REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 09:53 AM   #4351
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,606 Times in 4,314 Posts
Even tho I'm happy the Oilers are going to lose 4 straight I really would of enjoyed a more competitive series. It's been so boring (same with the NBA finals).. It also sucks hockey is going to be over this weekend until October.

On the bright side I heard the Canucks are going to give Zadorov another offer this weekend and he really wants to get this deal done and play here so hopefully there will be positive news for when the 2024/2025 thread is started.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2024, 10:02 AM   #4352
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Everyone is so happy the way this series is panning out ... except for me and Skinny.
I wanted Edmonton to win.

Fuck Florida.

Had a friend from DC come up here last weekend and he had lived in Ft. Lauderdale.

No one down there gives a shit about the team. Bars are barely even playing the finals, with their team in the damn thing. You'll be seeing UEFA games played on the TVs before you see any Stanley Cup games

Why would I want to see a city win the cup when they don't even give a shit about the game? For as much as you can hate the Oilers, Edmonton lives and breathes the bloody team.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 10:18 AM   #4353
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,556 Times in 5,761 Posts
Why would any sports fan cheer for a team they were just cheering against?

Like yea they just barely beat our team with a 3rd string goalie and missing our top goal scorer, hang on and let me switch allegiances to a team I thought was barely better than my own? Yea right lol.

They are exactly as I said they were, and their window is closing fast. Which obviously, every Canucks fan will take given they intentionally shit the bed for a decade to get a couple of the best players in the world and they still can’t even get a sniff
Old 06-14-2024, 10:31 AM   #4354
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
I mean... there is an argument for doing that... the only salient one I can think of is that you can say that your team lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champion... so what can you do?

Better than saying fuck we lost to these nubs that got swept in the finals....

All the "At least it's in Canada" people have a short memory for how badly the rest of Canada trashed the Canucks in 2011 and everyone outside of Vancouver was cheering for the Bruins.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #4355
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
Cheering for the Oilers is like cheering for the Flames back in 2004.

That Jovanovski penalty and Gelinas goal is forever burned into my memory. Even with Iginla on that team, there was no way I'd be cheering for them.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:35 AM   #4356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Why would any sports fan cheer for a team they were just cheering against?

Like yea they just barely beat our team with a 3rd string goalie and missing our top goal scorer, hang on and let me switch allegiances to a team I thought was barely better than my own? Yea right lol.

They are exactly as I said they were, and their window is closing fast. Which obviously, every Canucks fan will take given they intentionally shit the bed for a decade to get a couple of the best players in the world and they still can’t even get a sniff
What? I think it's a pretty easy pivot.

I'd rather cheer for the guy that beat my guy, as opposed to not. Why would I wanna see the guy who beat me, get his ass kicked by some other guy, and easily at that?

That just reaffirms how much I suck. At least if Edmonton wins, we can hang our hat that we lost to the Cup champions.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 10:39 AM   #4357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I mean... there is an argument for doing that... the only salient one I can think of is that you can say that your team lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champion... so what can you do?

Better than saying fuck we lost to these nubs that got swept in the finals....

All the "At least it's in Canada" people have a short memory for how badly the rest of Canada trashed the Canucks in 2011 and everyone outside of Vancouver was cheering for the Bruins.
That’s why Canucks fans will always have a chip on their shoulder because -everyone- was against them winning in 2011, from media to other fan bases etc.

Then we have to watch Sportsnet suck the oilers dick with shit like “Bouch Bomb” etc.

If the Canucks were a legitimate contender, I could get more on board with being beaten by the eventual champs, but they got to where they were on a turn around season with a bunch of guys over performing etc. they weren’t even on the same level as a Dallas in terms of expectations
Old 06-14-2024, 10:48 AM   #4358

We Canucks fans are miserable bastards. We deserve to carry our bad joojoo.

If I was a player I'd hate playing here, we have some of the most rabid online fanbase than any professional sports team in NA.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 10:49 AM   #4359
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
What does that Oiler fanboy Luke Gazdic have to say now?
Old 06-14-2024, 11:47 AM   #4360
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,962 Times in 952 Posts
I just want Luongo to get a cup.

Clearly, there's a big enough fan base and money flowing that it works there. And maybe having their team win the cup will make it become more popular there.

Edmonton was already gifted multiple 1OA picks and gets all the attention for Mcdavid, I don't need to them to have even more of a reason to be on the front page the next X years.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 12:06 PM   #4361
Performance Moderator

Luongo winning a cup???

In his role of "Special Advisor to the GM" lol

Not even Senior Advisor like 3 other dudes there... or Assistant GM... who by the way is GREGORY CAMPBELL barfffffffffffff.......... but special advisor... I mean that is ceremonial to the max.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 12:11 PM   #4362
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,248 Posts
I think our fans are on par with Edmonton, neither fanbase wants to see the other succeed and I'm cool with that. I don't see the need for some "let's come together for Canada" moment.

This organization basically did nothing with all those first round draft picks they won. They were gifted a hockey God and they are getting dusted 4 straight in the finals and he'll probably peace out when his contract is up. Yeah I don't really feel bad for this team lol
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 12:17 PM   #4363
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,506 Times in 7,268 Posts
Both fan bases are unbearable.
People who make professional sports a key part of their identity are so fucking annoying. Even more so when they don't even understand the shit they are watching.
I'm not sure how you can say losing in the Stanley cup finals is "doing nothing"
That's better than 31 other teams in the league. In the last 40 years only like 10 teams have won. It's not like the CFL where you're going to win one just based on the odds in someone's lifetime.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 12:26 PM   #4364
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Luongo winning a cup???

Not even Senior Advisor like 3 other dudes there... or Assistant GM... who by the way is GREGORY CAMPBELL barfffffffffffff.......... but special advisor... I mean that is ceremonial to the max.
If I am the water boy for the team do I get a ring, and my name on the cup as well?
Old 06-14-2024, 12:29 PM   #4365
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Both fan bases are unbearable.
People who make professional sports a key part of their identity are so fucking annoying. Even more so when they don't even understand the shit they are watching.
But the Leafs fanbase takes the cake in being annoying, nauseating, and most deserving of failure.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 12:51 PM   #4366

I believe that but honestly I don't really notice it. Living in edmonton then here I really only hate Vancouver, Calgary and edmonton fan bases.
I think Saskatchewan roughrider fans take the cake though in terms of sports in Canada. Like they wear their jerseys to a lions/stampeders game. Like what are you even doing here lol
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 01:05 PM   #4367
Performance Moderator

Hahaha Sask fans!!! THey got literally nothing else there.

I still can't believe there used to be 2 teams in the league called Roughriders and we were supposed to believe it was okay because it was Roughriders and Rough Riders lmao
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 01:13 PM   #4368

lol we have 8 teams we don't need to use the same name twice
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2024, 01:15 PM   #4369
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I believe that but honestly I don't really notice it. Living in edmonton then here I really only hate Vancouver, Calgary and edmonton fan bases.
I think Saskatchewan roughrider fans take the cake though in terms of sports in Canada. Like they wear their jerseys to a lions/stampeders game. Like what are you even doing here lol

To add to your points about the Canucks fanbase, I think that the Canucks have the most fair weather, bandwagon fans, in the NHL. The so called "fans" who want to look relevant to other friends, and talk about the Canucks when the team is doing well in the regular season and playoffs.

When the Canucks are not doing well, in the eyes of the bandwagon fans, such as the team loses a pivotal game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals twice, then those bandwagon "fans" take out their frustration on public and private property. For example, the 1994 and 2011 riots in Vancouver.

As a Canucks fan since 1983, I remember watching games in the Pacific Coliseum with my family. The Vancouver media have always put the team under a big microscope. The media coverage of the Canucks is even bigger these days with social media, podcasts, and sports reporters reporting on the team.

It would be tough for a player to play for the Canucks because of the great pressure that the fans and the media place on the team to have playoff success and to win a Stanley Cup.

-definitely not gonna watch the ESPN documentary on Netflix about the 2011 riot. -would make me sick to my stomach to see that nightmare again on TV.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...anley-cup-riot

I wonder who are the fools in ESPN who came up with the idea of a sports documentary about the riot. This kind of shit has entertainment value??
Old 06-14-2024, 02:10 PM   #4370
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
We Canucks fans are miserable bastards. We deserve to carry our bad joojoo.

If I was a player I'd hate playing here, we have some of the most rabid online fanbase than any professional sports team in NA.
It's a very Vancouver thing to support something to your own detriment

If my team doesn't win it all, I'd always prefer the team that beat them to win. If my team couldn't beat them, and nobody else could, that gives me hope for next year.

Instead, Vancouver fans are cheering for the team that beat the team that beat the Laffs

Florida is a GREAT team. They are playing absolutely perfectly, including the goalie, unlike last year when they made it to the finals. But they have basically no fans whatsoever, except a bunch of schadenfreude Canadians
Old 06-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #4371
Performance Moderator

The only thing I am cheering for is Bobrovsky... mostly cuz he had the balls to support pride jerseys with all the other Russian players hiding behind religious beliefs.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 02:21 PM   #4372
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,248 Posts
I'm not really cheering for Florida I'm just more amused Edmonton is losing. No matter who wins at this point a month from now most of us will never think about this years finals ever again. Picking a side just gives you a reason to keep watching at this point.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 03:27 PM   #4373
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,962 Times in 952 Posts
Quote:
Luongo winning a cup???

hey, if that's the only way the Sedins can get their names on one too, i'm cool with it.

Maybe Lu can lace up for the final minute of game 4
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2024, 09:45 PM   #4374

Vancouver is a Canucks town, period. I had that discussion with someone about if the woman’s league would ever come to Vancouver and I’m almost certain it would fail

And their fans I think fairly represent Vancouver residents as a whole lol

Fandom is fandom, people love their team
Old 06-15-2024, 02:45 AM   #4375
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:
Why would I want to see a city win the cup when they don't even give a shit about the game? For as much as you can hate the Oilers, Edmonton lives and breathes the bloody team.
lol, can always look at it as if no one gives a shit, then it's like it never happened. Do I really want to hear Edmonton talk about their cup win and being Canada's team for the next decade or Florida who will stop talking about it by October?

Quote:
That just reaffirms how much I suck. At least if Edmonton wins, we can hang our hat that we lost to the Cup champions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If my team doesn't win it all, I'd always prefer the team that beat them to win. If my team couldn't beat them, and nobody else could, that gives me hope for next year.
I feel that's about stretching it as much as cheering for Edmonton because suddenly people feel it's the Olympics.

If me and some other guy spent a lot of time flirting with the hottest girl, but in the end, she ended up being more interested in him. I sure as hell wouldn't be cheering him on afterward. If he smashes, it's like we all smashed her! Somehow he's repping for all of us now. I hope he ends up marrying her too, because if he gets dumped, I lost to a loser.

Sports are more complicated than that... I mean when Dallas beat Vegas in 2020, Vegas weren't the eventual cup winner. Is that bad? No, Canucks (Demko mostly) actually damaged them psychologically, they started doubting their offense. It made them fodder for Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Fandom is fandom, people love their team
If people are just here for the hockey first, Canucks second, switching alliances is easy when the passion level is not as high for this team. The highs and lows really don't really have as much affect.

I admit I've had times where I tuned in more and sometimes less over the decades. Life also gets busy, I've detached myself to help cope over the dark eras. But cheering for another team... I would stop following the league before that happens.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Closed Thread