REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
I don't get it either

Failed 169 Times in 28 Posts
HELP! Kaltire and Canadian Tire said my car is too old for their alignment machine!

So I inherited this 72 Beetle (electric conversion school project) that needs some alignment done. I booked appointment at Kaltire today and after I arrived and dropped the car off, waited an hour and the mechanic said the car is too old for their alignment machine.

Then I went to Canadian tire, and first the guy said sure no problem and wanted me to book an appointment for tomorrow. I asked him to double check with the mechanic if they can do it because I wasted an hour at Kaltire, and then the mechanic said nop they can't do it.

Anyone know what shop can do alignment on vintage cars or work on classic VWs not too far from Richmond? The car is electric with 10 year old batteries so I can't drive too far.

Here is a pic of the car:

Advertisement
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
If the batteries are bad enough you can't drive it much, just do a basic alignment with some string and a measuring tape.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
^Or get towed. Autotech Alignment in Langley works on vintage cars
Old 07-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I had this problem with my 68 Mustang when I needed to pass a provincial inspection to get modified collector plates... Canadian Tire said their computer software doesn’t have any stats for what a car that age is supposed to be at... likely this is the case with any big chain shop
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,275 Times in 303 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 9 Posts
They may not be able to input your car and pull up the numbers, but if you can give them the numbers they should all be able to do it...
Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
They couldn't setup the most rudimentary steering? WTF.

Google the specs, inform the customer and make the adjustments.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Failed 206 Times in 108 Posts
is that the bug that was found dangling off second narrows a few years back?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,309 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
They couldn't setup the most rudimentary steering? WTF.

Google the specs, inform the customer and make the adjustments.
That's too much work for most people

@OP, best to go to a mom and pop shop that cares. I don't have anything around Richmond that I know so sorry no help there. My experience with a lot of shops in Richmond would probably give you the same "Nope too old can't do" and secretly "Don't waste my time"
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Maybe shoot CCA-Dave a pm?

For something like this the best bet is a small independent shop, big chains are only really good for common vehicles.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Go indi. Big shops like that work on 2010 civics all day. No one knows a damn thing about anything older than 90's.
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try giving Beetle Spa and RX Autoworks in North Vancouver a call. I work nearby and I always see them working on classic bugs.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
I don't get it either

Ok after calling few different shops, I decided to book an appointment with Juan's Auto Service next Thursday(earliest they have available) as he sounded most knowledgeable about the beetle and located in Richmond.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
is that the bug that was found dangling off second narrows a few years back?
UBC engineering had been doing that for decades putting beetle in different places even Golden Gate in SF. Those were different cars though.

This one is the first EV to drive across Canada in 2010.
https://www.wired.com/2010/09/electr...ast-in-canada/
Old 07-31-2020, 07:13 AM   #14
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Go to turning oriented shops, they do custom stuff. aka speed syndicate or garage 5
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
Any shop with an alignment machine can do the job, if you give them the alignment specs.

You want the column on the left.

But really, just go to Dales Auto Service. Jason at Dale's is a VW guy, owns a beetle, and can align your car with his eyes closed. Seriously, cancel your other appointment and go where it will 100% be done correctly. Jason sorted the rear on both my Rally Bug and German Look beetle. Rear camber isn't adjustable from the factory. Jason, however, knew how to make the corrections needed.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #16
I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
Any shop with an alignment machine can do the job, if you give them the alignment specs.

You want the column on the left.

But really, just go to Dales Auto Service. Jason at Dale's is a VW guy, owns a beetle, and can align your car with his eyes closed. Seriously, cancel your other appointment and go where it will 100% be done correctly. Jason sorted the rear on both my Rally Bug and German Look beetle. Rear camber isn't adjustable from the factory. Jason, however, knew how to make the corrections needed.
Just called Dale's Auto Service. The guy on the phone said their alignment guy isn't named Jason, but their marketing guy is named Jason and used to own a beetle. They don't have spot till next Friday, and also needs me to drop the car off for the whole day which is logistically a little difficult as I dunno what I'd do in Langley for a whole day (or i'd need to find someone and take 2 cars).

I did find that alignment spec sheet online but many places I called said can't do it not sure why.

I was recommended to go to West Coast Frame and Alignment, they seem like they would know the car but after calling them I'd need to leave the car there for a whole day too which is inconvenient.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #17

Well, you asked for advice and a solution...can't help it if you don't like the solution. Dropping the car off for a full day may be inconvenient, but it is typical.

You aren't driving a modern-day car with plug-and-play solutions. If you're looking for the honda-under-warranty experience, buy a Honda that is under warranty. Add to the fact that your car has been swapped to e-power, and you're in for a hell of a ride when it comes to getting it maintained "conveniently." That car also has suspension modifications which are not factory, adding to the potential issues you might find at an alignment.

That E-Beetle was lowered in the front circa 2009/2010, and I'm not sure by what method. It could have a lowering beam in it, it could be drop spindles. The car was given an inspection order back in 2010, and the height may have been 'corrected' to pass...but I'm not sure, your photo isn't at an angle that helps me determine. The thing is, if it wasn't set back to factory height front and rear, or if the front is lowered and the rear isn't, the factory alignment settings are almost impossible to hit. If the front and rear are lowered a light amount, you can hit the factory settings.

I won't be at all surprised to find out that they cannot get the correct camber settings in for the alignment, and you'll also find the caster is wrong if it doesn't have castor shims installed. The wheels that car has are the wrong offset and width, which combined with your photo angle make it really difficult for me to make any further assessments.

Unless you know what settings you _want_, be prepared for two alignment visits. One to determine the car can't be set to factory numbers, and a second to return with the parts and knowledge that might help correct it. This presumes that ball joints, bearings, and tie-rod ends are all in good shape (if they aren't, you can't even get the first "how close can we get" assessment).

I'd fully expect that you're going to experience the following:

1) We can't align it, your ____ are worn out.
2) You get the parts, and return to the shop. We can't align it, the car is too out of spec for ____ setting.
3) You PM me, tell me that they can't hit the caster/camber/other setting, and I tell you how to fix it.
4) You return, with parts and/or knowledge, and they get the car within spec, or within an acceptable margin.

...which is why I suggested Dales. You drop the car off, they discover #1. Take an educated guess that #3 will happen (since Jason knows the cars), and call you up with a list of parts and an extra day they need the car. Repair parts and modification parts show up, and you leave in good shape. Any other shop, and you'll be doing two or three visits.

This is life with classic cars, and especially life with modified classic cars.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
So I inherited this 72 Beetle (electric conversion school project) that needs some alignment done.
What is the reason you've determined it "needs some alignment done"? What are the issues you are trying to solve.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
I don't get it either

Quote:
Well, you asked for advice and a solution...can't help it if you don't like the solution. Dropping the car off for a full day may be inconvenient, but it is typical.

You aren't driving a modern-day car with plug-and-play solutions. If you're looking for the honda-under-warranty experience, buy a Honda that is under warranty. Add to the fact that your car has been swapped to e-power, and you're in for a hell of a ride when it comes to getting it maintained "conveniently." That car also has suspension modifications which are not factory, adding to the potential issues you might find at an alignment.

That E-Beetle was lowered in the front circa 2009/2010, and I'm not sure by what method. It could have a lowering beam in it, it could be drop spindles. The car was given an inspection order back in 2010, and the height may have been 'corrected' to pass...but I'm not sure, your photo isn't at an angle that helps me determine. The thing is, if it wasn't set back to factory height front and rear, or if the front is lowered and the rear isn't, the factory alignment settings are almost impossible to hit. If the front and rear are lowered a light amount, you can hit the factory settings.

I won't be at all surprised to find out that they cannot get the correct camber settings in for the alignment, and you'll also find the caster is wrong if it doesn't have castor shims installed. The wheels that car has are the wrong offset and width, which combined with your photo angle make it really difficult for me to make any further assessments.

Unless you know what settings you _want_, be prepared for two alignment visits. One to determine the car can't be set to factory numbers, and a second to return with the parts and knowledge that might help correct it. This presumes that ball joints, bearings, and tie-rod ends are all in good shape (if they aren't, you can't even get the first "how close can we get" assessment).

I'd fully expect that you're going to experience the following:

1) We can't align it, your ____ are worn out.
2) You get the parts, and return to the shop. We can't align it, the car is too out of spec for ____ setting.
3) You PM me, tell me that they can't hit the caster/camber/other setting, and I tell you how to fix it.
4) You return, with parts and/or knowledge, and they get the car within spec, or within an acceptable margin.

...which is why I suggested Dales. You drop the car off, they discover #1. Take an educated guess that #3 will happen (since Jason knows the cars), and call you up with a list of parts and an extra day they need the car. Repair parts and modification parts show up, and you leave in good shape. Any other shop, and you'll be doing two or three visits.

This is life with classic cars, and especially life with modified classic cars.
The car drives straight when I point the steering wheel at 11oclock, and it seems to wonder a bit as I need to constantly adjust steering to keep the car going straight. I think the toe is off for sure.

I'm not sure if front beam is modified or not. When we bought the donor car it was already modified. The front end we adjusted the height with the bolt in the center of the beam. In order to accommodate for heavy battery(mounted where back seats are) we had to set the rear torsion arm to a much higher position and add coil-overs. I just greased the front beam and bled the brakes yesterday and inspected the ball joints. They look ok visually but I'm not a mechanics so I don't know for sure.

I took some pictures of the suspension just now, can you what's on it? Also I noticed something weird is the rear passenger wheel seem to stick out beyond the fender whereas rear driver is tucked in. Is it due to suspension settings or is the driver side rear fender 'pulled out'? I took pictures in the gallery.

https://imgur.com/a/M492SVf

You made some very good points thanks. Let me see if I can find a ride to Langley, or if not I might have to risk my girlfriend driving my collector plated AMG there with me...
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
The car drives straight when I point the steering wheel at 11oclock, and it seems to wonder a bit as I need to constantly adjust steering to keep the car going straight. I think the toe is off for sure.

I'm not sure if front beam is modified or not. When we bought the donor car it was already modified. The front end we adjusted the height with the bolt in the center of the beam. In order to accommodate for heavy battery(mounted where back seats are) we had to set the rear torsion arm to a much higher position and add coil-overs. I just greased the front beam and bled the brakes yesterday and inspected the ball joints. They look ok visually but I'm not a mechanics so I don't know for sure.
Front beam is definitely modified, with adjusters which is fine. You've got standard spindles, so should be able to hit stock alignment settings without caster shims. Did you adjust the height by adjusting both the top and bottom adjusters, or just one? You should be doing both, an equal amount.

The rear upper shock mounts are not designed to carry any significant load, they are designed for the loads of damping only, not sprung weight. The proper way to accommodate for the battery weight is to swap out your torsion bars for a thicker set, available from Sway-a-way. If you are going to continue with the coil-overs, you need to make sure you have at minimum of a 3-bar Kafer brace, but much more preferably a 5-bar kafer brace.

Quote:
I took some pictures of the suspension just now, can you what's on it? Also I noticed something weird is the rear passenger wheel seem to stick out beyond the fender whereas rear driver is tucked in. Is it due to suspension settings or is the driver side rear fender 'pulled out'? I took pictures in the gallery.
Pick a fender bolt, near the 'top' of the fender arch. Measure from the fender beading to the fender lip. It's far more common for one fender to be replaced, and of a different width dimension, then it is for the chassis to be that badly out of spec. If the fenders are the same, confirm the wheels are the same width and offset.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
I don't get it either

Quote:
Front beam is definitely modified, with adjusters which is fine. You've got standard spindles, so should be able to hit stock alignment settings without caster shims. Did you adjust the height by adjusting both the top and bottom adjusters, or just one? You should be doing both, an equal amount.

The rear upper shock mounts are not designed to carry any significant load, they are designed for the loads of damping only, not sprung weight. The proper way to accommodate for the battery weight is to swap out your torsion bars for a thicker set, available from Sway-a-way. If you are going to continue with the coil-overs, you need to make sure you have at minimum of a 3-bar Kafer brace, but much more preferably a 5-bar kafer brace.

Pick a fender bolt, near the 'top' of the fender arch. Measure from the fender beading to the fender lip. It's far more common for one fender to be replaced, and of a different width dimension, then it is for the chassis to be that badly out of spec. If the fenders are the same, confirm the wheels are the same width and offset.

the last time height was adjusted was by other students long time ago so I'm not sure if they adjusted it equally. If I assume they did it wrong how do I make sure I do it right by redoing it? Do I loosen both all the way then turn top and bottom same amount of turns until ride height is set?

I didn't know about the kafer brace. When we had the shocks only with battery installed and torsion bar set the car was a little low, probably about 1 finger gap in fenders. AVR parts which sponsored us 10 years ago with some parts suggested adding the spring coil-overs. The spring didn't seem to be that stiff as it raised the car up by about 1 inch. I think they were these: https://avrparts.com/products/coil-o...af088e93&_ss=r

I'm actually pretty paranoid about the weight of the battery (1000lb) as i've seen crash video of the beetle and they don't seem to hold up and no crumple zone like modern cars. I am looking into adding a roll cage that will tie into the car frame and frame of the battery mounts for the driver's safety. Do you think the kafer brace high priority or both just as high? Or should I make the roll cage tie into the shock mount to stiffen it up? and Yes Im aware of the danger of roll cage for street cars and I will custom make it as far as possible from my head so I don't hit it.

I just measured the fender, both fender are about the same. so it might be the wheel or hub/rotor. on the passenger side it looks like there may be a spacer on the wheel not sure. I will pull the wheel later this afternoon and investigate further.

P.S I saw your car on the other thread and remembered seeing it posted on AVR's instagram just a few days ago and connected the two, looks sweet!