REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:52 PM   #126
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So when you are backing out you only look at your hud. The end game is self driving and the computer is part of that system.
I like waffles, therefore I must hate pancakes.
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2022, 06:05 PM   #127
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,764 Times in 826 Posts
Failed 883 Times in 161 Posts
Apple should be unveiling their "secret" self driving EV one of these days.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #128
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
Apple should be unveiling their "secret" self driving EV one of these days.
It has been delayed to 2026.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...-delayed-2026/
Old 12-31-2022, 07:06 PM   #129

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
The quality of the ford era jags was crap.
So what's your point? You keep making these odd comparisons to other vehicles that aren't equivalent.

Quote:
It runs more than just one screen. Also you need 2 sticks to run dual channel. Who makes 4 gig sticks anymore? Running steam games required no extra hardware.
Are you saying they're using regular computer memory in a car? That still doesn't explain why it needs all that RAM or why it has a GPU that can run a game, other than for a gimmick. You can run a UI and stream a couple cameras with a potato.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:08 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So what's your point? You keep making these odd comparisons to other vehicles that aren't equivalent.

Are you saying they're using regular computer memory in a car? That still doesn't explain why it needs all that RAM or why it has a GPU that can run a game, other than for a gimmick. You can run a UI and stream a couple cameras with a potato.
People are saying Tesla is not a luxury car because of fit and finish. But other luxury brands have also had fit and finish problems.

Tesla Uses a AMD APU that uses DDR4 ram. It's probably using embedded ram and not desktop dimms but it's DDR4 just like the computer you use. What type of potato tech would you like Tesla to use instead of the AMD CPU that cost them probably costs them a few hundred bux at most. They where using Intel Atom processors before.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:47 PM   #131

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I mean if I'm buying a car supposedly for the tech I'd rather they spend their R&D time on actual development and not gimmicks but that's just me.

Quote:
People are saying Tesla is not a luxury car because of fit and finish. But other luxury brands have also had fit and finish problems
You mentioned one period of time for one brand that pitches itself as luxury, but sure. The rest of them the rest of the time haven't got anywhere near Tesla's quality issues. They still have terrible build quality and still aren't a luxury brand despite their luxury pricing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:56 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I mean if I'm buying a car supposedly for the tech I'd rather they spend their R&D time on actual development and not gimmicks but that's just me.

You mentioned one period of time for one brand that pitches itself as luxury, but sure. The rest of them the rest of the time haven't got anywhere near Tesla's quality issues. They still have terrible build quality and still aren't a luxury brand despite their luxury pricing.
Tesla has the most advanced car on the market. No one comes close.

My family has 4 Tesla's no one has had fit and finish problems.

According to JD power Tesla ranks low but Audi, Volo, and Volkswagen are lower.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:08 PM   #133
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Being able to stream Steam video games is nothing. It took no development, it took no resources. They came to an agreement with Valve, and added it to the software.

All it does is play a video of the game you are playing, and send the inputs back and forth - no different from doing it on your phone or whatever. TVs have had software that does this for years.

It's just a gimmick and nobody is going to use it other than to see that they can do it. May be a few fringe cases like for kids or whatever, but they will most likely prefer to play on their own phone.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2022, 11:19 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Being able to stream Steam video games is nothing. It took no development, it took no resources. They came to an agreement with Valve, and added it to the software.

All it does is play a video of the game you are playing, and send the inputs back and forth - no different from doing it on your phone or whatever. TVs have had software that does this for years.

It's just a gimmick and nobody is going to use it other than to see that they can do it. May be a few fringe cases like for kids or whatever, but they will most likely prefer to play on their own phone.

Not true. Games are downloaded and stored locally from what I understand. Tesla has a 80 gig HD and you can add an external drive. I add I tb to my Dad's for sentry mode.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/11...mes-in-a-tesla
Old 12-31-2022, 11:24 PM   #135
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Downloading a game local to play online is way less technologically advanced than streaming a game in real time like Xbox GamePass Live. The input latency itself is insane to think about making it zero lag.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:39 PM   #136
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Tesla fan bois cling to the weirdest shit..
Old 01-01-2023, 03:03 AM   #137
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Not true. Games are downloaded and stored locally from what I understand. Tesla has a 80 gig HD and you can add an external drive. I add I tb to my Dad's for sentry mode.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/11...mes-in-a-tesla
OK if anything that is even more simple

Either way it's nothing... The car has a PC, so it can run Steam, and games that can run on Steam can run on it.

btw what GPU does the Tesla have that is able to run Cyberpunk at a playable frame rate?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:48 AM   #138

I'm confused why they would choose x86 to run a mission critical OS instead of ARM or a purpose built ASIC.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:52 AM   #139
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ I don't find them cheap at all. People bought them because of government subsidies and initially, not a whole lot of choices. That and it was the newest fangle thing. I think there are more and more options now.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:47 AM   #140
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Hahah so true. But I guess you have to defend your expensive purchase or else you are left with the reality that you bought a gimmicky ass car that’s poorly built, and full of beta software that they can change, remove, adjust on a whim.

They used to come with LiDAR right ? Now they rely solely on shit cameras that don’t work if there’s heavy rain or snow. Or it’s too dark. Or it’s too bright. Etc etc. steering yoke ? Fuck you elon. Self driving isn’t realistic, requires way too much babysitting, summon mode is horse crap, fails more than it works.

The only feature that I think is good is having the built in dash cam. Which I can replicate with a 30 dollar can from Amazon. What other feature is there that’s noteworthy ?

I don’t know why people defend these insane bullshit things.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2023, 06:52 AM   #141

If you think Tesla fans are whack, go check out the Hyperloop crowd..
Old 01-01-2023, 08:48 AM   #142
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Don't know much about Tesla's other than the fact that owners/drivers behave like bmw 3 series drivers of yester years.

Never signaling or giving thanks if you stop to let them through or out, tailgating your ass in the right lane when the left is completely wide open.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2023, 09:55 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I'm confused why they would choose x86 to run a mission critical OS instead of ARM or a purpose built ASIC.
They also have an arm chip in the car it's used for FSD. It was designed in house.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/tesla_(...pany)/fsd_chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
If you think Tesla fans are whack, go check out the Hyperloop crowd..
Hyperloop is BS. But if you want an EV Tesla makes the best one by far.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #144
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
People are saying Tesla is not a luxury car because of fit and finish. But other luxury brands have also had fit and finish problems.

Tesla Uses a AMD APU that uses DDR4 ram. It's probably using embedded ram and not desktop dimms but it's DDR4 just like the computer you use. What type of potato tech would you like Tesla to use instead of the AMD CPU that cost them probably costs them a few hundred bux at most. They where using Intel Atom processors before.
No one has fit and finish problems like Tesla does. I see them on the road and the misaligned panels are very obvious, especially on the trunks. Tons of anecdotal evidence that something like half the cars have issues on delivery. That's not the only thing that outlines what a luxury car is, NVH and suspension tuning is one huge sore power

I am saying that they didn't put their money in tech, but the other companies are quickly catching up. Tesla does have some very interest design choices and I say that in a good way. When Munro tore down a recent Model Y, the heatpump design for cabin climate control is described as ingenius and a super efficient design.

The AMD thing. Kudos to them to go for it and making it work as it gives them a ton of processing power, but there's a reason why traditionally x86 or PC-esque processors aren't used. They aren't robust enough for the bumps and bruises a car would take, and the operating envelope is just not wide enough (-40C to 60C easy, and that's just one metric) for operation in a car.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post

The AMD thing. Kudos to them to go for it and making it work as it gives them a ton of processing power, but there's a reason why traditionally x86 or PC-esque processors aren't used. They aren't robust enough for the bumps and bruises a car would take, and the operating envelope is just not wide enough (-40C to 60C easy, and that's just one metric) for operation in a car.
It depends on how the CPU is packaged. A Panasonic tough book laptop can run at temperatures as low as -28 C and when not running it can survive -58 C.

Audi Also uses Intel CPU's in some of it's cars.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/repo...ology-audi-a8/

Some planes also use Intel CPU's

https://fdsavionics.com/product/solid-state-cpu/

Tesla is not just garbing off the shelf parts and installing them in a car. Tons of testing by them and the manufacture has been done. As cars get more complex more CPU power will be required.

More info from Intel and AMD.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-overview.html

https://www.amd.com/en/products/embe...tive-solutions
Old 01-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #146
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
All I really cared to learn in this thread is that Buick is number 1

2023 is my favourite year so far.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #147

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That's literally the only thing that came to mind watching this back and forth

WTF.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:49 AM   #148

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
All I really cared to learn in this thread is that Buick is number 1

2023 is my favourite year so far.
And Dodge is 2nd?!

What world do we now live in.

How is Chrysler at the bottom of the list and Dodge is 2nd?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2023, 12:12 PM   #149
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:19 PM   #150
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Perhaps some of you folks should take this battle on to Twitter so we can get back on track to the purpose of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: