REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #526
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
With 12% of all vehicles registed vehicles in BC being RV's, it's a pretty big "Niche" lol.
% excluding sprinters/truck campers?

actual towing, and that % in the lower mainland year-round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why do people keep listing oil changes and filling up as being SO painful... going somewhere once a year for 30 minutes (or twice if you're weirdly anal about the 6 month thing) to change oil is that hard???

Stopping for 5 minutes at a gas station is so terrible?

Jesus... that's some soft ass mentality if that's the kind of stuff that's pissing in your cornflakes lol
people just like to get away from the idea of maintenance if they can?

ie: LG tech asked me when was the last time i took the top panel off my dryer (those euro/asian-style combi) to clean lint i asked if i did near-perfect maintenance would i get more than the average 8 modern years, answer is no so i'm not wasting energy on something not easily owner-serviceable

we love cars so it's not an appliance to us, but it is for the everyman

and while the current pricing is palatable, it IS painful at 2.4$/L for most ICE owners

id also imagine it'd be a luxury to not be dependent on a market with a saudi stranglehold when we already have abundant local resources
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:02 AM   #527
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
I work as a fleet manager and TPMS has to be one of the worst inventions ever made for cars lolol
TPMS sensors go bad which is an whole other BS on to itself. The one on my X3 went bad and it was warranteed. The sensors were out of stock and I had to go back. Yes I know snowflake
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #528
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Why do people keep listing oil changes and filling up as being SO painful... going somewhere once a year for 30 minutes (or twice if you're weirdly anal about the 6 month thing) to change oil is that hard???

Stopping for 5 minutes at a gas station is so terrible?

Jesus... that's some soft ass mentality if that's the kind of stuff that's pissing in your cornflakes lol
i purposely went out of my way to do my own oil changes ever since the dealership overfilled the oil on the ratrolla. Its not an inconvenience to me, i rather enjoy doing them now. Ive done it so many times now that its second nature.

the weird thing are the OEM blue crush washers for the drainplug. The fuck, they are like 1 dollar each.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:20 AM   #529

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
i purposely went out of my way to do my own oil changes ever since the dealership overfilled the oil on the ratrolla. Its not an inconvenience to me, i rather enjoy doing them now. Ive done it so many times now that its second nature.

the weird thing are the OEM blue crush washers for the drainplug. The fuck, they are like 1 dollar each.
haha +1 on the blue crush washer, same thing for my 2GR Rav4.

I had to do it myself for the first time in a long time when the last oil change they did something and caused a VVTI rattle that I posted a thread about. Changed the oil myself and it was gone.

That said, minor benefit of going to shop/dealer for oil change is they'll get it on the hoist and do an inspection for other things and maybe catch something before it gets more serious.

I might do every other oil change myself assuming they don't fuck up again.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:23 AM   #530

Im 99999% sure those dealership guys just look it over visually and all done within like 10 seconds.

When I’m underneath the car I always take a look at bushings and control arms. If I see anything leaking or broken then I can address it. But I’m certain those dealership guys just give it a quick visual and that’s it. Same with leaks or drips. If the undercarriage is dry then everything is okay.

And fuck those guys for torquing on that oil filter with an impact wrench or something. The fact that I had to use a breaker bar to remove the oil filter is bullshit. So not professional.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #531

They at least have a checklist to go thru.

Autowest BMW's service is actually pretty sweet, they record the inspection on their phones and sends it to my account to watch later, even if everything is in good shape.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 12-15-2023, 09:37 AM   #532
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,188 Times in 241 Posts
Failed 326 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:

Only 1 dollar? My mazda dealer charged me $2.23 for a crush washer
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #533
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
They at least have a checklist to go thru.

Autowest BMW's service is actually pretty sweet, they record the inspection on their phones and sends it to my account to watch later, even if everything is in good shape.
That's pretty amazing, if you have an out of warranty BMW you can literally watch them fuck you.. practically POV raping of your own wallet lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #534
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I might do every other oil change myself assuming they don't fuck up again.
That's what I do with our Rav4. It doesn't get driven much so every other year I'll have them do the oil change just to give the rest a once over. But now that you mention it I'm pretty sure ours only had the rattle after dealer changes too.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:05 AM   #535
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The way EV cars are now there will never be a big supply in that price range since it seems like 7-8 years is when the 30k battery replacements come up. They tend to depreciate until about 20k sit there for a while then hit -$500 overnight lol.
I'm sure that will change in the next 10 years though.
This is a big misinformation about EV. While some early BEVs with small batteries do suffer quite a bit in term of usage life, new BEVs that you can buy today have far larger batteries and better BMS that the batteries are more likely to outlast the vehicle. There's no such thing as a battery pack that requires replacement at 7-8yr.

Tesla's current fleet, depending on models, have batteries designed to last anywhere between 350k and 600k km. With the Cybertruck's battery to last 1M+. I had a 2016 Model X with nearly 180k and still does 90%+ of the original mileage on a full charge. And they don't just die when reaching that kind of mileage. It just doesn't perform the same/below certain threshold.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:25 AM   #536
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
What does range look like on your model X at 90%?
Old 12-15-2023, 10:26 AM   #537

Quote:
That's pretty amazing, if you have an out of warranty BMW you can literally watch them fuck you.. practically POV raping of your own wallet lol
Lol I guess you could see it that way.

I appreciate it coz ultimately I can decide the severity of the issue and decide where I want to go have it fixed. And if they're incentivized to point out every minor issue, I would rather know for myself than not.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 12-15-2023, 10:51 AM   #538
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
This is a big misinformation about EV. While some early BEVs with small batteries do suffer quite a bit in term of usage life, new BEVs that you can buy today have far larger batteries and better BMS that the batteries are more likely to outlast the vehicle. There's no such thing as a battery pack that requires replacement at 7-8yr.

Tesla's current fleet, depending on models, have batteries designed to last anywhere between 350k and 600k km. With the Cybertruck's battery to last 1M+. I had a 2016 Model X with nearly 180k and still does 90%+ of the original mileage on a full charge. And they don't just die when reaching that kind of mileage. It just doesn't perform the same/below certain threshold.
If it's misinformation why are we literally seeing it happen?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #539

Cybertruck has been out for half a minute, claiming it can last 1M miles in real world is perhaps too early lol
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 11:15 AM   #540

Not just that, claiming other tesla current models to run 350 to 600k out of thin air is pretty laughable
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 11:46 AM   #541
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
Not just that, claiming other tesla current models to run 350 to 600k out of thin air is pretty laughable
It's all a calculation of how many cycles those batteries are designed to go through in its lifetime. Then multiply by the amount of mileage per kwh.

Yes, real-world mileage might vary. But that's what the batteries are designed for. How close it really ends up doing doesn't matter. The more important question is... let's suppose that the 1M batteries sucked and only achieve 50% of it.

How many here on RS actually have a car that's over 500k in mileage? And to be perfectly comparable, how many of those cars that actually did 500k without some serious parts replacements on things like engine/transmission... etc?

Last time I checked... even Lexus/Toyota, their engine/transmission replacements are north of 12k for parts and labor. Way more if you want brand new engine, if you can source one. Even just gasket/seal/belts replacements that are "recommended services" for anything beyond 240k are over 3k everything in.

Those are stealership price. Yes. But the idea is that maintaining an ICE car to go anything beyond 240k isn't a cheap endeavor. More often than not, when you hit the point where the engine gone kaput. It's cheaper to just buy another car than having the engine replaced.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #542

but established teslas run on panasonic

the in-house tesla batteries in the CT could be 120% expected life or 15%, the variability is anyone's guess
Old 12-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #543
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Those are stealership price. Yes. But the idea is that maintaining an ICE car to go anything beyond 240k isn't a cheap endeavor. More often than not, when you hit the point where the engine gone kaput. It's cheaper to just buy another car than having the engine replaced.
Naturally it's all anecdotal, but I personally have at least 700,000kms worth of driving on 2 Toyotas and 2 Lexuseses... and I've never ever done major work to an engine. Timing belt + water pump x 3 at a total cost of maybe $2,000 cuz I was lazy and didn't want to do it myself.

I wouldn't say the same for a Dodge or Ford though, but you did mention Lexus so I think it's fair game.

If for some crazy reason after 20 years the engine on my IS300 died tomorrow, I could find a 2JZGE pretty easily for $1,500 and throw it in for about $700 labour? $2,200 is a lot cheaper than buying a new car? It's not even the freight+PDI cost on a new car.

Plus, I'd be recycling
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:29 PM   #544

^^ an EV can go a million miles. CAN. just like an ICE can as well.

Some far better than others

https://www.motortrend.com/news/here...v-reliability/

"As InsideEVs notes, early Model S cars, including the 2014 year, commonly had reliability issues with the rear motor units and even their replacement units, which impacted this example as well, and the owner claims the rear motor unit on this one has been replaced a whopping 13 times (an average of 84,285 miles per motor including the current one, though we hope reliability has improved in recent years). The battery pack has faired much better, only being replaced three times so far, for an average of around 300,000 miles per pack, which seems pretty solid."

price of a rear drive unit motor is ~10k USD x 13 so 130k worth of rear drive motors alone and 3x battery packs (around 13-20k each)

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...rge%20resistor.

=======================

its not all maintenance free or dead reliable. kinda luck of the draw. Ask Dark about his EV ownership experience so far hahahah
Old 12-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #545
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Naturally it's all anecdotal, but I personally have at least 700,000kms worth of driving on 2 Toyotas and 2 Lexuseses
I haven't put all these miles on myself, but most of the vehicles I've owned have been pretty up there. The highest: 468k - 1987 Celica, 373k - 2000 Grand Cherokee, 313k - 1992 Celica.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:19 AM   #546

Is there a difference in quality between different brand batteries?

A lot of Hyundai EVs are hitting the news with battery failing before 200k km and needing replacement, how is tesla's battery different to make most of them meet their theatrical mileage?

If there is a decent amount of tesla buyers having build quality issues/other misc issues during warranty period, how do you even have faith in their batteries to have good consistent quality? Only time will tell if Tesla is like the Toyota of ICE cars or just another unreliable domestic brand

Last edited by is350; 12-16-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:49 AM   #547
RabidMod

Thanked 1,349 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
Is there a difference in quality between different brand batteries?

A lot of Hyundai EVs are hitting the news with battery failing before 200k km and needing replacement, how is tesla's battery different to make most of them meet their theatrical mileage?

If there is a decent amount of tesla buyers having build quality issues/other misc issues during warranty period, how do you even have faith in their batteries to have good consistent quality? Only time will tell if Tesla is like the Toyota of ICE cars or just another unreliable domestic brand
We really would need the actual stats to know for sure, which would never be available to us, but some possible reasons why failure rates will differ between brands:

It will differ in how battery designers handle environmental conditions: what is each cell being subjected to, thermally (e.g. do you get hotspots? how hot do those get? how quickly could the temperature ramp up/down?). How about mechanical stressors (e.g. how much shock / stress are you subjecting the cells to)? Electrical (e.g. how good is your cell balancing? how hard are you allowing your system to pull charge out, and dumping it in?). There's a lot of variation in how they can design the cooling, control/sensing electronics, structural design of the pack.

It then comes down to experience informing improvements on the battery pack design: you get a lot out of large-scale long-term real-world field data, vs just the usual accelerated life testing. Tesla has a huge head-start on other manufacturers in this regard.

Other manufacturers have a lot more experience in making the rest of the car, so it would make sense to me that Tesla's not there yet wrt door locks failing, seats squeaking, trim rattles, panel gaps gaping, that kinda thing. Point is, I don't think necessarily, problems in the rest of the vehicle are a good proxy for the reliability of the battery. But they could be. Who knows. Need data. Anecdotal evidence sucks. My dad's 2001 Sienna's transmission failed at just 110,000km, right out of warranty SOL. He took great care of that car. Had it serviced every time at Toyota for all the scheduled maintenance. Quoted $3000 to fix. Does that mean Toyotas are unreliable?

Last edited by RabidRat; 12-16-2023 at 02:57 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2023, 05:37 AM   #548

You had me at panel gaps gaping.

Making me hot and bothered now
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2023, 08:32 AM   #549
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
My dad's 2001 Sienna's transmission failed at just 110,000km, right out of warranty SOL. He took great care of that car. Had it serviced every time at Toyota for all the scheduled maintenance. Quoted $3000 to fix. Does that mean Toyotas are unreliable?
Yes they suck. You hear that, Badhobz?!?!?!?!
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:42 AM   #550

Yes how dare you sir. How dare you !!! Sir !!!!
This post thanked by: