REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-13-2024, 05:39 AM   #776
I STILL don't get it

Failed 8 Times in 7 Posts
Monaco is nice, I can't imagine living there unless I was retired though.

Also, you do have to park 500k Euros in their bank while you live there, and if you are still earning they tax 33% of your company's income if the revenue is generated outside of Monaco.
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2024, 07:17 AM   #777
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
https://www.theautopian.com/cybertru...ensive-trucks/

looks like inventory for the fridge is piling up. Especially when its THAT expensive for something that is poorly put together.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 09:39 AM   #778
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I think this is a pretty good representation of the type of attention the CT draws

“Fatty fog vape bars”

Old 08-13-2024, 09:45 AM   #779
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Monaco really is the last option. The only thing about it is that I don't need to worry about finding an affordable housing. I can just go. And the tax treatment is incredible.

When I was there a couple of years ago, it was crazy how expensive it was. I mean, just hop over to Nice, pretty much as nice (no pun intended) but at about half of the price on everything.

A meal at a decent restaurant in Monaco is basically priced at what we have at a $$$ restaurant here, but they are in Euros (20-30s for appies, 50s for main course and 20s for dessert). A latte and some breakfast items at a coffee shop is like 20 euro.

My idea is simple, if I can save 1M over the course of next 10yrs horizon (all cost/saving considered), I'm gone. If not, I stay.

Monaco is amazing in tax saving, but the cost of living will start eating into those savings pretty quickly. Alternatively, I can apply for residence in Monaco and do most of my expenses in the French side of things.

As of right now, it seems like Andorra is the one that achieves the highest savings with similar life-quality comparing to Canada. Nevertheless, it's in a place where pretty much I'd be cut from all my current social circle. With Barcelona being the closest large city, it's still a 3hr trip away and I doubt many of my F&F would ever visit even if they go to Barça.
I'm curious, you said your income is passive income.. which is pretty much the lowest taxable income in Canada. Capital gains is taxed way lower as well and no inheritance tax. Canada sucks you dry if you earn a T4 salary + shitty universal health care is not an issue if you have money, you can go to the mayo clinic or MD anderson for better treatment. Is it worth moving to save 25-30%?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 11:09 AM   #780

^let me eloquently translate what the esteemed nocrew is trying to say

YA DONT WORK ANYWAYS BITCH, da faq you need to move for?! JUST GO ASK Daddy FOR SOME MOAR MONIES and pass around some more 50,000usd in a single red envelope kinda cash and youre golden.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 11:15 AM   #781
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
I'm curious, you said your income is passive income.. which is pretty much the lowest taxable income in Canada. Capital gains is taxed way lower as well and no inheritance tax. Canada sucks you dry if you earn a T4 salary + shitty universal health care is not an issue if you have money, you can go to the mayo clinic or MD anderson for better treatment. Is it worth moving to save 25-30%?
I think a counter argument to anything regarding relocating would be, what’s so great about Canada?
Old 08-13-2024, 11:19 AM   #782

Old 08-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #783
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #784
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I think a counter argument to anything regarding relocating would be, what’s so great about Canada?
He said his friends and family are in North America. Can't move to the US as they tax global income + tax on principal residence over a certain amount + inheritance tax over a certain amount. Vancouver closest major North American city to Asia. Major cities in Can/US are multicultural and inclusive. Don't have to pay for medical insurance. (Europe has public + private insurance) Europeans will tolerate yellows at best, they are not very inclusive. NO T&T groceries in europe la~~~
I'd argue Seattle might be a good choice, no state income tax but high COL and they introduced a capital gains tax that made Jeff Bezos run away to Florida.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 12:53 PM   #785

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
He said his friends and family are in North America. Can't move to the US as they tax global income + tax on principal residence over a certain amount + inheritance tax over a certain amount. Vancouver closest major North American city to Asia. Major cities in Can/US are multicultural and inclusive. Don't have to pay for medical insurance. (Europe has public + private insurance) Europeans will tolerate yellows at best, they are not very inclusive. NO T&T groceries in europe la~~~
I'd argue Seattle might be a good choice, no state income tax but high COL and they introduced a capital gains tax that made Jeff Bezos run away to Florida.
This whole outrage carousel happens every few months here...

1: Canada suxxx fuck trudeau
2: Why don't you leave then
1: You don't think I would, I am already researching immigrating to Portugal, Andorra, Monaco, etc etc etc.

2: So how's your big move going?
1: I would but I realized I would be leaving all my friends and family and they will never visit me... / I would but I realized it's boring AF and I would get tired of eating fried schnitzel and carbs all day. / I would but... but.. but...

1: Canada suxxx fuck trudeau
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 12:58 PM   #786

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Well a few guys on here did put their money where their mouth is. Moving out of Van to Alberta, out of communist bc to yeehaa berta. Land of strong and free and more fitting of cyber trucks.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 01:00 PM   #787
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
I liked the time when somebody called out the fact that it was this shitty country where he was able to be financially secured and then some. I agree with the assessment on the cycle. It's tiring. Either shit or get off the pot.
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 01:07 PM   #788

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Well a few guys on here did put their money where their mouth is. Moving out of Van to Alberta, out of communist bc to yeehaa berta. Land of strong and free and more fitting of cyber trucks.
Best of both worlds, they can still complain about Trudeau
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 01:20 PM   #789
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
I don't know a single person aged 20-50 that has moved out of this country to one that wasn't named "the United States" or had some kind of familial tie to (either Spousal or Ancestral). So yeah...up and leaving to some fantasy Euroland, it's just not done. At least for us 200k plebs

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 01:26 PM   #790
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Best of both worlds, they can still complain about Trudeau
I mean there's a diff between complaining about Trudeau... and wanting PP to take over.

I'm headed to AB in ~3 weeks and would never vote for PP... but I also don't like Trudeau and want him to at the very least step down lol... I'll still vote Liberal party even with him at the helm though because I personally think his own party will force him out at some point if he doesn't leave willingly and the alternative is so much worse for my ideals than just disliking 1 man at the top.

I ain't about to put a F*CK TURD sticker on my car, it's a far more practical civil version of dislike because he's worn out his welcome and is not a good representative for our country anymore.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 01:30 PM   #791
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
The idea of moving is never purely about money. Tax saving is just the cherry on top that I thought I could throw in there.

The idea is first about kids' education.
Here in Canada, kids are taught in a way that we should be complacent to the environment we are in. But is that what I want my kids to be? Nop. I want they to always aim for excellence, seek for improvement and never make do.

Second, with the amount of money I'm spending, say 10k a month, what kind of lifestyle can I get elsewhere?

Here in YVR, I don't live poorly. But when factoring the access to healthcare, and lifestyle, I'm doing no better than my acquaintance spending half of what I do. As a matter of fact, his life quality is quite a bit higher than mine. He has health coverage that does everything on the same day for any test at the best hospital in the country. He's got 2 caregivers who cover 24/7 of any and all chores that they have to do.

First world problem? You bet. But again, I don't think I should conform to my existing situation. If there's a chance of a better life, why not?

My parents moved away from Taiwan because they saw a better opportunity elsewhere. When I came to Canada, I saw that too. And hence I stayed. Now that I'm at a stage where I can see how to go up another level, a level where I can't afford (cost of living) or non-existent (quick access to high level of medical care) in Canada, the question becomes, why wouldn't I do it?
Old 08-13-2024, 01:45 PM   #792

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The idea of moving is never purely about money. Tax saving is just the cherry on top that I thought I could throw in there.

The idea is first about kids' education.
Here in Canada, kids are taught in a way that we should be complacent to the environment we are in. But is that what I want my kids to be? Nop. I want they to always aim for excellence, seek for improvement and never make do.

Second, with the amount of money I'm spending, say 10k a month, what kind of lifestyle can I get elsewhere?

Here in YVR, I don't live poorly. But when factoring the access to healthcare, and lifestyle, I'm doing no better than my acquaintance spending half of what I do. As a matter of fact, his life quality is quite a bit higher than mine. He has health coverage that does everything on the same day for any test at the best hospital in the country. He's got 2 caregivers who cover 24/7 of any and all chores that they have to do.

First world problem? You bet. But again, I don't think I should conform to my existing situation. If there's a chance of a better life, why not?

My parents moved away from Taiwan because they saw a better opportunity elsewhere. When I came to Canada, I saw that too. And hence I stayed. Now that I'm at a stage where I can see how to go up another level, a level where I can't afford (cost of living) or non-existent (quick access to high level of medical care) in Canada, the question becomes, why wouldn't I do it?
First, I think we are in the wrong thread

Regarding the kids thing, every country is going to have their pros and cons with edumacation, you can very well send them to a private school of your choosing that provides the ideals that you like. There's literally dozens of private schools across the lower mainland, and then direct them to apply to the post secondary institute that you prefer (though at that stage they may have their own ideas). Ultimately the post secondary choices are probably going to boil down the the similar ones no matter where you end up living.

Regarding QoL. You have the benefit in that your income is passive, but how well would it survive the test of time? Part of the reason I think your parents came to Canada was for a stronger ability to earn and save and create generational wealth. A lot of these other places aren't going to be conducive of those actions, except maybe Monaco, but you pay for the priviledge like you've outlined. Monaco in some ways is very similar to Vegas, the glamour and glitz of the strip, propped up by the much poorer neighbourhoods outside of the glowing facade.

You can have a much better life here or the states, it'll just cost you, just like in Monaco. I agree the taxes honestly isn't that big of a draw. At the income levels you purport to be at and the kind of taxes you pay, it matters, but not as much as other's make it out to be.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 04:01 PM   #793
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
A beer does not cost $30. (Monaco)
I can walk around with a cell phone in my hand (costa rica)
Don't have leave the country to go to an airport (Andorra)
Old 08-13-2024, 04:12 PM   #794

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
A beer does not cost $30. (Monaco)
I can walk around with a cell phone in my hand (costa rica)
Don't have leave the country to go to an airport (Andorra)
So I feel like I missed out on Monaco when I was in the French Riveria doing my Euro delivery. But it almost feels like it might be a blessing in disguise.

