REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 11-02-2022, 02:17 PM   #651
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Following up as we're back from our trip.

Flight there, 11 hours, boarded around 2pm local time - child is happily occupied for the first 3 hours, then got cranky and had to be lulled/hushed/held in the galley for 30 minutes to fall asleep. Once asleep slept for about 5 hours (as it is roughly her usual sleeping time). She got woken when they turned on all the lights for second meal, and was up until landing. Landed at 5pm local time, slept the 1 hour trip home, slept around 10pm local time and was up at 3am. Did not fall back asleep.

No signs of jetlag other than that, and was a very good sleep for the 3 weeks we were there. Thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in the same bed as mom and dad lol.

Flight back, 9 hours, boarded around 6pm local time - happily occupied for about 2 hours, then again had to fight to get her to sleep, but she slept for about 5 hours. Landed here around noon local time, no nap, went to sleep around 8pm and was up at 4am saying she was hungry lol. But went back down in about an hour, was up at 8am.

All in all, not too bad, and far better than what we were fearing. But I feel 2.5 years is a bad age to travel lol, they're very active/mobile but not yet fully listening, we had to chase her around crowded places, etc. So either go when they're younger or old enough to not worry about losing them or falling off a ledge or something.
Where did you guys go? 11 hour flight there and 9 back sounds like somewhere in Asia.

I figured that 2.5yr old problem stretches all the way to 4yr old. Having problems getting our 3yr old to listen and follow us.
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:58 PM   #652
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,719 Times in 1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Where did you guys go? 11 hour flight there and 9 back sounds like somewhere in Asia.

I figured that 2.5yr old problem stretches all the way to 4yr old. Having problems getting our 3yr old to listen and follow us.
We went to Korea haha.

You're probably right, but at least at 4 years old they can eat and pee/poo without worries, etc.

Still, all in all it was a good trip, we went for a variety of reasons but the biggest was that her only living great-grandparent may not be around much longer, and he's never seen her before.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #653
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I'm doing a Giveaway for a Clek Fllo, if anyone is interested you can enter here - https://gleam.io/IBJ47/jimmy-mak-clek-fllo-giveaway
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #654
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,973 Posts
For those who are having kids ... would you (assuming mostly fathers here) take some parental leave and share it with the wifey? Or, let wifey take the whole year?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #655
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
For those who are having kids ... would you (assuming mostly fathers here) take some parental leave and share it with the wifey? Or, let wifey take the whole year?
My wife took a year and a half but I saved up enough vacation days to take 2 months off to help at the beginning
Old 11-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #656

Quote:
Wife used 1.5 years, and I used 3 weeks vacation (without sharing the time with the wife).

One thing to consider with the 1 year vs 1.5 year maternal EI thing, is that the same $ is divided over 1 year, or 1.5 years. BUT, if your wife has to return to work earlier for whatever reason, the remainder is forfeit. So for us, just because we had that possibility, we told the wife's work we're taking 1.5 years off, but only got EI for the first year. Those last 6 months were rough though, lol.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:38 AM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
I'm doing a Giveaway for a Clek Fllo, if anyone is interested you can enter here - https://gleam.io/IBJ47/jimmy-mak-clek-fllo-giveaway
I need a new seat, so this is perfect!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #658

Quote:
You can take time off now without taking away from the wife.

If wife takes 12 months, you can get 6 weeks (1 week waiting + 5 weeks EI)
If wife takes 18 months, you can get 9 weeks (1 week waiting + 8 weeks EI)

I did the 9 weeks with the first one. It was great.
I was originally planning to take 6 weeks for the baby coming in Jan. But I just got laid off so I don't think it'll be great for me to start a new job and be like adios for 6 weeks. That's if I start a new job by the time baby is here.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #659
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Quote:

I was originally planning to take 6 weeks for the baby coming in Jan. But I just got laid off so I don't think it'll be great for me to start a new job and be like adios for 6 weeks. That's if I start a new job by the time baby is here.
First child my wife took the first 10 and I took the last 2. Best thing ever! Regardless I highly recommend taking some time as a dad solo there's nothing like that experience.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #660
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:

Tech layoff? I was laid off in August and am starting up my new gig on Monday.

Fingers crossed that you get a job where they're flexible with this. When my first was coming I accepted an offer and gave the company the option to wait till I was done with parental leave or that I was going to disappear for a month a few weeks after I started. They were cool with the latter so come my 4th week the baby shows up and "adios!" - they even paid me for that month off at full pay.

If I had a second I'd take 2 months off at the beginning and then I'd take another month once my wife was back to work. The very beginning is just kinda crazy and I'd want a month of being a stay at home dad.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Tech layoff? I was laid off in August and am starting up my new gig on Monday.

Fingers crossed that you get a job where they're flexible with this. When my first was coming I accepted an offer and gave the company the option to wait till I was done with parental leave or that I was going to disappear for a month a few weeks after I started. They were cool with the latter so come my 4th week the baby shows up and "adios!" - they even paid me for that month off at full pay.

If I had a second I'd take 2 months off at the beginning and then I'd take another month once my wife was back to work. The very beginning is just kinda crazy and I'd want a month of being a stay at home dad.
Yeah tech. Been a bad year for layoffs, but still lots of places hiring.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2022, 08:29 AM   #662
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
I believe the government also encourages co parenting. So they let the other parent(mainly the father) take an additional 4-5 weeks paid parental leave that
the mother cant take. edit* EvoFire already mentioned this.

I highly encourage it, its an awesome experience and eye opener. But it seems like its harder for dads to take that type of time off from their jobs. Also if your living pay cheque to paycheque, ur bringing in alot less money if ur the bread winner aswell.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #663
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:

My wife is taking 18 months, but I just took a new job that starts in 2 weeks and the baby is due in December. I already told my work I have a baby coming, but not sure how much time I can really take off being a new staff...

Ironically, the position was open because they needed more help since a girl is about to go on mat leave. lol
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:55 PM   #664
private modder

Thanked 2,693 Times in 752 Posts
So I went and test fit a few car seats in the CX-5 and man, pretty much nothing is ideal for rear facing mode behind the front passenger, but still allowing enough legroom for a front passenger.

My wife was really into the Cybex Sirona S because it rotates and from what I could see, it's fairly compact and comparable to the Nuna Rava when installed. So we may actually go with that one instead of the Nuna. The one that seems to be the most compact is the Uppababy Knox but I hate that tether. So long story short we're still deciding.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:23 AM   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
So I went and test fit a few car seats in the CX-5 and man, pretty much nothing is ideal for rear facing mode behind the front passenger, but still allowing enough legroom for a front passenger.

My wife was really into the Cybex Sirona S because it rotates and from what I could see, it's fairly compact and comparable to the Nuna Rava when installed. So we may actually go with that one instead of the Nuna. The one that seems to be the most compact is the Uppababy Knox but I hate that tether. So long story short we're still deciding.
If a rotating seat is what you want, this is a cheaper alternative that is currently on sale. I think you just have to install the base once and it rotates to both FF and RF positions.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/evenflo...er=CAqD7bLWUPI

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:47 AM   #666
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
If a rotating seat is what you want, this is a cheaper alternative that is currently on sale. I think you just have to install the base once and it rotates to both FF and RF positions.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/evenflo...er=CAqD7bLWUPI
There's basically no way that evenflo will fit in the CX5
Old 11-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #667
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
There's basically no way that evenflo will fit in the CX5
U sure? Im just going by rear Leg room specs online. I have evenflo seats(1" longer than Revolve360) in my truck and it has 33.5" leg room, it was tight for me cause im 5'8" but my wife is 5ft so no issues for her. But in her rav4 she had 37.2" of leg room and no issues at all for both of us. And im not sure about what year CX5 EFF-1 has but apparently it has even more legroom than the Rav4, 39.6"
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
U sure? Im just going by rear Leg room specs online. I have evenflo seats(1" longer than Revolve360) in my truck and it has 33.5" leg room, it was tight for me cause im 5'8" but my wife is 5ft so no issues for her. But in her rav4 she had 37.2" of leg room and no issues at all for both of us. And im not sure about what year CX5 EFF-1 has but apparently it has even more legroom than the Rav4, 39.6"
Numbers mean diddly-squat, the rear passenger can have 40" of legroom, but it doesn't mean anything if the front passenger has to sit with their kneecaps in the glovebox with the seat angled at 70 degrees.

The CX5 really isn't a big car.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #669
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,942 Posts
Short of trying it out in person it seems hard to guess what vehicles will and won't fit them well. My wifes 2005 Matrix fit car seats much better than my 2007 Grand Cherokee did.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #670
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Numbers mean diddly-squat, the rear passenger can have 40" of legroom, but it doesn't mean anything if the front passenger has to sit with their kneecaps in the glovebox with the seat angled at 70 degrees.

The CX5 really isn't a big car.
^ This.

A lot of those 360 seats pushes the base towards the front of the vehicle then you got the tilt it means there's minimal space.

The CX-5 is tight, similar to the Rav4 it can barely fit a normal RF seat.
Here's a Foonf at the right recline in the CX-5.

and this was how much space in front

It's hard to see but that's tight.

a CX-50 is better
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 08:55 PM   #671

Does anyone have any leads on children's tylenol/advil? Kid has had a fever for a few days, but today is spiked up to 39. Have about half a bottle of advil left.

Also, an interesting read for parents:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...t-3-times-more
Old 11-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #672
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,577 Posts
https://globalnews.ca/news/9269426/c...ortage-canada/

Quote:
Barry Power, a pharmacist and editor-in-chief of the Canadian Pharmacists Association, says parents can give children adult Advil and Tylenol, but it’s important to ensure the proper dose is administered.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #673

Quote:
Does anyone have any leads on children's tylenol/advil? Kid has had a fever for a few days, but today is spiked up to 39. Have about half a bottle of advil left.

Also, an interesting read for parents:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...t-3-times-more
I have an extra unopened children's tynenol if you need it, we bought a 3 pack and we just started the 2nd bottle last month.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #674

Quote:
I have an extra unopened children's tynenol if you need it, we bought a 3 pack and we just started the 2nd bottle last month.
Genuine thanks, but I think we can get over this sickness with what we have. I've ordered some from US Costco, will pick up sometime this week.

If anyone else does end up needing some, let EvoFire or myself know.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #675

Quote:
Genuine thanks, but I think we can get over this sickness with what we have. I've ordered some from US Costco, will pick up sometime this week.

If anyone else does end up needing some, let EvoFire or myself know.
Let me know whenever you need it. I'm single and ready to mingle (unemployed )