REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:38 PM   #101
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
As some kind of status symbol.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:09 PM   #102

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Would a Lamborghini or a Ferrari from the 80's be considered a luxury car? Because from what I hear the fit and finish on those cars was not great.

This is a list of all the higher end cars/SUV's my dad had bought.

Mercedes 420 SEL (that car was way ahead of it's time)
Mercedes ML 420, ML 500
BMW x35d
Porsche cayenne turbo hybrid (still owns)
Tesla Model Y
Tesla Model X He got a few weeks a go.

The X is the most expensive car he has bought. The fit and finish seem fine to me. The interior is not the best out of all the cars he has owned but that's not why he bought it. He bought it because it's the most technically advanced High end SUV you can buy. Porsche, Mercedes, Audi etc have nothing that comes close.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:47 PM   #103
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,266 Times in 4,627 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Would a Lamborghini or a Ferrari from the 80's be considered a luxury car? Because from what I hear the fit and finish on those cars was not great.
One could argue that fit and finish does not equate to luxury and should not be confused with craftsmanship. At best, 80s Lamborghinis and Ferraris should be considered "luxury performance" at best, assuming they didn't catch on fire already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #104
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Base Model 3 in Canada is $62k before rebates and taxes. Also colours are extra, lol.

Also it seems they fixed their website, about a year ago it would say

Purchase Price: $49,000*
*including fuel savings of $13000 over 6 years.

The Model S/X is a biiiit better built, but the 3 and Y and definitely cheaply made with cheap materials, with cheap fit and finish. The software is good though, I will admit as much.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #105
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Teslas are definitely not luxury cars. Do people classify them as luxury cars because of how they are priced?
It's kind of a similar debate on what's a supercar? Is it price? Is it performance? Is it status or a bit of all of that?

I don't think it's really any one thing, but the image it's trying to portray is the biggest key factor. I know a lot of realtors want to have a nice car to present themselves well when they meet clients. They at bare min try to get an Acura or something. I think a Tesla would be fine and more suitable than... say a Honda.

It's kind of dumb, but people look at this stuff. Maybe things have slowly changed because of how common they are. And people can nitpick what's a luxury brand vs a car with luxurious features.

There's obviously different levels of "luxury" and as time goes, the bar gets pushed higher and higher. I mean a BMW or Benz is not a Rolls-Royce, but I don't think you need to be RR to be considered a luxury brand.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:16 PM   #106
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,309 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Are Teslas really that expensive? I thought the whole point of them was that they were fast and pretty reliable fully electric cars, but affordable compared to the big manufacturers. Why are people buying Teslas if they're not cheap?
100k out the door for the Model Y LR AWD.

That's roughly equivalent to a Audi etron SUV.

The Audi wins hands down in terms of design, build, fit and finish, materials, ease of use, and overall luxury.
The Tesla has a better drivetrain and longer range, more power, better support for charging.

In my opinion, versatility is about equal because of the stupid sloping hatch on the Tesla, but the load floor is really high on the Audi. Most ppl don't like 400km a charge like the Tesla, and 400km isn't really enough to go anywhere in around PNW either, Europe maybe. It depends on what you are looking for at the end.

People buy them the same reason they bought the Prius. It's the factor of the badge and what it represents.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:29 AM   #107
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,190 Times in 8,386 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
100k out the door for the Model Y LR AWD.

That's roughly equivalent to a Audi etron SUV.

The Audi wins hands down in terms of design, build, fit and finish, materials, ease of use, and overall luxury.
The Tesla has a better drivetrain and longer range, more power, better support for charging.

In my opinion, versatility is about equal because of the stupid sloping hatch on the Tesla, but the load floor is really high on the Audi. Most ppl don't like 400km a charge like the Tesla, and 400km isn't really enough to go anywhere in around PNW either, Europe maybe. It depends on what you are looking for at the end.

People buy them the same reason they bought the Prius. It's the factor of the badge and what it represents.
I've been picked up by Teslas using Uber, and would never ever guess that it was a $100K car. Always felt more like a Civic or Prius or whatever, but electric. Just a car.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:25 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I've been picked up by Teslas using Uber, and would never ever guess that it was a $100K car. Always felt more like a Civic or Prius or whatever, but electric. Just a car.
That's because Tesla spends all of it's money on the tech. If you are building computer would you spend all the money on the GPU and CPU. Or would you blow your budget on RGB fans and a AIO with a screen?

Have not tried it yet but my dads model X can play any game the Vale Steam deck can pay. It also has controller support.
Old 12-31-2022, 03:26 AM   #109
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Regardless if you like Tesla or not it’s still impressive what they have done in the past decade being recognized amongst 100 year old companies. It’s hard enough to build a house these days due to red tape, I can’t imagine the bureaucracy of dealing with multiple countries safety standards and then throw self driving on top of that. A massive undertaking.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:41 AM   #110
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,190 Times in 8,386 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
That's because Tesla spends all of it's money on the tech. If you are building computer would you spend all the money on the GPU and CPU. Or would you blow your budget on RGB fans and a AIO with a screen?

Have not tried it yet but my dads model X can play any game the Vale Steam deck can pay. It also has controller support.
As long as it's going somewhere useful, good. If it's all going to the brand name then I'd be pretty turned off by it. Especially now that the brand name itself means shit because of its association with Elon.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2022, 07:27 AM   #111

If they're spending all their money on the tech why are they still doing stupid gimmicks like playing games? Why would I want to sit in my car to game?

Quote:
Those are supercars, not luxury cars. Teslas are neither.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-31-2022, 08:51 AM   #112
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,110 Times in 3,622 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:

What the actual fuck!? WHY!?!??! shoving as much bullshit into the car isnt exactly what i want.

Most car enthusiasts are trying to hold on to a more tactile and interactive experience; Tesla is literally trying to make the cars drive themselves, removing us from the experience for good.

Its not comfortable enough to be a serious GT (nor does it have the friggin legs for that matter when you have to sit at some stupid charging station for 20-30 minutes every 500-600kms)

Its not luxurious enough to rival that of a Bentley or a Rolls, or even a higher end BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Genesis/etc/etc

It doesnt have the clot to be a supercar, you arent going to score any gold diggers in your lousy tesla especially when half of them are being driven by fantuan delivery idiots.

its only meant to be a good practical city car for people who hates cars and driving in general. count me out. the car has no soul.. its an empty husk of a car much like its so called creator / ceo.

Last edited by Badhobz; 12-31-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:32 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If they're spending all their money on the tech why are they still doing stupid gimmicks like playing games? Why would I want to sit in my car to game?

Those are supercars, not luxury cars. Teslas are neither.
Ok then what about Ford era Jaguars?

Able to play steam games is a byproduct of the hardware it runs. it has an AMD proccesor and 16 gigs of ram.
playing games on the ferry, when charging, or on a hot day if your house does not have AC seems like a a great idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
What the actual fuck!? WHY!?!??! shoving as much bullshit into the car isnt exactly what i want.

Most car enthusiasts are trying to hold on to a more tactile and interactive experience; Tesla is literally trying to make the cars drive themselves, removing us from the experience for good.

Its not comfortable enough to be a serious GT (nor does it have the friggin legs for that matter when you have to sit at some stupid charging station for 20-30 minutes every 500-600kms)

Its not luxurious enough to rival that of a Bentley or a Rolls, or even a higher end BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Genesis/etc/etc

It doesnt have the clot to be a supercar, you arent going to score any gold diggers in your lousy tesla especially when half of them are being driven by fantuan delivery idiots.

its only meant to be a good practical city car for people who hates cars and driving in general. count me out. the car has no soul.. its an empty husk of a car much like its so called creator / ceo.

Bentley and Rolls Royce are old money and Tesla is new money.

If you want to talk about useless bullshit. Who needs a picnic basket, wine glasses, or umbrellas in a rear doors.

My dad says he will never buy a gas car again. He also owns a Mercedes Sl350 and Bought a brand new Pontiac Trans AM with a 6.6 litre engine in 79. Had about the same horsepower as my Civic hatch with a b18.

He does not hate cars.

My sister lives in Vancouver but works in Squamish and drives to Whistler on a regular basis. She drives a Model Y.

The internal combustion engine has maxed out there is no where for it to go. You have a 3 cylinder in the GR corolla making 30 HP and modified 4 cylinder engines making 1000 HP.

Tesla and electric cars are good for the enthusiast community. You have a lot of people in the car community that care how a car drives and just want a car that looks cool. In the future gas cars are not going to be cool. Just like vinyl was not cool when CD's and CD players became reasonably priced. Who is going to want to buy a gas guzzler when you can buy a used electric car for 20K.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:42 PM   #114

EVs work in bc because we have hydro electricity. It doesn’t work for majority of the world that already have problems powering their homes let alone their cars.

To think that this will be globally adopted is insane. It won’t happen. This is a toy for North American coastal elites. It’s basically a beta product. Why anyone would beta test for Elon is beyond me.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:49 PM   #115
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Is this 20Kfor a used electric before or after replacing the batteries or other expensive components with a limited life?

I was looking at a used Toyota Highlander Hybrid until I read more into the costs involved in replacing batteries.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:59 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Is this 20Kfor a used electric before or after replacing the batteries or other expensive components with a limited life?

I was looking at a used Toyota Highlander Hybrid until I read more into the costs involved in replacing batteries.
https://getoptiwatt.com/blog/how-lon...ry-really-last

Quote:
Battery life is one of the top concerns for both current and prospective owners of electric vehicles. Tesla is the pioneer of technology and innovation with its battery longevity ranging between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. According to an Impact Report released by Tesla in 2019, Tesla Model S and X batteries retain over 80% of their range even after driving 200,000 miles.
I don't think battery life is an issue.

I also did not know my dad with a grade 8 education who worked in mills for decades was part of the coastal elite.

Last edited by Manic!; 12-31-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #117
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,352 Times in 1,270 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
If having an education was a prerequisite for having money there would be a lot more broke asses in the world right now.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:42 PM   #118

It's a parody account but still got him good.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:06 PM   #119

Quote:
Ok then what about Ford era Jaguars?
What about them?

Quote:
Able to play steam games is a byproduct of the hardware it runs. it has an AMD proccesor and 16 gigs of ram.
Why does it need 16GB of RAM? How poorly optimized is the UI on that screen?

Quote:
playing games on the ferry, when charging, or on a hot day if your house does not have AC seems like a a great idea to me.
You could just buy a Steam Deck or Switch which work anywhere? Why would you want to have it glued to a car. If your house gets so hot that you have to go sit in your car maybe don't overpay for a fashion accessory and buy an air conditioner and a Leaf or something.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #120
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
He lays it all out pretty well

Old 12-31-2022, 04:36 PM   #121

Quote:

Most of their UI wouldn't be needed if they didn't remove all the cars buttons... lol... My car has pretty good navigation and audio UI and I don't even care, I don't use it. It's Android Auto and Apple Carplay all the way.

I can go from my G90 to an F150 and there's nothing to learn. Once you plug your phone in, AA and CP are the universal UI between car brands. I used to hate rental cars because I needed to learn how to use their navigation but it's no longer a problem.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:50 PM   #122

Quote:
What about them?

You could just buy a Steam Deck or Switch which work anywhere? Why would you want to have it glued to a car. If your house gets so hot that you have to go sit in your car maybe don't overpay for a fashion accessory and buy an air conditioner and a Leaf or something.
The quality of the ford era jags was crap.

It runs more than just one screen. Also you need 2 sticks to run dual channel. Who makes 4 gig sticks anymore? Running steam games required no extra hardware.

My brother makes more money than anyone in our family but he is cheap. he has lived in the same house since he got his first accounting job. It has no A/C.
Will be doing a reno finally and getting A/C. Last summer his family watched netflix in the car because it was so hot. He didn't buy the model 3 or Mach e because they there fashion accessories. he bought them because his kids needed new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Most of their UI wouldn't be needed if they didn't remove all the cars buttons... lol... My car has pretty good navigation and audio UI and I don't even care, I don't use it. It's Android Auto and Apple Carplay all the way.

I can go from my G90 to an F150 and there's nothing to learn. Once you plug your phone in, AA and CP are the universal UI between car brands. I used to hate rental cars because I needed to learn how to use their navigation but it's no longer a problem.
Does Android Auto show you all the cars in front, beside, and behind you. Does it start recording when anyone comes near your car? Android Auto is great and I use it a lot but Tesla's system does some things that Android Auto will never be able to do.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:01 PM   #123

Quote:
Does Android Auto show you all the cars in front, beside, and behind you. Does it start recording when anyone comes near your car? Android Auto is great and I use it a lot but Tesla's system does some things that Android Auto will never be able to do.
Why does it need to? I don't look at screens when I drive, my eyes are on the road. I don't even look at my gauges anymore because the HUD is in my line of sight. The car knowing where other cars are is fine but it doesn't need to show me. That shit is distracting when you're trying to control a 5000lb projectile.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:21 PM   #124

It didn’t help the chinamen who did 1.7km at full speed with no brakes.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:47 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Why does it need to? I don't look at screens when I drive, my eyes are on the road. I don't even look at my gauges anymore because the HUD is in my line of sight. The car knowing where other cars are is fine but it doesn't need to show me. That shit is distracting when you're trying to control a 5000lb projectile.
So when you are backing out you only look at your hud. The end game is self driving and the computer is part of that system.