REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 07-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #526
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So I think it's safe to announce it to my fellow dads.

We are expecting a 2nd one in Jan.

We are fucked.
Congratulations.

3 kids is the tipping point when your household will take a long-term hit financially.

My wife is now a VP and we have two kids who are now 5 and 7. Life in North America is centered around families of 4 people - you'll be fine.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #527
private modder

Thanked 2,693 Times in 752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It seems that things haven't changed in the 7 years I've been a parent. The UppaBaby Vista was the de-rigeur status symbol of new parents in the mid-2010s, even in the suburbs.

Are the really uppity parents still using Stokke strollers? I haven't seen those in a while.
I've only see one Stokke and it's my neighbour who has it. They are kind of uppity, you are right. They look space age and fashionable, but I feel not very practical, and I wasn't impressed with the quality of the roll when pushing it.

Stokke Tripp Trapps however are all the rage.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #528
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So I think it's safe to announce it to my fellow dads.

We are expecting a 2nd one in Jan.

We are fucked.
Well you had to fuck to get to where you are

CONGRATS

from what everyone has told me, 2nd is easier as you learn so much from your first. But also you could be completely screwed as sometimes the 2nd child is nothing like the 1st lol
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:17 PM   #529
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,942 Posts
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 08:31 AM   #530
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,719 Times in 1,631 Posts
Haha i have friends with 3+ kids, and they all say, on a scale of 10 with 10 being the most difficult, it's:
1st: 8/10
2nd: 15/10
3rd+: 2/10

With the first it's hard because you donno wtf you're doing.
2nd is realllly hard because unless your first is past grade school, you now have to worry about an infant AND a toddler. Like the infant needs naps but the toddler is screaming. Or the toddler throws a tantrum because you won't let him/her feed the infant goldfish crackers.
3rd+, you don't give a shit, tv and cheetos when they're 6 months. haha
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #531
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanks for the comments a few pages on back on infant car seat brands.

Anyone have an opinion on infant seats vs. convertible? Seems like the convertible are better financially since you only have to buy one seat; however, they can be more bulky which is a pain at the start when you are pulling them out of the car and carrying them/connecting it to the stroller.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #532
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,577 Posts
I went with the infant seat to start because it was just so much easier. One latch and the whole thing (baby + carrier bucket) comes off. One click and it gets locked in the car. Then you just carry the baby carrier everywhere.

IMO, a newborn / infant would be too small / too fragile / too limp to set him up in the car seat when you are inside the car. It is much easier to do it at home by putting him into the baby carrier.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 09:56 AM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post

Anyone have an opinion on infant seats vs. convertible? Seems like the convertible are better financially since you only have to buy one seat; however, they can be more bulky which is a pain at the start when you are pulling them out of the car and carrying them/connecting it to the stroller.
I would bite the bullet and buy an infant seat. Infants sleep a lot and you probably don't want to risk waking them up by taking them in and out of a convertible seat.

When you go to a place like Snuggle Bugz or TJ's, you should demo some infant seats and compatible strollers. Taking an infant seat out of the car with your baby in it is actually very easy - far easier than crouching down and unbuckling an infant from a convertible seat.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Haha i have friends with 3+ kids, and they all say, on a scale of 10 with 10 being the most difficult, it's:

2nd is realllly hard because unless your first is past grade school, you now have to worry about an infant AND a toddler. Like the infant needs naps but the toddler is screaming. Or the toddler throws a tantrum because you won't let him/her feed the infant goldfish crackers.
The first couple of years with an infant and toddler were tough, no question about it.

However, once they learn to communicate with each other, it's all gravy after that.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:54 AM   #535

Quote:

100% buy an infant seat, unless you're really strapped. Even then I'd forego other things and get an infant seat.

You cannot easily remove a convertible seat from the car, and afaik, not a single convertible seat 'clicks' into a stroller. Convertibles are meant to be set in the car, and left there. Infant seats detach from the base which connects to the car.

Being able to un/buckle the floppy newborn outside of the car alone is worth it, and being able to transport him/her from the car to home without fiddling around, especially if they're asleep.

They're also inherently easier to use because they're designed only to a low weight/height limit, whereas convertibles are designed with a much larger range.

Plus if you are thinking of having more than 1, as long as you store it properly (ie. not in a shed outside) you can reuse them as long as they're not expired.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Thanks for asking, so far he's doing pretty good!

He is 3.5 months old now and sleeps 8 hours straight every night. So that's been a massive boost to our morale. He's growing like a weed and seems fairly chill as far as babies go (with the exception of a meltdown here and there).

We've done a couple road trips within the province, including a ferry, and I'd say those were the most stressful for us as a couple, but we made it work and made up afterwards lol. But it made things very clear to me that there is no way we are ever getting on a plane anytime soon. I also learned that vacations aren't really vacations anymore, oh well.
Until they're old enough to play by themselves without imminent danger, the best vacations are the few hours you get alone at home haha.

But congrats, sounds like you hit the sleep lottery. Although I think at that age you're still supposed to wake them up to feed, I don't remember now haha.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:46 PM   #537
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,252 Times in 515 Posts
When's the RS hand me down thread start?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #538
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:

Infant carrier is safer as they're designed for them and you can get them in and out of a car without waking them.

Convertible can work, but they all have a minimal size and weight limit. If your child is a bit premature most convertibles even with an infant insert will not be suitable and the hospital would not let you leave unless you have a seat that's safe for your child.

If you guys are interested, I can see if I can ask for an exclusive discount code from Clek. Just let me know if this is something you guys actually want and willing to commit.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #539
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,838 Times in 3,880 Posts
I don’t know all the terms. But my wife and I had the baby carrier that clicks into the base that you leave in the car. So we had a base for both cars made it super easy. Then you take the baby carrier and it clicks right into the buggy. At the time my buggy was a different brand but with an adapter bar it works in like too. It was awesome
Old 07-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #540

^that's the infant seat lol
Old 07-22-2022, 08:36 PM   #541
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:

my 3rd is only a few weeks old so not sure about the rating for that but i totally agree with the 1st and 2nd ratings; my 2nd was a nightmare experience for the first year
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:16 PM   #542

Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Well you had to fuck to get to where you are

CONGRATS

from what everyone has told me, 2nd is easier as you learn so much from your first. But also you could be completely screwed as sometimes the 2nd child is nothing like the 1st lol
Sibling rivalry every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:26 AM   #543
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,193 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The first couple of years with an infant and toddler were tough, no question about it.

However, once they learn to communicate with each other, it's all gravy after that.
Must be nice lol. All my 5 & 7 YO do is bicker and fight.

Then I have to mediate this:

Dad, 5YO is petting and treating me like a cat!
Well, you've been sitting there mewing so maybe if you didn't act like a cat 5YO won't treat you like a cat.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
Must be nice lol. All my 5 & 7 YO do is bicker and fight.

Then I have to mediate this:

Dad, 5YO is petting and treating me like a cat!
Well, you've been sitting there mewing so maybe if you didn't act like a cat 5YO won't treat you like a cat.
Shoulda been like "sorry, I don't speak cat". Really piss 7YO off lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2022, 06:59 AM   #545
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,025 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/therewasana...tm_name=iossmf

If this happened to me I would hope I respond with just a wee bit more vigor than the dad in the video.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:05 AM   #546

Thanked 14,838 Times in 3,880 Posts
That was pathetic
Old 07-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #547
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,577 Posts
WTF was the dad doing? If the monkey was trying to steal my kid, you can bet I'd do more than just fake kicks...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:08 PM   #548

So a while ago the kid was doing something and bopped the back of her head. To distract her from crying I told her I would teach her how to say "I bumped my head" like a smart adult. She was immediately interested, so half in jest, I taught her to next time say "Something struck my occipital", never expecting her to remember it.

Now every time she bumps her head she says it perfectly, and it's the funniest thing. Everyone who hears her say it also bursts out laughing, and her grandparents think she's a genius. She also sometimes asks for other phrases so I'm convinced it's helpful for language development, although the wife gives me a glare every time I do.

So LPT: Teach your kid a few phrases that are totally disproportionate to their language level, and watch hilarity ensue. Use your judgement of course, probably shouldn't teach a 3 year old to say 'my penis is flaccid' or whatever...lol
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 09:22 PM   #549
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,193 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Shoulda been like "sorry, I don't speak cat". Really piss 7YO off lol.
7YO has always talked to/played with their collection of stuffed animals. Turtles/cats/stingrays/sea lions etc..

At the Vancouver Aquarium, we're over by the sea lions. They're lazing around napping in the sun, facing away from us.

7YO goes, "Watch this, I can speak sea lion."
"Uhuh, of course you can."

7YO goes up to the railing closest to the sea lions and in a loud voice goes, "Hey Sea Lion, AAARRRRPPPPPP!!!"

One of the sea lions cracks their eyes open, turns their head around and looks at right at 7YO.

"AAAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPP," it barks out, then plops back down to nap.

"See? I told you I could speak sea lion."

Now 7YO just accepts it as fact they had a conversation with a sea lion.

Kid Logic.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #550
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
7YO has always talked to/played with their collection of stuffed animals. Turtles/cats/stingrays/sea lions etc..

At the Vancouver Aquarium, we're over by the sea lions. They're lazing around napping in the sun, facing away from us.

7YO goes, "Watch this, I can speak sea lion."
"Uhuh, of course you can."

7YO goes up to the railing closest to the sea lions and in a loud voice goes, "Hey Sea Lion, AAARRRRPPPPPP!!!"

One of the sea lions cracks their eyes open, turns their head around and looks at right at 7YO.

"AAAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPP," it barks out, then plops back down to nap.

"See? I told you I could speak sea lion."

Now 7YO just accepts it as fact they had a conversation with a sea lion.

Kid Logic.
You need to give them a chance to speak whale then.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: