REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 04-30-2023, 07:22 PM   #876
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,837 Times in 3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Suggestions for a birthday gift for a 1 year old girl?
Yeah hard to say. Can’t go wrong with books that are meaningful or classic. 1 year olds love being read to and cuddling before bed
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2023, 11:08 AM   #877
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,719 Times in 1,631 Posts
Quote:
I probably wasn't very helpful, so here's a bit more.

My sister gave our 1 year old this on her birthday (or similar), and it was very well used, for about 2 months lol

https://www.amazon.ca/VTech-Magic-St...00Y53UVIO?th=1

The problem is for shopping for kids that age is
1. They may already have something very similar
2. The parents may not like it if it's super noisy (even more so if they have another baby on the way or something)

Books are definitely good but depending on your relationship with the kid/family may not be "gifty" enough.

Clothes are a no-go because if the mom doesn't like them she'll never wear them.

Cash or gift cards work as well.

We made a bank account to keep all the birthday/christmas/new years money she gets and now the 3 year old has more disposable money than I do, lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #878
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
I read a lot with my kids when they were young. This one's easily in their top 5.
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...9835-item.html

The one I bought over a decade ago was in a very nice box. Assuming it's still packaged in a similar manner, it's perfect for gift giving.

Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #879
private modder

Thanked 2,692 Times in 751 Posts
We have a one year old who just had a birthday. We said no gifts please, because honestly we have everything and he needs nothing. But still some people showed up with gifts kindly. Most of the gifts we received were toy cars and trucks (which he loves), a toy set of golf clubs (too old for him still), Jelly cat, A walker from Ikea, few books, a puzzle where the pieces are large and easy to grab and spell his name, a small balance bike (we already had one though), and then a few people gave cash.

personally I'd suggest the puzzle that spells her name (if you can find out who made that, probably online somewhere), the Ikea walker, the jelly cat, or a GC to west coast kids. or you can give books as well, but I find kids usually already have a lot of books.

edit --- only give the ikea walker if the parents have space for it. we live in a condo so when someone gives us a large gift, we appreciate it but it's also a hassle because we don't have space for stuff like that.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #880
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

FYI for parents who uses costco infant formula, the price has just gone up to $37.99
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #881

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,022 Posts
Quote:
How much do you like the parents and do you have a dark sense of humour?

https://www.amazon.ca/Drum-Set-Kids/...m+Set+for+Kids

My parents are the worst gift givers for their grandkids - they always buy the noisiest shit for them.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:25 PM   #882
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,715 Posts
Sigh... my almost 5 month old refuses to sleep peacefully unless he's being held.
No matter how deep he's in of a sleep, as soon as his ass or head touches a bed mattress without us still holding him, WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAH

Might as well put his crib up on fb market. Only used like twice...
he just outgrew his bassinet, but it wasn't any better with the bassinet either.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:43 PM   #883
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,160 Posts
Just ditch him in the crib awake and sleep train?

I have no idea what I am talking about because older one just slept. The younger one is 4 months tmr and I'm not quite at your stage yet. We did just move her to the crib in her room at night. She never really liked the bassinet and seems to sleep a bit better in the crib. She's a mover while sleeping and the bassinet was just too confining.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #884
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,420 Times in 2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Sigh... my almost 5 month old refuses to sleep peacefully unless he's being held.
No matter how deep he's in of a sleep, as soon as his ass or head touches a bed mattress without us still holding him, WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAH
I'm one of those parents that will tell you to treasure this time because pretty soon, you wouldn't be able to hold him in your arms like you can now.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #885

Quote:

he just outgrew his bassinet, but it wasn't any better with the bassinet either.
Hang in there, you're not alone. While it didn't happen to me I know quite a few who had babies like that. Mine used to wake every 2-2.5 hours, we eventually sleep trained but she regressed and my wife and I now take turns sleeping in her room with her now (just turned 4). In the past year and a half my wife and I have slept in the same bed just once.

My neighbour has a 9 year old who still sleeps with mom most nights. My fingers are crossed that I'm still not sleeping with my kid when she's 9.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:01 PM   #886
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,193 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
How much do you like the parents and do you have a dark sense of humour?

https://www.amazon.ca/Drum-Set-Kids/...m+Set+for+Kids

My parents are the worst gift givers for their grandkids - they always buy the noisiest shit for them.
My in laws did that one Xmas. We pulled the reverse uno card on them.
"That's great! The kids always complain they don't have enough toys here at your place to keep themselves entertained! Isn't that great kids?"
Kids: "Yay! More toys here!"
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 08:27 AM   #887

Thanked 6,719 Times in 1,631 Posts
Quote:

You can start sleep training - what you do now will significantly impact your life later, as evidenced by others here lol.

That said, instead of holding him to lull him to sleep, try putting him down in the crib and patting him to sleep. If that doesn't work try spending ridiculously long times to 'shift' him from holding him into lying down in the bed. I'm talking like 10 minutes to move him off your shoulder, horizontal, then lying down. All while making shh shh sounds and whatnot. Don't make eye contact whatsoever though.

Other than that, just bite the bullet and sleep train. Ours took about 3 weeks at 5~6m but the 3 weeks of pain will pay off in multiples. Until the next sleep regression/sickness :P
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #888

If and when you're ready for sleep training I can recommend our sleep coach: https://amandaarchibald.themamacoach.com

We had tried to do it ourselves by reading books and watching YT but failed twice before we call Amanda. She was really great to work with and b/c she's a RN my wife felt much more comfortable with what she coached us to do (b/c you're going to think you're hurting your kid).

While we have regressed since the coaching we are in a much better place than before.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2023, 08:53 PM   #889
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,420 Times in 2,575 Posts
Small dilemma -- not sure how we can best handle it, so I'd appreciate any insights you may have.

Our kid received an invite to a birthday play place thing with one of his classmates. The invite was a little odd because the mom of the other kid mentioned that there will only be 3 - 4 kids going in total. We are honestly a little perplexed by the invite because my kid generally doesn't play with the birthday kid. They sit close to each other in class; they occasionally chat in class; they do classwork together if they get assigned to the same group. My kid plays with his two besties 99% of the time during recess and stuff. The birthday kid seems to generally play with his bestie(s) as well, and probably never plays with my kid. In fact, I don't think the birthday kid plays with my kids' besties either.

So that's the thing -- I feel awkward with the invite because I honestly wasn't expecting something like that. The play place will almost certainly cost money for the birthday mom -- she mentioned in the invite that it would be their treat, and that kind of makes me feel bad also. At the same time, if it was gonna be a small party, it would suck for the birthday kid to not have very many friends attend.

So I am in a bid of a bind here. We'd obviously need to RSVP, but I am not sure how we can best handle this.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Small dilemma -- not sure how we can best handle it, so I'd appreciate any insights you may have.

Our kid received an invite to a birthday play place thing with one of his classmates. The invite was a little odd because the mom of the other kid mentioned that there will only be 3 - 4 kids going in total. We are honestly a little perplexed by the invite because my kid generally doesn't play with the birthday kid. They sit close to each other in class; they occasionally chat in class; they do classwork together if they get assigned to the same group. My kid plays with his two besties 99% of the time during recess and stuff. The birthday kid seems to generally play with his bestie(s) as well, and probably never plays with my kid. In fact, I don't think the birthday kid plays with my kids' besties either.

So that's the thing -- I feel awkward with the invite because I honestly wasn't expecting something like that. The play place will almost certainly cost money for the birthday mom -- she mentioned in the invite that it would be their treat, and that kind of makes me feel bad also. At the same time, if it was gonna be a small party, it would suck for the birthday kid to not have very many friends attend.

So I am in a bid of a bind here. We'd obviously need to RSVP, but I am not sure how we can best handle this.
Do you think the mom is the one who picked which kid to invite or do you think the kid asked for your kid? If the latter then definitely go.

And is your kid the type that gets along with everyone so he'd play with this kid if that's what was around him? If yes then go.

If the mom picked AND your kid doesn't play well with non-besties then I'd probably politely decline - send a gift but claim a pre-existing event.

I don't recall how old your kid is but what does he think?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2023, 06:29 AM   #891

Relevant I guess:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9689597/b...irthday-party/

Quote:
A young boy whose birthday party made the news for the wrong reasons last year is now getting a birthday party to remember this year.

David Chen, a dad of four, told Global News last year that they wanted to throw a party for his son Max, who has autism, on his sixth birthday.

He said they wanted to have an all-class party so they picked a venue and sent out invitations.

“Unfortunately, we got one person that said yes, two people that said no and 16 that didn’t say anything,” Chen said. “It was kind of an empty feeling.”

Chen didn’t want to blame anyone for what happened but this year Max is going to have a birthday to remember.
For what it's worth, last weekend I took my 4 year old to a birthday party - she only knew the birthday girl (I'm friends with her dad and we've had a few playdates) and I was bit concerned when I saw that all the other kids were older and were only boys. Turned out it didn't matter at all, after 30 mins she had warmed up to all the new kids and it didn't matter that she didn't know their names. She had a blast.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2023, 10:28 AM   #892
private modder

Thanked 2,692 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
At the same time, if it was gonna be a small party, it would suck for the birthday kid to not have very many friends attend.
To me this is all that matters. So i'd go, if only to avoid the possibility of that happening.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2023, 12:21 PM   #893

I would go. Kids need to learn to play with everybody.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #894

Funny enough my wife and I just had a similar conversation.

Daughter was invited to a party that's not within her core group of friends. Though we did try to pair them up a few years back it just never happened. But the parents are decent people and they're always around (pick ups, school related activities, fundraisers etc.). She figured it was worth it just to keep up with appearances and to get an extra set of eyes around the school; since we're 9-to-5ers. Have to admit, she's right.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2023, 12:22 PM   #895

Anyone know where I can buy a large bouncy castle that's pretty good quality? I see stuff on Amazon but it's mostly smaller sized one or ones that look flimsy. I figure instead of renting one I might as well buy one as I have the space to store it.
Old 05-15-2023, 12:54 PM   #896

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,160 Posts
To supafamous's house for bouncy castle every weekend!
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #897

Quote:
Anyone know where I can buy a large bouncy castle that's pretty good quality? I see stuff on Amazon but it's mostly smaller sized one or ones that look flimsy. I figure instead of renting one I might as well buy one as I have the space to store it.
Aliexpress

My cousin has one. It is 2 storey high. took few strong men to pack that thing back to storage.

Best one are ship direct from China.
Quality is Top notch compare to those Walmart craps.

Last edited by Bender Unit; 05-15-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Bender Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #898

Quote:
I figure instead of renting one I might as well buy one as I have the space to store it.
You're likely paying more for the setup + takedown rather than the inflatable itself.

Besides, junk builds up. I'd rent it unless you plan on making this your side gig.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:14 PM   #899

Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,562 Posts
Posting for friend, it's their first child. (cue my quarter life crisis sigh)

People with Tesla Model 3, what do you use for baby monitoring? Have you gotten a car baby video monitor or have you tried mirror? They would prefer video but they don't know what set up is better.

Onco Baby Car Mirror Rear-facing - Platinum Award Winning Car Mirror Baby Rear Facing Seat, Baby Essentials for Newborn, 100% Shatterproof Baby Mirror for Car, 360 degree Car Seat Mirror Rear Facing Infant https://a.co/d/1Nfv5WW

Zacro 1080P Baby Car Camera for Rear Facing Seat -170° Wide Angle Baby Car Mirror with Video Record & HD Night Vision Monitor, Support Front & Rear Dash Cam https://a.co/d/13jSpm6
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:39 PM   #900

wow, just have one parent sit in the back seat then.

And when driving alone, don't, if you're that scared.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: