REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-15-2023, 08:59 PM   #951
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
That purple colour is so hot!!!
Advertisement
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:38 PM   #952
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
^I like that new wing.
Me too. It’s still very “phat” looking without the flares on, but I plan to keep them sitting in the living room a few more years.

Dry carbon is way lighter than the battleaero one and much better sized for the car, road feel is much improved. I see why Ford ran them on their WRC and RX cars
Old 08-16-2023, 02:11 AM   #953
RabidMod

Thanked 1,349 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Took my R1T on a shakedown trip out to Hollister Hills SVRA.

Really felt the length vs my previous '13 FJ Trail Teams: it was a bit harder to maneuver around the trails.

On the other hand, it was way more confident wrt roll: you really feel the weight is all down in the battery pack. Never thought it was going to tip. The max 14.9" of ground clearance is pretty ridiculous also: was no where near scraping (and anyway I have the reinforced underbody shield), whereas I've had a few (minor) hits to the skid plates on the FJ. All this added up to being able to get through black trails a lot faster, despite this being my first time running them in this truck.

Unfortunately didn't stop to get any pics on the trails: all I have are these ones on the way out of the park .

Last edited by RabidRat; 08-16-2023 at 02:23 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:13 AM   #954

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quite bad ass. Although I think the rivian is a bit too plane Jane looking for an EV truck. It should all look bad shit crazy cuz why not. This looks like an Apple product.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 08:17 AM   #955
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I haven't looked into this but how's the rivian build quality? Considering it's their first product. Any weird qc issues like Tesla? I mean it took them like 3 cars and pretty much 10 years to get it okay
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #956
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
^^^^

I'm really curious about this as well. Tesla are notorious for QC probs as you mentioned and also poor finishes.
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:59 AM   #957
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I haven't looked into this but how's the rivian build quality? Considering it's their first product. Any weird qc issues like Tesla? I mean it took them like 3 cars and pretty much 10 years to get it okay
Arent these this trucks where the whole bed and cab are one piece, so if you ding the bed, the cab needs to be reskinned with it.
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #958
RabidMod

Re conservative styling: this seems to have been a business-driven decision. I think they wanted to tap into a different market with this product. Traditional truck buyers probably weren't projected to switch over to EV at a significant rate, and so instead they tried to appeal to a different set of people (like for instance, the Apple / Patagonia types ). I mean if someone was going to buy a Raptor, I'd have trouble imagining them cross-shopping an R1T no matter what it looked like

Re fit / finish: on a purely anecdotal level (i.e. this is my opinion across a very low sample size), it's about on par with Tesla. If you're willing to accept that, then you'd accept this. Just looking at the UX design and overall engineering, it's pretty plain to see they poached a lot of talent from Tesla

Last edited by RabidRat; 08-16-2023 at 12:59 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #959
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
How did you swallow/rationalize the pricetag... ~$140k for a tiny bed pickup truck is pretty cray cray
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 01:23 PM   #960

I don't think anyone is buying these because they're good value. You're buying this because you've got money and want a neat new fun toy that just came out.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 01:35 PM   #961

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Y’all talk like rich people don’t give a shit about money. I’m telling ya, rich fuckers are generally the cheapest, most selfish and stingy bastards I’ve ever met. You need to be rollling into the billionaires club then maybe you start splurging like that.

Most of the self made guys don’t buy anything past 100-200k range. Even then it’s usually written to a company account so they can write it off on tax.

Last edited by Badhobz; 08-16-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 02:53 PM   #962
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
How did you swallow/rationalize the pricetag... ~$140k for a tiny bed pickup truck is pretty cray cray
Lol! Sure

I got in early enough for preorder pricing. And at the time, I also just made the cutoff for the maximum EV tax rebate. That brought me to Cayman pricing, which isn't nothing but I felt ok about that, as a sort of electric amalgamation of all my other vehicles that served specific purposes.

And wow, I wouldn't say I'm rich by any stretch (esp not for spending Cayman money lol!). Like all of you, I've worked and sacrificed to achieve a lot in my career, and I would say that I'm comfortable as a result of that.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:17 PM   #963
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Those R1T trucks are sweet, nice purchase rabitrat, regardless of the price/bed size

90% of trucks never see dirt, or more than 10% of the bed used in gvrd anyways......

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Y’all talk like rich people don’t give a shit about money. I’m telling ya, rich fuckers are generally the cheapest, most selfish and stingy bastards I’ve ever met. You need to be rollling into the billionaires club then maybe you start splurging like that.

Most of the self made guys don’t buy anything past 100-200k range. Even then it’s usually written to a company account so they can write it off on tax.
It think that's just different strokes for diff folks. Some rich ppl have massive houses and drive civics, some drink 500 dollar bottles of wine and take the skyrain to work, some buy 200k boats and take the bus.

It's not like some kind of universal rule that rich are cheap in all aspects of life. They just spend it in different ways and are cheap where they don't see value. Some more flashy than others and cars just happen to be one of the types of spending that you can see on a day to day basis. No one walks around with the deed to their 3 houses papers stabled to their chest.

I think they come across as cheap becasue they know anything they're buying has massive margins on it because the store/product knows their clientel lol, and have the money extraction machine on stg 2 turbo.

Last edited by trollface; 08-16-2023 at 04:53 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 08:51 PM   #965
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 232 Posts
Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
r1t is my favorite truck ...its really the do it all truck, i can even justify the pricetag (if it was in my budget)
1: can do offroad stuff... can keep up with the toyota/jeep guys
2: can do fast car stuff... can keep up with most supercars in a straight line
3: can do "fancy people" stuff... can show up at a resort/hotel/golf club/yacht club and not look out of place. (i felt a little out of place in a suit getting out of the tundra at a resort)
4: can do truck stuff... can haul stuff, small bed but a bed nonetheless.

Last edited by red kryptonite; 08-16-2023 at 08:57 PM.
red kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2023, 08:57 PM   #966
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Rich people I know be thrifting, cutting out coupons, getting BOGO ... that's just my circle. I don't hang out with Pattison, Gillespie, Sedins, etc.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:59 AM   #967
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by red kryptonite View Post
pricetag (if it was in my budget)
Actually, you have the TRD Pro right? With the preorder pricing & EV rebate, it was less than your Tundra

Quote:
1: can do offroad stuff... can keep up with the toyota/jeep guys
2: can do fast car stuff... can keep up with most supercars in a straight line
Yeah, this! I went out to the First Mile event that Rivian had at Sonoma Raceway: they made a rally stage with mixed dirt / gravel / tarmac, and it was fucking mind-blowing riding along w/ the truck bombing down the off-road terrain, all-wheel drifting through the course at speed, and then hitting the tarmac and cornering with near-zero pitch and roll, and a rip from 0-60 in 3 damn seconds. Then finishing with off-road hill climb / descent. And with such smoothness and control that my wife wasn't even car sick (and she had always gotten sick coming along for off-roading or track days)! I was completely and thoroughly sold on that day.

The quad motor setup really shines in rally type settings. I have since taken it out in dirt and snow, and it is black magic what they do with the torque vectoring and cross-lnked hydraulic suspension, to whip this 7000lb truck around corners, lock the slip angle in an all-wheel drift, and then launch out the corner exit with incredible traction and pull. Over and over, corner after corner. Overwhelmingly, the feeling is that it just doesn't seem possible but you're living it. It's an experience.

Quote:
(i felt a little out of place in a suit getting out of the tundra at a resort)
That's in your mind. The 3G Tundra is sharp as hell .

Quote:
4: can do truck stuff... can haul stuff, small bed but a bed nonetheless.
Yeah this is my first truck, and it is life-changing. I've been using the tailgate as a mobile workbench; throwing in dusty tools, renovation & landscaping supplies, and being able to just hose it all down after; throwing random dirty / muddy gear in the back; having a place to sit eating lunch (also gear tunnel doors); changing the kiddo's diaper wherever / whenever and not having to pre-plan for changing stations; having a place to just shove the full-size stroller and not screwing around w/ trunk-tetris; and just absolutely going to town at Costco.

The really key thing for me was having the IDGAF space in the back, and I didn't really need a lot of it. If anything, I could do with a smaller bed to get the shorter wheelbase (the turning radius is horrible on this truck), as long as it still fits a roof top tent (for the aero).

Last edited by RabidRat; 08-17-2023 at 03:09 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-17-2023, 07:50 AM   #968
Performance Moderator

You should get a part time job as a salesman for Rivian too... or Youtube that stuff... you've almost convinced me now lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2023, 02:34 PM   #969
RabidMod

Quote:
You should get a part time job as a salesman for Rivian too... or Youtube that stuff... you've almost convinced me now lol
Hah!

Incidentally, Rivian is hiring right now. The recruiter is saying I'd have to move down to their Irvine site though, and that's a lot on the family.

A couple months ago, a firmware update bricked my truck because a power converter failed to top up the aux 12V batteries. Which is fine, except that the battery leads in the rear only exposes one of said batteries, which only powers up literally the left half of the truck. What's worse is that even if you do know to tear apart the frunk to jump the other battery, if you don't power up these batteries simultaneously, then the computers don't come up. Turns out the system needs to start sourcing power from both sides at the same time, what in the actual fuck. Sounds like quite the hack job electrical architecture. But shit like this is why I think there are real opportunities to make a difference over there.

I think of dark0821 in that other thread, how he's killing it over at Hyundai because he finds meaning and love for what he's doing. It's something to think about for sure.

Speaking of dark, that is the man to do sales at Rivian. The trucks are all about the experience. You sure as shit are not going to sell anyone on the utility, so you're gonna have to sell them on an aspirational vision. There are little labels all around the vehicle saying things like "Stay Adventurous Forever": you'd have to say those words and mean it lol.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:41 PM   #970
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm test-driving one of these Rivians soon so I'm quite excited to hear all these positive testimonials. The size of the R1 generation is too big for my needs, but I'm hoping the experience won't be too far off when they eventually release more compact-sized models.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2023, 10:49 AM   #971
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
blows my mind each rivian is sold at a loss even at those price tags
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2023, 12:53 PM   #972

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
Maybe their prices will drop once Rivian gets bought out. Quality would probably drop too.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:25 PM   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
blows my mind each rivian is sold at a loss even at those price tags
R&D is a hell of a drug
Old 08-19-2023, 11:11 AM   #974
Performance Moderator

When you agree to help 320icar pick his trailer hitch up in Point Roberts but forget how big trailer hitches actually are lol

Old 08-21-2023, 08:12 AM   #975
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
When you agree to help 320icar pick his trailer hitch up in Point Roberts but forget how big trailer hitches actually are lol
border guards didn't give you shit?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote