REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:55 PM   #526
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,625 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
well, if you were forced to watch the oilers broadcast, everything they do can't be wrong.

player kicks puck into net. says canucks player's stick lifted his skate

ekholm gets called for hitting hoglander. says hoglander went down too easy. ekholm is like twice the size of hoglander.

when oilers start gooning it up. says it's about time
They were friggin terrible, I watched the oilers broadcast and he said the canucks stick pushed his foot in, but I watched the replay from multiple angles at 25% speed and it was an oilers stick that pushed him, also, he already started moving his foot before the stick even touched him so...
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2023, 11:08 PM   #527
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Did they explain why the Oilers’ 2nd goal counted?
Taking my homer glasses off, it was a good goal.

Demko tried to setup a pick. He was well out of his crease and wasn't in a vulnerable position (with his back turned). IMO, that was just a bad play by Demko.

Unless I have the ruling completely wrong that goalies are supposed to be completely untouchable outside of the crease, but it was Demko that set that up on himself.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2023, 05:04 AM   #528
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,728 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2023, 06:01 AM   #529
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,126 Times in 1,965 Posts
Remember this thread a year ago? Rutherford ... Alvin ... Boudreau and the fanbase.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:30 AM   #530

So far so good for the Canucks.

Big props to Coach Tocchet, and his assistants Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar for coaching the team with a new identity and new defensive system.

This Canucks team is hard to play against for just about any team now.

Opposing forwards have little space and time to skate with the puck in the neutral zone.

When the puck is in the Canucks zone, the D men and the forwards are playing well as a team to make the sure the puck gets out safely. Fewer turnovers in the defensive zone.

The players play with a different mindset compared to last season. When the team is trailing in the game. No problem. Just stick with their game plan.

Oilers lead 1-0 early in the game last night? No problem.

You can see the team play with confidence instead of going to panic mode when they are trailing in games.

-big difference in the team's mental strength compared to their fragile mental state from last season.

They beat a good team in Dallas that also play a tight defensive system. -also beat other good teams like Nashville.

The teams that they are supposed to beat like San Jose, they light up the opposition with their offence.

Their biggest test in terms of games will be if they can beat the defending champs, the Golden Knights.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:08 AM   #531
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,961 Times in 951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Taking my homer glasses off, it was a good goal.

Demko tried to setup a pick. He was well out of his crease and wasn't in a vulnerable position (with his back turned). IMO, that was just a bad play by Demko.

Unless I have the ruling completely wrong that goalies are supposed to be completely untouchable outside of the crease, but it was Demko that set that up on himself.
also, if another skater did that, they would've been called for interference. so yea, demko fucked up.

if demko was making legit effort to get back into net, it could be argued that the opposing player prevented him from getting back, but he just stood there and stuck his leg out.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:25 AM   #532
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,996 Times in 5,323 Posts
It's kind of complicated, cuz players are supposed to make an effort to avoid contact with goalies even outside the net... there's no "fair game" rule and they're not like other forwards or D out there... so the EDM player also did nothing to alter his course.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #533

The next 3 games, Canucks play Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal. all 3 teams will be playing on the back end of their back-to-back games. then in the 2 weeks after, play the Sharks twice. Get ready for more goals
Old 11-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #534
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,385 Times in 1,680 Posts
Ottawa hasn't been great so far this season. Toronto is top end heavy as usual so that game will have it's ups and downs. Montreal isn't a team to take lightly either. Eager to see how they come out of this next road trip!
Spoiler!
Old 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM   #535
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,815 Posts
Guess some of us have to eat our crow a bit here. I remember people saying why the fuck are we trading for players like Hronek, we should be rebuilding, not adding assets.

We were wrong, it seems like Hronek has been one of those missing pieces we've needed, Hughes and him are an offensive dynamo with each other.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2023, 05:37 PM   #536
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,126 Times in 1,965 Posts
^ I think the majority of the fanbase is eating crow.

The venom for Rutherford and Alvin was off the charts for a good long while. Lot of people criticized the Tocchet as the choice for coach and his focus on 'structure'.

Fanbase drank the 'Bruce, there it is!' coolaid
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2023, 06:40 PM   #537
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,935 Times in 8,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ I think the majority of the fanbase is eating crow.

The venom for Rutherford and Alvin was off the charts for a good long while. Lot of people criticized the Tocchet as the choice for coach and his focus on 'structure'.

Fanbase drank the 'Bruce, there it is!' coolaid
Fans liked Bruce because he was a lovable guy. It was clear he wasn't working out, but he was still fun to chant for.

Also the way the team handled him was awful, no matter how well the new guy ended up working out.

The team is still really shitty in many ways, not unlike the Oilers and Flames. They just happen to be on the up while the others are down.

This is part of why I advocate for cheering athletes over teams, once you have your favourite team established. Fans suck
Old 11-07-2023, 09:20 PM   #538

Well. Sharks got their first win tonight vs Flyers. That's gotta be a shitty feeling for the flyers

I was hoping they would get their first win against the Oilers
Old 11-07-2023, 09:46 PM   #539
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It's kind of complicated, cuz players are supposed to make an effort to avoid contact with goalies even outside the net... there's no "fair game" rule and they're not like other forwards or D out there... so the EDM player also did nothing to alter his course.
If you look closely, Demko did set up a pick though. So it was really him that went "out of the way" to instigate that collision. It's subtle that it's not blatantly obvious, but I'm convinced Demko knew exactly what he was trying to do when he just stood there after he did the drop pass.

The Oiler player took a natural course to go around the net, without leaning in for a hit or anything like that.

I think the avoiding contact "rule" would be more like trying to line up the goalie and go for a bodycheck as you would against another skater.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #540

Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,150 Posts
So compared to last year and the years before from my eyes the team is
faster at decision making
more creative in plays
less puck chasing
more aggressive
better positioning
less standing around waiting for things to happen.

Rather than one big change it's a lot of small improvements. I felt that the team had it in them when we played the lockout playoffs. Last year Demko was also hurt and he's been lights out so far. All that combined it feels like the team has more confidence and also they won't get benched for a whole game because of a small mistake and there's buy in.

Yes lots of the bottom 6 has changed and we've swapped out OEL for Hronek which is a huge upgrade but the top lines are still the same. I remember watching Dakota Joshua last year at the Bieksa retirement game and I liked how he played and I'm glad he's still around.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:26 PM   #541
Banned (ABWS)?

hehehe, and Bo Horvat is gone...
Whether that has anything to do with anything. But JT Miller seemed to play a lot better after that trade.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:25 PM   #542

Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,815 Posts
Bo doesn't seem to be making that much of an impact with the Islanders either, so maybe we dodged a bullet letting that guy go.

It's early, but OEL is a -2, while Hronek is +12
Old 11-08-2023, 03:50 PM   #543
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,935 Times in 8,257 Posts
They had to choose between JT and Bo; seems like they chose wisely
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2023, 04:04 PM   #544

Thanked 7,361 Times in 2,468 Posts
Linden throwing JB under the bus, rightfully so... Outside of Juolevi and Lockwood, I haven't heard a peep from the 2016 draft class since being drafted.

Hit or not at least there was some trade value out of the 2017 class.

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 11-08-2023, 07:48 PM   #545

Benning wanted Cody Glass. Thank fucking god for Linden.

More I saw on reddit:

"I wasn't happy with the way our process was in 2016, and that was the first year Judd had taken over the reigns -- and I did not like how our meetings went. So in 2017 i really pushed hard to have Judd really step up and really run a robust type meeting -- in that we can really put our thoughts and feelings on the table. I really pushed hard in that management group to have Judd and his guys make the pick. I give Judd ... and give Ronny Delorme a lot credit as well .. they love this guy. Jim wasn't sold ... if Jim had his choice -- he would have probably taken a different player. But I really pushed to have these guys that were banging their fists on the table ... lets have these conversations .. because i really think we didn't do a good job in 2016 and I think it cost us -- well I know it cost us."

Some other tidbits:

Talked about retro jerseys, loves the skate but says his personal fave is the "stick in rink" and that's what the team would wear if he owned it. When he was with the team wanted to standardize on it.

Says Alvin did a good job adding depth.

Said the team roster in 2014 was "barren, there was nothing".

Said Green was coaching well when he was let go, but the players couldn't put it together.

Said Bruce had a 'play any way you want" kind of game an "that doesn't get you very far".

Says the experience of Green and Bruce showed the players that having a system and competing properly helps you win. Touches on how Calgary and Edmonton don't have that buy in.

Says Pat Quinn taught him that good defence doesn't have to come at the expense of offence, and that it seems that's something these guys are buying into today.

Said he was the Canucks President because he wanted to be, he wasn't there because he needed a job and didn't ever want to do things just to keep his job. Wanted to do the right things.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:42 PM   #546
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,385 Times in 1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They had to choose between JT and Bo; seems like they chose wisely
I liked Bo (still have his jersey) but we definitely made the right decision in trading him instead of signing to $8.5M/yr.

side note: it's almost game time!
Spoiler!
Old 11-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #547

Old 11-09-2023, 03:19 PM   #548
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
Oh shit, forgot it's an eastern game.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:42 PM   #549

The Official 2023/2024 Canucks & NHL Thread

Ray Ferraro is the commentator for this game against Ottawa.

A welcome change from Tomlinson haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #550

listening to Ferraro makes it feel like i'm playing NHL
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread