REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:34 PM   #1001
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Oh... mikey mikey... you are too naive. There's only one reason to get a 100" TV.

So what you see on the screen would be almost 1:1 lifesize.
Might as well go for a Quest 3 or Apple's VR headset at that point - at least it'll be way more immersive
Advertisement
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2024, 06:23 AM   #1002
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,552 Times in 5,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/scot...flyer-2667174/

I signed up for this the other day because I need to make a larger purchase in foreign currency.

Annual fee is waived for the first year, sign-up bonus (30,000 Scene points), 6 lounge passes, and a $125 rebate through Frugal Flyer.

Not sure if I will be keeping it long term. Trying to figure out the best card for travel rewards at the moment since I fly multiple times a year for pleasure.

It might be time to retire my cashback CIBC Dividend VI, although I liked how brainless it was for the past several years and the 4% gas/groceries cashback.
We used this card prior to switching to Amex reserve. For longer trips the no international transaction fees probably saved us almost $1000

The longe access is kinda meh as it’s all plaza premium lounges for re most part but still nice to have. If you get the companion card the second card also gets an Additional 6 visits
Old 01-29-2024, 08:13 PM   #1003
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Did not know Costco carried fancy rice. Koshihikari "Sushi" rice. I purchased a bag last week and used it to make futomaki and inarizushi. Pretty darn good. It's short grain and Product of Japan.

I always use Cal Rose rice (Kokuho Red, Sekka, T&T, etc.) and to save money, cheap long grain once in a while. I finally got to use the sushi rice setting on the Zojirushi. Too expensive for every day rice, but..................
Good to know

Sekka was my favorite rice, then the prices started to shoot up

Another good alternative is Sungiven Sushi rice. Used to be decently priced but prices have been creeping up also. Tastes fantastic in my Zojirushi rice cooker

Which Costco carries Koshihikari rice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:06 PM   #1004
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Good to know

Sekka was my favorite rice, then the prices started to shoot up

Another good alternative is Sungiven Sushi rice. Used to be decently priced but prices have been creeping up also. Tastes fantastic in my Zojirushi rice cooker

Which Costco carries Koshihikari rice?
Willingdon Costco for sure.

Also, Kim's Mart on Broadway, close to Fraser Street dropped their prices on rices.......... sorry, had to. The cheapest of the Calrose was the Asami brand. It's US No. 1 Extra Fancy Medium Grain. Don't have the receipt with me, but I'm pretty sure the Asami was $32.xx for a 40 lb bag and the Sekka was $36.00? I think rice prices everywhere have come down recently. Anything lower than $1/lb is good.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 10:58 AM   #1005
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

which Zojirushi models do you guys have? best place to buy?

I was waiting for one at the bay to go on sale but now seems like they don't carry it anymore.

my cousin told me to get one a while ago, says it makes a huge difference.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:08 AM   #1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post

I was waiting for one at the bay to go on sale but now seems like they don't carry it anymore.

I have the Pressure Induction Heating model which takes forever but makes good rice. Also plays a jingle and has more options than I'll ever use.

One of my friends cooks rice his Instant Pot and honestly it tastes pretty much the same but only takes like 10 minutes. It tastes better than normal rice cookers and right up there with mine for a fraction of the price.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:17 PM   #1007

Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:

I got the ZCC10 last year. Huge upgrade compared to the old Tiger we had from Walmart. But the Tiger could get it done in 20mins, the Zojirushi needs 50mins for the same amount of rice. The rice tastes better though and my kids are actually eating more because of it.

Last I heard the ZCC10 has been replaced by a newer model, but I don't know what the new model is. Do your research first because depending on the rice you eat (Thai jasmine, Japanese short grain, etc) you might want a different cooker.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:18 PM   #1008
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,308 Times in 3,351 Posts
Oh costco has a Tiger hot water boiler for 175. Tiger uppercut is good stuff.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:21 PM   #1009
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I cook mine using an instant pot and think it's good enough. The only thing I don't like about it is that the nonstick pot from Instant Pot isn't nonstick enough. I don't want to commit counter space to a dedicated rice cooker. The IP earns its place by being a pressure cooker and an air fryer on top of cooking rice, even though the 2 separate lids takes up more space than I'd like.
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:52 PM   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I got the ZCC10 last year. Huge upgrade compared to the old Tiger we had from Walmart. But the Tiger could get it done in 20mins, the Zojirushi needs 50mins for the same amount of rice. The rice tastes better though and my kids are actually eating more because of it.

Last I heard the ZCC10 has been replaced by a newer model, but I don't know what the new model is. Do your research first because depending on the rice you eat (Thai jasmine, Japanese short grain, etc) you might want a different cooker.
This one? but rice takes 50 mins???

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-Z...046cdd410&th=1
Old 01-30-2024, 01:53 PM   #1011

This is the one my cousin told me to get but i can't find it anymore

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/npgbc

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/rice-cookers

which one should i be looking for? regular white guy that loves rice.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:13 PM   #1012

Quote:
This one? but rice takes 50 mins???

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-Z...046cdd410&th=1
Yes. All the "legit" rice cookers take about 50mins. If it cooks too quickly the rice isn't "done well".
Old 01-30-2024, 02:13 PM   #1013
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,007 Times in 5,323 Posts
Can't go wrong with any elephant
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:22 PM   #1014

Quote:
This is the one my cousin told me to get but i can't find it anymore

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/npgbc

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/rice-cookers

which one should i be looking for? regular white guy that loves rice.
T&T and a few shops at Lansdowne carry these rice cookers if you're willing to travel.

If you're not particular then something from Costco or anything ~$200 will probably be more than enough. I'm pretty sure you can get away with using an Instant Pot pressure cooker - that way you can use it for other kinds of food as well.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:10 PM   #1015
MG1

My Zojirushi I purchased at Costco for under $90.00 USD a long time ago. Then they stopped carrying them. The inner pot got pretty worn out, so I put it into storage as a spare and went with a Tiger. Was on sale last year at $89.99 USD. Bellingham Costco.

One of the very very few things worth getting from Costco in the US.

I haven't seen rice cookers at Bellingham in quite some time. Even at regular price, the Tiger rice cookers were $99.00.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:17 PM   #1016
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,606 Times in 4,314 Posts
My $30 6 cup black and decker rice cooker cooks it perfectly every single time, I don't understand the need to spend $200+ on one.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:19 PM   #1017
MG1

Forgot............ Costco here in Canada had Cuckoo rice cookers on sale not that long ago.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:23 PM   #1018
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
My $30 6 cup black and decker rice cooker cooks it perfectly every single time, I don't understand the need to spend $200+ on one.
Must restrain myself.......................

Was gonna say, this from an inmate.

I've always said frozen No Name Pizza from Superstore is just as good as anything from an authentic Italian restaurant................

Last edited by MG1; 01-30-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:24 PM   #1019
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,273 Posts
Quote:
That's me with 90% of consumer purchases. Sort by price Ascending and hitting BUY on the first one that doesn't have a rating below 4.3/5 stars.

But then 50% of RS posts would be just plain not exist if we didn't have posts asking how to fulfill some niche edge case or extreme idiosyncrasies of taste.

I honestly wish I had the time and money to curate my life like that.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:41 PM   #1020
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,552 Times in 5,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Must restrain myself.......................

Was gonna say, this from an inmate.

I've always said frozen No Name Pizza from Superstore is just as good as anything from an authentic Italian restaurant................
I’ve never had more hate/comments on anything in my life than when I commented on some Italian vloggers instagram saying Italian food is overrated

People were telling me to kill myself over it lol
Old 01-30-2024, 03:53 PM   #1021

Quote:
That 10k base used Corolla is fine every single time, I don't understand the need to spend $X0000 on [insert whatever car here] when you just drive to work.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 03:56 PM   #1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
That's me with 90% of consumer purchases. Sort by price Ascending and hitting BUY on the first one that doesn't have a rating below 4.3/5 stars.

But then 50% of RS posts would be just plain not exist if we didn't have posts asking how to fulfill some niche edge case or extreme idiosyncrasies of taste.

I honestly wish I had the time and money to curate my life like that.
Expensive rice cookers are easier to justify when used every day, especially when feeding multiple people every meal. It's not that you can't get away with using a cheaper cooker, but it feels like a small price to pay upfront for years of enjoyment.

Quote:
I did that for a while when my parents left Vancouver - I just didn't see the need to use a 10-cup cooker when I was only making 1-2 cups. The biggest difference is that the rice touching the pot would stick and have a different texture / flavor than the rice in the middle.

My mom was horrified when she saw what I was doing one visit and that cooker went missing shortly after...

Last edited by radeonboy; 01-30-2024 at 04:02 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 03:59 PM   #1023
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
That 10k base used Corolla is fine every single time, I don't understand the need to spend $X0000 on [insert whatever car here] when you just drive to work.
Yes, but watching a hot brunette in a short, tight, shiny, blue, dress getting out of an Italian designed low to the ground supercar is hella more satisfying than same girl getting out of a Corolla............. at least in my world.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:00 PM   #1024
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,791 Times in 1,195 Posts
If you don’t mind having Japanese layout on your rice cooker, do yourself a favor and order one from Amazon Japan. There are only a handful options you’d really need anyway (regular cook, speed cook, timer and maybe porridge)

Japanese versions are at least 3-5 generations ahead of the models we have here and after everything (tax and shipping), it’s probably cheaper for a comparable model.

Also, it’s free of Japanese sales tax, meaning any price you see on Amazon Japan, you take 10% off. And usually when you have a large item, you can also add a whole bunch of smaller items for not a lot of extra shipping.

That’s what I do now with Japanese electronics. If you are really anal about electrical, you can always add a high quality down converter to convert voltage from 120v 60hz to Japanese 100v 50hz. But I’ve been using my Japanese zojirushi without a converter for 10 years and it never skipped a beat. Other than replacing the inner pot to a Taiwanese made stainless steel one, it has been running 11 all these years.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:01 PM   #1025
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,053 Times in 3,938 Posts
The Cuckoo from Costco that I picked up based on the suggestions from you guys here a few months back has been great. My wife said to thank you guys for convincing me to get a proper one and not another super cheap basic one lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: