REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-09-2023, 07:53 PM   #126
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
That Z4 was fantastic. Someone that's not me got it for $4200 bucks. It had a salvage title, smelled like fresh paint, had hair in the paint from someone painting it with a brush, had a leaking heater core, and a pair of handcuffs and a fishing rod in the trunk. This one did not have a power top, but we had to do the heater core in it, took 6hrs.

Someone who's not me would pay the security guards during Covid shutdowns in the new industrial parks $40 dollars to patrol elsewhere for a few hrs. Someone who's not me would then set up "Covid motorsports park". We had full-blown race cars attend, drones, timers, cones, lead and follow, and everything.

That car did not have the same number of wheels attached after we were done. Fixed it, did it again.

Some lady backed into it after we slapped huge snow tires on it and went up the mountains. Got written off for like $6k. Saw it on a pick-a-part site a few months later. Only part not for sale? The hood we polished with an orbial sander.

Advertisement

Last edited by trollface; 10-09-2023 at 08:03 PM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2023, 08:59 PM   #127
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,579 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Interested to read your take on the FK8 if you write one - there's a lot of noise on these to get a good read on long-term ownership thoughts. I get the impression from owners online that they like the car for the hype and style rather than appreciating the car for its abilities.
Been feeling a little burnt out lately, but I have a few write ups planned. One for my latest track experience (lul) and a few for this thread. It'll likely be cross-posted, as I've shared my experiences on my previous vehicles on other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
To be honest for me, all my are at least 20 years old, even a CTR probably seems like a luxury sedan inside to me lol
I can guarantee you.. a shitbox $6500 300K KM E36 M3 has better sound deadening and interior materials than the $55K CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
2003 and 2004 Z4 3.0

-Prices for parts are batshit expensive. (I was useto like 150$ starters, Honda level pricing you know). Amp = 1300$ used, starter 850$ new, used/reman starter 350$, roof motor, 950$ new. BMW and Mercedes are rich people cars.
If you know where to look, BMW parts can be found for cheaper than Honda parts. One of the things I hate about Hondas (new to this experience) is that every part is Genuine Honda only. It's nearly impossible to find an OE alternative, whereas for BMW it is very easy to find - punch in the PN in google.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2023, 09:51 PM   #128
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 232 Posts
Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
2 very similar cars
2008 evox 5 speed and 2016 sti 6 speed

sti:
had much nicer material for the interior. it was well laid out and a overall better daily
6 speed on the sti was nice and smooth and sitting at a lower rpm on long trips is a bonus
driving position is a lot better i guess i just prefer a telescoping steering wheel
gotta give handling to the sti too. lighter car, rwd bias, lower center of gravity. quicker steering response

evo:
it does everything the sti can, but less refined... but it is a older car.
i did find the shifting in the evo is less precise and it grinds easily. very common on the the gsr.

red kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:36 AM   #129
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,136 Times in 3,626 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
wowowow Rally twins !!! im surprised how similar these two look.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #130

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,288 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Holy shit, the list of repairs looks like a snuff film. I honestly don’t know how yray puts up with his.
I have become one with the car, that's how I keep ahead of repairs

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2023, 08:44 PM   #131

Quote:
wowowow Rally twins !!! im surprised how similar these two look.
yes! but imo the evo looks much nicer. i dont like how the va sti doesnt have wider fenders to differentiate itself from the wrx. the evo could easily fit 10.5s with 295 while the sti requires more work to fit 275
Old 10-10-2023, 09:34 PM   #132
I don't get it

Failed 65 Times in 7 Posts

Man I loved my Evo X when it worked. Track day with garbage all season tires on RPF1s. I miss that car the most, too bad I had to sell it to go back to school.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:26 PM   #133

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,579 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Would I buy one again?
-Oh hell yes, if I did not find my current C7, I was heavily considering a Z4M convertible at the time. Maybe one day......
-Someone on here has a Z4M, they should relay their experience with it.
I found a Z4M Roadster in Interlagos Blue for $39K landed.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #134
I STILL don't get it

Failed 8 Times in 7 Posts
I also had a 2008 Evo X. Mine was a GSR with the SSS package (sight [lights], sound, spoiler) and the factory aero upgrade.

Liked:
  • Suspension was very good stock. Probably not good enough out of the box to be a track only car, but it was perfect for the road. Firm, but took the hits very well.
  • Grip was great, especially in the snow. The whole active yaw system worked very well and you could feel it pinching the brakes to pull the car around on slippery surfaces. It would be a great first high powered car.
  • Recaro seats in the front are still my favorite ever seats.
  • Sound system was great.
  • Didn't use much gas really
  • A big 4wd drift -
  • With a T1R exhaust it sounded bad ass, and a cone filter also made the re-circ valve loud. It was hard not to love that.
  • edit: Almost forgot, the initial turn in is very sharp. It really feels like you can dive into the corners.

Didn't like:
  • Starting from stop always felt You either dump the clutch, or you chug until you get a little bit of boost.
  • Couldn't fold down rear seats. So I had to put my skis/showboard in the back seat or get a rack. I hated that.
  • When I was really pushing it on corners I kept feeling like this thing was going to suddenly snap under-steer.
  • Paint was cheap
  • It always felt like some cheap part was going to snap or blow up.
  • Every passenger stepped on the side skirts getting out and I was worried they would break off.
  • Really needed a 6th gear.

This was my first newish car ever (in 2010) and I sold my MKIV Supra TT to buy it. That was dumb, and I never felt the same about my Evo as I did my Supra so after 4 years it had to go.

Last edited by Dbone; 10-11-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:05 AM   #135
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Is there a cross bar at the back?
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:10 AM   #136
I STILL don't get it

I don't remember there being one. Thinking about it, there might have been a pass through, but I couldn't fit my snowboard through it and if I wanted to take skis then I would have to take it out of the bag because the bag wouldn't fit either.

Last edited by Dbone; 10-11-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:21 AM   #137

did any of these Evo's actually break? like left you guy stranded or was it just it felt cheap?

Im always wondering why there isnt any evo x's around anymore.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:45 AM   #138

Snap understeer? I didn't know that's a thing.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:57 AM   #139
I don't get it

Failed 65 Times in 7 Posts
Mine was on some Tein coilovers. You basically paid 40k for the engine, AWD magic drivetrain, and recaro seats and everything else was free.

Mine had some sort of boost issue so it didn't run as well near red line. The other magazine reviewers were right a out the car. It's really a mini GTR. The way the SAWC system pulls you out of corners is amazing. Last corner in Mission, after the chicane, can be done full throttle.

No understeer for me but mine was modified.

I really want to try the GR Corolla and see if it comes close to the Evo X.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2023, 11:58 AM   #140
I STILL don't get it

I don't think it is the wrong term.. I was once in a Porsche as a passenger and we were turning left with a slight slide and suddenly it snapped right and spun out. It wasn't the typical over correction of lock.

So with the Evo, as you were balancing it around the corner with the throttle it felt like the car was just loading up to snap into the turn. Probably just something you can fix by a geometry tweak of some sort.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:14 PM   #141

That's the first time i've heard of something like that but Google says it's a thing.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:28 PM   #142
RabidMod

Thanked 1,343 Times in 484 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I don't think it is the wrong term.. I was once in a Porsche as a passenger and we were turning left with a slight slide and suddenly it snapped right and spun out. It wasn't the typical over correction of lock.

So with the Evo, as you were balancing it around the corner with the throttle it felt like the car was just loading up to snap into the turn. Probably just something you can fix by a geometry tweak of some sort.
This is triggering flashbacks to my '86 MR2, which would snap oversteer into corners, then snap understeer out of corners. Sometimes both at the same time. Always snap something.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:39 PM   #143

Quote:
did any of these Evo's actually break? like left you guy stranded or was it just it felt cheap?

Im always wondering why there isnt any evo x's around anymore.
i had zero problems during my 3 year ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
With a T1R exhaust it sounded bad ass, and a cone filter also made the re-circ valve loud. It was hard not to love that.
cant argue with that!
greddy exhaust, hks bov, arc intake... made all the right ricey noises

Old 10-16-2023, 09:39 PM   #144
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
2004 Honda Civic SE (ES1)

(Somehow this turned out to be much longer than I had anticipated... )

Back in 2010, somehow I came to the conclusion that I needed a more practical vehicle than my Miata, but I didn't really want to spend a lot of money. So I went out to look for a beater, mostly focusing on different variants and generations of Civic / Integra. Originally, I really wanted to pick up an EG or EK Civic. But nearly all EG / EK within my budget was either pretty beat up, or suffering from varying degrees of rust cancer, so I began looking into the slightly newer ES Civics as well.

As I started researching into the car, it turned out that the early model years (01 - 03) were giant pieces of turd, with Honda seriously dropping the ball on a large number of normal everyday reliability aspects. But then with the 04 - 05 facelift, they actually fixed up all the reliability issues, and that is the car I ended up with -- a 04 facelifted 4-door ES1 car. It was the SE model, which basically meant it was the base stripper DX model (complete with manual crank windows!), but with A/C and a factory CD player already installed when they are optional equipment in the DX, plus a faux ground effects / body kit that made it looks more "sporty". I actually liked the car being a stripper model because it meant it was lighter than the higher trim models -- I think it was only in the high 2300 to low 2400 lbs range. The only thing I wished it had was ABS.

Drivetrain
Spoiler!

Handling
Spoiler!

Practicality
Spoiler!

Reliability
Spoiler!

Final Words

The 7th gen Civic gets a bad name from the casual car enthusiast community. Part of it came from the failures of the early model year cars, but I'd say a good chuck of it also came from people just being armchair experts as opposed to having actual real life experience with the car. Speaking from first hand experience, I'd say the facelifted cars were fantastic in a very utilitarian way -- it wasn't a thoroughbred, and shouldn't be expected to perform like one just because its prececessor had elements of it. Instead, the car was an ultra reliable and willing workhorse. It was always there; it was not picky, and things always just worked. It was already punching way above its weight class, and shouldn't be criticized for being something it wasn't. I wish I had bought one since new (but not the 01-03 model).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:25 AM   #145

I don’t know where to start.
1) great and comprehensive review
2) extra points for reviewing a base model civic. Extra extra points for tracking said civic.
3) you probably got more fun out of that thing then anyone else who’s ever owned a civic se

This is the epitome of a good beater car.

P.s did you guys ever have any problems with dating and your cars ?
When I drove my dads Sentra xe (same as basically a civic dx) this girl I was dating in langara commented it was the ugliest thing she’s ever seen (gold with a tan cloth interior). This honger bitch drive a base model CRV in that British racing green so im not sure if she had any rights to comment on my car.

But anyways I did end up with this insecurity that to get hot chicks you need hot cars. Of course then I got spy balloon and ended up buying a shit ton of corollas….. so I guess it only mattered for a few years in my early 20s

Last edited by Badhobz; 10-17-2023 at 06:26 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #146
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Have I mentioned on RS before about the time when I took a girl out on a first date in my Miata? I have just installed some super stiff metal-polyurethane engine mounts into the Miata, so she was buzzing and vibrating like a mofo whenever the car idled, and it was still really loud (and buzzing & vibrating) when the car was moving LOL~

I dunno WTF I was thinking at the time... but I still ended up dating the girl for a good 1/2 year or so. But after that first date, I always drove the girl in the beater Civic I wrote above lol~

I also went on lots of dates and trips with le wifey, both before and after she became le wifey, and she never had a problem with the Civic being a beater. But that's why she is a keeper.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 09:25 AM   #147

vat!? i thought she would like all the buzzing and vibrating trolololol
Old 10-17-2023, 09:49 AM   #148

Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,312 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
I don’t know where to start.
1) great and comprehensive review
2) extra points for reviewing a base model civic. Extra extra points for tracking said civic.
3) you probably got more fun out of that thing then anyone else who’s ever owned a civic se

This is the epitome of a good beater car.

P.s did you guys ever have any problems with dating and your cars ?
When I drove my dads Sentra xe (same as basically a civic dx) this girl I was dating in langara commented it was the ugliest thing she’s ever seen (gold with a tan cloth interior). This honger bitch drive a base model CRV in that British racing green so im not sure if she had any rights to comment on my car.

But anyways I did end up with this insecurity that to get hot chicks you need hot cars. Of course then I got spy balloon and ended up buying a shit ton of corollas….. so I guess it only mattered for a few years in my early 20s
I'd say a dark green CRV has your shitty Sentra beat in terms of looks, especially if you had a gold B14 Sentra......
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 10:16 AM   #149

WTF how dare you

next time i see you, im going to stick an AMG badge on your c63

AND ITS B15 Sentra THANK YOU VERY MUCH
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 10:42 AM   #150