REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #226
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Turkeys inflation is at 55% and I don't think they are printing money and giving it to the poors there.
Switzerland has a lower inflation rate than Japan and their social safety net is huge. Your causation isn't real.
Seems like inflation correlates pretty heavily with inequality and high percentages of property and wealth owned by a shrinking portion of an economic area, combined with reliance on importation of goods. Supply control mixed with demand.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #227
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,145 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
This you? https://twitter.com/joeymannarinous/...BXGGzdZwUeAfbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Ahahaha. Since when did theverge became the impartial authority on net neutrality and how Twitter handles their algorithm?
I wouldn't want you to accuse me of asking for handouts like a poor person I pulled myself up by my bootstraps, got out of the line at the Food Bank, cancelled my welfare check and did a bit more digging: https://www.platformer.news/p/yes-el...special-system

A source that even Elon acknowledges via a meme he posted

Quote:
By Monday afternoon, “the problem” had been “fixed.” Twitter deployed code to automatically “greenlight” all of Musk’s tweets, meaning his tweets will bypass Twitter’s filters designed to show people the best content possible. The algorithm now artificially boosted Musk’s tweets by a factor of 1,000 – a constant score that ensured his tweets rank higher than anyone else’s in the feed.

Internally, this is called a “power user multiplier,” although it only applies to Elon Musk, we’re told. The code also allows Musk’s account to bypass Twitter heuristics that would otherwise prevent a single account from flooding the core ranked feed, now known as “For You.”

That explains why people opening the app Monday found that Musk dominated the feed, with a dozen or more Musk tweets and replies visible to anyone who followed him and millions more who did not. Over 90 percent of Musk’s followers now see his tweets, according to one internal estimate.

Musk acknowledged his bombardment of the timeline on Tuesday afternoon, posting a version of the popular “forced to drink milk” meme in which one woman labeled “Elon’s tweets” forcibly bottle-feeds another woman labeled “Twitter” while pulling her hair back.
I know that since I'm not vaccinated from the Woke Mind virus and you are that I'm probably too dumb to understand how the left has corrupted me with handouts though so feel free to correct me.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #228
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Ahahaha. Since when did theverge became the impartial authority on net neutrality and how Twitter handles their algorithm?

If you are in any way literate in basic programming, I suggest to take a look at Twitter algorithm that they published on GitHub. There are many programmers who took a dive into it. So, you don’t need crazy amount of programming knowledge to understand how the algorithm behaves.

The problem nowadays is that people take what media is saying with authority. When times after time they have shown to be either biased or flat out wrong. They just want to push content that their readers want to see.

Really, education is powerful. Get yourself some basic understanding on many stuff before you start to rely on theverge for analysis.
That's not true. The code posted doesn't really illuminate how the algorithm actually works, and with Musk pay walling API access, it's impossible to actually deduce how its system actually functions.

https://www.wired.com/story/twitters...a-red-herring/

https://www.engadget.com/what-did-tw...194652809.html

It's equivalent to capturing an enigma machine but without its cipher keys and code books. You have the machine, but can't quite confirm how exactly it works without that reference information.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:30 AM   #229
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Turkeys inflation is at 55% and I don't think they are printing money and giving it to the poors there.
Switzerland has a lower inflation rate than Japan and their social safety net is huge. Your causation isn't real.
Seems like inflation correlates pretty heavily with inequality and high percentages of property and wealth owned by a shrinking portion of an economic area, combined with reliance on importation of goods. Supply control mixed with demand.
You need to dive deeper. Turkey might not have handout money to their people directly, they handed out money to its economy like it's free in order to bring many of the productions domestic instead of continuing to import stuff.

The problem is that, they are not very good at doing that. And when the central bank pump so much money into businesses to produce things ineffectively. That money goes into the economy one way or the other.

And when you pump so much lira into the market, while still relying on imports for many many life necessities, what do you get? Life necessities that are still being imported becomes extremely expensive, and businesses that import them need to be forward looking with their pricing. They need to make sure that if they sell one banana for 10 lira today, they need to at least be able to import another banana. And if they need 12 lira to import another banana, they will price the banana today at 12 or higher because otherwise they can't sustain the business.

Either way, the source of inflation is simple. Central bank printing too much money. They are the only one who can legally do it. And when a dollar is worth less today than it was yesterday, price gets adjusted and you get inflation.

The only true way to get inflation under control is to cut spending (or handout from government to whoever). But our government (or even the US/EU counterparts) aren't willing to do that. And what can the Fed of BoC do? They can't dictate gov't expenditure. So the only thing they can do is to raise interest rate in order to crash the economy. When people have no demand because everything is too expensive, price will have to either go down or cease to exist as a product being offered for sale.

What happens when economy goes kaput? People who are used to handouts... ask for more. Hey... the handout you are giving is no longer enough to buy all the bananas I need? You need to come up with more so I can still buy all that bananas. This is the fucked up problem with government handouts. When you give money to the people... say for them to be able to have bananas... very few actually go planning around what they can do with that money in order for them to get more bananas without problem in the future. They just go buy bananas.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
That's not true. The code posted doesn't really illuminate how the algorithm actually works, and with Musk pay walling API access, it's impossible to actually deduce how its system actually functions.

https://www.wired.com/story/twitters...a-red-herring/

https://www.engadget.com/what-did-tw...194652809.html

It's equivalent to capturing an enigma machine but without its cipher keys and code books. You have the machine, but can't quite confirm how exactly it works without that reference information.
Oh come on... you just linked to the 2 publications that their editors have strong negative bias against Elon Musk.

Again... get some independent review of their codes and actually read into the code itself and how they behave instead of just someone with whatever bias in the middle to explain it to you.

In the link that supafamous posted... the headline reads:
Twitter is secretly boosting Elon Musk, Dril, and MrBeast for some reason

You replace the word Elon Musk, Dril and MrBeast with say Joe Biden, Democrats and BLM and the statement will still hold. It dissects "relevant" tweets in any political affiliation, believe for whatever topics and rank those tweets high to push to users who are interested in that particular topic.

Here is a decent video that dissects it in normie's term to understand:

Old 04-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #231

Quote:
Oh come on... you just linked to the 2 publications that their editors have strong negative bias against Elon Musk.
I know man! The only trusted source of news is Fox News right? They even just paid $787 million to Dominion Systems in a defamation lawsuit just so they could keep telling the truth without any bias and now they're gearing up to pay at least that much more to Smartmatic (if not more) because they believe in telling the truth so much that they're willing to put their money where their mouth is. Everyone else is a bunch of cowards afraid of the biased liberal citizenry - Washington Post, NYT, National Post, Globe and Mail - all just mouthpieces of Jagmeet Singh.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #232

I'm going to say this here once for all before we drag this further.

I might seem right-leaning, but the truth is, I am really at the center. I follow politicians from both sides of spectrum and reads from publications on both sides as well.

My believe is that, only by taking stories from both sides, and see the evidences myself (whenever possible), will I be able to reach a decent conclusion on any topic.

Why do I know Engadget and Wired are biased? I read them almost on a daily basis. I have them both in my bookmark and subscribed to my Apple News feed. There is a particular direction that they take in their editorial approach and all I can say is that it's certainly not neutral.

And whenever something that interests me comes up, I try to understand the same story from both sides of the argument. Don't take information for granted.

Have I even linked to any right-leaning media? Nop. Because I don't trust them just like I don't trust left-leaning media. I have always been in the middle. Dare I say slightly left in the grand scheme of things. It's just the progressive left has moved so far left, that I'm no longer on the left side of the middle point.

"Lefties" in this thread... what I suggest you to do... before you post any link to any leftie publication to even try to make an argument, try to search the very same topic on the rightie publication and see what they say about the same topic. And you will see the problem with media nowadays. They lack any specificity to the topic.

Read again to those articles you have linked. Say talking about Twitter algorithm... what do they say?

Oh... it boosts topics about righties!
But they don't say the same thing goes to topics about lefties.

Oh... Twitter published the source code of algorithm! However, we can't confirm whether there's something else going on that we don't know!

How about the fact that neither can you confirm that nothing else is going on.

They just take a part of the information and run their narrative with it.

The same reason why when I said "Most people are lazy" and Westopher interpreted as "poor people are lazy". He took the piece of information I posted, overlapped it onto his narrative, and run with it.

Is it anywhere near to what I actually posted? No. Is it fake? Not really... because I said most... and that includes poor and rich people. One needs to get to the source of it and really understand before arriving to a conclusion.

I did read through the source code posted publicly. Granted, my programming skill might not be able to understand 100% of every detail in it. But what I did get was 100% of the framework that governs the algorithm and the detail just fills all the puzzles in between. And I didn't see any evidence that favors one side or the other. And assuming that's the code that Twitter is running... the only variable is the user him/herself. It's all depends on the user's preference and content gets pushed accordingly.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:16 PM   #233

Quote:
My believe is that, only by taking stories from both sides, and see the evidences myself (whenever possible), will I be able to reach a decent conclusion on any topic.

I also want to hear what the Nazis think, the good Nazis at least.

Quote:
"Lefties" in this thread... what I suggest you to do... before you post any link to any leftie publication to even try to make an argument, try to search the very same topic on the rightie publication and see what they say about the same topic. And you will see the problem with media nowadays. They lack any specificity to the topic.
Only lefties would cite information that Elon himself confirms to be true like how Twitter's valuation is now less than half the purchase price or that Elon's tweets are deliberately prioritised higher than others. Only lefties would cite evidence such as ad revenues being down 89% or daily active users are down 10% year over year.

But as you say, objectively, the metrics show that Twitter is better than before even if lefties say the metrics don't show it.

Meanwhile the right is busy letting us know that not ALL of the people Elon reinstated are Nazis. Some of them are just misogynists or racists.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:26 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

I also want to hear what the Nazis think, the good Nazis at least.

Only lefties would cite information that Elon himself confirms to be true like how Twitter's valuation is now less than half the purchase price or that Elon's tweets are deliberately prioritised higher than others. Only lefties would cite evidence such as ad revenues being down 89% or daily active users are down 10% year over year.

But as you say, objectively, the metrics show that Twitter is better than before even if lefties say the metrics don't show it.

Meanwhile the right is busy letting us know that not ALL of the people Elon reinstated are Nazis. Some of them are just misogynists or racists.
Yeah yeah... it's always the tRumpet.

Lefties are complaining Elon Musk's takeover on Twitter mainly on one thing from what I can see... it no longer *support* their ideologies.

But the fact is, I find the information now found on Twitter to be much better in a sense that it's no longer pushing any particular agenda; any extreme posts, be it right or left, will get fact-checked with the source to the information.

This allows the center/neutral person like I am feel much better and much more bearable. It used to be so extreme. It's either extreme right or extreme left. And worse of all... they aren't even the truth. It's just each side taking some facts and run their own narrative with it.

That's how I feel about Twitter now.

And as far as left/right political view goes, I just support the idea that hardworking, law-abiding citizen can make a decent living. I don't like the idea of people free-riding. I FULLY support the idea of giving support for people who need help. The less privilege kids should be able to receive the education or the attention they need.

But it absolutely bothers me that we need to take (make worse) of one group of people in order to give (make better) of another group of people when there is no string attached.

What the fuck is people suppose to act when they face no consequence of their stupid actions? We are only human. We make many along many mistakes in our life. The idea is that we learn from it and prosper by not doing it again. And yet what do we get? In extreme progressive left, they are basically saying... "ok, you did something stupid when it was your chance. But how do you know the thing was stupid instead of just you?". We fucking know because we did better after not doing those stupid things.

The idea now is "to question everything". While that in itself is not wrong. It's insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. When a person is addicted to drugs, to gambling or to whatever bad stuff... we know life can be made better when you just cut out of it and become sober. Instead, they keep providing people access to those bad habits in the sake of "sympathy".

That's no fucking sympathy. That's the ideology of "I want these people to stay fucked up so we can continue to pretend we are doing something to make the world a better place".

I fully support a program to get people sober up. Have programs that deal with their issues... be it mental, social or whatever. But I don't support one bit the approach of "if we make the bar lower, then we can all pass". This is a disrespect for those who work hard to beat the bar. And just have a society where we have nothing but people who want low bars.

Look at Portland. It used to be THE city where I want to live if I didn't have to worry about anything else. It's hippie. It's fun. It's weird. Now it's just a fucked up place that I wouldn't visit unless I absolutely have to.

I still follow MLK's I have a dream speech to heart. But what we have today in America and Canada is NOT what MLK envisioned in his dream.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #235
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
@hehe what's your twitter?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
@hehe what's your twitter?
PM me if you want to follow. But it's just an account I use to read. I very rarely post on it.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:29 PM   #237
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
PM me if you want to follow. But it's just an account I use to read. I very rarely post on it.
Maybe you should start... You'll find more like-minded folk there.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #238

I had to look it up on Twitter just to verify that this convo really happened cause how can these Elon simps be so stupid. One guy turned his account private, presumably after getting dunked on too much.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:03 AM   #239

Lol also who the fuck pays $50 a day for weed.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #240

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
The guy who thinks your name on a Starbucks cup is a shout-out?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 10:37 AM   #241

Thanked 4,764 Times in 826 Posts
Failed 883 Times in 161 Posts
Elon ended up giving out blue check marks to celebs who would not stop whining about losing them. unbelievable. Stephen King, Bill Shatner, Charlie Sheen, Steve Martin, Mark Hamill. every one of them millionaires squawking about having to pay.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:39 AM   #242

https://twitter.com/maxkennerly/stat...BXGGzdZwUeAfbw

He’s adding the checkmark to dead people too. Kobe, Anthony Bourdain…
Old 04-23-2023, 10:53 AM   #243

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to say this here once for all before we drag this further.

I might seem right-leaning, but the truth is, I am really at the center. I follow politicians from both sides of spectrum and reads from publications on both sides as well.

Why do I know Engadget and Wired are biased? I read them almost on a daily basis. I have them both in my bookmark and subscribed to my Apple News feed. There is a particular direction that they take in their editorial approach and all I can say is that it's certainly not neutral.

And whenever something that interests me comes up, I try to understand the same story from both sides of the argument. Don't take information for granted.

Have I even linked to any right-leaning media? Nop. Because I don't trust them just like I don't trust left-leaning media. I have always been in the middle. Dare I say slightly left in the grand scheme of things. It's just the progressive left has moved so far left, that I'm no longer on the left side of the middle point.

Read again to those articles you have linked. Say talking about Twitter algorithm... what do they say?

Oh... it boosts topics about righties!
But they don't say the same thing goes to topics about lefties.

Oh... Twitter published the source code of algorithm! However, we can't confirm whether there's something else going on that we don't know!

How about the fact that neither can you confirm that nothing else is going on.

They just take a part of the information and run their narrative with it.

The same reason why when I said "Most people are lazy" and Westopher interpreted as "poor people are lazy". He took the piece of information I posted, overlapped it onto his narrative, and run with it.

Is it anywhere near to what I actually posted? No. Is it fake? Not really... because I said most... and that includes poor and rich people. One needs to get to the source of it and really understand before arriving to a conclusion.

I did read through the source code posted publicly. Granted, my programming skill might not be able to understand 100% of every detail in it. But what I did get was 100% of the framework that governs the algorithm and the detail just fills all the puzzles in between. And I didn't see any evidence that favors one side or the other. And assuming that's the code that Twitter is running... the only variable is the user him/herself. It's all depends on the user's preference and content gets pushed accordingly.
Wired is left leaning now? Come on, I've never heard anyone say that

https://www.allsides.com/news-source...%20of%20Center.

It's rated as center.

You're too much bud.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 11:09 AM   #244
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,940 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
The guy who thinks your name on a Starbucks cup is a shout-out?
$8 is pretty cheap to hear your name screamed out loud

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 12:08 PM   #245

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:

It's rated as center.

You're too much bud.
1. Make absurd unsubstantiated claims and opinions
2. Be completely disproven with sources claiming otherwise
3. Claim the sources to be biased, regardless whether it's accurate or not.
4. Tell the other person to do their own research from unbiased sources
5. Repeat from Step 1.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #246

Quote:

It's rated as center.

You're too much bud.
Center is left when you are actually far right and consider it center.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #247

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Everything is relative and in some cases, subjective.

Or sometimes.... You grab a handful from your asshole and... I don't know where I am going with this.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:41 PM   #248

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Or sometimes.... You grab a handful from your asshole and... I don't know where I am going with this.

awwwww yeahhh grabbing stuff from assholes
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2023, 03:32 PM   #249

https://time.com/collection/100-most...lon-musk-2023/

Time Magazine, another one of those ultra woke left wing lamestream media outlet chimes in on Elon with Kara Swisher's words.

Quote:
I first met Elon Musk in 1999 when he was just another Silicon Valley techie with a startup (in his case, X.com). But he soon distinguished himself using his boundless imagination and relentless drive that has landed rockets on platforms in the ocean, pioneered the electric-vehicle revolution, and changed how we think about energy in many forms. Cool, right?

Not so much these days, because what I did not see coming a mile off was Musk’s wholesale transformation into the world’s richest online troll after his purchase of Twitter. It’s a shame, because much of what he has tried to do over his career—even if some of it is still an aspiration—has been bold and inspirational, especially compared with most of the more anodyne techies for whom a better online dating service is the peak of innovation. But under Musk’s erratic rule, Twitter has become a nonstop grievance tantrum we must all endure, and he wastes far too much of his time fiddling on his toxic violin while it burns. What’s the opposite of progress?
Old 04-23-2023, 06:20 PM   #250
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
I met a guy irl like this recently. He legitimately thinks the Canadian Liberals are an extreme left wing party and that the Conservatives are slightly right of center.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote