REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #351
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,942 Times in 5,653 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Seeing as we live in a democracy, and how the next election will likely he largely impacted on getting rid of the carbon tax, which directly effects Canadians, don’t see why they wouldn’t also poll the idea of cutting funding for foreign wars.

I think it’s pretty safe to say Canada as a whole would unanimously support cutting this steady flow of cash to them. Yes I get the political games that have to be played in the background, but I’m sure there are more than enough examples within Europe who aren’t “pulling their weight” with similar or greater populations, and far more to lose if Russia was to succeed.

Eventually we have to stop playing these games about being the global good guy and bring shit back home. This isn’t some crazy right wing isolationist mentality, it’s just looking at the state we are in in Canada and how far the type of money we are handing out would go to fix our own issues.
You do realize that Canada's annual budget is somewhere in the $200 Billion dollar range right?

So even with what's been spent on Ukraine since the conflict started AND what's promised to them for the next year or so... it amounts to 2% of our annual spend.

TWO percent.
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 01:05 PM   #352
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,650 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
You are absolutely correct about the relative size of our financial support to Ukraine, but just since when have voters acted rationally on any particular issue?

If we had rational voters in Canada, BC wouldn't have voted the HST away; Crusty Clark would have had a much shorter stint as premier; Alberta wouldn't have voted Danielle Smith in, and Onterrible wouldn't have given Doug Ford a 2nd term.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 01:37 PM   #353
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,967 Times in 7,413 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Why are conservatives so excited about upping our spending on defence to protect us but so against spending on military action in other countries to protect us?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #354
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,215 Times in 8,402 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Why are conservatives so excited about upping our spending on defence to protect us but so against spending on military action in other countries to protect us?
Short sighted NIMBY mentality
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #355

I don't even think it's that thought out. It's literally just regurgitating anger from the political party they like more.
This is why democracy isn't working. People aren't interested in looking at things objectively. It just other party bad me party good.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #356

Thanked 4,948 Times in 1,820 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Lack the cognitive capability to recognize the link that it's actually protecting us?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #357
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,332 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Seeing as we live in a democracy, and how the next election will likely he largely impacted on getting rid of the carbon tax, which directly effects Canadians, don’t see why they wouldn’t also poll the idea of cutting funding for foreign wars.

I think it’s pretty safe to say Canada as a whole would unanimously support cutting this steady flow of cash to them. Yes I get the political games that have to be played in the background, but I’m sure there are more than enough examples within Europe who aren’t “pulling their weight” with similar or greater populations, and far more to lose if Russia was to succeed.

Eventually we have to stop playing these games about being the global good guy and bring shit back home. This isn’t some crazy right wing isolationist mentality, it’s just looking at the state we are in in Canada and how far the type of money we are handing out would go to fix our own issues.
You are overestimating how much people care about the aid given out, and the amount of ppl that are actually for it. Typically speaking there's confirmation bias because of the people you hang out with or you work with.

There's lots of noise about asking for a ceasefire or at least humanitarian pause, that I hear a lot more about.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:21 PM   #358

Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,006 Posts
Failed 194 Times in 120 Posts
Clearly Taylor Swift is > money for Palestine, make sure you get your tickets.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:45 PM   #359
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,852 Times in 5,909 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
You do realize that Canada's annual budget is somewhere in the $200 Billion dollar range right?

So even with what's been spent on Ukraine since the conflict started AND what's promised to them for the next year or so... it amounts to 2% of our annual spend.

TWO percent.
That’s quite a bit for a country on the other side of the world

This link has a chart laying out contributions from all countries:

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-a...pport-tracker/

Why is Canada contributing SUBSTANTIALLY more than a country like Italy? Similar GDP, Italy has a larger population, etc etc.

There are plenty of comparables with similar situations.

I’ve yet to see a reason to justify this amount of spending relative to countries that are actually effected by this conflict other than “because we should”
Old 11-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #360
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,268 Times in 4,036 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
But Russia isn't really on the other side of the world, from some angles it's pretty close to us

Which is why every so often we have to send jets to go tell their jets to get out of our airspace.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 04:42 PM   #361
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,218 Times in 3,665 Posts
Failed 470 Times in 235 Posts
Canaduh: get outta my house!!!!

RUSKIES: нет (nyet)
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:59 PM   #362
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Russia vs Canada

Spoiler!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 05:24 PM   #363

Russia is actually one of the, if not the largest threat to our arctic regions, so yeah, it's not necessarily about helping our friends halfway across the world against someone else halfway across the world, it's about helping them fight off one of our biggest adversaries.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2023, 05:28 PM   #364

Thanked 5,219 Times in 1,983 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Westopher is right, people don't even know wtf they want, it's all along party lines nowadays.

To Trump's credit, he's created this new-age group of conservatives, people like Honda, for example. These guys don't want aid going to Ukraine, they don't want us meddling in foreign affairs, but do they feel the same about sending aid to Israel? They seem fine with that, so it makes me wonder they care more about aid to Ukraine because they lionize an authoritarian like Putin? This whole tough guy, ultra Christian façade he puts on?

It's all quite confusing.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:39 AM   #365

Lol I’d way rather aid to go Ukraine than Israel!

My point is, we have these high horse announcements from the govt, 250 million for housing! To build.. 200 homes!!!

The total amount of money given to build housing with a record number of homeless people alongside record number of new immigrants is like, less than 10% of the aid given to Ukraine.

You can spin it in this way that oh it all works out in the end, but it very clearly hasn’t been with this attitude of just throwing money at everything.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:31 AM   #366

Ah like the Canada logic, if you buy and give them clean drugs there's gonna be less ppl doing and dying from drugs, cuz they don't have to be embarrassed they are crack heads.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:02 AM   #367
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,942 Times in 5,653 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
That's what governments do. They fund initiatives/plans. And then everyone who is an expert of all the mitigating factors involved in a particular issue after reading 1 article on it points out obvious (to them) flaws in the plan and pontificates about how they would have done it better because it's so simple and the government is just dumb.

Rinse and repeat since like... the dawn of governments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Ah like the Canada logic, if you buy and give them clean drugs there's gonna be less ppl doing and dying from drugs, cuz they don't have to be embarrassed they are crack heads.
Though they are better than this guy's useless posts in every thread.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 08:04 AM   #368
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,315 Times in 2,073 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
They need to stop $$ into clean drugs supply and put it into rehab - beds or spaces for addictions recovery. Even I know that.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #369

The money given to Ukraine would have been able to solve homelessness in both Vancouver and Toronto. Could have built enough housing and funded enough programs to, at the very least, put a hugeeee dent in it.

But I feel like these problems are like curing cancer, there’s no will to actually fix the issue because govt. and private industry scratch each others back on back alley deals. See: social housing embezzlement/misappropriation locally here.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #370
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,385 Times in 999 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
getting drafted??? wow i haven't LOL-ed so hard. Maybe WW3 of it happening....
I can't even seen an actual war happening where we have to send troops.
When was the last time we had to even send our army / reserves to protect canada?

maybe fires? floods in the martimes.... but tha'ts about it. SENDING aids.. for sure 100% that's the easy way out but i still don't see why. Sending = increase spending in army / defence = increase GDP due to military spending.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 09:07 AM   #371
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,218 Times in 3,665 Posts
Failed 470 Times in 235 Posts
dont draft me bro! im too tall and fat, dem ruskies gonna blow me up first.

Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 09:33 AM   #372

Thanked 6,739 Times in 1,637 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
The money given to Ukraine would have been able to solve homelessness in both Vancouver and Toronto. Could have built enough housing and funded enough programs to, at the very least, put a hugeeee dent in it.

But I feel like these problems are like curing cancer, there’s no will to actually fix the issue because govt. and private industry scratch each others back on back alley deals. See: social housing embezzlement/misappropriation locally here.
My guy, your logic is literally all over the place, at best of times.

"Liberals throw money at things to pretend to fix problems but don't actually do anything" - Hondaracer
"Liberals can fix a decades long socio-economic problem by throwing money at it, but they won't because they're funding wars across the world!" - Also Hondaracer
"Trudeau doesn't care about Canadians and defending Canada" - Also also Hondaracer.

You honestly think the homeless population in Vancouver and Toronto will magically disappear if suddenly they were all housed and everything will be solved?

Completely unrelated, some dunce city spokeswoman was on the radio the other day said something stupid on the lines of "if the Government doesn't give us more funding for projects, we may be forced to pass it on to the taxpayers".

Like bitch, where do you think the Government gets their money from??
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 09:39 AM   #373

Thanked 5,219 Times in 1,983 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I think people miss the primary reasoning behind this drug epidemic and homelessness, and that's affordability, full stop.

It's odd how people seem to have this cognitive dissonance to what is going on around them. Rent prices throughout North America (most notably on the coasts) are at the highest levels proportion to income we've ever seen. We live in a fish bowl on this forum, but people are struggling out there, big time.

This is why you're seeing what you're seeing. We can talk about drug policies, we can talk about rehabilitation, but the disparity factor is one that seriously need to be addressed as that is the root of much of the problem.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #374

10 billion dollars goes a long way.

The brand new St.Paul’s hospital is going to cost 2, a site that spans 18 acres.

When you actually focus on fixing a problem, you could fix it. Simply throwing money at something without a plan clearly doesn’t work, with endless examples from the current govt.

Will there ever be an audit on where all this Ukraine money actually went? Or it’s just into a general pool that no one will ever be able to track?

It’s too much to ask for any kind of accountability anymore.

Every govt. is the same, it’s not just the current liberals albeit they seem particularly bad at it. Everyone just wastes so much money on beaucracy and BS and nothing ever changes
Old 11-10-2023, 10:16 AM   #375

But hey democracy #1, rights and freedoms my guy. make Canada great again!