REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 07-18-2024, 06:22 AM   #1251
RabidMod

Thanked 1,322 Times in 475 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
Same with my MIL. I had to tell her, "Do you want them hurt or worse if you keep it too loose?"
"But he doesn't liiike itttt!!"

Fuuuuuuu
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2024, 08:54 AM   #1252
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
"well I didn't like Chinese school, but you still made me go! So tighten it up!
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2024, 05:03 PM   #1253
RabidMod

^ Yeah what gives!!
Old 07-18-2024, 11:06 PM   #1254
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,535 Times in 575 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
"well I didn't like Chinese school, but you still made me go! So tighten it up!
One of my biggest regrets was not staying in Cantonese school.

Learned basic Toisanese with my grandma, parents speak English and don't watch TVB.

Teach your kids, converse with them in your 2nd language.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023 (sold)

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT) (sold)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020 (sold)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 11:32 PM   #1255
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,232 Times in 423 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Me: dad, can you speak to the kids in canto more, don't let them get away with replying in english? they're not using their canto enough.
Dad: Eh, why does it matter if they can speak it? I'll be dead and they'll probably marry white anyways.
Me: #$@%. WTF Dad.... <flashbacks of feather duster beatings for poor Chinese school marks>
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2024, 04:43 AM   #1256
RabidMod

Lol the beatings.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:41 PM   #1257
RabidMod

Hmm. The kiddo at 15 months isn't understanding words yet, let alone talking.

He says ma ma a lot but he says it indiscriminately, and says it at basically everyone including me lol.

Pediatrician says to see if anything changes in the next couple weeks otherwise they'll have to take steps to check up & intervene.

Hope it's not something serious :/.

At least he's running around and climbing and going up stairs ok!
Old 07-31-2024, 09:40 PM   #1258
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,292 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 31 Posts
It usually comes in large chunks. 15 months is a little bit late but not out of the norm I think, unless the family has history of speech issues. I wonder if some of his non-descript "words" are mistaken as just baby talk by you. My eldest used random sounds for certain things that I had no idea how it came to be, but once you started hearing it repeatedly you realize he means something with it.

it-deh meant the colour orange, and the stroller, and also the lit reindeer at a house nearby. Snung meant snacks. Nh-hnn meant raisins. It wasn't until he was 2 before most of the made up words went away. He's almost 5 and occasional still does some weird shit with words, he would say water bottle and completely omit the t's, so it sounds like wal bal
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2024, 05:48 AM   #1259
RabidMod

Comes in large chunks, as in what they're suddenly able to do, you mean?
Old 08-01-2024, 06:51 AM   #1260

Yeah that's what I mean. My daughter just recently started compounding words together, she's 19months. Everything suddenly consists of two words. Words came in bursts for both kids.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2024, 12:19 PM   #1261
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Hmm. The kiddo at 15 months isn't understanding words yet, let alone talking.

He says ma ma a lot but he says it indiscriminately, and says it at basically everyone including me lol.

Pediatrician says to see if anything changes in the next couple weeks otherwise they'll have to take steps to check up & intervene.

Hope it's not something serious :/.

At least he's running around and climbing and going up stairs ok!
This sounds stressful, and I'm no expert, but how did you conclude he's not understanding words?

There was a Korean tv show years ago that was like a daily-life documentary of celebrity dads with their kids (without mom), and there were twins there where one visibly had slower speech development than his twin brother. They're both fine now though, lol - just remember each kid is different.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:22 PM   #1262

Any of you have experience flying AC with an under 2 infant, and buying them a seat? It says "mandatory" car seat/harness, but there's so many horror stories and it's subjective to ground crew and flight crew on that particular flight.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:24 PM   #1263
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
This sounds stressful, and I'm no expert, but how did you conclude he's not understanding words?

There was a Korean tv show years ago that was like a daily-life documentary of celebrity dads with their kids (without mom), and there were twins there where one visibly had slower speech development than his twin brother. They're both fine now though, lol - just remember each kid is different.
Because he doesn't react to any words in a way that shows the concept is linked in his mind.

E.g. when I say "hey! where's mama?!", even repeatedly, he doesn't look for her or anything. He lights up and smiles and runs towards her when he realizes she was actually behind the corner though.

Or when I say "ball!" or "milk milk!". No reaction. Other than to turn towards me to see where all the commotion is coming from. And he definitely smiles and gets excited when I bring him the ball though, and frantically runs and whines for the milk when he sees it out of the corner of his eye.

I don't thiiiink it's hearing related because I've tried saying it slowly and clearly right next to his ear when I'm holding him, and same results.

Just hoping for the best. Poor kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Any of you have experience flying AC with an under 2 infant, and buying them a seat? It says "mandatory" car seat/harness, but there's so many horror stories and it's subjective to ground crew and flight crew on that particular flight.
Yep, our guy was 12 months old when we flew from SFO to YYZ. We bought him a seat. We installed our Mesa Max car seat but in the end he didn't like spending whole lot of time in it. I mostly held him, and only had him in there for the takeoff and landing really. Didn't realize it was actually mandatory. Always thought it was up to you.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:25 PM   #1264
RabidMod

In other news, we're expecting our 2nd at the end of the year!
Old 08-02-2024, 10:33 PM   #1265
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
In other news, we're expecting our 2nd at the end of the year!
Congrats! That was fast - looks like your kids will be a bit less than 2 years apart.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2024, 10:54 PM   #1266
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
I don't thiiiink it's hearing related because I've tried saying it slowly and clearly right next to his ear when I'm holding him, and same results.
Has any hearing tests been done for your child?

