REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-31-2024, 01:44 PM   #401
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,412 Times in 2,571 Posts
It is quite a coincidence that you are asking just now. My brother's place has just recently finished the remediation work, and I helped him moved the final bits of furniture back down into the basement this past weekend.

After a LOT of asking around, they found a plumbing company that was willing to look into the work, and it turned out to be a *really* big mess. Their bungalow is ~60 yrs old, but we don't really know whether any renovations have been done to the any of the foundation concrete or drain pipes. As it turned out, however, the old drain pipes were all brittle and cracked, so there was definitely water seepage coming into the basement through that during heavy rain. On top, they found a crack in the foundation (on the outside, I believe) near where the drain pipe was, and they suspect that was likely allowing water to come into the basement as well.

As both a remedial and preventative measure, the plumbing company dug a trench all around my brother's bungalow, replaced the drain pipes, re-applied water sealing all around the foundation concrete, and covered everything up again. It was hugely expensive and took a long time because a lot of the work could only be done during good weather.

Based on what you said in #1, the fix that my brother had to do is likely the same "proper fix" that you mentioned. If your inside seal is working well enough, I would (naively) just leave it at that. Or potentially, if you are concerned, I wonder how viable it is to just dig up that side of the house a bit, and only re-seal the foundation around the vicinity of where the crack is found?
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2024, 05:19 PM   #402
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,152 Posts
How much did it cost to dig and reseal? I didn't get a number, but it said that I can just patch it, dig up that 3 ft where the crack is. Thing is, the crack is 1" on the inside, it might be much bigger on the outside. Though at least it runs straight up and down and not sideways.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:45 PM   #403
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,552 Times in 5,758 Posts
Fuck yea what a mess and if your house is so close to the next that it has to be all hand dug that’s $$$$