REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-19-2024, 04:33 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Kamala Harris Thread

It's her coming out party this week in Chicago. I guess since she is the official nominee of the Dem party and candidate running against Trump, we should start an official Harris thread.

... all the best on ya and wishing you success. I'll be the first to admit that I was surprised of your early 'success' and popularity. Keep it going and hope this thread doesn't fade after November and you have some longevity (which would imply that you won and Trump didn't).

Obi Wan ... you are our only hope.
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2024, 07:51 PM   #2
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I like that they held it in Chicago, which is the lost city to all Republicans... and that they put a Trump and Vance are weird sign on the Trump Tower lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 08:02 PM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,190 Times in 8,386 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Watching clips from the convention, AOC killed it. 2032?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 08:09 PM   #4

Warnock hit a home run for me ... like a black Gospel preacher, echoes of MLK!

This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2024, 08:32 PM   #5
Performance Moderator

Wow Warnock is so inspiring, could always do with less god's children mumbo jumbo but his heart and mind are in the right place which is what counts
Old 08-19-2024, 09:47 PM   #6
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,533 Times in 2,636 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Personally (at least for now), I find Hillary to be a far more capable political figure than Harris has been so far, and I am honestly very surprised by how well received (and apparently popular) Harris has become since announcing her intentions to run for the presidency. In many ways, I feel like she found herself in her current position as a result of all the stars aligning just right, and she happens to be the right person at the right place at the right time. But alas, that's how life often turns out.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 12:03 AM   #7
Performance Moderator

I think it speaks volumes as to just how bad of a candidate Biden had become.

Trudeau should take note...
Old 08-20-2024, 12:42 AM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
The tan suit is back baby!!!

Old 08-20-2024, 04:06 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,190 Times in 8,386 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Hillary was so unlikeable that fucking Donald Trump became president. Think about that. He turned the country into literally a joke.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2024, 06:19 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Personally (at least for now), I find Hillary to be a far more capable political figure than Harris has been so far, and I am honestly very surprised by how well received (and apparently popular) Harris has become since announcing her intentions to run for the presidency. In many ways, I feel like she found herself in her current position as a result of all the stars aligning just right, and she happens to be the right person at the right place at the right time. But alas, that's how life often turns out.
100%. She seems to actually be a pretty clumsy politician when she's put on the spot and asked to explain a policy or position and it's her story that's inspiring, not really her IMO.

She just happens to be a pretty reasonable Democrat that fits the mold of what people are thinking or are open to.

I'll take competence over corruption but I'm keen to see who runs in 8 years to replace her - I like the potential of AOC.
Old 08-20-2024, 06:26 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,110 Times in 3,622 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
now i really want a piece of southern fried chicken w/ butter chicken sauce
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 08:17 AM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
i have yet to see hillary in the news lately, i doubt she got the vote internally or the likeability vote despite how well she can action and how she holds herself.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 08:27 AM   #13
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,360 Times in 1,792 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
100%. She seems to actually be a pretty clumsy politician when she's put on the spot and asked to explain a policy or position and it's her story that's inspiring, not really her IMO.

She just happens to be a pretty reasonable Democrat that fits the mold of what people are thinking or are open to.

I'll take competence over corruption but I'm keen to see who runs in 8 years to replace her - I like the potential of AOC.

I hope that I'm wrong but I fear that she's too far left to have widespread american appeal. Think Bernie Sanders.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2024, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Hillary was so unlikeable that fucking Donald Trump became president. Think about that. He turned the country into literally a joke.
All I can say to that is people are idiots. In particular, enough American voters were idiots who were stupid enough to think Trump would be the more preferable president than Hillary would. And given Trump's 4 years of office, we all know those American voters that voted for Trump were idiots.
Old 08-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #15
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP0RzBkab2w

I hope that I'm wrong but I fear that she's too far left to have widespread american appeal. Think Bernie Sanders.
bernie didnt just lose because he was not well adopted though. actually a lot of centerists liked bernie, even some ppl who lean right liked him because he was so genuine. even joe rogan loved the guy and now that buffoon endorses RFK jr. he could have had the primary but the establishment snubbed him and pushed hillary. i think if he went against trump he could have actually won.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2024, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
All I can say to that is people are idiots. In particular, enough American voters were idiots who were stupid enough to think Trump would be the more preferable president than Hillary would. And given Trump's 4 years of office, we all know those American voters that voted for Trump were idiots.
Actually, Clinton won the popular vote or pure votes for Prez ... it's their electoral college system that tipped it over for Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ults/president

Doesn't minimize the number of idiots in US
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2024, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Watching clips from the convention, AOC killed it. 2032?
She is definitely a very good speaker, and mostly did her rallying role extremely well in her speech. In particular, her story-telling of her roots as a bartender was extremely effective in getting the average working and middle class Americans to resonate and build rapport.

At the same time, I think she tried too hard to appeal to the lower working class. It just comes across as too much of a hard sell. My eyes rolled and my mind tuned out when she went onto that blitz of "Kamala is for you" LOL~

I also found her Gaza comment to be eye-rolling. Try as she or Harris might, there is no denying or escaping any of the responsibility that the current gov, of which Harris is a crucial part of, has failed Gaza. Harris may well be working her hardest to prevent any further tragedies in Gaza, and may well haved worked her a$$ off to prevent them in the first place. But none of that changed the outcome in Gaza. Trying to spin that failure any other way just seemed like a poor strategy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I agree with this as well. AOC needs to expand her public support among the centralists and right of center if she has any ambitions to shoot for something higher than her House of Representatives seat.
Old 08-20-2024, 10:33 AM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,309 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
She is definitely a very good speaker, and mostly did her rallying role extremely well in her speech. In particular, her story-telling of her roots as a bartender was extremely effective in getting the average working and middle class Americans to resonate and build rapport.

At the same time, I think she tried too hard to appeal to the lower working class. It just comes across as too much of a hard sell. My eyes rolled and my mind tuned out when she went onto that blitz of "Kamala is for you" LOL~

I also found her Gaza comment to be eye-rolling. Try as she or Harris might, there is no denying or escaping any of the responsibility that the current gov, of which Harris is a crucial part of, has failed Gaza. Harris may well be working her hardest to prevent any further tragedies in Gaza, and may well haved worked her a$$ off to prevent them in the first place. But none of that changed the outcome in Gaza. Trying to spin that failure any other way just seemed like a poor strategy to me.

I agree with this as well. AOC needs to expand her public support among the centralists and right of center if she has any ambitions to shoot for something higher than her House of Representatives seat.
The counter point to Gaza, does the average American care? I don't feel like it rings as hard as the Russia/Ukraine conflict. Gaza won't matter to most Americans until it really causes some external conflicts that would halt shipping
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 11:14 AM   #19

I don't have a good grasp on how the average American care about Gaza (or the Russia-Ukraine war, for that matter). People with Jewish or Palastinian ties would obviously care, and it seems like Jewish Americans tend to have more political influence on American politics than Palastinian Americans would.

But in light of the largely failed movements at various universities to protest against the Israeli gov a few months ago, how much do you think the US geneal public care about Gaza? Or were those movements largely confined to young and impressionable ugrad students?
Old 08-20-2024, 11:23 AM   #20
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
how much does the general public care about any issue that doesnt affect them directly? not very much. gaza is a major human rights catastrophe and if people can't care about what's going on there then they probably don't really care about anything outside of their bubble. i'm not casting judgement but that's just the way i see it. it's about as serious as it gets over there.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2024, 11:28 AM   #21
Performance Moderator

Yah I mean like... from what I can tell, it's pretty atrocious over there.

But it's so hard to tell what the real story is nowadays with all the misleading media stories and manipulation of what's presented to us... that makes me jaded about whether what I'm seeing or reading is factual to a certain extent.

Also not having a great grasp of the politics or realities of the area make me feel like, well, I just don't know enough to through my hat into the arena of opinion on it.

I just wish they'd all stop killing each other trying to appease their stupid sky daddies. That would be a great start.
Old 08-20-2024, 12:57 PM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,365 Times in 460 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Currently living in the states
Generally left leaning
wtf is with the policy proposals coming out of Kamala camp?

Raising the corporate tax, unrealized capital gains and grocery price control?
How about some sort of way to increase upzoning, reduce car dependence so ppl have more money to spend, and improve healthcare??

Structural changes are the bold bets I was expected, not some BS taxation.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 08-20-2024 at 01:44 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 01:47 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Currently living in the states
Generally left leaning
wtf is with the policy proposals coming out of Kamala camp?

Raising the corporate tax and groceries?
How about some sort of way to increase upzoning, reduce car dependence so ppl have more money to spend, and improve healthcare??
They can't. Their only strategy is to appeal (*read* buy votes) to the population who has no family and no home in the name of "we care for you so let's fuck the giant corporations and billionaires".

The money that they guarantee will never be enough to do anything meaningful. But it gets that population hooked to the ideology that they depend on the gov't to do anything.

Giant corporations and billionaires move their operations to places where tax/treatments is more favorable, taking away all jobs with them.

More people become this class of people that depend on the gov't.

When they run out of giant corporations and billionaires to tax from, they will change the strategy to "we care for you so let's fuck the big corporations and millionaires".

Rinse and repeat until everyone is equally poor. There you go... their ultimate goal: equal outcomes. To a sense... they will achieve what they want. Everyone is the same.

Don't believe what I said? Look at their policies... nowhere in there is about how to balance the sheet or how to make people/business prosper. It's tax tax and more tax, then benefit, benefit and more benefits.

It never occurred to them the idea that if people are rich with money to spare, you wouldn't need any benefits.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:53 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,365 Times in 460 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
fwiw I think it's really hard for corporations to escape the US, market is too large and valuable.

I just think their campaign should've played it safe.
By being "not trump" and light on policy, could probably have picked up enough moderate republican votes.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 02:02 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
fwiw I think it's really hard for corporations to escape the US, market is too large and valuable.

I just think their campaign should've played it safe.
By being "not trump" and light on policy, could probably have picked up enough moderate republican votes.
They will stay for as long as the number makes sense. But the jobs would be gone.

Take a look at Detroit. It was THE place to be half century ago. Now?

These are individuals/corporations who has no problem spending millions of dollars for a highly sophisticated tax scheme that optimizes their taxes and billions of dollars moving their human-hungry operation somewhere else.

But I agree with you. If they have stayed a bit more to the center, they'd probably appeal to more people. Too bad it's all the way to the left.