When my kid was born in a local hospital here in Vancouver, the nurses briefly took him away to perform a hearing test, and this happened on the very first day when he was born. I seem to think we had the option to not take the test, but it was part of the standard list of stuff that the hospital did to check on a newborn.

And congrats on #2!
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2024, 08:36 AM   #1267
RabidMod

Yeah they did a hearing test at the hospital when he was born and he seemed to be ok.

The pediatrician said last week they'd probably want to do more detailed tests as next steps.

On a side note, I thought it was kind of interesting how in the US they bent over backwards to ensure the baby never left our sight no matter what. Carted in all kinds of equipment to do stuff in the room. But it seems like in Canada no such Fs are given. I bet it's a private healthcare thing where they're afraid of being sued to oblivion lol.

Last edited by RabidRat; 08-03-2024 at 08:42 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 10:38 AM   #1268

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Earwax build up?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2024, 11:51 AM   #1269

Quote:
Because he doesn't react to any words in a way that shows the concept is linked in his mind.

E.g. when I say "hey! where's mama?!", even repeatedly, he doesn't look for her or anything. He lights up and smiles and runs towards her when he realizes she was actually behind the corner though.

Or when I say "ball!" or "milk milk!". No reaction. Other than to turn towards me to see where all the commotion is coming from. And he definitely smiles and gets excited when I bring him the ball though, and frantically runs and whines for the milk when he sees it out of the corner of his eye.

Just hoping for the best. Poor kid.

Yep, our guy was 12 months old when we flew from SFO to YYZ. We bought him a seat. We installed our Mesa Max car seat but in the end he didn't like spending whole lot of time in it. I mostly held him, and only had him in there for the takeoff and landing really. Didn't realize it was actually mandatory. Always thought it was up to you.
We gave up on the seat thing and just booked her on as a lap baby. Friend said they did it with theirs and it's fine. Our little one is going to be the very definition of a flight terror baby as she's extra loud and she makes it known when she's not happy. We should have the whole row to ourselves but lol sorry to those in front or behind us.

As much as I say kids grow at different paces, it doesn't hurt to get the process started. Things take so long to move along that by the time there really is a problem it'll be late.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2024, 06:36 AM   #1270
RabidMod

The other day I was behind my kid and said "tum tum jeun!" and he turned around, grinned, lifted his arm up, and twirled around lol. He's since done this a couple more times and doesn't do any other action at these words.

And in the last few days we've been very careful not to have anyone respond to "mama" other than my wife, and me when he says "dah-dee." This seems to have made him a little more consistent: it's not completely indiscriminately random now lol.

So I guess he has at least some ability to hear and connect words to concepts, and to articulate through his own words. Hopefully it means the wiring is in there lol. We just need to be consistent and deliberate to help him make the connections.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:42 AM   #1271

I told my wife, if it was up to my, our kids would be mute. I don't communicate well, especially to beings that don't respond. Babies fall under the don't respond category and I'll just do things and not talk to them and they would never pick up the communication cues.

Sometimes I wish my older would just stop talking......
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #1272

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
For those with kids in elementary school what kinds of foods do you find are great for their snacks and lunches? My kid goes to Kindergarten in Sept and it'll be the first time that I'm having to pack that stuff for her (my daycare provided it before). What are some obvious rules that I need to know about? (eg. my daycare allowed peanut products in the school - do regular schools allow it?)
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2024, 09:30 AM   #1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
For those with kids in elementary school what kinds of foods do you find are great for their snacks and lunches? My kid goes to Kindergarten in Sept and it'll be the first time that I'm having to pack that stuff for her (my daycare provided it before). What are some obvious rules that I need to know about? (eg. my daycare allowed peanut products in the school - do regular schools allow it?)
Our eldest is going to Kindergarten too in Sept. We are gonna just send him off with Maxim's bread everyday for lunch

He's such a picky eater so we'll let him go pick his bread. At the first daycare we had to pack him lunch and he ended up not eating half of it everyday anyways.

For snacks we'll probably do a mix of cheerios, aussie bites (costco), or other finger foods and easy fruits like grapes, blueberries, etc.
Old 08-07-2024, 12:27 PM   #1274
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
For lunch, we do anything that ranges from dinner leftovers (in a tiny thermos), small pizza slice / pizza pop, to small sandwiches. Dinner leftovers are usually his least favourite, so most of the time he won't finish it all unless he is really hungry. When we are really desperate, we would just boil a few pork dumplings and throw it into the thermos.

For snacks, we do a mixture of fresh fruits and crackers.

I'm pretty sure our school is suppose to be a nut-free zone, so no nuts / peanuts in any of the meals.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2024, 10:55 AM   #1275

Failed 41 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
They will bring the whole pack of lunch back every freaking day.
100% guarantee untouched
Spend all the time in the playground instead of eating.