REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #3051
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
I took the knowledge from a fellow RS member of how he wore an N95 and then another mask on top. I did that hoping to prolong the usage of the N95 mask by a day or two.

It's really hard to breathe with this on...
Can't imagine myself going for a jog with it on.
i'm sorry but that is idiotic.
Advertisement
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #3052
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
anyone purchased masks from aliexpress? Looking to get some for myself and for my parents who are still going out to buy groceries since they don't have delivery service near their home.

And RS Group buy??
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #3053
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1244467644968861713

Sucks that we have to rely so much on Amazon, which offers such a useful service, but is run by one of the shittiest people ever
I know Amazon has wormed their way into a lot of things, but I really don't get why people like using their terrible search function to overpay for things.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #3054

Failed 17 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
They should stay home and show their support by posting on social media and, if they can afford it, donating to a charity to that helps the cause.
An alternative could also be doing a blood donation as well if they are capable of donating.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #3055
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I know Amazon has wormed their way into a lot of things, but I really don't get why people like using their terrible search function to overpay for things.
ya you really have to research to make sure you're not getting screwed on stuff from them.

bought some RTV ultra black gasket maker the other day from a local shop for like $9....amazon wanted $17
blkgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #3056

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I read something on saying you can “revive” masks by putting them in a toaster oven for 30 minutes at 70C/158F. Didn’t really read into thoroughly since I don’t keep the masks at work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/com...tm_name=iossmf
You can also just put them in a sealed bag and leave them for about 9 days. Since the virus doesn't live on surfaces for any longer than that.
You'd probably want to develop a system of rotating a circulation of them so you're not waiting 9 days between.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #3057
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Guy who co-wrote I Love Rock n Roll died of corona apparently he was still performing gigs a couple weeks ago and dismissed his cold

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52089768

Quote:
Alan Merrill: I Love Rock 'N' Roll songwriter dies of coronavirus
By Mark Savage
BBC music reporter

The co-writer and original singer of I Love Rock 'N' Roll, Alan Merrill, has died after contracting coronavirus.

His daughter Laura shared the news, saying the 69-year-old had been healthy enough to play shows a few weeks ago.

"He played down the 'cold' he thought he had," she wrote, before warning other families not to be complacent.

"You don't think It'll happen to you or your strong family. It has," she wrote. "Stay home if not for you, for others. For my dad. This thing is real."

I Love Rock 'N' Roll became a global hit for Joan Jett in 1982 and has been covered by artists ranging from Britney Spears to Weird Al Yankovic.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #3058
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
i'm sorry but that is idiotic.
which part?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #3059
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
anyone purchased masks from aliexpress? Looking to get some for myself and for my parents who are still going out to buy groceries since they don't have delivery service near their home.

And RS Group buy??
If you want to risk the mask not up to standard or is poorly made and fall into pieces then go ahead.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #3060
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
**delete please**

Last edited by SeXinLuDe; 03-30-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: accident
SeXinLuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #3061
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 39 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post

And RS Group buy??
I purchased masks from 72hours.ca but they are expensive. They are local company and the masks seem to be good quality if that helps
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #3062
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
https://www.artscow.com/masks

They have masks shipped via fedex.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #3063
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
If you are having trouble finding masks, make one for now. It's still a lot better than nothing:

There are other instructions around, including in the related videos on this one
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #3064

This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #3065
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,184 Times in 1,969 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
This. Apparently at VGH they ended up having quite a few false negative results to some COVID cases.

There were a few patients that were tested numerous times and came back negative for COVID, but the third test those same patients eventually showed up as positive.

This was as a result of recent understanding that the virus can reside further down your throat, or nasal passages. With that newfound information, they are now swabbing much further down the throat/nose.

Kind of scary though, there might have been cases where the person tested negative and was able to be out there in the population. I wonder how many other hospitals throughout the world were making that same mistake in the initial stages?
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #3066

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
This. Apparently at VGH they ended up having quite a few false negative results to some COVID cases.

There were a few patients that were tested numerous times and came back negative for COVID, but the third test those same patients eventually showed up as positive.

This was as a result of recent understanding that the virus can reside further down your throat, or nasal passages. With that newfound information, they are now swabbing much further down the throat/nose.

