REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-26-2024, 03:51 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
Taipei

Planning a trip to Taipei for the first time soon. Found some threads on previous RS threads but they are over 10 years old and taking about clubbing. Well I'm past that age and will be going with young kids..

Thinking 3 days for now, but can extend to 4 or more depending on if there's stuff to do. Where's the best area to stay in? Based on what I can find so far, seems like taipei main station would be the most convenient. Where are the places to hit up? of course the shilin night market. Taipei 101 tourist trap?

Any tips/tricks for transit, food, internet...etc would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 04:52 PM   #2
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Since your in the north, go to Jiufen, probably one of the more memorable places ive been globally.
1.5hrs by train, 45mins by car.
Could even stay up there for a night, theres a bunch of hotel/airbnbs with amazing views and unique interiors.

Other than that, dont recall much about the north, except for that greasy whore i porked, but this thread is about you

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 07:14 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,559 Times in 2,527 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
I love Taiwan. I would stay 4 nights myself, so much to eat. When we went we stayed in ximending.

+1 on jiufen.

Suggest the hot springs at beitou but not if you only have 3 days.

If you like seafood and sushi highly suggest Addiction Aquatic Development

Must try the beef pepper buns so fn good.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 08:56 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,433 Times in 562 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

Other than that, dont recall much about the north, except for that greasy whore i porked, but this thread is about you
This thread is about this and only this now.

On an aside.

Can't go wrong with staying anywhere along the MTR. If staying or arriving at Taipei Main, just keep in mind that there tends to be where the less fortunately and homeless camp out overnight and sometimes during the day too. Not dangerous persay, but it is what it is.

If you have time, definitely try to get out of the city and hit JiuFen as touristy as it is. Its just an amazing place.

I also really like Keelung. Worth staying a night up there as well. The night market and cuisine up there is fantastic and a little bit different from the main repeat stalls in Taipei.

Last edited by Teriyaki; 07-26-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 09:02 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Since you have kids, Taipei 101 is not too bad. It makes it easier if you have young kids because there is something for everyone. My wife and I enjoyed the Din Tai Fung there over the original location a lot more.

Alternatively, you could spend an entire day at the Taipei zoo, which is also great for adults and kids alike.

I echo what the others said about location. As long as you are near an subway station, you are okay, but try to do your best and select the one where one of the lines will get you to where you want to go.

Back in 2019, my wife and I stayed not too far away from the central station. It wasn't too bad, and yes, some homeless folk, but they are nothing like the ones in the Downtown East Side (Main/Hastings) so it's ok. The only scary part was a group of well-dressed men jumped out of a minivan and beat the crap out of a guy's scooter with baseball bats at a red light, like something you would expect out of an Asian gangster movie. That was legit scary. But once the light turned green, they were all considerate enough to hop back into the car and go their merry ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 12:26 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,501 Times in 955 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
For the young folks, please expand about the porking!

There's a mall that closes at night but the top 3 floors are all clubs and karaoke. The top floor were rooftop clubs that faced Taipei 101, looked epic.
Tables started at $250-300 CAD on a Saturday K-Pop night, crazy girl to guy ratio there!

I was there earlier this year and I got hit by the aftershock 6.1 earthquake and a 4.5 twenty minutes later, thought this was the end.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 02:06 PM   #7
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
The top floor were rooftop clubs that faced Taipei 101, looked epic.
Tables started at $250-300 CAD on a Saturday K-Pop night, crazy girl to guy ratio there!
Bout to derail this thread

Instagram sloots feeding off the crumbs of rich guys paying for their night, so they can 1up their selfie profiles

250-300 to enter a club is insane, the jew in me cant even mentally handle a 50$ cover

Better be getting some A+++ grade pussy the same night if your shelling out 250-300

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote