REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-29-2024, 05:43 PM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Crazy back to back for Cheung Ka Long! It's also crazy that a gold medal win for HK athletes gives them a bonus of $6,000,000 HKD which is just slightly over 1 mil CAD
It's crazy because they don't have the support programs they have in China... The funding and everything is separate, so being in the top 10 several days in is crazy impressive (not that it will finish that way)

Look at all the expected countries in the top 10, and there's Hong Kong

Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 06:11 PM   #27
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,214 Times in 2,290 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
for what it's worth,

while China has national funding, it doesn't equal to the best training, where as some of these HK athletes are getting actual world class training and heavy corporate sponsors.

I think Sioban Haughey trains with the worlds best already being a product of Michigan Wolverines, the same people that trained Michael Phelps.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 08:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
for what it's worth,

while China has national funding, it doesn't equal to the best training, where as some of these HK athletes are getting actual world class training and heavy corporate sponsors.

I think Sioban Haughey trains with the worlds best already being a product of Michigan Wolverines, the same people that trained Michael Phelps.
Yeah and clearly their fencing program is top notch as well. I am curious to see how indoor cycling goes, now that Sarah Lee has retired. She's a legend and I wonder if the next class can take it from there
Old 07-30-2024, 06:22 AM   #29

Canada beats Australia in Rugby 7s and will play for gold against New Zealand! Awesome game
Old 07-30-2024, 12:36 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,757 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Canada wins the silver medal in the women's rugby 7 final. Gold for New Zealand.

Team Canada is undefeated in men's basketball. Good win over Australia.

I am hoping that Canada has a chance to play the Americans. A great test to see how the Canadian team measures up against the Dream Team.

Canada has arguably the best backcourt with Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Jamal Murray. RJ Barrett is playing well.

As usual, Team USA is stacked with NBA stars. Kevin Durant only played limited minutes in USA's 110-84 win over Serbia.

KD had 21 points. 8 for 8 shooting. 3 for 3 for 3 pointers. Crazy efficient offence from KD.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:06 PM   #31
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,214 Times in 2,290 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Canada wins the silver medal in the women's rugby 7 final. Gold for New Zealand.

Team Canada is undefeated in men's basketball. Good win over Australia.

I am hoping that Canada has a chance to play the Americans. A great test to see how the Canadian team measures up against the Dream Team.

Canada has arguably the best backcourt with Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Jamal Murray. RJ Barrett is playing well.

As usual, Team USA is stacked with NBA stars. Kevin Durant only played limited minutes in USA's 110-84 win over Serbia.

KD had 21 points. 8 for 8 shooting. 3 for 3 for 3 pointers. Crazy efficient offence from KD.
Canada has 10 NBA players, 2nd most in the tournament, a medal is not out of the question.

crazy how KD is coming off the bench for this team. Tatum hasn't played yet either lmao.

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 12:21 PM   #32
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
What is this 3-on-3 Basketball event at the Olympics, that's kind of like courtyard game. Must be new, first time I remember seeing it ... like, really? OK, I guess the amateurs need one event to try and win a medal cuz the team basketball is all dominated by millionaires.

Dumfries from Richmond did not medal ... 5th in the 20 kms speedwalk.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 01:31 PM   #33

Thanked 1,810 Times in 935 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yeah and clearly their fencing program is top notch as well. I am curious to see how indoor cycling goes, now that Sarah Lee has retired. She's a legend and I wonder if the next class can take it from there
Having watched lots before and still watch some TVB dramas, fencing is often featured as a sport some random character on the show dabbles in. I never really realized it was really a thing in Hong Kong but I guess it is and kind of neat to see the success they're having.

McIntosh with another gold today damn she's a beast and is only 17? crazy

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2024, 01:38 PM   #34
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
The latest female boxing match between Algerian boxer Imane Khelif and Italian boxer Angela Carini is leaving another massive wokey black eye as an Olympic legacy.

Nicely done, IOC. Nicely done.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2024, 01:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post

McIntosh with another gold today damn she's a beast and is only 17? crazy
I seem to recall we had another amazing Canadian swimmer - Penny Oleksiak, didn't she also win a truckload of medals over a couple of Olympic games? Just looked it up and she took home 7!
Old 08-01-2024, 02:00 PM   #36

Thanked 1,810 Times in 935 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I seem to recall we had another amazing Canadian swimmer - Penny Oleksiak, didn't she also win a truckload of medals over a couple of Olympic games? Just looked it up and she took home 7!
Another beast for sure to me it feels like she has been competing for us forever and while she has she's still only 24!

Don't we have some Break dancer from BC that's competing and is the favorite as well?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 02:13 PM   #37

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,757 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Another beast for sure to me it feels like she has been competing for us forever and while she has she's still only 24!

Don't we have some Break dancer from BC that's competing and is the favorite as well?
You are referring to Philip Kim, aka B-Boy Phil Wizard. He lives in Vancouver.

https://olympic.ca/team-canada/philip-kim/
Old 08-01-2024, 03:53 PM   #38
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
The UN even weighing in with violence against women with the seemingly trans boxer KO’ing people

https://apple.news/AB_vVUlnTR1yrrxapqUKuwA

Nice work IOC, this will almost certainly be a topic that highlights these games if they win the gold.
Old 08-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #39

She quit after 45 seconds and cried after the match, what a loser

Old 08-01-2024, 04:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The UN even weighing in with violence against women with the seemingly trans boxer KO’ing people

https://apple.news/AB_vVUlnTR1yrrxapqUKuwA

Nice work IOC, this will almost certainly be a topic that highlights these games if they win the gold.
She's not trans lol

It's like complaining about Michael Phelps because he has big paddle hands
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2024, 04:51 PM   #41

Quote:
She's not trans lol
is it male or female?
Old 08-01-2024, 05:00 PM   #42

I know you guys like to troll here, and that's fine. But try not to turn into one of those twitter maga retards.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:06 PM   #43

Banned from every other boxing federation and athletes who trained their whole lives bow out after a single punch?

Sounds totally legit
Old 08-01-2024, 05:11 PM   #44

She's like 9-5 this year.. 5 women were able to somehow overcome her and beat her. She didn't medal last Olympics

But yes, she's tall and has whacky hormones, therefore trans, right? You realize if someone tried to be openly trans in Algeria, she would probably never be allowed to see the light of day? A lot of these fuckfaces are going after Katie Ledecky now too, because women can't possibly be good athletes.

You guys are being fooled by grifters and shitheads online, spreading hatred and ignorance. You're being no better than that idiot who posted a thread about drag queens reading to kids, with some weird random sex performance cut in to make ignorant people more upset.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #45

Dunno like seen a lot of mixed information but consistently failing tests in other boxing federations seems fairly suspect no?
Old 08-01-2024, 05:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Dunno like seen a lot of mixed information but consistently failing tests in other boxing federations seems fairly suspect no?
She had elevated testosterone in a test (I mean you would expect that right?) and a corrupt organization that no longer has ties to the IOC and moved itself to Russia also claimed she had male chromosomes.

She's a masculine woman, and that's that, like so many top athletes in the Olympics and all sports. There are no transgender athletes allowed at the Olympics. Better boxers have beat her, including in Tokyo. This loser quit after one jab to the face, and got everyone up in arms (I don't remember this controversy during Tokyo)

We've seen this a million times going back decades. In the 70's it was Billie Jean King who ignorant morons would call a man, just because she was so dominant. And then in the 80's it was Martina Navratilova, and the Williams sisters in the 90's and 00's, and so on.

Now it's this boxer.. The level of ignorance fueled anger is constant, but now it's being harvested for political gain.

Don't let yourself get harvested.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2024, 06:24 PM   #47

The Algerian boxer is deemed to have DSD -- differences of sexual development, and the condition causes her to have X and Y chromosome in each cell (a typical male pattern) and male-range testosterone levels. That gives her a genotypical and gender-related advantage over other female athletes which she competes against. Michael Phelps and his big paddle hands are merely a phenotypical and physical phenomenon. Genetically, he does not enjoy a significant advantage over his competitors.

It is true that Khelif is not undefeatable. At the same time, there is a reason we generally do not pit male athletes against female athletes in a competition.
Old 08-01-2024, 06:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The Algerian boxer is deemed to have DSD
What is the source of this? And has it been disputed?
Old 08-01-2024, 08:17 PM   #49

Quote:
What is the source of this? And has it been disputed?
I read it in one of the reputable European newspaper earlier today -- potentially the Independent or the Guardian. But now I can't seem to find the article again. Instead, most articles just mention the possibility of DSD, with Khelif not commenting on the speculation.

There is mention of Khelif being DSD from the IBA last year. However as those of us discussing this would probably know, IBA is not the boxing body running the show at Paris. The IOC-created body -- PBU -- makes no mention of gender / sex testing for the athletes. Gender indication on the athlete's passport seems to be the only requirement for an athlete to compete in the female category.

The IOC also did not deny that Khelif has been tested to have a high testosteron level -- although potentially, they may not have any testosterone level test results for the boxer at all. But in my eyes, only citing the passport requirement is a pretty weak and weasely clarification that has done little to clear out the rumours.

At the end of the day, this lack of clarity in the IOC policies is the real reason why we have this controversy now. This is a massive disservice to all athletes competing in the games, as well as a failure to the audience worldwide. Even if Khelif wins gold, there'll forever be an asterisk beside her name and the medal from IOC's policy vacuum.
Old 08-01-2024, 08:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I read it in one of the reputable European newspaper earlier today -- potentially the Independent or the Guardian. But now I can't seem to find the article again. Instead, most articles just mention the possibility of DSD, with Khelif not commenting on the speculation.

There is mention of Khelif being DSD from the IBA last year. However as those of us discussing this would probably know, IBA is not the boxing body running the show at Paris. The IOC-created body -- PBU -- makes no mention of gender / sex testing for the athletes. Gender indication on the athlete's passport seems to be the only requirement for an athlete to compete in the female category.

The IOC also did not deny that Khelif has been tested to have a high testosteron level -- although potentially, they may not have any testosterone level test results for the boxer at all. But in my eyes, only citing the passport requirement is a pretty weak and weasely clarification that has done little to clear out the rumours.

At the end of the day, this lack of clarity in the IOC policies is the real reason why we have this controversy now. This is a massive disservice to all athletes competing in the games, as well as a failure to the audience worldwide. Even if Khelif wins gold, there'll forever be an asterisk beside her name and the medal from IOC's policy vacuum.
Yes that IBA is a disgraced organization that was ditched for various reasons (not this one) related to corruption.

If she disputes it, then I believe her

She did pop for high test. From there they have to decide if they want to have strict rules for hormone levels, or base it on other things.

At the end of the day this is a woman using her physical tools like any athlete. She's not this man pretending to be a woman and destroying the field. She has been beaten.. This quitter got popped by a jab and quit.. She would get destroyed by some of the better women there (better than Khelif). This is not a controversial topic cause by policy, and there will be no asterisk if she wins, except from insane or ignorant people (who don't matter in the end).

So now she's being called a "faggot" by insane grifters, and being called transgender by people getting sucked in by these insane grifters.

My posts here are to hopefully open peoples eyes to what is going on, and not just blindly spread hatred.