Kind of scary though, there might have been cases where the person tested negative and was able to be out there in the population. I wonder how many other hospitals throughout the world were making that same mistake in the initial stages?
They had the exact same problem very early on when it was mostly just China and HK and SG. They learned that they had to jam the swab way in to test properly, since it's a deep infection. I just thought the graphic image of it was interesting

I thought it would have been common knowledge by the time it became a pandemic... If a geek like me knew about it months ago, why didn't the people doing the tests?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #3067

Thanked 5,184 Times in 1,969 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
They had the exact same problem very early on when it was mostly just China and HK and SG. They learned that they had to jam the swab way in to test properly, since it's a deep infection. I just thought the graphic image of it was interesting

I thought it would have been common knowledge by the time it became a pandemic... If a geek like me knew about it months ago, why didn't the people doing the tests?
No clue. This was information I had found out only a week or so ago, to where they were learning this.

It has to be understood, we're all somewhat in the dark here with this virus.

If anything it shows that in this so called information age, there is a real gap between the transferring of knowledge between institutions both externally and internally.

Heck, only the last week have we been hearing to now wear masks ffs. There is a lot of dubious information going on out there, and those who wish to foment confusion and doubt.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #3068

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If you want to risk the mask not up to standard or is poorly made and fall into pieces then go ahead.
What is the risk when you get 30% effectiveness from wearing a poorly made mask than 0% from not wearing one at all?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
No clue. This was information I had found out only a week or so ago, to where they were learning this.

It has to be understood, we're all somewhat in the dark here with this virus.

If anything it shows that in this so called information age, there is a real gap between the transferring of knowledge between institutions both externally and internally.

Heck, only the last week have we been hearing to now wear masks ffs. There is a lot of dubious information going on out there, and those who wish to foment confusion and doubt.
Your post made me look back through the thread (btw I posted about the false negatives and having to swab deep on Jan 28). It is pretty interesting going back, watching us learn all about this shit as it developed. Once we get out of this situation, this thread will make a great time capsule of people learning about a new disease as it formed. I'm sure there are many examples all over the internet.

Speaking for myself personally...

-I saw myself go from "waiting for WHO to confirm before believing" something, to absolutely not trusting them

-Being skeptical on masks, thinking they were only useful if you're sick, unless 99% wears them they are probably unnecessary (but I did anyway for social acceptance)

-I can tell that my distrust of China was well earned and because of it, I ended up predicting a lot of things that happened. Our experience with SARS showed HK and Taiwan not to trust them, and because of that they are in better shape than the otherwise would be.

-"90 deaths a day is going to seem like a tiny amount in a few weeks"

-"150 now (cases in BC), expect it to be 300 in 4 days, 600 by next week. And so on..." wrote that 2 weeks ago, and was failed for it (BC is at 970 now)

-Lots of cases of people learning and changing their minds, but almost as many of people just refusing to accept reality. This is what separates the ignorant from the stupid, I guess.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #3070

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,288 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
There more

Spoiler!

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #3071
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
If you don't want to pay high priced mask, but there is an old 3M half face respirator with no filter sitting at home, you might try this, much cheaper than buying a box of surgical mask.

1. clean and test the respirator inlet and outlet, you might cover either airway with your hand to test whether there is a leak.

2. Get a 3D-printed filter adaptor / holder, you can either print it yourself or order it online. I paid mine for $10 from a buddy who has a 3D printer.

3. Filter can be anything. TP, kitchen paper towel, cutting surgical mask into small pieces, HEPA filters from hardware store etc.

I found the A/C store sells highgraded H12 HEPA filter in large fabric ($10/yard), I simply sandwiched the cut up surgical mask and HEPA filter together. Theoretically, it should keep me safe in the crowd.

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #3072

Yey Capitalism!

Old 03-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #3073
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 77 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Harsh.

China is buying Up the world.
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #3074
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
The tweet targets the Chinese businessman but his isn't the only private hospitals that are threatening to close, but what can they do if they're not getting funding to stay open?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #3075
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
He should be publicly executed and have his money redistributed among the public, or better yet go to fighting this disease. After all this is over, the next major world event will be an all out class war.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: