REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,768 Times in 1,339 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Yea it sucks to buy now + interest rate, i think there's gonna be a slow down pretty soon. Unless you're a dumbass I don't see why you would want to finance at 8% or pay cash either given % rate. I think the market is getting pretty tired, most average consumers are getting tapped out. Also $2.05 gas prices. Why not just spend 10k for a beater for a n driver.
I wouldn't finance especially at that rate, I figured that the high interest rates might put downward pressure on the prices but haven't seen it.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:15 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,993 Times in 3,601 Posts
Failed 467 Times in 232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The type to have a 25 year old daughter?
no, shes a old sad lady who's all alone (never got married, always wanted kids, but boat's sailed on that one...)

Pretty ostracized by the rest of the work group too because they are all 25-35 year old cunts who think shes old fashion and sad.

shes super nice, i dont know why they all hate her. Anyways i dont mind helping this lady.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 02:12 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I did this same exercise with a co worker recently. She wanted a new car, she was looking at econoboxes and ran into the issues you said above. Most dealerships either has limited or no inventory (still) and they want you to pay over asking.

Ultimately when we did the math, the tesla was just a cheaper purchase.
The Model Y can be delivered this month, no games, no dealer bs. Just need to make sure you can find somebody who can qualify you for the rebates and it works out to be about the same if not cheaper than a ratrolla or a civic.

P.s. Fuck you Honda and your 32k base model Civic.

I still dislike Tesla's immensely but the value proposition is the best in the market right now.
I've never leased a car before, but isn't there some sort of equity on non-Telsa leases where you could either purchase the car at end of the lease (or even some positive equity on trade ins) that you won't get on a Telsa as that's purely a rental without any buy out possible?

That and people still drive 20k/year?

Gotta admit though, the way they layered in the "gas savings" is a great marketing trick.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:46 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 368 Times in 113 Posts
Strech out the gas savings long enough the car is free.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:51 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
I've never leased a car before, but isn't there some sort of equity on non-Telsa leases where you could either purchase the car at end of the lease (or even some positive equity on trade ins) that you won't get on a Telsa as that's purely a rental without any buy out possible?

That and people still drive 20k/year?

Gotta admit though, the way they layered in the "gas savings" is a great marketing trick.
With conventional leases, the buyout price is listed at the beginning of the loan - this is the manufacturer taking an educated guess as to what your car will be worth at that time.

If the 2023 Civic, in 4 years, has a buyout price of $12,000; but in actuality in 2027 after Covid-III, the car is worth $40K, then you buy the car outright for $12000+tax/fees, and you own a car worth $40K. If it's worth $6k at the time, you just give it back to the dealer.

The "gas savings" shtick Tesla uses bothers me - it's not $499/month, it's $910/month with money you're not spending on gas. It's kinda the same thing, but isn't really. At least now their website actually shows you the $910, before it didn't used to.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 03:04 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when factoring in 'gas savings' is that gas consumption can be varied depending on lifestyle changes that affect her driving needs (driving less than anticipated, lifestyle / job changes requiring less travel, going away on vacation etc.)

With the Tesla she'll be stuck paying that $911 lease regardless of how much she uses the car. Furthermore, a lot of those savings evaporate if she's dependent on Supercharging to fill up.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 03:21 PM   #32

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
I dunno man gas only goes up I don't ever see it coming back down, assuming 150 liters a month that's already $307.5 a month at $2.05 on an econobox.

+ $450 lease payment that's like 83% of the Tesla already
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:36 PM   #33
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
The "gas savings" shtick Tesla uses bothers me - it's not $499/month, it's $910/month with money you're not spending on gas.
I was gonna comment on this too, very sleazy.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 06:39 PM   #34

But it’s not 911 either. Cuz you gotta minus the 10k in government incentives. So real price is probably somewhere like 750 or 800 a month. Minus the 200-300 bucks saved on gas.

In the case of my old bat at work, she drives from mission everyday. I’m sure she’ll save money. She can charge at home.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 12:29 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
so... how hard would it be to buy a rubicon unlimited for msrp atm?
Old 06-13-2023, 06:22 AM   #36
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,363 Times in 458 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
so... how hard would it be to buy a rubicon unlimited for msrp atm?
Shouldn't be hard. 4XE are going for some pretty strong discounts.
Gladiator body have been discounting since last year

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 06:39 AM   #37

Thanked 2,225 Times in 609 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
I guess you are trying to get a Plug-in or hybrid?

We have been selling what we have in stock for MSRP + doc fee basically...and we dont care if you cash, finance or lease

take the final number (including tax) from the official Hyundai Canada website, and our final price falls within $700 ish of that number... which is pretty close to ($599 + tax)...

Having said that.... our new inventory are still like 10 to 14 cars over a 12 car product line.... so avg less than 1 car per model lmao... or it can be our Elantra, no inventory regardless of color or trim for like 2 month at a time... and when like 2 or 3 allocations do show up, they sell under 10 minutes lolol

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #38
I'm invisible

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
you bought that beluga headed RX!? how is it so far?

From what ive read these are the issues so far on clublexus:
- electronic door lock/handle freezes during the winter and you cant open the door. Apparently the moisture gets in there and freezes
- the gas cap cover panel is misaligned on like 50% of these due to fit and finish issues
- the user interface occasionally crashes and that heads up display steering wheel controller is frustrating a lot of people cuz it doesn't always work when you press it.

The gas cap cover panel on mine looks good. It's definitely not like another member on CL. Maybe they have an early production vehicle.

I haven't driven it very much, but the I dont find the head-ups display with the steering wheel button problematic; doesn't bother me very much. Initially it was weird, as most vehicles use regular buttons in those places, but after a few days, it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:39 PM   #39

I’m seeing these new RX s all over Richmond now. Even saw one in that bronze colour. Not bad. LC for 2024 also available in that bronze
Old 06-13-2023, 11:22 PM   #40
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
its never going to be a great time to buy a new car anytime soon for the reasons stated above... and dont forget tax on $50k-ish+ is now 15%... wasnt stoked to find that out on delivery day.
red kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:17 AM   #41
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
I’m seeing these new RX s all over Richmond now. Even saw one in that bronze colour. Not bad. LC for 2024 also available in that bronze
I wasn't too warm on the Beluga RXs in the beginning, but they're starting to grow on me now that I see more of them around town. Is it just me or do they look smaller than the outgoing generation?

Also found out my parents ordered a RZ in that new bronze color which for some reason they don't offer for the model in North America. Quite interested to see what that'll look like when I visit them.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #42

yeah i think youre right, it does look smaller. especially from the rear 1/4 view for some reason.

Its growing on me too, its not as hideous in person as in the pictures. Though im not a fan of the new interior at all. that tacked on tablet integration looks cheap.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:29 AM   #43
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
That bronze colour looks like baby ate too much apple sauce to me
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:48 PM   #44
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
I had no problems picking up my WRX at the Subaru in Coquitlam for MSRP + doc fee (what was quoted on the Subaru website). Sales didn't care how I structured the deal and the finance lady was the most chill F&I person I've ever worked with. She straight up said "you're probably not even going to keep this car for the warranty term so don't even bother with the extended warranty options". I wanted to buy a prepaid maintenance package but she said "lol no Subaru doesn't do that".

Definitely shop around - my first attempt was at Subaru on Marine and they were lowballing my trade + tacking on mandatory accessories. What are you looking to buy?
I am looking for a 2024 Subaru Crosstrek for a family member. Do you mind telling me which salesman you dealt with at Coquitlam Subaru? I am also happy to let him know you referred me to him if you want to let me know your name....

Thanks, Richard

Last edited by spacemanrick; 06-15-2023 at 01:56 PM.
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #45

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Damn my friend just got into a car accident, air bags blown so I'm guessing it's most likely gonna be a write off. Wondering what car he will get next.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #46
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
It's been 10 months since I bought my Durango, which admittedly is a very different animal than a Corolla, but I found a WILDLY varying experience. There was a $2k incentive directly from Dodge and every dealer in the country practically except my dealer 6 blocks away was aware and willing to honour it, so MSRP - $2k. The local guys literally tried to make up some sob story which was complete shit about how they had to "pay over msrp" and therefore needed to not offer it.

I ended up negotiating a bit and I got my Durango for $2k discount, $2k rebate, and a strong trade value. But it took a week and visiting 4 dealerships and generally negotiating hard against each other plus knowing exactly what I wanted, the price of it, and availability.

I think there is room to negotiate these days, but you have to cast a wide net.

-Mark
Old 06-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #47
private modder

Thanked 2,762 Times in 775 Posts
Failed 46 Times in 34 Posts
It's always going to be make/model dependent. Domestic cars have never had a very high demand in this market and dealers have a hard time moving stock. Except perhaps for pickup trucks.

Toyota/Hyundai/Tesla on the other hand, it's near impossible.

Anyways, here's a CBC article on this subject. This economist who studies the car industry basically said:

According to Young, the average price of a Canadian passenger vehicle is just over $45,000 right now. That figure is up by 30 per cent since 2019, "but it would be misleading to suggest that all car prices skyrocketed in the pandemic," she said in an interview.

"A big part it was auto makers dedicating their limited supply of components into their most profitable vehicles."

"Energy and material prices are flat now but way up since 2019," she said. "Friendshoring and rejigging supply chains cost them. If you look at [all these factors] you see the legitimacy of why a car should cost more now."

"I understand that prices go up and I understand that COVID affected things," she said. "I believe some of it but I think the dealerships are driving up rates and enjoying it because they can charge whatever they want — they say this is how much it is, and you say 'yes please' and wonder if you're going to get kicked again."
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #48

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 368 Times in 113 Posts
That's because it's a Durango.

They prob didn't even know they had one in the back next to the Mitsubishi Mirage and RVR.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #49
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,768 Times in 1,339 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
It's always going to be make/model dependent. Domestic cars have never had a very high demand in this market and dealers have a hard time moving stock. Except perhaps for pickup trucks.

Toyota/Hyundai/Tesla on the other hand, it's near impossible.

Anyways, here's a CBC article on this subject. This economist who studies the car industry basically said:

According to Young, the average price of a Canadian passenger vehicle is just over $45,000 right now. That figure is up by 30 per cent since 2019, "but it would be misleading to suggest that all car prices skyrocketed in the pandemic," she said in an interview.

"A big part it was auto makers dedicating their limited supply of components into their most profitable vehicles."

"Energy and material prices are flat now but way up since 2019," she said. "Friendshoring and rejigging supply chains cost them. If you look at [all these factors] you see the legitimacy of why a car should cost more now."

"I understand that prices go up and I understand that COVID affected things," she said. "I believe some of it but I think the dealerships are driving up rates and enjoying it because they can charge whatever they want — they say this is how much it is, and you say 'yes please' and wonder if you're going to get kicked again."
My issue isn't so much with prices going up over the last few years, it's what I'm assuming is the lack of supply that is driving some vehicles way past MSRP. I think you nailed it a bit, it's certain manufacturers that are having worse stock issues than others and they are charging huge for those vehicles.

If I can buy a car at MSRP plus taxes and dealer fees I'm fine with that. I just really expected with interest rates at what they are at it would put downward pressure on the above scenario happening but I haven't really seen it with some manufacturers. I guess it's just a simple supply/demand issue so the real question is will the supply ever catch up to the demand again or will they prevent that from happening regardless of ability to make that happen.

I seen a 3 year old car today with 20K on it where if available new for the same model with the same options the MSRP on the new one is 15% less than what they are asking for the 3 year old used one. That's the shit I'm referring to.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #50

Dont forget the all mighty eclipse cross.