REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 07:11 AM   #1101
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
I've never seen this vibe to the team that I can remember... like we will get up 2-3 goals and then they'll kind if sit back a bit (not good) and the other team will score 1 or maybe 2.. you get a bit worried, but it's like they suddenly get this "Fuck you, you're not coming back in this" mentality and bear down again. It's so fun to watch.

What really sticks out to me is how often the other team has the goalie pulled for an extra attacker now. Like almost every game lol
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2024, 07:37 AM   #1102
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,410 Times in 1,686 Posts
because in the past decade it's usually US trying to tie up the game in the final minutes

i'm definitely getting similar vibes to 2011 team though. it's arguably even better right now because our d core has never been this good or had this kind of depth. with that said, the team itself will be the first to remind you they haven't really done anything yet and that's the perfect mindset to keep until the post season rolls around.
Spoiler!
Old 01-12-2024, 09:00 AM   #1103
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,160 Posts
I think this is shaping up to be a better run because the team isn't reliant on PPG to win. 10/11 was exciting because whenever we get a PP we had a good chance to score but they put the whistles away for playoffs.

Now we are getting a lot of scoring from 5v5
Old 01-12-2024, 09:08 AM   #1104
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,606 Times in 4,314 Posts
I can't wait to see what moves Allvin makes to improve the team even more. I've so missed the Canucks winning these past 10+ years.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:17 AM   #1105
Performance Moderator

Saw some report that said the Canucks have never had a defensive pair that combined for 100 points in a season, which just seems CRAZY.............. but now Hughes and Hronek are projecting to score 170+ as a pair?

Mental. To think people were bashing the shit out of the Hronek trade when they made it too... lol
Old 01-12-2024, 09:20 AM   #1106
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I think this is shaping up to be a better run because the team isn't reliant on PPG to win. 10/11 was exciting because whenever we get a PP we had a good chance to score but they put the whistles away for playoffs.

Now we are getting a lot of scoring from 5v5
Do you think this team is prepared or built for the playoffs, namely the physicality? The skill is definitely consistently there but that's the only area I'd be concerned about.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:22 AM   #1107
Performance Moderator

I don't think they are big enough up front in some ways... that might be why they're rumoured to be looking at dudes like Jordan Greenway who is really struggling right now in Buffalo, but is a way better player than his numbers suggest this season.

My dream addition if there was one would be Joel Eriksson-Ek... dude is an absolute beast and only 26... signed for multiple years at 5M, he's playing like an 8M+ player last year and this year. Minnesota is doing pretty badly, who knows? (Yes, I'm dreaming)
Old 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM   #1108

Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Do you think this team is prepared or built for the playoffs, namely the physicality? The skill is definitely consistently there but that's the only area I'd be concerned about.
Honestly, I am not sure. Though it doesn't seem like teams are overtly built to punish the opposing physically as much anymore. The old Bruins model that beat us back in 2011 isn't as prevalent as skill guys are taking the precedent in the last few years.

We have a few big guys (2 really) but they aren't overly physical.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:24 AM   #1109
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,410 Times in 1,686 Posts
I'd say on paper we aren't as big as other teams in the forward group but the difference now is that they are playing physical despite that and more importantly, they stick up for each other when teams try to take their liberties. The cohesiveness of the group is excellent and that's largely due to Tocchet having them all buy into their system. I can see them perhaps looking at a 2C which would allow them to keep the lotto line together. Also, given the opportunity to add another D, any team would do that when looking at a deep playoff run.
Spoiler!
Old 01-12-2024, 10:29 AM   #1110

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,819 Posts
Man the way this team and the staff, management, and coaching have been able to turn this ship around so fast just shows how completely useless the local media is.

I got caught up with all the commentary, doom and gloom from all the talking heads, new coach is going to suck, Allvin and Rutherford are out of touch, keeping JT is stupid, why trade for Hronick, etc.

They were all wrong, I don't think I've ever seen a team turn things around like this in such a short amount of time, to such a degree.

I've decided I'm going to take a serious step back from following sports media, notably on Youtube.

Too much bullshit for clicks.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2024, 10:34 AM   #1111
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,556 Times in 5,761 Posts
The new media in place in Sat, Riccio, the couple Indian guys etc. all with Sportsnet are actually quite grounded and level headed in their assessment imo

I’ve been a daily listener to sports media for 20 years now, which is obviously
Largely focused on the Canucks and we’ve gone through so many sacks of shit here like Tony Ghallager, Dave Pratt, Matt Sekerss, etc. these guys who thought being edgy and negative pessimists all the time was the key to driving ratings, which ultimately got them booted from the media scene, rightfully so imo.

Local media also completely disrespected fans with painful stints like “Bro Jake” being a sports radio host who literally knew NOTHING about sports.

I feel like we’ve actually come to a good place lately with grounded analysis, but yea.. no media guy ever really knows what going on and this season proves how easy it is to turn things around. There’s no more calls for a rebuild/blowing up the team with what amounts to minor tweaks and a handful of trades.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:43 AM   #1112
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,733 Posts
This Canucks team is surprising many of the media, especially the Toronto biased reporters in Ontario.

Elliotte Friedman is reporting that Tocchet will be one of the coaches at the all star game.

Demko, Hughes, and possibly Miller and Petey could be playing in that game.

Tocchet and his coaching staff deserve much of the credit to putting in their system for this team and getting the players to play as a cohesive unit.

Watch out for the Canucks after this season ends. This team is a legit contender.

Maple Leafs? haha. They will win one playoff round. Oilers? Still have no defence to win a Stanley Cup.

The Jets are the only other Canadian team that is playing as well as the Canucks.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM   #1113
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It's the 25-0-0 when leading after 40min stat is what surprised me this year. The usual canucks throughout history have a bad reputation of blowing leads and losing the game.

I hope this current trend and work ethic continues into the playoffs.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2024, 12:52 PM   #1114
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
Tocchet has to be in the conversation for Jack Adams, you think? Right?
Old 01-12-2024, 01:10 PM   #1115
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
It's the 25-0-0 when leading after 40min stat is what surprised me this year. The usual canucks throughout history have a bad reputation of blowing leads and losing the game.

I hope this current trend and work ethic continues into the playoffs.
this is true, to the extent where it became expected for the canucks to just drop any lead and lose. the "typical" canucks fashion.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:41 PM   #1116

Thanked 3,962 Times in 952 Posts
The coaching and player development has been incredible this year. It's 100% why the team is playing so well. I've been extremely impressed with the stick work and body positioning of all players. They're all learning it and executing it in game.

racing for a puck? let the other guy reach for it, then immediately lift his stick and take it away. player has the puck against the board? check him, and then roll over him and take the puck from the other side.

Yea, there were players in the past that did this stuff, but they were individuals doing it on the team, whereas everyone here is doing this stuff. it's like when Malholtra taught the team to be so good at faceoffs.

the forechecking is great. you can see the 3 forwards have set positions to be at to force the opposing player to put the puck into certain areas. this is also why Toch was saying that Kuzy not forechecking and being where he needs to be is throwing the other forwards off.

we're far enough into the season for everyone to see that it works, so the players are 100% on board and buying in.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:49 PM   #1117

Rick Hockey is also the type to actually hold people accountable, with the support of management as well, a rare thing to see.

There isn’t a player on the bench that could go to the coaching staff and have excuses for not buying into the system when you’ve got Toch, Gonchar, and Foote there
Old 01-12-2024, 01:51 PM   #1118
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,274 Times in 586 Posts
Anyone thinking of buying half/full season tickets?
Old 01-12-2024, 02:26 PM   #1119
Performance Moderator

I have thought about it, but man it's such a chore to go downtown and attend games... rather just go to a couple games a year and enjoy it rather than feel like I have to scramble to get down there after work every time, etc.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:22 PM   #1120
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Man the way this team and the staff, management, and coaching have been able to turn this ship around so fast just shows how completely useless the local media is.

I got caught up with all the commentary, doom and gloom from all the talking heads, new coach is going to suck, Allvin and Rutherford are out of touch, keeping JT is stupid, why trade for Hronick, etc.

They were all wrong, I don't think I've ever seen a team turn things around like this in such a short amount of time, to such a degree.

I've decided I'm going to take a serious step back from following sports media, notably on Youtube.

Too much bullshit for clicks.
In sports everyone has to have a hot take. You have to drown out the noise, and use your own eyes. I don't follow hockey as deep as football, but I assume that there are experts out there doing tape review and all that. You'll learn so much watching those guys compared to listening to the talking heads. Just make sure you find an expert and not some jabroni who doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

The main thing is to let things happen and react to that, don't react to what you think is going to happen, or can happen. This is the thing most hot take fans and talking heads don't do.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:33 PM   #1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Anyone thinking of buying half/full season tickets?
I’d be down to split a pair 3-4 ways, but only lower bowl
Old 01-12-2024, 03:51 PM   #1122
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I have thought about it, but man it's such a chore to go downtown and attend games... rather just go to a couple games a year and enjoy it rather than feel like I have to scramble to get down there after work every time, etc.
I had seasons from around 2005-2013? Whatever the last season we were still selling out every game was. It was a nice fun run watching the West Coast Express > Sedin era and experiencing a cup final in person. Since then I think I've gone to 2 games and can't bring myself to drag my old ass down to the arena. The Van crowd is pretty damn tame (myself including in the blame), the corroder is way too fucking narrow I can't be bothered being funneled into it. Then all the rest of the getting down there, leaving etc. That said, I mean nows as best a time as ever since our our cup run to watch an excited, highly talented, and so this season so far winning team. Is there a wait list now or are seasons readily available?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
Old 01-12-2024, 04:20 PM   #1123
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
Isn't there a train that goes to that area now?
Old 01-12-2024, 07:56 PM   #1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Isn't there a train that goes to that area now?
You mean to Rogers Arena? Then yes there is a skytrain station right next to it. Stadium station.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:46 PM   #1125

Thanked 3,962 Times in 952 Posts
Closed Thread