REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-31-2023, 04:38 PM   #301
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Anyone know?
I want to just chisel the spots to move the hinges and not have to buy new door and jambs.
Try calling a door company and asking them. If you call Westcoast Moulding in Surrey, they stock door jamb material and have people in house that should be able to answer your questions. Ask for David Cushenan in the door department when you call.
Advertisement
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:00 AM   #302
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,552 Times in 5,758 Posts
Have you ever done anything like that before? Using a chisel to chisel out your hinge points is pretty tough and if you hasn’t done it before odds are you’re going to either go too deep or chip the frame away

If it’s just an average interior hollow core door personally I’d probably just buy a new pre hung. I’ve got a lot of experience with this type of thing and I’d be pretty hesitant to do it. If I was going to I’d definitely be looking into buying a jig or renting some sort machine which cuts those grooves out for the hinges as opposed to trying to cut it myself
Old 06-01-2023, 11:46 AM   #303

Thanked 1,243 Times in 511 Posts
I've changed out an exterior door to one with built in blinds and didn't touch the door frame. That required some work where the hinges go on the new door. I think I did pretty decent. Could have chiseled a little deeper as now it slightly scrapes on the latch edge.

I'd really like to avoid doing a pre hung because that means I need to rip apart the trim, caulking, repaint and I don't have a nail gun and shims to install a door frame.....Doing some hinge work and flipping the door slab just seems the most simple....as long as I know the door slab will still work before I start. I'd hate to do all the work only to find out that the door doesn't close properly.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #304
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,054 Times in 3,939 Posts
Can you try to physically fit the door without any hinges on to see if it'll go into the frame properly before doing anything?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:15 PM   #305
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I've changed out an exterior door to one with built in blinds and didn't touch the door frame. That required some work where the hinges go on the new door. I think I did pretty decent. Could have chiseled a little deeper as now it slightly scrapes on the latch edge.

I'd really like to avoid doing a pre hung because that means I need to rip apart the trim, caulking, repaint and I don't have a nail gun and shims to install a door frame.....Doing some hinge work and flipping the door slab just seems the most simple....as long as I know the door slab will still work before I start. I'd hate to do all the work only to find out that the door doesn't close properly.
Which direction are you thinking of flipping it? If you’re changing left swing to right swing (or vice versa) you’re basically turning the door 180°. Most interior doors have a slight taper on the latch side. So after flipping the door, visually you’ll see a larger gap on the latch side when the door is closed, and you might find that the taper now rubs on the door frame, but that can be easily resolved by taking a 16th or so off with a belt sander or similar

Or you could flip it vertically and the taper wouldn’t be a concern, but now the door knob will be incorrect height. Unless it is smack in the halfway.

Last edited by coneZONE; 06-05-2023 at 09:25 PM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:45 AM   #306
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,021 Posts
anybody here upgrade the flooring in their garage?
when i was house hunting i saw a few that impressed me, one was just rubber tiles, another was an epoxy coating with paint chips in it that looked pretty cool.
just curious if anyones gone through the process of either diy'ing it or hiring it out, or just laid down tiles. just to make the garage look a lot cleaner since most old garages are all oil stained or cracked.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:54 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
anybody here upgrade the flooring in their garage?
when i was house hunting i saw a few that impressed me, one was just rubber tiles, another was an epoxy coating with paint chips in it that looked pretty cool.
just curious if anyones gone through the process of either diy'ing it or hiring it out, or just laid down tiles. just to make the garage look a lot cleaner since most old garages are all oil stained or cracked.
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7170...endations.html
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2023, 06:02 PM   #308

Changing door swing was a success!!!

This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2023, 08:13 AM   #309

Quote:
Changing door swing was a success!!!

Why only two hinges? Even on 6'8" doors, they normally have 3.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:25 PM   #310

Different standards 20 years ago? I dunno.
Old 07-04-2023, 08:32 AM   #311
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,361 Times in 2,468 Posts
Anybody got a hookup on a relatively small quantity of river rock that will also deliver? Need about 0.5 cubic yards.

Started a few projects over the long weekend, dug up a border with the intention to put in river rock surrounding my patio:

And then my father in law started a project that we've been wanting to do in our master closet, to open it up to the bedroom and close off the door from the bathroom. That way my wife can get her clothes while I'm taking a shit:

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 07-04-2023 at 12:41 PM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #312

What's the plan for the light switch location?
Old 07-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #313

Quote:
What's the plan for the light switch location?
Haha I just had that thought this morning.

Can easily be relocated to the outside bedroom wall since we have attic access.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 07-04-2023, 03:13 PM   #314

Have any of you guys installed vinyl plank the opposite way you're supposed to? I started putting the last of the baseboards back on in my basement and noticed there's a gap near one end, between the 7th and 8th rows from the wall I started at. Redoing 7 rows that are already cut would be quick but I'm worried that after I get it out I might not be able to lay it back down going the wrong way.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 07-04-2023, 04:12 PM   #315

Looks easy. My laminate is pretty rigid and installing backwards was a lot more tedious.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2023, 09:18 AM   #316

I ended up being pretty painless to put back, the only hassle was the final row against the wall, I think because originally it was so tight. I ended up cutting the end piece shorter and using tape to hold the seams as I went along and it was good to go.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #317

Show us your stair patterned layout so we can judge your lack of randomness.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:51 AM   #318

Oh my patterning is definitely shit, and I have mistakes like this because I didn't notice how the manufacturer reused parts of the design

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #319

Anybody have advice on choosing bathroom faucet fixtures?

I know for showers you definitely want to choose something solid since it'll be roughed into the wall, but for faucets, does going by brand or spending extra for nicer stuff make that much of a difference?

Like as long as it's UPC and NSF certified and not shady unbranded Alibaba crap.

There's a faucet we like from https://www.vigoindustries.com/ which seems like a pretty legit brand despite being made in China, but even a lot of other well known brands also import their stuff from China.

The designers helping us with the bathroom are recommending a local brand called Pearl, as well as another one called Riobel. Both also seem to be made in China.

Tbh price of the Vigo looks to be close to the other stuff we just like the style, so it's not like it's a pure money savings decision to cheap out on it. Just not sure if it's overpriced for what it is.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 07-10-2023, 10:03 PM   #320
in the butt

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,237 Posts
Cheap stuff = you throw away the entire thing when it breaks (home Depot)
More expensive stuff = you can usually rebuild it with a cheap part (emco / BA / wolsley )

Otherwise personal preference, I stick with the cheap stuff that still looks good. You never know if your buying a middle man product that simply has 200% markup over the next one over direct from china

I prefer to spend money on other parts of the house, or better yet, car parts....

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:04 PM   #321

In my own experience going through renos and picking my own fixtures. It's all expensive and larger brand name items have been pretty good.

This is my bathroom faucet, chose it based strictly on design. It's originally matte black, but the base has shiny black parts. It wasn't like that when I bought it, but after about 2 years of use, it looks like that. I also have an issue with the ball valve. I lift up the lever to turn on the water and swing it left and right for hot/cold, well when i lift it up, it falls downs a little. That happened over time. I have double sinks, so after it started to fall down, i used started to use the second sink. The second sink still stays up strong so perhaps it was just the 1 faucet? I think it's the house brand or something, but I bought it from GR Marine at Big Bend.

This is my hand towel rack from Amazon. The matte black finish is peeling off.

My Delta kitchen faucet still has a uniform matte black finish, nothing like the issues you see above. Also Delta was really good with replacing a missing mixing valve for one of my shower fixtures. They sent it to me for free. Just a phone call to do it, didn't need to show any proof of purchase.

To take it one step further, my matte black handles for cabinets. They're richelieu and the finish is scratched off pretty easily. I haven't scratched off large chunks, but the lines so far look like stainless steel underneath the matte black finish
Old 07-11-2023, 07:39 AM   #322
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
Why only two hinges? Even on 6'8" doors, they normally have 3.
cause those doors are basically made of hollow cardboard and only weight a few pounds

Even new built house have only 2 hinges for interior door unless you have upgraded doors
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:50 AM   #323

Quote:
In my own experience going through renos and picking my own fixtures. It's all expensive and larger brand name items have been pretty good.

This is my bathroom faucet, chose it based strictly on design. It's originally matte black, but the base has shiny black parts. It wasn't like that when I bought it, but after about 2 years of use, it looks like that. I also have an issue with the ball valve. I lift up the lever to turn on the water and swing it left and right for hot/cold, well when i lift it up, it falls downs a little. That happened over time. I have double sinks, so after it started to fall down, i used started to use the second sink. The second sink still stays up strong so perhaps it was just the 1 faucet? I think it's the house brand or something, but I bought it from GR Marine at Big Bend.

This is my hand towel rack from Amazon. The matte black finish is peeling off.

My Delta kitchen faucet still has a uniform matte black finish, nothing like the issues you see above. Also Delta was really good with replacing a missing mixing valve for one of my shower fixtures. They sent it to me for free. Just a phone call to do it, didn't need to show any proof of purchase.

To take it one step further, my matte black handles for cabinets. They're richelieu and the finish is scratched off pretty easily. I haven't scratched off large chunks, but the lines so far look like stainless steel underneath the matte black finish
I have similar experience with my bath faucet.

I went with a more expensive brand (Hansgrohe) on my shower faucet which been working fine for 5+ years of daily use.

I got a cheap no name import for my bath faucet...initially I was amazed at how well it worked and looked at less than 1/3 the price of the name brand stuffs...but last year the chrome coating started flaking off from the corners...and i can see the bare iron/brass inside on the handle now...
The branded shower faucets still looks perfectly fine and the shower faucet had 10x more use than the bath faucets.

Also the linear drain I got from amazon for cheap keeps getting these rust dots, where else the other branded one I got never had them. (The rust dots can scrub off, but still looks ugly)

the cheap ikea facuets i got for vanity is great tho...so I guess prices aren't everything.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:05 AM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Anybody have advice on choosing bathroom faucet fixtures?

I know for showers you definitely want to choose something solid since it'll be roughed into the wall, but for faucets, does going by brand or spending extra for nicer stuff make that much of a difference?

Like as long as it's UPC and NSF certified and not shady unbranded Alibaba crap.

There's a faucet we like from https://www.vigoindustries.com/ which seems like a pretty legit brand despite being made in China, but even a lot of other well known brands also import their stuff from China.

The designers helping us with the bathroom are recommending a local brand called Pearl, as well as another one called Riobel. Both also seem to be made in China.

Tbh price of the Vigo looks to be close to the other stuff we just like the style, so it's not like it's a pure money savings decision to cheap out on it. Just not sure if it's overpriced for what it is.
I got a the vigo facuets for my kitchen in 2016 (when they were $150, now they charge $500 for the same model...lol)

after around 6 years, the faucets started "leaking"... I contacted them, sent the video and receipts, and they sent me a new faucets for free... so I guess that's a good thing

also I have the stainless finish on the faucet, it never rust, fade or tarnish, BUT it looks like they put some kind of of clear coat on the stainless steel which started wearing off after 4-5 years. (Under the handle that was constantly expose to water)

Pic of the faucet & kitchen, I got it because it looks big and chunky like those commercial faucets, and only $150 at the time.
The sprayer doesn't actually work well at all.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:46 AM   #325

^I'm in the middle of planning out an island like that. I got a ton of questions.

Size of island?
Inches of overhang?
Is it all custom cabinets?
Are those cabinets in the back side? with push to open instead of handles?
Do you have a dishwasher? If so, where is it?
I don't see any gfci plugs on the island.