REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-13-2024, 11:13 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,309 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
lool looks like we can bring a 12-pack of soda per person... man that's actually more than enough, i dont think we can go thru 48 cans of pop in 7 days loooooool

That's drinking solved + will bring refill bottles as suggested for water @ the buffets XD

Magnetic hooks + power strip (non surge protected kind)

Yea, we wont do drink packages or wifi, i am hella cheap loool

I did splurge on the Skagway White Pass Railroad Summit Excursion & Train Tour
Oh keep in mind the fridge in the room isn't really a fridge, it's just a cooler that's a few degrees less than ambient. If you bring your pop and think you'll have ice cold pop you'd be in a rude awakening. But you can always go to the buffet and ask for a cup of ice
Advertisement
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 11:16 AM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
You can also go next level cheapo and on the last night of the cruise you can ask the front desk to remove the auto gratuities and avoid the dirty looks you get from the crew members.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 11:23 AM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,110 Times in 3,622 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
even i, the cheap hobo of chinatown, couldnt do it. The service onboard was excellent and those flips are some of the nicest people on earth.

couldnt do it...

food was too good, service was too good, and generally i know how hard these guys work (away from the family 8-9 months at a time, while being cooped up in a small stateroom with 4 other crew members)
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #29

Yeah when they make like $300usd a month working 12hr days every day it’s beyond scrooge to not tip. One time I was BSing with the crew and they were talking about the quality of Russian hookers at the brothel in the port of St Petersberg lmao.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 11:53 AM   #30
GS8

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
All the weight you are hoping to lose is about to go down the drain.
Well there's still Noro

JK
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 01:02 PM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,266 Times in 4,627 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
I remember some guy posting on the watch forums. Something along the lines of, "I don't go on a cruise to buy watches. I go on a cruise to catch Norovirus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 01:33 PM   #32
private modder

Thanked 2,764 Times in 776 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
even i, the cheap hobo of chinatown, couldnt do it. The service onboard was excellent and those flips are some of the nicest people on earth.

couldnt do it...

food was too good, service was too good, and generally i know how hard these guys work (away from the family 8-9 months at a time, while being cooped up in a small stateroom with 4 other crew members)
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 02:22 PM   #33
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
when i was in my 20s one of my best friends worked on a cruise ship for a few years as an acupuncturist. she kept nagging me to come cruise with them but i never did for whatever reason. it was like dirt cheap as her guest, i think maybe like 75% or more off? also i could drink in the crew bar after hours for like $1. still kick myself for not taking advantage of that.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 02:24 PM   #34

Oh plz. You just didn’t wanna bang her at her place of work.

That or you’re terrified of getting needled in the dick
Old 08-13-2024, 02:30 PM   #35
RS controls my life!

Failed 7 Times in 2 Posts
I just finished the Alaska Cruise with Princess Cruise few weeks ago for the first time. Here are some tips

1) All those upgrades/wifi/drink packages, are any of them worth it? The "per person per day" over 10 days really adds up quick~

We didn't get the WiFi/Drink package. My wife and I don't drink much and I don't want to let the kids use any internet during the family trip. As long as your phone plan have US-CAN you will be fine for data or call coverage. If you need to drink soft drinks. buy a few case and carry them onboard. The princess app which you will be using during the cruise can find where your kids are.

2) How much tips is the "norm" for the rooms/food/servers etc etc thru our the trip? Do I need to go exchange some "cash", like $300 USD in $5 bills, so I can just leave them whenever?

tips are included on your trip and will be pay at the end of your trip. We did however tip our regular server (clean your bed, restaurant server). you basically do everything with the "fob" they give you on the trip. no need cash unless you are buying stuff in the town.

3) The excursions looks hella expensive, but then again it's not like we will be going to a cruise every 2 years type thing, wanting to get the best experience, should I just splurge and be done with it?

We didn't do much excursions. only the train ride. word of advise. don't sit in the front of the train or you will be enjoying the exhaust for the whole train ride.

4) Specifically, if I don't book "dinners" now, I assume walk-in are extremely hard once you are already on the cruise

you can always walk in for the dinner. we booked our dinner everyday so we get the same server and the same table.

5) Worth it to park the vehicle for 10 days at Canada Place? Planning to just get my bro in law to drive us to the skytrain and we are planning to skytrain down to Canada place? Am I just being too cheap loool?

just skytrain. it is very close to the Canada Place.

6) Clothing, what are essentials that I must bring, what are some things that was like "if only I knew, or if only someone told me earlier"?

check the weather forecast. we brought rain gear, t-shirt and short pants. it won't be super cold. Bring a thicker jacket for the glacier view.
209.247.83.192:27015
JackAss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 02:43 PM   #36

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,309 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
when i was in my 20s one of my best friends worked on a cruise ship for a few years as an acupuncturist. she kept nagging me to come cruise with them but i never did for whatever reason. it was like dirt cheap as her guest, i think maybe like 75% or more off? also i could drink in the crew bar after hours for like $1. still kick myself for not taking advantage of that.
Could have banged her and all her friends too
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 02:44 PM   #37
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
just uber it to and from canada place if you're cheap? it's gonna be way cheaper than parking for 10 days unless you live hella far away.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 02:49 PM   #38

Oh yeah, turn off data roaming until you are on land cause if your phone connects with the ship cell signal (some boats have their own cell tower) and you have data on.. $$$$$$$$
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 04:25 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,247 Times in 613 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAss View Post
I just finished the Alaska Cruise with Princess

3) The excursions looks hella expensive, but then again it's not like we will be going to a cruise every 2 years type thing, wanting to get the best experience, should I just splurge and be done with it?

We didn't do much excursions. only the train ride. word of advise. don't sit in the front of the train or you will be enjoying the exhaust for the whole train ride.

Thanks man! That just saved my ass, my only gripe is that I booked the train ride on my own, so I wont be able to board the train right at the pier, will need to walk into town....

The excursion was already sold out from the Princess website, but managed to snag tickets from the official White Pass Railroad website... only thing sketch is that there are no official tickets, need to show up 20min early and use the confirmation to get tickets on the spot...

It was cheaper than Princess website by like $80 USD though... lolol

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 04:57 PM   #40

How dare you pay less than me for the same train ride ?!?!!!!!! Arrrghhhj Chinese heart attack !!!
Old 08-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #41
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,233 Times in 424 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Oh yeah, turn off data roaming until you are on land cause if your phone connects with the ship cell signal (some boats have their own cell tower) and you have data on.. $$$$$$$$
Some carriers have the ship satellite roaming blocked because it was a pain in the butt dealing with all the 'accidental' roaming even though you get a bazillion text warnings, "HEY YOU HAVE ROAMING ON AND IT WILL COST YOU MONEY"
"Oh I thought it was spam."
Friend who worked in customer service told me about someone who got annoyed by the warning messages/roaming bill limits and requested they be shut off.
Guess who called back in asking for credits on a $2k bill.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 08:36 PM   #42
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 15 Times in 6 Posts
I've cruised princess a few times.

Big tip for Princess out of Vancouver is that when you have the medallion you can skip the huge line to get the medallion, have it in your hand and skip right to the exit. This will save you at least half an hour.

Pay the tip on your final bill, it's $16 per person per day. If you buy the drink package, when you order poolside or at a bar you don't tip. When eat in the dining rooms you don't tip. When you get specialty dining you don't tip. It's all included in the end.

Just be careful, assume everyone is sick and try and keep your distance. Princess, especially Ruby will do back to back sailings even if a major norovirus or covid outbreak. I went a few months back, on the first night they cancelled the theater performance and brought in the comedian, he kept coming back unscheduled because the show performers were sick. By day 5 the buffet and dining rooms were very quiet, in the evening maybe 2 people in the main pool and only me getting burgers poolside. Around the same time I wondered why everything tasted like salt.

Just be careful, check out the FB groups for that particular ships prior sailings to get a feel for how careful you need to be.

Check your email the days prior to sailing. If they offer you a 100% cruise credit and free future sailing that's code for there's a major outbreak on the ship and please rebook. They offer this to the cheaper rooms, or the rooms with more than 2 people when the 3-4th sail cheaper or free.

Watch for the bid to upgrade 90-100 days out. I bid on all the rooms and managed to get the huge balcony for $6 less than my bro paid for a normal balcony.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #43
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 15 Times in 6 Posts
If you're in Van, Burnaby or Richmond, unless you live really close to skytrain just take an UBER.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 08:50 PM   #44
RS Veteran

Seems like a split consensus on take Skytrain vs. take Uber/taxi.

Someone here should just give the guy a lift.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2024, 09:12 PM   #45
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,822 Times in 5,893 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Uber from Surrey to Sunset beach is like $65..
Old 08-13-2024, 09:15 PM   #46
RS Veteran

Go donate, guys. Help dark0821 get to his cruise! www.gofundme.com/dark0821/uberfare_revscene
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2024, 09:58 PM   #47
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,248 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
Check your email the days prior to sailing. If they offer you a 100% cruise credit and free future sailing that's code for there's a major outbreak on the ship and please rebook. They offer this to the cheaper rooms, or the rooms with more than 2 people when the 3-4th sail cheaper or free.

Watch for the bid to upgrade 90-100 days out. I bid on all the rooms and managed to get the huge balcony for $6 less than my bro paid for a normal balcony.
Interesting! My coworker went on a Holland America cruise to Alaska a few months ago and she also got a really good balcony upgrade offer just a few days before her sailing. Good thing she accepted because she got Covid and had to stay in her room for most of the cruise…
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 10:10 PM   #48
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,360 Times in 1,792 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
1) All those upgrades/wifi/drink packages, are any of them worth it? The "per person per day" over 10 days really adds up quick~

I didn't read this whole thread so I'll tell you the trick I used for the WiFi. Pay for ONE device/person to get the WiFi then promptly set up a hotspot where everyone else can use it. It doesn't work when you are away from each other but chances are, you're going to be together the vast majority of the time when you're going to want to use WiFi.

2) How much tips is the "norm" for the rooms/food/servers etc etc thru our the trip? Do I need to go exchange some "cash", like $300 USD in $5 bills, so I can just leave them whenever?

On most cruise lines, you can already prepay your tips. Do this at the very start and you don't have to worry about tipping anyone more. However, I do tip the dining staff and the room cleaners more because these are folks I generally get more service from. Anything extra is great for them so feel free to tip an addition $20-50 for each person. I did this at the start and end of the cruise and received exceptional service.

I'm personally not an excursions kind of guy. However, if you do plan on doing any excursions make sure that you're doing through your ship. If, for whatever reason, the excursion runs late and it's not done through your ship, the ship will leave without you.

4) Specifically, if I don't book "dinners" now, I assume walk-in are extremely hard once you are already on the cruise

The regular sit down dining hall is great for all dinners. Specialty dinners are just that but I've never known them to sellout. Buffets for breakfast and lunch while the dining hall for dinner is great. The servers get to know you and reminder that you can order as much as you want aka two entrées or even the entire menu. I've ordered numerous items and have never had anyone refuse it. Make sure you reserve your time/slot so that you get the same people and seating.

5) Worth it to park the vehicle for 10 days at Canada Place? Planning to just get my bro in law to drive us to the skytrain and we are planning to skytrain down to Canada place? Am I just being too cheap loool?

I've done the limo, taxi, uber, and transit option. All are fine.

6) Clothing, what are essentials that I must bring, what are some things that was like "if only I knew, or if only someone told me earlier"?

It's basically going to Vancouver weather for the most part. Nothing that you need to pack that you wouldn't already pack for Vancouver. So have some raingear on you and you're good to go.

Alaska cruises are great for the scenery. Don't get caught up buying jewellery.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #49
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
1) Did not get drink package, it just wasn't worth it.
I bought wifi, and because i'm using android, i'm able to also teather while using wifi, that was pretty good. Just bring a battery pack and it does drain ur battery.

2) Never tipped unless it was the fine dining night at the end.

3) did not do excursions. We did get off the boat to look at stuff nad explore the city, the whole dophins crap are not cheap... did it 1 yr for the kids but never again with the rest of hte family.

4) have to book asap. do it same time same restaurant. saved us so much time and we always did 1st seating.

5) 10 days at Canada Place.. screw that.. just take an uber. so much cheaper.
When you leave, don't wait for taxi, take the train, go to your closest station and then taxi home. this way 1) no traffic jam 2) no shady drivers and 3) so much easier as it's not busy = no rush rates for uber.

6) Always bring less than you need. I did bring 2 swim suits so it can dry in time.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 10:18 AM   #50
RabidMod

Thanked 1,343 Times in 484 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
portable personal blender things for Christmas. He said he uses it on cruises to make his own smoothies with the buffet fruits lol
That's amazing.