I never felt like things were uber expensive in the few cities/towns(Avignon, Nice, Menton) I was at and we enjoyed ourselves just walking into whichever Michelin guide recommended restaraunt we saw that would take us without a reso.

I got thumbs up from hot chicks for my M3 (M3s are relatively rare outside of the Ring and Munich due to the way things are taxed).

And driving into Monaco in a M3 seems like a surefire way to make myself look like an idiot trying to pretend
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 05:12 PM   #795
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
I'm a cook and my wife's a nurse and I've got a place I love, I'm not scared to go out at night and I can afford a nice place and nice cars and to go on vacation when I want.
My grandpas cancer treatment has been second to none and he's still alive at 87 because of it. I eat healthy, have access to a good music scene, some of the most beautiful places in the world are a short drive or even a walk away. I can snowboard 30 days a season, I work 4 days a week, get a month vacation, don't assume my neighbour has a gun in his pocket.
I don't know? If that all sucks it sounds like a you problem? Are there better places or improvements that can be made? Absofuckinloutely, but if you really think it sucks here, it's an issue with how you look at the world. Honestly you should consider therapy, and I don't mean that as a dig. It helps a lot when it comes to perspective.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 08-13-2024 at 05:18 PM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 09:04 PM   #796
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 23 Times in 12 Posts
Isn't Canada top 5 in the world for education? Fact Canadians are more educated than our American friends. They still think we live in Igloos lol. Only place that might be better are Sweden and Finland. They get post secondary free. Although taxes are a lot higher.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 09:20 PM   #797
I don't get it

Failed 65 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm a cook and my wife's a nurse and I've got a place I love, I'm not scared to go out at night and I can afford a nice place and nice cars and to go on vacation when I want.
My grandpas cancer treatment has been second to none and he's still alive at 87 because of it. I eat healthy, have access to a good music scene, some of the most beautiful places in the world are a short drive or even a walk away. I can snowboard 30 days a season, I work 4 days a week, get a month vacation, don't assume my neighbour has a gun in his pocket.
I don't know? If that all sucks it sounds like a you problem? Are there better places or improvements that can be made? Absofuckinloutely, but if you really think it sucks here, it's an issue with how you look at the world. Honestly you should consider therapy, and I don't mean that as a dig. It helps a lot when it comes to perspective.
Damn straight Westopher! I'm not sure how anyone can visit other parts of the world and not come back to Vancouver and think "I'm glad to be home". Yeah, the rat race sucks here but it's the same shit everywhere else. Air is high quality when not polluted from wildfires. Water here tastes great straight outta the tap and even better when filtered or boiled . Take that shitty tasting expensive euro water.

At least we have some of the best selection AND quality of Asian food. Where else can you find a melting pot of so many cultures bringing some of the best things they have to offer?

Hehe, you mention about the kids education and how our education system isn't good enough for them because we have a complacent system. Sorry bud but don't blame the educators. It's their job is to teach and transfer knowledge. We hear/read about what you think as an adult but what was the conversation like with the kids?

The attitude of "aim for excellence, seek for improvement and never make do" should be taught and enforced at home. It starts with the parents and their actions.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 09:31 PM   #798
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Isn't Canada top 5 in the world for education? Fact Canadians are more educated than our American friends. They still think we live in Igloos lol. Only place that might be better are Sweden and Finland. They get post secondary free. Although taxes are a lot higher.
Fun anecdotal fact: My cousins in the US still have no idea I live in Toronto, despite having visiting them many times, telling them I'm flying in from Toronto to Los Angeles. And they don't know where Toronto is on a map. They can barely find Vancouver as it is.

I learned my uncle flew in to Toronto earlier today to visit some friends. He had no idea he was in Canada. FFS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 08:01 AM   #799
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
I just realized this is the Tesla CT thread, how did hehe's hijinks leak into here?

Ah right,
Tesla > Elon > Elon Fanboys > Hehe > Muh Edumacation

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2024, 08:07 AM   #800

^as an Elon zealot, he will staunchly defend any product made by Tesla even if it has the practicality and build quality of a fever dream manifested into reality

Model S - decent in execution and design. I think this is before elon started going nuts so it had even a decent interior and normal functionality

Model X - retard had to implement those rear falcon doors that does absolutely nothing and only adds complexity and headache for owners

Model 3 / Y - relatively sane in their previous guise. The new highland without the turn signal stalks is once again pointlessly stupid.

Cybertrunk - full wtf mode. truck bed is stupid, the design is stupid, that wiper is stupid, price is stupid, stainless steel is stupid, etc etc.
This post thanked by: