REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #1126
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
U.S. refuses entry to more than 100 people from Canada as a result of coronavirus measures

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-cor...nada-1.5487696
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #1127
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
The us Canada is grossly unprepared, worse in the us. How we don’t have situations worse than Korea or Italy, Iran, is baffling

Also, found out my moms friend was in Wuhan, and rushed back to Taiwan, and then Vancouver, because she feared borders may close (before wuhan) went on lockdown. She flew to Taiwan first, because she was afraid she’d be asked if she was in wuhan...

It’s been over a month though, so guess she’s in the clear, but wow, this honour system of Canada’s is so naive, and irresponsible
I can't say Canada is stupid. My friend, currently staying with us right now, was 2 states beside Wuhan before CNY. When they saw Wuhan had red flags, they left. Then Wuhan locked down. Quarantined for 14 days in China, then flew to HK before it shut down, then another quarantine for 14. HK for 3 weeks and now in Canada.

We had utmost respect when they told us their experience being only able to walk at the park for 1 hr a day, and 1 person allowed to buy groceries.

"You really can't hide from the internet, they can track you." *duh... "If you wanted to leave (back then), you can easily go to Eastern Europe, drive/fly within Europe and leave; lots of money & hours wasted but hey.. if you want to leave, there are ways."

I don't understand what people want Canada to do? Start shutting borders? Lock people up?
When Canada is ranked at #22 on the global charts with 46 cases only (march 6) and when countries (swizerland + spain + norway with double / triple the caes) aren't even merely reacting crazy... why would Canada impose any crazy shutdowns is beyond me.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #1128
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
the stats dont fucking matter anymore at this point

dozens of cases blew up in hours...it's anyone's guess how many are undetected

unless we see school disctrict closures, buses/trains wiped down, public events canceled etc....we are not even close to doing the bare minimum

it's absolutely asburd how taiwan with so many ties to China and a high population density is outperforming canada...go figures at our garbage health care system (yes I work in it)

https://www.voanews.com/science-heal...ighbors-report
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 12:15 AM   #1129
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...virus-n1149986

Irony. Medical screener at LAX infected. Story's bad either way you cut it. 1) infected while screening travellers? Don't think they've found any cases while screening, so they've missed someone. How many people did she infect via her screening interactions?
2) Didn't get it at work? Community spread.
Neither option is good.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #1130
Banned By Establishment

Failed 275 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
It’s been over a month though, so guess she’s in the clear, but wow, this honour system of Canada’s is so naive, and irresponsible
People coming from China and Iran don't give a shit, do you really think they will "self-isolate"? We need to start compensating people for it with our tax dollars. Oh wait....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ians-1.4841712
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #1131
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Can't confirm or deny but I was utterly shocked on why Iran had cases, could it be due to this? Maybe not ALL but some?

"Iranians licking holy shrines in religious tradition amid nCoV fears"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-outbreak.html

Last edited by 6793026; 03-06-2020 at 09:38 AM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #1132
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Italy had 49 more deaths today... they have the most deaths outside of China. But they're trying to say 85% of those who died "didn't die due to coronavirus, they died WITH corona" because they had other health issues like being old, lol wow, no shit
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #1133
I don't get it

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tive-for-virus

I've known a few baggage handlers at YVR. Not the cleanest of people lol.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #1134
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 29 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
The us Canada is grossly unprepared, worse in the us. How we don’t have situations worse than Korea or Italy, Iran, is baffling

Also, found out my moms friend was in Wuhan, and rushed back to Taiwan, and then Vancouver, because she feared borders may close (before wuhan) went on lockdown. She flew to Taiwan first, because she was afraid she’d be asked if she was in wuhan...

I dont think the honor system is really working but thats my opinion.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #1135

Failed 29 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I can't say Canada is stupid. My friend, currently staying with us right now, was 2 states beside Wuhan before CNY. When they saw Wuhan had red flags, they left. Then Wuhan locked down. Quarantined for 14 days in China, then flew to HK before it shut down, then another quarantine for 14. HK for 3 weeks and now in Canada.

We had utmost respect when they told us their experience being only able to walk at the park for 1 hr a day, and 1 person allowed to buy groceries.

"You really can't hide from the internet, they can track you." *duh... "If you wanted to leave (back then), you can easily go to Eastern Europe, drive/fly within Europe and leave; lots of money & hours wasted but hey.. if you want to leave, there are ways."

I don't understand what people want Canada to do? Start shutting borders? Lock people up?
When Canada is ranked at #22 on the global charts with 46 cases only (march 6) and when countries (swizerland + spain + norway with double / triple the caes) aren't even merely reacting crazy... why would Canada impose any crazy shutdowns is beyond me.
I dont know the stats so this is just my presumption, other countries are actively testing people and can report more cases.

Canada on the other hand is telling people to quarantine themselves and only be tested if they show symptoms. So I believe Canada does not have the full picture.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #1136
I don't get it

Dr. Richard Hatchett, Chief Executive Officer of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations

Full interview here:

Last edited by eclipseman; 03-06-2020 at 11:09 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #1137
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
I dont know the stats so this is just my presumption, other countries are actively testing people and can report more cases.

Canada on the other hand is telling people to quarantine themselves and only be tested if they show symptoms. So I believe Canada does not have the full picture.
Or their just being rational.

“18,000 Americans have died during this years flu season starting in sept” :

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...virus-covid-19

The fear of the unknown is the fear. However, as that article I posted up top said, many legitamite doctors and scientists feel that the mortality rate is actually lower than what has been reported.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-06-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #1138
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
the average influenza strain doesn't kill otherwise healthy 30/40 year olds
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #1139
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
It was nice knowing you all.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ning-1.5488469

Yokohama round 2, Vancouver edition, my body is ready. Gonna be another case of, "but they showed no symptoms and tested negative when we tested them!" and meanwhile everyone tests positive after they return home to their respective countries.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #1140
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
People still trying to compare this to the flu? ffs
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
People still trying to compare this to the flu? ffs
Yea, because clearly the flu is far more worrisome.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the average influenza strain doesn't kill otherwise healthy 30/40 year olds
Of the 3400 people worldwide who have died (an absolute minuscule number) how many were under 50, healthy/without a compromised immune system/already or already sick with an unrelated illness?

A fraction of that?

Don’t worry bro’s, by the summer corona you’ll be as concerned with Corona as you were with Kony
Old 03-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #1143

You're lucky that there are people who know better that are looking out for people like you.

It may not be enough, but I really hope it is.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #1144
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Why does it matter if it's better or worse than the flu? I would still prefer not to experience the worst flu symptoms of my life by getting COVID-19, or unknowingly pass it to my almost-senior parents and have them die.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Why does it matter if it's better or worse than the flu? I would still prefer not to experience the worst flu symptoms of my life by getting COVID-19, or unknowingly pass it to my almost-senior parents and have them die.
They’re more likely to win the lottery than that scenario play out.

But you better go panic buy things anyways
Old 03-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #1146
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
They’re more likely to win the lottery than that scenario play out.

But you better go panic buy things anyways
I'm not sure why you such disdain and a condescending attitude towards people who are preparing. More power to you if you feel you and all your loved ones can survive this without doing anything.

Have fun I guess?
Old 03-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #1147

Ironically it would be more likely that you or your relatives unable to get care for something OTHER than this virus that would lead to their demise, because medical services will be so overloaded that they wouldn't be able to receive care.

It's been explained what the issue with this virus is, I don't know why people are choosing to be ignorant about it
Old 03-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #1148

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
I'm not sure why you such disdain and a condescending attitude towards people who are preparing. More power to you if you feel you and all your loved ones can survive this without doing anything.

Have fun I guess?
My beef is with this gross, uncivilized behaviour where people are rolling out shopping carts full of rice and buying up every roll of TP and paper towel out of ignorance rather than preparation.

It’s no difference than the disgusting behaviour displayed when there was the salt shortage during “snowmagedon” people selfishly hoarding regular items that should be available to all for really, no reason.

You’re buying perishables to “stock up” well if things get really bad, those aren’t going to last long

You’re buying TP and Paper towel based on the assumption that the China effect will effect supplies however virtually all paper products available locally are produced and distributed within Canada.

This same thing has happened all the time and it’s always the same people who freak out. The ignorant, and uninformed. I can remember the exact same scenarios playing out in elementary school, high school, etc. Friends parents who had no grasp on reality terrified for the next epidemic, so much so they wanted their kids to stay home, no one to come over etc.

Weird how all those people are still around and no one ever even ended up getting sick..
Old 03-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #1149

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
so, just got back from pr,

US side
me: that nexus scaner doesn't seem to be working
US Border: thank you

Canadian, do u fell sick, have u travelled anywhere in past 2 weeks.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
My beef is with this gross, uncivilized behaviour where people are rolling out shopping carts full of rice and buying up every roll of TP and paper towel out of ignorance rather than preparation.

It’s no difference than the disgusting behaviour displayed when there was the salt shortage during “snowmagedon” people selfishly hoarding regular items that should be available to all for really, no reason.

You’re buying perishables to “stock up” well if things get really bad, those aren’t going to last long

You’re buying TP and Paper towel based on the assumption that the China effect will effect supplies however virtually all paper products available locally are produced and distributed within Canada.

This same thing has happened all the time and it’s always the same people who freak out. The ignorant, and uninformed. I can remember the exact same scenarios playing out in elementary school, high school, etc. Friends parents who had no grasp on reality terrified for the next epidemic, so much so they wanted their kids to stay home, no one to come over etc.

Weird how all those people are still around and no one ever even ended up getting sick..
You're talking about two different things though

1) Coronavirus is a threat
2) There are people who aren't doing the right thing, and causing an inconvenience

You're going on about #2, but attributing it to #1 not being true
This post thanked by: