are not taking serious enough precautions right now,” I told them. “The time is DONE for going out to restaurants, showing up at the office every day, etc. Just stay inside and watch TV!” When I followed up with texts, my mother wrote back sarcastically, “Thanks mom.”

This role reversal was . . . novel. I still think of my parents as the grownups, the ones who lecture me about saving for retirement and intervene in squabbles with my little sister. It took a pandemic to thrust me into the role of the responsible adult and them into the role of the heedless children. I’m thirty-eight, and my mother and father are sixty-eight and seventy-four, respectively. Neither is retired, and both are in good shape. But people sixty-five and older—more than half of the baby-boomer population—are more susceptible to covid-19 and have a higher mortality rate, and my parents’ blithe behavior was as unsettling as the frantic warnings coming from hospitals in Italy.

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-21-2020 at 06:16 PM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: