REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #2401
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I think end of March early April.
But I wonder what's going to happen to the economy? So many people are affected already, more lay off to come and small business go out of business. Let's say this blow over by may (doubt it) how long before the ECU recover? I mean we have no money they can't afford to pay bills, mortgage, rent, food, utilities etc etc. Is the government going help out? How many people will benefit? Will the government defer property tax? Is a long lasting process… if people can't pay recession will come.and then good luck everyone. So many people is already in debt what will happen?

We're in a recession.

I know people are hoping the Government will bail them out, it's not going to happen. All they're doing is soften the blow and keeping this country afloat during the lockdown. Once the pandemic is over, the harsh economic reality will set in for many of us.

People will be losing their jobs, businesses will be closing, people will have to walk away from their homes or investment properties because they're over leveraged and every sector of our economy is going to be affected one or another.

Just take a look at our billion dollar tourism industry, it's over for them. Even if our pandemic is over, no one will be travelling. No will be interested in flying, cruise ships will empty or even cancelled. Other countries might be in lock down and in a recession themselves so who's going to be coming to vacation here. I don't even think our RE market is going to escape this time.

Remember the articles for the past couple of years about Canadian debt levels been at record high levels, highest of any developed country and we should all be worried, well it looks like Covid was the pin that burst our bubble and this time around we're not going to be immune to a recession like we were in 2008. In fact I think Canada will be in worst shape than the US this time around.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #2402
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
I already had thoughts of going bald.
Same here. Worst comes to worst, ill give myself a buzzcut.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #2403
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
We're in a recession.

I know people are hoping the Government will bail them out, it's not going to happen. All they're doing is soften the blow and keeping this country afloat during the lockdown. Once the pandemic is over, the harsh economic reality will set in for many of us.

People will be losing their jobs, businesses will be closing, people will have to walk away from their homes or investment properties because they're over leveraged and every sector of our economy is going to be affected one or another.

Just take a look at our billion dollar tourism industry, it's over for them. Even if our pandemic is over, no one will be travelling. No will be interested in flying, cruise ships will empty or even cancelled. Other countries might be in lock down and in a recession themselves so who's going to be coming to vacation here. I don't even think our RE market is going to escape this time.

Remember the articles for the past couple of years about Canadian debt levels been at record high levels, highest of any developed country and we should all be worried, well it looks like Covid was the pin that burst our bubble and this time around we're not going to be immune to a recession like we were in 2008. In fact I think Canada will be in worst shape than the US this time around.

What should we do and are you going to be affected by this?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #2404
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 9 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
We bought a month’s worth of canned goods, frozen meats/fruits/veggies, non-perishables, and items that can be made without short-shelf life products (like milk). Also grabbed lots of juices and froze a 19 L jug of water.

Extra freezer definitely coming in handy.
Curious, why freezing 19L of water?
SFU_wmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:01 AM   #2405

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Save money and no big purchases to start with.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #2406

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFU_wmc View Post
Use as ice if electricity goes down?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:12 AM   #2407
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Everyone will be affected. Those who weren't over leveraged, held cash, or got out of the markets before the record crashes are the only ones who will be treading water.

The Liberal government was spending like a drunken sailor for the past five years while not producing economic growth to match it. They added tens of billions in debt and still had only a 0.3% GDP growth in Q4 2019. I'm sure that will be audited to flat and Q1 2020 was already going to be 0 or negative GDP growth as a result of the blockades. All of this during the greatest global economic prosperity we'd ever seen; the markets were juiced. Canada was entering a recession before COVID-19 hit, plus OPEC decided to kill the energy industry to say 'fuck you' to Russia and their pricing games. Canada is now in big, big trouble. Harvey is putting it nicely saying we'll be worse off than the US.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:37 AM   #2408
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
I've been subscribed to Thunderf00t since Elevatorgate. That SJW crap seems a world away now. Worth a watch.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 AM   #2409
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFU_wmc View Post
Freezing prevents bacterial growth and, in the event of a prolonged power outage, it can be used as a cold source to keep other items cool as it won’t thaw very fast, COVID-19 symptoms include a fever (can use cold water on a cloth to use on forehead, drinking cold water better for fever)
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #2410
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,073 Times in 1,920 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 02:58 AM   #2411
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #2412
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
We're in a recession.
I think this may be our generation's great depression, not just a recession.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #2413
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
You know it's getting bad when this happens, lol.

Spoiler!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #2414

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
No.
Have you spoken to the foreman? Techs? How do they feel?
If they share your concern, you have leverage.
If they don't have techs to work, the doors close indefinitely.
If management won't make adjustments to place health at a higher priority, you can force them to.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Everyone will be affected. Those who weren't over leveraged, held cash, or got out of the markets before the record crashes are the only ones who will be treading water.

The Liberal government was spending like a drunken sailor for the past five years while not producing economic growth to match it. They added tens of billions in debt and still had only a 0.3% GDP growth in Q4 2019. I'm sure that will be audited to flat and Q1 2020 was already going to be 0 or negative GDP growth as a result of the blockades. All of this during the greatest global economic prosperity we'd ever seen; the markets were juiced. Canada was entering a recession before COVID-19 hit, plus OPEC decided to kill the energy industry to say 'fuck you' to Russia and their pricing games. Canada is now in big, big trouble. Harvey is putting it nicely saying we'll be worse off than the US.
At this point i don't think it even matters how ineffectively this government has navigated the economy. Decades of low interest rates, coupled with an artificially inflated housing market, positioned Canadians as the most indebted country in the developed world. Our dollar tied to a resource whose market we have no control over.
Did they cause it? No. They also didn't do anything about it. Understandable though, considering the prime job of a politician is to be re-elected, not fix problems.

Half a million ei claimants, equating to a 2.6% increase in unemployment this week alone. The US is projected to see 20% unemployment before we come out the other end of this.
These numbers haven't been seen since the 30's.
Of course, the US will come out on top. They always do. They are a capitalist powerhouse with the world's strongest and most influential military.
And Canada will benefit because of it. as we always have. Due to our geographic location and tied history.
Children of a common mother.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 03-22-2020 at 07:14 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #2416
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
After a lot of complaints nanaimo has shut down all parks.

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2020/03/2...ents-concerns/

Quote:
NANAIMO — City officials have followed the lead of other municipalities in the region, along with pressure from Nanaimo residents and shut down playgrounds during the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Friday, March 20, the City of Parksville announced the immediate closure of all parks under its control. Other jurisdictions soon followed suit, however no announcement came from the City of Nanaimo.

Late on Saturday, March 21, city CAO Jake Rudolph published a statement on the City’s website confirming the immediate closure of all city parks.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #2417
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,136 Times in 3,626 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
Shit, I can’t help but feel we are totally behind the 8 ball. Seems like now is the time to over respond and enforce a stay in place act instead of just “asking” people to stay home. There’s always going to be some idiots who will ignore these recommendations. Less if it’s a legal order enforced by cops and punitive fines associated.

Cain and friends will finally do something worth while ?!
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #2418
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Dr. Bonnie is doing such a good job!

*Looks at the parks and beaches

The provinces messaging between her and that sack of crap Adrian dix is so mixed it’s no wonder people are still out, literally in the same paragraph she’s saying go out for walks with family and small groups, and in the same breathe says don’t go out. You obviously have to make it cut and dry because people are not able to read between the lines.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #2419

Unleashed, the forces of capitalism.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN218105
Quote:
(Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the first rapid coronavirus diagnostic test, with a detection time of about 45 minutes, as the United States struggles to meet the demand for coronavirus testing.

The test’s developer, California-based molecular diagnostics company Cepheid, said on Saturday it had received an emergency use authorization from the FDA for the test, which will be used primarily in hospitals and emergency rooms. The company plans to begin shipping it to hospitals next week, it said.

The FDA confirmed its approval in a separate statement. It said the company intends to roll out the availability of its testing by March 30.

Under the current testing regime, samples must be sent to a centralized lab, where results can take days.

“With new tools like point-of-care diagnostics, we are moving into a new phase of testing, where tests will be much more easily accessible to Americans who need them,” U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said on Saturday.
-Norm Franz
Old 03-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #2420
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 52 Times in 17 Posts
Young healthy male neighbor showed heavy symptoms (fever, difficulty breathing, maybe more) of covid. Called for the ambulance. They came, checked his vitals and sent him back home with a facemask. Told him to call back if symptoms escalate. Didn't test him as they said he'll have a way higher chance of getting it at the hospital while getting tested, SMH. He looks like he's about to die.

Don't trust the numbers they are putting out. You pretty much have to be near death for them to even attempt to test you. We're right at the beginning of this shit show. Don't be naive and please respect this virus. Do your part. Don't think that you're young and its ok. Even if you don't die from it, it'll still most likely be the worst experience you'll ever have.

I really hope they do mandatory door to door testing asap when they have the technology and resources to do it.

Its gonna be a rough ride.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #2421
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
I'm just going out for a drive........... only getting out of car to charge the EV. Disinfect the plug. I live in a detached home, so no contact there. Go see the wife at the cemetery, then off to Lee Valley Tools to pick up an order. It's all paid for and they'll bring it out to car. I'll ask them to just place the order in the trunk. I'll wave bye through closed windows. When I get home, I'll wipe the items down wearing gloves and hazmat suit.

I'm doing my part.

As a side note...........

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...pen-vancouver/
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 03-22-2020 at 12:01 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #2422
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
Young healthy male neighbor showed heavy symptoms (fever, difficulty breathing, maybe more) of covid. Called for the ambulance. They came, checked his vitals and sent him back home with a facemask. Told him to call back if symptoms escalate. Didn't test him as they said he'll have a way higher chance of getting it at the hospital while getting tested, SMH. He looks like he's about to die.

Don't trust the numbers they are putting out. You pretty much have to be near death for them to even attempt to test you. We're right at the beginning of this shit show. Don't be naive and please respect this virus. Do your part. Don't think that you're young and its ok. Even if you don't die from it, it'll still most likely be the worst experience you'll ever have.

I really hope they do mandatory door to door testing asap when they have the technology and resources to do it.

Its gonna be a rough ride.
Two things - If I was him I’d 100% want to ride it out at home as long as possible. As they said, the experts, it’s going to be much worse if you’re at the hospital. If you’re going to take everyone in that state to the hospital that’s when the health care system will crumble

- door to door testing is pointless and a huge waste of resources. Knowing you have it one way or the other is somewhat irrelevant and will just cause panic and again, a further strain on the system. Assume you have it and be healthy in your approach.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #2423
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Failed 80 Times in 15 Posts
fuck this family

https://globalnews.ca/news/6715338/c...-masks-selling
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #2424
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
Such fucking scums
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #2425
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
$40 a box is actually pretty good price. Not sure about quality but I saw Canadian Tire selling masks at $33 and CL asking for $60 a box of 50 pcs.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: