REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-21-2024, 07:23 AM   #51
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Yah, I don't really like either party trying to get celebrities to endorse them ... who the hell cares how George Cooney or Taylor Swift or Aaron Rodgers votes.
Americans love celebrity, how else did Reagan ever get into office? Or Trump for that matter.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
What mess you lying shit bag? Which wars did the Dems start? Which financial crises did they start?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._e...arty#Inflation
Please go take a look at inflation rates under each presidents. Democrats have usually raised them relative to their corresponding Republicans predecessors, and republicans have usually lowered them after their democrats predecessors.

Learn to actually read instead of just googling for keywords to support your point.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:28 AM   #53
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
hehe why don't you support your own points with data?
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 07:33 AM   #54
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Please go take a look at inflation rates under each presidents. Democrats have usually raised them relative to their corresponding Republicans predecessors, and republicans have usually lowered them after their democrats predecessors.
Like supa said right here?

Quote:
Blinder and Watson found that since 1945 the average inflation rate was higher under Republican presidents than under Democrats, though inflation tended to rise under Democrats but fall under Republicans.[1]
Quote:
Learn to actually read instead of just googling for keywords to support your point.
Oh the irony.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 07:53 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
hehe why don't you support your own points with data?
I don’t even need to look for it. It said right there in the link he posted. That’s why I said he needs to learn to actually read the whole thing instead of googling on keywords as he’d miss the whole context.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S....arty#Inflation

First paragraph:

Blinder and Watson found that since 1945 the average inflation rate was higher under Republican presidents than under Democrats, though inflation tended to rise under Democrats but fall under Republicans
Old 08-21-2024, 08:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Like supa said right here?

Oh the irony.
Indeed.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:14 AM   #57
SFICC-03*

hehe, read the actual source from that wiki paragraph. the cover page of the article linked says this:

Presidents and the US Economy: An Econometric Exploration
Alan S. Blinder
Mark W. Watson

Abstract
The US economy has performed better when the president of the United States is a Democrat rather than a Republican, almost regardless of how one measures performance. For many measures, including real GDP growth (our focus), the performance gap is large and significant. This paper asks why. The answer is not found in technical time series matters nor in systematically more expansionary monetary or fiscal policy under Democrats. Rather, it appears that the Democratic edge stems mainly from more benign oil shocks, superior total factor productivity (TFP) performance, a more favorable international environment, and perhaps more optimistic consumer expectations about the near-term future. (JEL D72, E23, E32, E65, N12, N42)

this is your actual source, not mine.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:19 AM   #58

If you actually took Econ 101, please explain the relationship of real and nominal.

When you induce inflation like crazy and only measure economy by GDP, of course the data will look better when Dems take place.

That’s why it’s usually the Republicans cleaning up after the Democrats. To balance the inflation.

And if you actually bothered to read actual data rather than rely on googling (hence using Wikipedia as source) you will see the trend of republicans taking policies to reduce inflation while Dems take on policies to induce inflation.

Last edited by Hehe; 08-21-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 08:50 AM   #59
SFICC-03*

again, this is YOUR source buddy.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:56 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post

this is your actual source, not mine.
I want to point out, this is not a source I trusted. I merely pointed out that Supa was actually supporting my very point with a source that he thought proved his point.

But I think this is what happened.

He saw my post about Reps always cleaning up after Dems, went batshit crazy in disbelief, and googled "which US parties had higher inflation?" or something along that line as a rebuttal.

He then saw the first sentence "Blinder and Watson found that since 1945 the average inflation rate was higher under Republican presidents than under Democrats" then he jizzed and came back to call me a lying shit bag thinking that he found the perfect evidence.

I kept using that because that very source he used, the Wikipedia page said the very thing I said originally, where Reps are usually Dems' mess cleaner.

No apology anywhere even though I pointed out that the very source he used to call me a "lying shit bag" proved my very point.

So again, read instead of just taking points to support your argument/narrative.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:57 AM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
I don’t even need to look for it. It said right there in the link he posted. That’s why I said he needs to learn to actually read the whole thing instead of googling on keywords as he’d miss the whole context.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S....arty#Inflation

First paragraph:

Blinder and Watson found that since 1945 the average inflation rate was higher under Republican presidents than under Democrats, though inflation tended to rise under Democrats but fall under Republicans
Hey dumbass do you know WHY inflation goes up? It's not covered in Econ 101 but it is covered in 201.

https://www.rba.gov.au/education/res...in%20inflation.

Quote:
More jobs and higher wages increase household incomes and lead to a rise in consumer spending, further increasing aggregate demand and the scope for firms to increase the prices of their goods and services. When this happens across a large number of businesses and sectors, this leads to an increase in inflation
Under Democrats inflation increases b/c employment is going up driving up demand resulting in rising inflation. Under Republicans employment decreases and lowers demand resulting in falling inflation.

That average inflation is lower under Democrats is indicative of better financial management - the rise is signal of increased economic performance.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 09:04 AM   #62
SFICC-03*

Quote:
I want to point out, this is not a source I trusted. I merely pointed out that Supa was actually supporting my very point with a source that he thought proved his point.

But I think this is what happened.

He saw my post about Reps always cleaning up after Dems, went batshit crazy in disbelief, and googled "which US parties had higher inflation?" or something along that line as a rebuttal.

He then saw the first sentence "Blinder and Watson found that since 1945 the average inflation rate was higher under Republican presidents than under Democrats" then he jizzed and came back to call me a lying shit bag thinking that he found the perfect evidence.

I kept using that because that very source he used, the Wikipedia page said the very thing I said originally, where Reps are usually Dems' mess cleaner.

No apology anywhere even though I pointed out that the very source he used to call me a "lying shit bag" proved my very point.

So again, read instead of just taking points to support your argument/narrative.
if you're going to quote that source in an argument against someone else (me) then you are taking ownership of that source. you can't have it both ways.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:07 AM   #63
Performance Moderator

Maybe hehe can explain the economics of why Trump held a rally in Howell, Michigan yesterday... a population of 10,000 people.

I mean, what are the economics there? Why is a 10,000 people town so important that it gets its own rally from a presidential nominee? Michigan has 10,000,000 people in it, so why go to a town that represents 0.1% of the population for a rally? That seems a bit weird doesn't it?

I wonder why he chose that place?

Oh yah, it's because it's been a hub for KKK actions since the 1970's.

But... economics.

Spoiler!
Old 08-21-2024, 09:14 AM   #64

Quote:
Hey dumbass do you know WHY inflation goes up? It's not covered in Econ 101 but it is covered in 201.

https://www.rba.gov.au/education/res...in%20inflation.

Under Democrats inflation increases b/c employment is going up driving up demand resulting in rising inflation. Under Republicans employment decreases and lowers demand resulting in falling inflation.

That average inflation is lower under Democrats is indicative of better financial management - the rise is signal of increased economic performance.
Oh yeah. Not only I did 201, but also 365 and 415.

To give you a short version of why inflation is created is when money generation happens at a quicker pace than real economic output.

And who can generate money out of nothing? The government or the central bank depending how you look at things be it Keynesian or Neo Keynesian.

And the very link you posted, if you follow back to its source and read it as well as many of its own source materials, it will then tell you that Dems have a history of spending money quicker than the economy can produce while reps did the opposite.

Therefore inflation tends to rise under Dems and drops under reps
Old 08-21-2024, 12:19 PM   #65
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,181 Times in 1,967 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I've never heard a person make a credible argument that Republicans are better for the economy, every statistic and economist I've listened to, book read, have always said the exact opposite.

Republicans, most notably the modern neo-conservative flavor are a net negative to the economy, and that's proven by any statistic. If you can prove the opposite, cite that then, Hehe.

You can't, because you're full of shit.

Look how wonderfully bad the Conservatives have run the UK economy over the last 14 years.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 12:57 PM   #66
Performance Moderator

I mean it's totally missing the point... economic arguments are NOT the basis of this election.

Electing someone who is going to tear apart human rights, potentially get rid of elections entirely, promote racist agendas, take away women's rights and impose penalties for being anything but white are some of the issues of this election.

I couldn't care less if there's even a 5% difference in unemployment or 10% inflation gap between a couple of candidates and their policies when that other shit's on the table. The fact that there isn't that economic gap just makes it an even more of a nothingburger topic.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 01:04 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,756 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I mean it's totally missing the point... economic arguments are NOT the basis of this election.

Electing someone who is going to tear apart human rights, potentially get rid of elections entirely, promote racist agendas, take away women's rights and impose penalties for being anything but white is the issue of this election.

I couldn't care less if there's even a 5% difference in unemployment or 10% inflation gap between a couple of candidates and their policies when that other shit's on the table. The fact that there isn't just makes it an even more nothingburger of a topic.
100 percent. My four American cousins, all women, hate Trump for what he stands for. Cheeto is a liar when he says that he knows nothing about "Project 2025".

Project 2025 would destroy American democracy and potentially make the fat Orange a dictator:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c977njnvq2do

-from the article:

The Project 2025 report was unveiled in April 2023, but liberal opposition to the document has ramped up now that Trump has extended his polling lead.
The Republican nominee himself has distanced himself from the proposal.

"I know nothing about Project 2025," he posted on his social media website, Truth Social. "I have no idea who is behind it.

"I disagree with some of the things they're saying and some of the things they’re saying are absolutely ridiculous and abysmal."

But the team that created the project is chock-full of former Trump advisers, including director Paul Dans, who was chief of staff at the Office of Personnel Management while Trump was president.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:38 PM   #68
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Therefore inflation tends to rise under Dems and drops under reps
Did you miss the part where it said the average is still lower under Dems even when accounting for increases? You're selecting the slimmest of facts to make a claim that Republicans are better at running the economy and citing the one period of high inflation with Jimmy Carter (when inflation was high globally) to make a point that is patently false.

Under Democrats the economy:
- Has higher GDP growth
- Has lower unemployment
- Has lower inflation
- Has higher individual income growth
- Smaller deficits (who's doing the borrowing of money and driving inflation here? Republicans. Who's cleaning up the mess of deficits? Dems)
- Higher stock market returns (11% vs 6% - no small amount)
- Higher corporate profits (13% vs 2%)
- Fewer recessions (10 out of 11 Republicans had one)

Your best friend even chimed in on this:

Quote:
During a March 2004 interview, Donald Trump stated: "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans."
What kind of dumbass are you that you would side with the party that makes you poorer? That causes your stock portfolio to grow slower? To slow your income growth?
Old 08-21-2024, 05:10 PM   #69

You are missing the point entirely. Neo Keynesian believes that market will adapt and auto correct/balance itself. And it’s what US/CA has been doing. Take turn between liberal/left and conservative/right governments.

But the fact has usually been that Dems or liberals are the one who spend money (raising inflation) and Reps/Conservatives who cut the money output (cutting inflation) to balance the equation.

If you are too confused to understand that concept, I suggest to take more Econ classes. They help. Anything from Econ fundamentals to advance game theory have discussed this topic to death. Just because a statistic is higher or lower doesn’t mean they are better than one another.

You can check all Econ books out there, whether it’s Keynesian or neoclassical oriented, but the fact doesn’t change; Dems tend to raise inflation when they are in power while reps clean up for them so that Dems can spend again on social programs.

In fact, when talking economic growth vs inflation, where you get a sense of real economic growth, Dems have not done much better when their economic growth is deep in the negative region (when inflation did not account for same growth comparing to gdp increases, creating a negative real economic growth)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:21 AM   #70

Ahhh, Keynesian economics.

Now you're parroting talking points from thinktanks like the Fraser Institute or Heritage Foundation, quite a dated way of thinking, Hehe.
Boring.

How old are you, out of curiosity?
Old 08-22-2024, 04:52 PM   #71

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Oh shit if this is real!!!

Old 08-22-2024, 05:18 PM   #72
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,822 Times in 5,893 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
The “surprise” visit by Oprah.. someone only slightly less of a POS than Trump but it’s for da libssssss
Old 08-22-2024, 06:01 PM   #73

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The “surprise” visit by Oprah.. someone only slightly less of a POS than Trump but it’s for da libssssss
You are comparing a person who grew up poor pregnant at 14 who became a billionaire to a guy born with a gold spoon up his ass and somehow bankrupted a casino. How the fck do you run a casino into the ground?
Old 08-23-2024, 11:10 AM   #74

DNC had prior Republican Party members at their convention, giving speeches on stage, and supporting Kamala. They were able to pull together Democratic members that have been in the party for decades to show their support. Why? Because they're a true party, unlike the cult of personality that has become the Republican party.

The RNC didn't have a single Democrat, much less a Republican that has served in office for more than a term show their support.

Let that sink in.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 11:54 AM   #75

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
You are comparing a person who grew up poor pregnant at 14 who became a billionaire to a guy born with a gold spoon up his ass and somehow bankrupted a casino. How the fck do you run a casino into the ground?
She's more successful but she's still a terrible person.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: