REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2024, 09:02 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,309 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
School Me on Mattresses

I've been looking at memory foam mattresses for a long time since when the Casper stuff came out a few years ago, but we had a memory foam topper on a hard foam mattress(ala Seahorse style) and it's worked really well for us so we never really had a need to spend money.

My cat peed on the bed a few weeks ago(whole other dumb story that's actually our fault and not the cat's) and the topper went into the trash. We are sleeping on the hard foam mattress, which we did before we bought the topper, but I've been having terrible sleep as I am not used to it.

So school me on the memory foam brands, what are your experiences? What's good? What's bad? Anything that stood out?
Advertisement

Last edited by EvoFire; 08-14-2024 at 09:19 AM.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:09 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,181 Times in 1,967 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
We bought a Tempur-Pedic mattress recently, and we love it. Had it for about 6 months now and sleep great on it. They're a little more pricy, but totally worth it.

We got nervous going down one of the boxed foam mattress routes, they're cheaper but I've read too many mixed reviews.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:11 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,110 Times in 3,622 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
i would, and i practiced my own advice here, buy the most expensive mattress you can. DONT CHEAP OUT on your mattress. your sleep is your only time to recover from daily stresses. Treasure your sleep, and ensure you have the best possible sleep

Everyone likes something different, but I found the Tempurpedic the best for me

https://en.sleepcountry.ca/products/...-mattress.html

For a "foam" mattress its not hot, its very cooling, and its very supportive. I really enjoy the firmness of it.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
im no expert but i find anything sleep related to be highly personal so what one person recommends might not really work for another person. also high end doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. my best mattress was like $500 for a double like 10 years ago that i bought from mr mattress. same rule applies to pillows. my ex had neck problems from a bike accident and she went through at least five $200 pillows before she fell in love with ikeas cheapest pillow lol. i guess my point is try them all out and dont discriminate based on price and marketing.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:22 AM   #5
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Hobz already discriminates based on race, gender and sexuality... what makes you think he won't on price and marketing?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2024, 09:22 AM   #6

I guess I needed to clear it up a bit. I'm specifically looking for memory foam mattresses. I do very poorly on spring mattresses. Both of us like memory foam. I remember lying on mattresses at some store (forgot which) and liked the memory foam ones the most.

I agree with the subjectiveness of it all. We've bought a billion pillows (ok 6) going from the fancy $200 pillows to down to like $20. We are both currently using the novafoam(I think) pillow from Costco and it's been great. The $200 pillow went flat after 6 months, we got a warranty on it and it still wasn't great and we gave up on that one soon after.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:25 AM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
we just bought 2 mattresses.
TEMPURPEDIC- TEMPURPROALIGN-2- FIRM-QUEEN all in $2720
SEALY Posturepedic 800 Series Tight Top Extra Firm Mattress Double/Full 552.57

1) Sealy was cheaper than ikea junk
2) Temp - was easily 3400+ at brick, sleep country etc.

given we are in toronto but still, go look around at some distribution / wareshouse places.. it will be so much cheaper.

as to your cat / get water spill / waterproff sheet that goes under.. no idea what that is called, but we got one at Winners / homesense - best purchase ever.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:29 AM   #8

memory foam is good! just dont get the cheap shit (its really hot) as it retains a ton of heat.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:31 AM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,822 Times in 5,893 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Even expensive mattresses fuck there’s no guarantee it will work for you

We bought a mattress from Costco which from all accounts, was a re-branded serta mattress with the serta version costing $5800 or so (Kirkland one was $2700)

It’s fine however I feel like it’s far too soft for me, I’ll go sleep on friends shitty Casper etc. in their spare bedrooms and I feel like the support is much better than ours. Ours has a bit of a pillow top and I think that’s the cause of the discomfort I have wirh it.

With Costco of course I probably could have returned it but it’s a total nightmare to get anattesss up into our bedroom.

I think next I would try a posturepedic one etc. somthing maybe adjustable.

Craziest mattress I’ve ever felt was a friends organic foam mattress, thing was like $22,000 but the second you laid on it you kinda felt why it costs so much lol
Old 08-14-2024, 09:40 AM   #10
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,533 Times in 2,636 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Is yours an actual Seahorse mattress? As I recall, their thicker mattresses typically come with different levels of firmness on the 2 sides. So check both sides to make sure whether there is a softer side available.

I personally like the firmer side, and le wifey likes the softer side, so we generally sleep on the softer side.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:43 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
We recently grabbed a 3" memory foam topper from Costco and it makes the quality of the mattress underneath pretty much irrelevant. I put it on our hardwood floor just for kicks and you could just barely feel the floor through it. I think it's the Novaform one, it's bright blue. It included a mattress protector as well.

Personally I'd stick to the foam being separate from the mattress so that if anything happens to one or the other you're not having to replace the whole thing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
we just bought 2 mattresses.
TEMPURPEDIC- TEMPURPROALIGN-2- FIRM-QUEEN all in $2720
SEALY Posturepedic 800 Series Tight Top Extra Firm Mattress Double/Full 552.57

1) Sealy was cheaper than ikea junk
2) Temp - was easily 3400+ at brick, sleep country etc.

given we are in toronto but still, go look around at some distribution / wareshouse places.. it will be so much cheaper.

as to your cat / get water spill / waterproff sheet that goes under.. no idea what that is called, but we got one at Winners / homesense - best purchase ever.
Waterproof sheets are crunchy and uncomfortable, also they typically breathe poorly so that's a no. The cat thing was our own damn fault.

Good call on the warehouse thing. I'll have to shop on my own then and bring wife after I get all the notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Even expensive mattresses fuck there’s no guarantee it will work for you

We bought a mattress from Costco which from all accounts, was a re-branded serta mattress with the serta version costing $5800 or so (Kirkland one was $2700)

It’s fine however I feel like it’s far too soft for me, I’ll go sleep on friends shitty Casper etc. in their spare bedrooms and I feel like the support is much better than ours. Ours has a bit of a pillow top and I think that’s the cause of the discomfort I have wirh it.

With Costco of course I probably could have returned it but it’s a total nightmare to get anattesss up into our bedroom.

I think next I would try a posturepedic one etc. somthing maybe adjustable.

Craziest mattress I’ve ever felt was a friends organic foam mattress, thing was like $22,000 but the second you laid on it you kinda felt why it costs so much lol
What's cheap and shitty about Casper? That's the kind of feedback I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Is yours an actual Seahorse mattress? As I recall, their thicker mattresses typically come with different levels of firmness on the 2 sides. So check both sides to make sure whether there is a softer side available.

I personally like the firmer side, and le wifey likes the softer side, so we generally sleep on the softer side.
Our's is a knockoff and it does have the softer/harder side. We are already on the softer side. Wife isn't having any problems, so it's just me.

We could just go buy another topper from Costco for $170. They still sell the same thing. But we are also looking at upgrading from our queen bed to a king bed.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:47 AM   #13

Well maybe they aren’t cheap or shitty if I prefer them over my more expensive one I guess lol

I think there is just a perception that the beds in a box are a lesser product than a traditional foam or spring mattress, which, I feel like is not the case then lol

Also all the bed in a box places seem to have a decent return policy
Old 08-14-2024, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
don't be a pussy!

I pulled right up to the front, threw the damn mattress out onto that trolly like a boss. Also with no help from spy balloon either because shes too embarrassed to be seen doing this peasant shit

this old chinaman, give me a thumbs up and a big shit-eating grin on his face like you win this round...

ps. also returned those stupid rachet straps to amazon, cuz fuck you, I'm done with it now.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:35 AM   #15

lol that’s rough even when I had a truck bringing a king sized mattress to the dump was a pain in the ass lol I folded it down with ratchet straps but was considering cutting it in half lol
Old 08-14-2024, 10:40 AM   #16

King size mattress on the Camry ranks as one of my top returns to Costco. Best is returning a 10 year old treadmill via golf sportwagen claiming it didn’t work cuz I’m still fat.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2024, 10:52 AM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,181 Times in 1,967 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
You really are a frugal chinaman.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2024, 11:05 AM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Have you tried a foam/spring mix mattress?

I use this and find it comfy and firm but not too firm.
https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signa...100569558.html
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 11:15 AM   #19
private modder

Thanked 2,764 Times in 776 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Memory foam mattresses aren't as good for people who overheat at night. So we got this tempur-pedic "Cool breeze" mattress. It was ridiculoulsly expensive. With the mattress, and the pillows, the protector, and the solid base, I think over $5k if not more.

But I gotta admit, it's really nice. When we sleep in hotels, we realized how much better we like our mattress at home.

The sleep country salespeople are highly trained with their tactics so watch out for that if you decide to go that route, I can give you more advice there.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2024, 11:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
You really are a frugal chinaman.
It’s cultural I think. Or maybe it’s cuz I grew up dirt poor so being thrifty is now apart of my very being.
Old 08-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #21

Thanked 1,808 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
im no expert but i find anything sleep related to be highly personal so what one person recommends might not really work for another person. also high end doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. my best mattress was like $500 for a double like 10 years ago that i bought from mr mattress. same rule applies to pillows. my ex had neck problems from a bike accident and she went through at least five $200 pillows before she fell in love with ikeas cheapest pillow lol. i guess my point is try them all out and dont discriminate based on price and marketing.
Not to mention even the definition of "firm" differs.

Western brand: firm mattress
Seahorse: hold my beer

I've used seahorse my entire life, at home I specifically have the diamond version and use the softer of the 2 sides. But even the softer side is probably 2 or 3 times firmer than any Western brand that I've seen anyway. The extra firm side however is nuts though that's a little too nuts for me.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 11:56 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
We have a spring mattress with 1.5 inches of latex. A bit more firm than I like it, but it was my wife's preferred choice. I am a side sleeper, so I need a little more cushion...
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 12:08 PM   #23

Sounds likes I need a sea horse in my life..

Btw if anyone is looking for bedding, Canadian down and feather has top notch products

We have their super kind hudderite down duvet, it’s fucking amazing. Regulates your temperature, nice and heavy, etc.

They are regularly between 1100-1200 I think but they can be had on sale for about $850 if you follow the email chain
Old 08-14-2024, 12:36 PM   #24
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,571 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
get a nice mattress, hit up a sleep country or similar and "test drive" literally lie on a bunch of brands, firmness, types, etc and see what feels good.

also if you get a mattress that's too firm or your tastes (or back) changes over time, you can also get a cover to change it up. we got a costco "pillow top" cover that made our firm mattress a bit softer

and to finish... when i hear about mattress/bed talk i think of this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: